No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rachel500, i feel exactly the same. I see actors as actors and i really can't force my brain to think there's otherwise. I also believe that promo photos shows our favorite characters rather than actors playing them. That's the idea of promo photos, i think but of course have nothing against anyone who has different opinion.btw, i think the artworks are beautiful
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      can they *show* that with a PG rating?

~hopes~
      Depends...do people fish nekkid?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        what does 'otoh' mean?

in regards to your last paragraph: that's why i believe rick and amanda wouldn't be bothered much by it, b/c they know shippers take some of these pics and 'pretend' it's sam and jack. but if someone tried to ship amanda and rick together, or manipped it to reflect something more, then we're in crossing the line territory.

i guess it depends on the individual. i'd hate to see us stop posting these things, though...
        Yes!
        I realise there are people out there that do this, but the idea of shipping real life people/actors is just a little bit disturbing to me. Maybe if AT wasn't a happily married woman and they'd actually dated in RL or something I might be kind of wistfully thinking it would be nice and be happy for them... but when there's no real life romance there then shipping actors is just squicky IMO.

Like Rachel, I can appreciate the use of promo pictures of them used in artwork for art's sake but, again, AT&RDA is not Sam&Jack for me. With the possible exception of a couple of in-character promo/BtS shots (like the kiss/cuddle pictures from Holiday when they are in full Sam/Jack mode. )

As for in character promo shots from events that never really happened - i.e the wedding from 200 - well as much as I love them, again they're not really real, because it didn't happen so...umm, mixed feelingss about those two. Very nice and all that but not real from a canon perspective. They make me smile rather than squee.

Originally posted by yessika View Post
        I could have an issue with the AT and RDA pics except they all make me think of this one...
        http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...aandamanda.jpg
        You see that makes me happy and makes me smile and think "Isn't it wonderful to see two actors who are such good friends, and how fantastic is it that we got to see that friendship translate to great on screen chemistry for so long." but it doesn't make me squee and think "Oh look, Sam and Jack! Kissing!"

With regards to manips, again I can appreciate them for the artistry that has gone into them but, actually, quite a lot of them I think "Nice, clever but does nothing for me." And some of the more guttery ones where they've superimposed head onto semi naked bodies in an embrace are a bit squicky to be honest.
        I do think manips are a brilliant device for fanfic book covers though, and I've seen some used for this to really great effect.

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Oh, totally. No fear of that, I suspect

See.

I think what we really need is an actual BHK....

I'm just sayin'.

EDIT: Laugh-out-loud Jumble. We were just discussing my abbreviations. Apparently my new years resolution should be no more abbreviations. Ever...
        I think I've sussed out most of the normal abbreviations now. The one I still can't figure out, depsite knowing the origin and meaning is FTW. More like WTF!

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        *mumbles something about not caring if the pics are from RDA/AT or really S/J coz every picture of them together makes her happy!*

Buuuuuuut new version of wallpaper for people that *really* want to see silhouette only with S/J pictures and none RDA/AT or promo.

I hope it's okay

OK? OK? You're kidding right? That's freaking AWESOME!
        Oh how I wish I had green but I spent it yesterday saying how much I loved that one. This one though.... oh so beautiful! Love the text. Love it. Did I mention that I love it? *sigh* I do so.

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
        Oh, my! I just had to share this. I was reading one of Karibu's fics (takes place between S8 and S9 and Sam was complaining that she hadn't even reeled in a fish while up at Jack's cabin. I bust out laughing and was very glad I wasn't imbibing any coffee at the time.
        I find it extremely hard to believe Sam hasn't reeled in a fish whilst at the cabin somewhere between S8 and S9. In fact *points to Jenn's post and pic* that pretty much confirms she has. Well he has at least and I'd like to think Jack's a gentleman enough to make sure there's reeling in going on all around when those two go fishing.

