Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    Oops, yes, it still is, mostly because I completely forgot to post the next round of voting on Friday So let's extend it through this week and do a viewing How about tonight or tomorrow?

Well... obviously too late for tonight but how about tomorrow. Anyone up for a RT viewing of Nemesis / Small Victories tomorrow? The usual time?

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
    hallo, how's everyone today?

I was wondering if there's any record of this missing dialogue of Sam&Jack from D&C, you know, the force field scene? Maybe someone has the script or something. I'm just dying to find out what they said to each other!

Funnily enough this did come up some time ago. It was scripted but not said but nobody here has or has seen the script. I'd dearly love to know what was scripted but, you know, the it was a good call on them not to say it because it works so well without words. And wordless longing looks epitomise the Sam/Jack relationship so well.

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
    :: wanders into thread feeling dejected ::

WHY! WHY did I not keep a notebook by my bed??? Last night as I drifted off I had this fantastic idea for my story for how the scene should play out but now it's GONE. GONE I tell you. I'm staring helplessly at my half written scene trying to remember WHAT it was...

:: mutters ::

:: mutter some more ::
    When I was travelling a lot (and writing X Files fanfic) I used to drift off a bit - you drive on autopilot after a while - and I'd come up with ideas and dialogue all the time. I bought a dictaphone in the end. If something came to me I'd just note it down on that. It went everywhere with me that dictaphone... work, bed, the lav, you name it.

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
    I love tea - I have a clear teapot and use loose leaf teas.

Y'know... I wonder if Sam would drink tea?
    As has been mentioned by Gater62, she drinks it in Urgo and also, I think, it's mentioned in SGA that she drinks some of Teyla's herbal tea (unless that's fanon? )

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
    Really? *looks at own join date and total posts* Right. I did notice there are a couple of "shippy" S/J avatars now and I've been considering changing mine. But I like Maybourne too so I don't know. Maybe if I ever do get to that seemingly out-of-reach-for-me 2,000 requirement I'll do something. Well, not me since I don't know a thing about creating graphics.
    I am sure any of the lovely folks on the art thread will be happy to make you an avatar.

I already have mine in waiting. Jumble made it for my birthday. I bet you can't guess what it is?

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
    Ah hah! So the trick is to venture outside of the Sam/Jack Ship thread.

*quivers*

But...

Urgh, no thanks. Not counting the Woohoos and art threads, I have ventured outside ShipHaven three times; once to play a game (ship couples), once to discuss SGU and once for 3rd movie speculation. The latter two occasions left me with a bad taste in my mouth; either because of ship hating (and abuse) or because of people not spoilering spoilery stuff. Fair dues to the mods; on both occasions they sorted things out but... nah. I like it here. It's warm and fuzzy and mostly safe and friendly. So, yeah, you get a bit wet with the gutter water sometimes, and the fluff can be so sweet it makes your teeth rot, and the angst sometimes leads to requests for therapy but... it's a small price to pay for friends like these.

Pol and Shannon, well whatdya know. I too kept "Imzadi" when I cleared out my old ST-TNG novels. Awesome book. The sequel I liked less but still kept that one too. If only Peter David would write Stargate novelisations. *shippy sigh*

Assuming it's taken me so long to post this you've done it...

Congratulations on your 6000 posts Jenn!

Last edited by Cagranosalis; 03 January 2010, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      And...

Because it's been forever since I've posted it here, and it's never been posted on This Thread, I give you...

My Evidence that Sam and Jack are Together
      Spoiler:
      I've posted this a bunch on the Sam/Jack Gateworld forum, and rather than continually reposting it for newbies, I figured I'd post it here and stick it in my memories. It's the post-Threads evidence that Sam and Jack are together:

The reason I KNOW Jack and Sam are together, anything TPTB might do to indicate otherwise being so OOC as to be IMPOSSIBLE for me to believe, is:

1) After the events of Threads/end-of-Moebius, Jack would be a complete lying jerk if he actually left Sam after promising he'd 'always' be there for her in response to her coming to him (and 8 years of watching them interact and their looks during the scene tell me he understood exactly why she was on his back deck). Jack is not a jerk and a liar, therefore they are together. (see, logic?)

