Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    uh, looks like janet's grabbing jack's 12...

Comment

Hey shippers! I made it home - thank you Amanda for the pic spam. Read some fanfic on my iPod courtesy of Pol's file, watched Star Trek on my iPod toooooo...

Thought a lot about my fanfic writing!!! And uh... I got nothing

Cags! You should do Sam's looks

Comment

Oh good God, I'm 83 pages behind . . . I'll catch up - eventually. . . I've left this thread for last of all the threads I've subscribed to because I figured it will take me the longest to get through.

I hope I come across all kinds of S/J goodness after my two weeks of hell in frigid New Hampshire.

I'm sad that the S/J Thread page count is so small now, though. . . I was so proud to see us hit 10,000 pages! And now it's - gone
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          Oh good God, I'm 83 pages behind . . . I'll catch up - eventually. . . I've left this thread for last of all the threads I've subscribed to because I figured it will take me the longest to get through.

I hope I come across all kinds of S/J goodness after my two weeks of hell in frigid New Hampshire.

I'm sad that the S/J Thread page count is so small now, though. . . I was so proud to see us hit 10,000 pages! And now it's - gone
          You're braver than me, I just jump in if I'm too far behind (and I thank people who quote so I can follow back to relevant posts)... although I think my 100 Looks of Jack starts around page 70-ish.

Comment

Hello Shipper Family!

Although I missed almost all the shippy events this year (BTW thanks for the invitations, Melissa *hugs*) I'm still out there shipping. At least I've found time for another favourite shippy tradition of mine - I made a new Sam and Jack Calendar. So here it is for all of you to enjoy.

Sam and Jack 2010 Calendar (A4 format, click and print )

part 1

preview
            Spoiler:

Parts 2 & 3 soon to come
            "Y'know, I can be as diplomatic and open-minded as anyone."
            Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

I'm interested in knowing what exactly went wrong with first 10,006 pages-full first thread. What happened?
              I'd like to know, too. I haven't seen any more posts about it, though there may be some by the time I catch up . . . Was it ever figured out?

Originally posted by Pol View Post
              LOL.

Okay, I took a break from writing to play a bit. No gingergate this year, but instead...a gingervillage. Enjoy. It's on my blog.

Ohh, the Hammond in Gingerbread! Nicely done! Very creative

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...8&goto=newpost

Go vote!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
              Fic rec!

From the Watertower by rowan-d
              Ohh, this was nice and angsty. Thanks for rec'ing it!

Now I want some fluff! LOL!

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
              On a slightly related note, the reason I love S/J established is because, given I won't contradict canon, it's the only place you can go from Angst to fluff or gutter. Or, as you said, from the tension of desire to satisfaction
              Well said, As were your thoughts on why you don't particularly like AU's. Most fics labeled AU have the characters acting so unlike themselves that I just stop reading. Granted, there is no 'correct' interpretation of 'out of character' behavior as everyone has their own opinions about it, but for me, generally, AU's just don't sound like the characters I know and love.

That said, I do read AU’s provided the characterization is good.

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              La la la la... coming with a fic rec but it's a guttery adult one - funny and not sappy (none of that "I love you" he said breathily type stuff *gag*) - so linky to the list of fics instead of the fic itself...

It's called "With a Capital C" - http://www.sg1-heliopolis.com/adult/...r.php?uid=2696
              The link is broken

Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
              I thought for a moment I'd lost the Family!

*hits the subscribe button*

*looks around* The walls are a little sparse right now though....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Oma-1/Wallpapers/th_povwedding.jpg[/URL]

*apologies for fluffyness, I promise I'll be back in the grunge/angst groove shortly....*

*wanders off to catch up a little*
              Oh this was yummy. You should post in the thread more often!

How many hours has it been and I’m only 20 pages into the thread . . .

Zuz, love the calendar!
              sigpic

Comment

ZUZ!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back!

LOVE the calendar! Yay! Awesome work hon!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  Well said, As were your thoughts on why you don't particularly like AU's. Most fics labeled AU have the characters acting so unlike themselves that I just stop reading. Granted, there is no 'correct' interpretation of 'out of character' behavior as everyone has their own opinions about it, but for me, generally, AU's just don't sound like the characters I know and love.

That said, I do read AU’s provided the characterization is good.
                  I think most people start an AU with "this is what I want to happen" and they stop to work through the factors that would get the character in that situation. I've dropped plot bunnies because as I start to work the puzzle I realize that the character wouldn't do x or y. This is another reason I work with an outline so I can see step by step what's happening in my story.

I enjoy AUs myself - but like you, I want good characterization.

The link is broken
                  heliopolis is down - I just tried to go to the main page. So... try again later

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
                    I think most people start an AU with "this is what I want to happen" and they stop to work through the factors that would get the character in that situation. I've dropped plot bunnies because as I start to work the puzzle I realize that the character wouldn't do x or y. This is another reason I work with an outline so I can see step by step what's happening in my story.