Welcome Kusanagi!

sigpic

Comment

Thank You Cagranosalis!!! Good to be here
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

With regards to manips, again I can appreciate them for the artistry that has gone into them but, actually, quite a lot of them I think "Nice, clever but does nothing for me." And some of the more guttery ones where they've superimposed head onto semi naked bodies in an embrace are a bit squicky to be honest.
            I do think manips are a brilliant device for fanfic book covers though, and I've seen some used for this to really great effect.
            I personally dislike manips (of the GW meaning), particularly that type ^^

I think I've sussed out most of the normal abbreviations now. The one I still can't figure out, depsite knowing the origin and meaning is FTW. More like WTF!
            For The Win

Comment

Maniping someone's head onto another persons body is also against the GW rules. For pretty much the reason you just stated. Full body manips are okay, though, if in 'good taste'.

From GW's rules:
              Photo manipulations. All manipulations must be appropriate for all ages. This means no compromising positions, no nudity, and all manipulations must be in good taste (at the sole discretion of the moderators). This excludes manips that create two actors kissing, or the like. If they haven't kissed in real life, we don't want pictures of them kissing here. Putting a person's head on another person's body is also inappropriate
              For The Win... In context... Yeah! Martin Wood's directing!! FTW!
              I find it extremely hard to believe Sam hasn't reeled in a fish whilst at the cabin somewhere between S8 and S9. In fact *points to Jenn's post and pic* that pretty much confirms she has. Well he has at least and I'd like to think Jack's a gentleman enough to make sure there's reeling in going on all around when those two go fishing.
              ROFLMAO. *Exactly* And then there's this:

Which looks like good fishing, and this:
              Cause as long as you can catch the one right fish, none of the rest matter.

Comment

OK? OK? You're kidding right? That's freaking AWESOME!
                Oh how I wish I had green but I spent it yesterday saying how much I loved that one. This one though.... oh so beautiful! Love the text. Love it. Did I mention that I love it? *sigh* I do so.
                Glad you like it!
                I tried to keep it as much as possible "our" S/J, but I just couldn't help it and slip the PoV wedding pic in it, but I like the angst that it symbolizes(cuz our S/J aren't together and they were, but Jack died there). Also had to delete some pics because I didn't want any pictures post-D&C...for the sake of the "thought behind the wp"

Photos of S/J or RDA/AT in artwork/used.

Yesterday I said I didn't mind for the sake of artwork. I like it there and it's only fanmade thus it doesn't really matter. On the other hand it does matter in what context you use it. Do you make a RDA/AT based wp or a S/J based one, or do you just don't care and use some pictures you like.
                For example in the first wp I made yesterday, I didn't care and was more experiencing with the style of the wp and went in my "promo" folder and just grabbed some pictures. Dropped some text on it and voila; not even thinking about the fact that I had used RDA/AT pics and S/J pics through each other. In that case it isn't a problem because you work on another way. To see it as a viewer/appreciator, I do understand it because you see in a way four different people. RDA/AT and S/J.

Manips: There is something I just don't like about them or they must be used in the right context. For example when someone writes a fanfic and uses a manip in it or as a promo of it, it works for me and it looks good. Is it just for the purpose to see S/J kissing or whatever; no.
                I do admire the way some people can make manips; I don't think I could make them look so realistic. Thus from an artwork perspective I appreciate them once again...

Randomly:
                I like everything.

As conclusion I think it's just what you prefer or not and in what context the pictures are used. It is more important to remember that if you want to see S/J kissing that that kissing picture from the convention is just RDA/AT goofing and not something that has to do with the show. On the other hand when RDA and AT pose as S/J and are doing things while "being" S/J I think they are S/J. As last the artwork perspective is really different because you look at the techniques used and not at the pictures. I mean a DVD cover can look really good, but it doesn't make the movie better in the end.
                So...it's just all about the context.

Sorry for the ramble.
                sigpic

Comment

Popping in to wish you all a very Happy New Year 2010!!! xx
                  sigpic
                  Made by me.