Some examples of the immediate change in their attitudes towards each other in Threads:

a) Actually sitting so close they're legs have to be touching close in the briefing room after not even sitting in chairs next to each other for the first part of the season:

b) Also, how close they were sitting while fishing:

c) He acts like a total Alpha Male around her at the beginning and end of Moebius, taking every opportunity to touch her:

and give her personal orders that he knows she'll follow:

Okay. That, really, should be enough. BUUUTT.... Other less important reasons:

2) Sam has been WAY too happy and confident and completely free of angst after 8 years of angst for any explanation other than the angst is gone because she and Jack are together. You just don't dissolve your feelings and your need for happiness because you 'decided' to be happy. That's what she learned in Threads.

3) Jack would never ever ever have taken a deskjob in DC (one of his least favorite places in the universe) where he would have to wear his dress uniform all the time (his least favorite clothes) and spend all his time doing paperwork and meeting with politicians and diplomats (his least favorite activites). Unless Sam needed him to. So they could be together. No other explanation I can conceive of is not OOC... And he seemed so content and smug talking about it when he appeared on SGA's The Return II... and has appeared a lot less miserable about his current situation than he did when commanding the SGC, and his D.C. job has to be much worse than that ever was.

4) When Sam returns to the SGC in Beachhead, for some reason which makes no MILITARY sense, Landry is having to talk Jack into 'letting' Sam come back. There's something clearly beyond military decisions there, probably because Sam left in the first place on her choice and it's her decision to come back (remember, both Cam and Jack had 'any position you want' offers, you gotta assume Sam would as well). Sam gives a 'Jack' smile when reporting to Landry, a perfect example of her new-found happiness post S8:

Compare this to pre-with-Jack angst:

5) When Sam explained to Barrett whey she took a desk job, which also seems OOC, she gave some goofy explanation about Cassie. When he asked if she were single, she was WAY too smug and self satisfied for any explanation about being in an emotional 'holding pattern' of deciding she couldn't be with anyone but Jack but not actually being with him. People who are still pining ain't this happy:

6) In 4th Horsemen When Orlin told Sam they could wait to resume their 'relationship' until he was older, she looked hugely uncomfortable. And not in a negative way, she again gave that slightly smug, happy, and secretive smile like there was another reason she couldn't be with Orlin besides his age...

7) When Martouf came from an AU, Sam almost kissed him, but pulled back at the last moment clearly relieved. If she didn't have a prior emotional commitment, why not kiss him and satisfy her curiosity? She kept Martouf at a careful distance after that...

8) In The Return II on SGA, Jack tells Weir he's going home at the end to "a shower, hot toddy, and...." then he trails off smugly and suggestively. Many of us saw that as implying female type companionship, which would be the first time Jack has ever openly admitted to that without embarassment, because he's actually proud of his relationship with Sam. And he obviously has someone waiting for him at home, since he assumes all this coziness

9) Sam says d’oh in Line in the Sand when Cam brings her decaf. After 8 years of day-in-and-day out contact at work, she never picked up on that phrase, and still looked at him a bit oddly whenever he used it. Now she is using it casually and as if it is no big deal after two years of no real contact with him at work. Obviously they’ve been together a lot of screen and in a a very personal way if she’s finally picked up on one of his favorite phrases and integrated it so fully into her personality that she doesn’t even make a big deal out of saying it. Simlar to Dr. Carter saying ‘For Crying Out Loud’ in PoV.

10)Sam’s PERSONAL directory’s password is revealed as ‘Fishing’ in LiS. If she and Jack weren’t together, fishing should have a negative connotation, not be so closely associated with her PRIVATE life J.

11) In The Shroud, Sam and Jack are alone in her lab. They are comfortable and intimate with each other. They converse as equals, and without any of the UST or angst which has been a part of nearly all their interactions previously:

compared to, say:

which is what we would have seen in previous seasons.

12) Sam has a picture of herself fishing with Jack in her office when she's in command of Atlantis in Atlantis S4:

Which indicates 'fishing with Jack' is a way she wants to remember herself. She also has a picture of Jack alone in her private quarters:

Indicating a more personal relationship with him.

13) Though it was eventually deleted from the episode, a scene in SGA's S4 episode Trio clearly indicates Sam and Jack are in an ongoing relationship.

The very fact TPTB felt they COULD include this information indicates they've at least been writing to leave it open as a possibility for Sam and Jack to have been in a relationship all this time. And, really, Martin Gero here never denies the fact that Sam and Jack are in a relationship, just that this bit didn't really fit in this episode. And, in the commentary, Amanda Tapping states about Sam that she's saying here, "Jack's her fella."