I enjoy AUs myself - but like you, I want good characterization.
                    The problem is, 9/10 times there's a very good character based reason for the character's not to have done what they do in the AU story... or in order for the characters to have been in the situation they'd be radically different people in the first place (Annerb's latest taking place during the original movie for example) Granted, there's nothing wrong with this... It's just I have a very clear view of who I see Sam and Jack (and the other characters) as being and if I'm not going to read about *them*... well.. you should see my 'To Read' list of published works.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                      The problem is, 9/10 times there's a very good character based reason for the character's not to have done what they do in the AU story... or in order for the characters to have been in the situation they'd be radically different people in the first place (Annerb's latest taking place during the original movie for example) Granted, there's nothing wrong with this... It's just I have a very clear view of who I see Sam and Jack (and the other characters) as being and if I'm not going to read about *them*... well.. you should see my 'To Read' list of published works.
                      I think you're right depending on the AU. For example, people saying what if Sam and Jack decided not to leave it in the room -I would agree that to some extent the requires an OOC decision. On the other hand Jack and Sam get stranded on a planet together. Now we've taken *our* Sam and Jack and placed them in a situation that we never had the chance to see. That doesn't require OOC, that requires an understanding of the characters in order to extrapolate what their behavior would be.

That being said, I don't mind the "what if" they made another decision partly because it plays in the world that Stargate has set up - there are multiple AUs and so those fanfics in my head are us taking a look and seeing how things might have turned out differently. And I enjoy those myself (again, good characterization is required.) - the reason I don't consider it OOC is because for example, we have Dr. Carter, meaning somewhere Sam made a choice...

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by zuz View Post
                        Hello Shipper Family!

Although I missed almost all the shippy events this year (BTW thanks for the invitations, Melissa *hugs*) I'm still out there shipping. At least I've found time for another favourite shippy tradition of mine - I made a new Sam and Jack Calendar. So here it is for all of you to enjoy.

Sam and Jack 2010 Calendar (A4 format, click and print )

part 1

preview

<snip>

Parts 2 & 3 soon to come
                        Hi! I don't know you, but I have heard of you and seen many of your amazing smilies So hi again, you can call me Val
                        sigpic

Comment

Hello

i've found a couple of fics on livejournal and decided to share it, ain't a BIG fan of fics myself but they are awesome sometimes to spend time remembering of our beloved ship, if you already know those just ignore me

some of them are pretty much Gutter ( wich i like the one called "Captive" )

http://community.livejournal.com/res...51.html#cutid2
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            A little picky? I only watch one other show! That's NCIS, and basically I'd ship Gibbs with anyone if it'd make him happy.

Mmm. Yeah. That man seriously needs a woman. . .

I can't see, nor am I interested in, any ships on SGU either.

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            Oh, I am so Sam Carter geeking out right now!

LOOK!!

If ever an expression said, "Mmmm, tasty!" The look on Sam's face does. LOL
                            Ohh, makes me wish I had an I-Phone!

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            Jack. Hot. Drool.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...otholdcopy.jpg

Made somewhere along the line
                            Guh. So hot.

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                            Aww thank you

I used to love Unending...till I found this thread. I absolutely hate it. I wouldn't have had anything wrong with the S/T...if it had been another reality, but he remembered it. It's right up there with Tokr'a Part 1/2 and CL, of the episodes I will never touch again with 100 foot pole. But let me point out that it is not Canon, no matter what AT and CJ said, it isn't Canon....but I don't want to get into this again. It's been done to death, you either love it or hate it.

In 50 years she didn't give up on finding a way home...I don't believe for a second that she'd give up on one day going back to him either.

She never lost hope (if she would have, they would have died on that ship)...she'd never give up on Jack.

All my humble opinion...but it's been done to death.

And let me point out I probably wouldn't have had a problem, except that he remembered. I can't even watch AoT or any of the SGA episodes with Teal'c in it because of it. *sighs*

Up until this thread, I never saw any S/T in Unending, none whatsoever...and considering at the time my allegiances were with another ship involving Sam () I never even *though* she'd end up with that other guy in Unending either.

I never saw and Sam/Teal'c in Unending until this thread either. I still don't, really.

But, it is canon for the exact reason you like to believe it isn't Because that life DID happen and Teal'c remembers it.

The Sam/Jack kiss happened in Window of Opportunity, right? But only Jack remembers it.

It’s the same thing. Time was re-set.

Am at page 49 . . . how many more to go . . .
                            Last edited by leiasky; 27 December 2009, 03:32 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

welcome back zuz and rachel...

Comment

Fic Rec: On a Good Day

Short little bit of fluffy gutter.

Comment

Working...
                                X