Comment

It's an oldie of mine, but it's actually a New Year's Story, so if anyone's in the mood:

Celebrating

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                      I personally dislike manips (of the GW meaning), particularly that type ^^

For The Win
                      Yes I saw that on the MWHS thread. How freaky that I should mention it here right before reading there.

I get it I just don't... "get" it, IYKWIM. I'm proabbly just getting grumpy and old(er) though.

I tried to keep it as much as possible "our" S/J, but I just couldn't help it and slip the PoV wedding pic in it, but I like the angst that it symbolizes(cuz our S/J aren't together and they were, but Jack died there). Also had to delete some pics because I didn't want any pictures post-D&C...for the sake of the "thought behind the wp"

Ah the whole AU thing is another debate. More an issue for video making when you're telling a story but how much do you include AU? Of course if you like, as I do, to make videos which include lots of kissing, you kind of have to go with AU/not real stuff because there's precious little tongue action without.
                      I would say though, the POV picture is not AU since the picture actually existed in this universe courtesy of an AU Sam bringing it here. Does that make sense? It's entirely possible she might have "accidently" left it behind knowing she was returning hom to a whole album full of those pics, and wanting to drop a not-so-subtle hint to our Sam and Jack to sort it out...

... Fly, plot bunny, fly....

*ahem* Where was I? AU yeah. Ok so the AU stuff makes me squee because it all goes to prove these two are destined for each other and it counts but only up to a point in that it's not actually canon in our universe. It's OK to have, say, Sam ruminating on her imagined kiss with Jack in Grace or to have Jack replaying the WOO kisss'n'dip in his head but, unless they have told eahc other about those moments, it's not real for the other person.

Which brings up a couple of interesting questions; Assuming Jack and Sam are together and have been for some time, do you think Jack ever told Sam about the lopping kiss(es) ( because I'm convined he went back for seconds and probably thirds? ) And do you think Sam ever told Jack about her halluncinations on board the Prometheus?
                      How do you think the other would have reacted to being told those things?
                      sigpic

Comment

Which brings up a couple of interesting questions; Assuming Jack and Sam are together and have been for some time, do you think Jack ever told Sam about the lopping kiss(es) ( because I'm convined he went back for seconds and probably thirds? ) And do you think Sam ever told Jack about her halluncinations on board the Prometheus?
                        I think Jack probably told Sam about the loop, but it was enough after they were actually together that it was humorous with a touch of sad rather than anything 'bad'. Or, in other words, she probably first laughed and then kissed him again to prove they can.

As for the hallucinations... She might bring up the entire story of her hallucinations if they ever sit down and have a Long Talk on the whole why Pete fiasco. I suspect, though, they never really did as I think it would be fairly well understood by both - and in fact I think was even by the end of Threads - that Pete was a failed attempt to move on. The exact specifics of her hallucination which led her to realize she needed to find happiness and that she deserved to be with someone she loved, to include the kiss, are really unimportant details compared to that greater truth. Furthermore, I have a feeling that wasn't the first (nor the last) time she imagined kissing Jack and so even to her that *specific* kiss is likely far less significant than it is to us . Also I suspect, in light of reality, all her imagined kisses during the Days of Longing aren't worth thinking about at all anymore...

Comment

[QUOTE]Which brings up a couple of interesting questions; Assuming Jack and Sam are together and have been for some time, do you think Jack ever told Sam about the lopping kiss(es) ( because I'm convined he went back for seconds and probably thirds? ) And do you think Sam ever told Jack about her halluncinations on board the Prometheus? /QUOTE]
                          Personally i do think they talked about it at some point. If we presume (and i believe that's what happen) they've been together since Threads, till now they probably are very comfortable with each other and talk pretty much about everything. I can imagine it could be an issue at the beginning when certain things can embarrass people in new relationship but i think Sam&Jack got over in Fishing do get people closer, you know
                          sigpic

Comment

And I think you're absolutely right, Cags...about going back for seconds and thirds. Even Joe M said that it was safe to assume that what we saw was "just the tip of the iceberg..."

sigpic

Comment

Good New Year's Eve Morning, Campers!