14) Similarly, in the commentary for the SGA S4 Episode Quarantine, in discussing Sam, Martin Wood and Amanda Tapping have this exchange.

15) In Continuum, Sam and Jack are, as they've been since the end of S8, extremely comfortable around each other. They're filmed almost as standing apart from the rest of the group and seem almost to be having a private conversation during the ceremony. Additionally, in the montage which is meant to show how SG-1 is missing their old life, and Cam goes to his childhood home and Daniel goes to look at his book, Sam buys mislabeled Froot Loops with rather a sadly resigned attitude. The only significance to Froot Loops within the Stargate universe is as a callback to Window Of Opportunity in which Jack is eating them, which suggest it is, in fact, Jack which Sam is missing more than anything else from her old life. Additionally, in Continuum, in the final scene, Sam and Jack act very 'coupley' as Jack asks SG-1 (and seemingly not Sam) to lunch and, after a look from her, offers to pay.

16) At the end of Stargate Universe's Air Pt 1, when Sam and Jack have a video conversation over communications, they are extremely non-formal with each other. Most significantly, she doesn't refer to him as 'Sir'. Not once. And back before S8 she could hardly go two sentences without it.

17) Brad Wright in a fall of '08 interview stated that, to paraphrase, "If you want to imagine Sam and Jack have been in a relationship, then go ahead and imagine it, " which also indicates this is a valid interpretation of the art they've been producing. Similarly, at AT4 in fall of '09 Amanda Tapping stated she believes Jack and Sam are together romantically and have been since Sam stopped being in his direct chain-of-command, back even before she went to Atlantis (which would have been when he transferred to Washington after S8, but AT didn't state that explicitly) Joe Mallozzi has also stated he believes Sam and Jack got together after Threads. Which means interpreting her performance or his writing to infer Sam and Jack are together isn't a stretch, but is almost certainly the artist's intent as well.

18) Overall, there are many examples of Jackisms from Sam since S8 which indicate they've been spending time together: From Company of Thieves: twirling the wrench, from McKay and Mrs. Miller: snapping her thumbs, from Quest I: 'get a room'. Just too name a few than jump out at me right now.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The reason I and many others assume they're married is varied. Personally, I do so because, assuming they got talked into both staying in the military for duty/honor reasons, the best way to do so and still be close to each other in chain-of-command and not be breaking regs is by being married. Oddly, probably because marriage is a legally and socially binding contract considered more important than ones career, marriage between people who would otherwise be considered 'fraternizing' is allowed by the regs. Given Sam's fear of being left by those she loves and Jack's need to be there for her absolutely which I believe he admitted in Threads gives their marriage as the most likely solution to their problem. Also, people going into combat typically don't wait to marry for long because of the whole worry about imminent death thing.

My friend Megyn made a video based on this evidence.
      This post and 5999 similar posts filled with babble and/or silliness have been brought to you by me.

For which I quite possibly owe many of you an apology
      Sadly all circumstantial evidence. I need a BHK and a ring on Sam's finger!
      Congrats on 6000!
      Rachel updated her Aftershocks fic
      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4550820/40/Aftershocks_III

Comment

CONGRATS JENN on 6,000 POSTS!

"Y'know, I can be as diplomatic and open-minded as anyone."
        Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
          Well... obviously too late for tonight but how about tomorrow. Anyone up for a RT viewing of Nemesis / Small Victories tomorrow? The usual time?
          Yep, count me in
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
            Yep, count me in
            Great. Off to transcribe shippy bits from the commentary of SV. Oh the hardship!
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, Jenn. 6,000.

Freakin' awesome.

For that you get a manip by Mala. <grin>
              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

CONGRATS JENN ON 6,000 POSTS!!!
                You earned it

I have a question for all the vid makers here.
                How do you get epis and vids from your dvds to your laptop???
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
                  You earned it

Eve explains that in this post

If you have any problems, go over to The Artwork thread and ask

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
                    You earned it

I have a program that lets me rip the DVD onto my harddrive but unfortunately you can't get DVD decrypter anymore
                    sigpic

Comment

Congrats, Jenn, on 6000!

And I'll take your evidence any day. It's good enough for me.

Pol...question...that picture of AT/RDA that you said was a manip from Mala...am I right that the only manip part is that she took out the background? Because that was a real bts shot from Continuum, and I usually associate "manips" with putting people in situations where they weren't. Which, in this case, they actually were. So...unless I'm missing something there...?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                        Congrats, Jenn, on 6000!