Here's hoping that 2010 will be happiness and prosperity to all, and will find none of us battling evil patient aliens with little sense of humour who want to take away our ability to reproduce.

Originally posted by zuz View Post
                              That's it. The last part of the calendar. Enjoy.

Sam and Jack 2010 Calendar (A4 format, printable)

part 3

part 1
                              part 2
                              Gorgeous calendar, zuz! I love it to death! *hugs*

Originally posted by ddc View Post
                              Shouldn't we have wished Sam a Happy 41st Birthday yesterday (based on the ID that shows her birth date as December 29, 1968)? As someone who shares that day (but closer to Jack's age than Sam's) I know how easy it is for a birthday between Christmas & New Year's to get overlooked.
                              I tend to think that Sam's birthday is in May, since Orlin said that emerald was her birthstone. That means that the writers consciously thought about where Sam's birthday would be, while the props people are a bit notorious for not putting too much thought into the props they put on set (Think about it: they put a promo pic of Daniel in his "200" wedding suit, a non-canon event, in Sam's Atlantis office. ).

IMHO, verbal canon always outways prop canon.

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                              I admit I have an identification programme in my head which sorts the photos into RDA and AT, RDA and AT promoting Stargate as Sam/Jack, and Sam/Jack.

I have to admit that as someone appreciating someone else's artwork I don't really have an issue with any pics of AT and RDA being used. While I recognise them as 'RDA and AT', I can still appreciate the art and the effort that went into it.

As someone who has started playing with gimp recently, I have to say that I find it incredibly hard to use pics of AT and RDA in a siggy or icon about Sam/Jack myself. I've tried making some from the behind the scenes pics even and I just can't get past the identification programme in my head that goes - no, this is AT and RDA.

The only pics I seem to be comfortable using are the promo shots where my identification sees both RDA and AT and Sam/Jack in the pics (because although it's the actors, they are being photographed specifically for the purposes of promoting Stargate and therefore, to some degree, are playing their characters - and in many promos are even in the uniforms of their characters; they're not just being photographed because they're AT and RDA).

But that could be just because my favourite pic of the two of them is the promo shot of them holding hands with her head on his shoulder.
                              I agree with everything that you said. My brain tells me which is Sam/Jack, and which is Rick/Amanda. I really love both, as I'm an insane fan of both actors. They seem to have a great friendship and know exactly what we shippers want to see (he called her up at the AT4 convention this year, didn't he? Coincidence? I think not! ). But Rick/Amanda pics are not Sam/Jack pics and must be treated as such. Any kissing done on their parts is reflective of their friendship, or is a treat for the shippers.

That sounded like some sort of disclaimer.

I'm convinced that Jack did tell Sam about the little looping fiasco because I believe that there was something more beneath that little bit in Continuum where Sam puts the frooties in her cart. Just like we immediately associate frootloops with "Window of Opportunity", I think that Sam and Jack do as well.
                              sigpic
                              The Return of King Arthur
                              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                                *mumbles something about not caring if the pics are from RDA/AT or really S/J coz every picture of them together makes her happy!*

Buuuuuuut new version of wallpaper for people that *really* want to see silhouette only with S/J pictures and none RDA/AT or promo.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/wyattrulezz/Other%20stuff/th_DC311209.jpg[/URL][/center]

I hope it's okay

Oh, that's just beautiful!

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post

Gorgeous calendar, zuz! I love it to death! *hugs*
                                Ditto for me. It's beautiful!

I tend to think that Sam's birthday is in May, since Orlin said that emerald was her birthstone. That means that the writers consciously thought about where Sam's birthday would be, while the props people are a bit notorious for not putting too much thought into the props they put on set (Think about it: they put a promo pic of Daniel in his "200" wedding suit, a non-canon event, in Sam's Atlantis office. ).

IMHO, verbal canon always outways prop canon.
                                Ditto for me here as well.
                                Last edited by leiasky; 31 December 2009, 07:13 AM.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X