Pol...question...that picture of AT/RDA that you said was a manip from Mala...am I right that the only manip part is that she took out the background? Because that was a real bts shot from Continuum, and I usually associate "manips" with putting people in situations where they weren't. Which, in this case, they actually were. So...unless I'm missing something there...?
                        You are right. And the foreground. Martin Wood was obscuring RDA's hand in the original. Why anyone would want to manip MW out of an image is beyond me.

It's mighty clever what Mala can do. I remember her having a pic from Between Two Fires (I think) where Sam and Jack were in uniform and she'd manipped the uniform and even Sam's hair length to update their ranks (general and colonel). That's the kind of manips I like.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                          You are right. And the foreground. Martin Wood was obscruing RDA's hand in the original.

It's mighty clever what Mala can do.
                          Ahhh. Thanks. Hence the manip. Now I know why I cropped it the way I did for my sig....

*looks below* Umm...well...the *other* sig.....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                            The beautiful and unique thing about Sam and Jack's relationship, IMHO, has been that it has been so natural and subtle. With a very few very short exceptions, it's all been done through gestures and looks. Even the significance of some of the most 'shippy' dialogue has been shippy primarily because of the way it was said and the looks exchanged during the saying, not because of the dialogue itself.

To suddenly have the thing be totally and utterly blatant and in your face would, IMHO again, be a complete contradiction of everything Sam and Jack are. Really. It's just never BEEN that sort of relationship. Would I love a BHK and a ring? Honestly - yes. But do I feel one is needed or that, after all that's happened, we deserve one? No, not really. I think the 'resolution' we've been given is exactly in keeping with the overall subtlety of the majority of the relationship. If I wanted something overt and obvious and in-your face I wouldn't be so fascinated by this relationship and these characters in the first place.

I know, 99% of shippers disagree with me. But that's just the way I feel about it :0

Told you I needed to apologize for my posts

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              The beautiful and unique thing about Sam and Jack's relationship, IMHO, has been that it has been so natural and subtle. With a very few very short exceptions, it's all been done through gestures and looks. Even the significance of some of the most 'shippy' dialogue has been shippy primarily because of the way it was said and the looks exchanged during the saying, not because of the dialogue itself.

To suddenly have the thing be totally and utterly blatant and in your face would, IMHO again, be a complete contradiction of everything Sam and Jack are. Really. It's just never BEEN that sort of relationship. Would I love a BHK and a ring? Honestly - yes. But do I feel one is needed or that, after all that's happened, we deserve one? No, not really. I think the 'resolution' we've been given is exactly in keeping with the overall subtlety of the majority of the relationship. If I wanted something overt and obvious and in-your face I wouldn't be so fascinated by this relationship and these characters in the first place.

I know, 99% of shippers disagree with me. But that's just the way I feel about it :0

Told you I needed to apologize for my posts
                              *stands with the 1%*

Exactly. And if I could add anything to how eloquently you stated that, I would. But I can't. IMHO it's why the fascination with this ship endures, at least for me: because of its subtley, its depth and the delicate touch with which it's been written and portrayed. It's why, despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get away from it....and tbh...as much as I too would like to see a kiss (not even necessarily a bh one...) and a ring...I have this sense that when (not if ) I do...there will be a certain sadness associated with it. Because, after all, sometimes when we finally get what we want, its only then that we realize it's the journey, and not the destination that's mattered all along.
                              sigpic

Comment

So...I've been playing in Photoshop (and not writing, I know...bad me).

Anyway, the discussion of custom avatars got me to playing again with what I want for mine when I get to make one. So I made this:

From this:

I know a lot of people, AT included, did not like the DK hug. I love this shot. It always looks to me like Jack was in mid-sentence and is stunned to find her relaxed against him. She's got her eyes closed and is taking comfort from him. Jack looks...perplexed...stunned...and at a loss. As should we all. Samantha "or do we have to arm wrestle" Carter, has surrendered, for just a moment, to exhaustion.

And with whom does she do that?

Only Jack. Always Jack.

A beautiful moment. Just beautiful. It speaks so well of her character and how much she's grown, as a soldier (it's okay to be tired and lean on your team) and as a woman (it's okay to need...Jack).

Lovely.
                                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Working...
                                X