X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
    Kids and the gutter OT
    Spoiler:
    My little boy will be 3 in Feb... we discovered he knew how to open doors when while he was supposed to be taking a nap and Elijah & I were thinking about fishing and suddenly our bedroom door opens and "Hey there!" he says in his cheery little voice. We live in an old building and the bedrooms don't have locks O.O

Yes - now that's what S/J kid fics need - the kids walking in on them.

OT
    Spoiler:
    I'm so sorry Curtis spent a year in Iraq as a marine and I think it deeply affected him, but that's speculation. He got married just a month ago (not even) - baby is due soon I think. It feels very surreal right now.
    Spoiler:
    My grad school mentor killed himself too. I co-authored two papers with him and he left me all of his books.

I think he and my brother were just too brilliant. It is possible to think too much. Maybe that was your friend's problem, too.

Comment

Kids and gutter:
      Spoiler:
      My little boy will be 3 in Feb... we discovered he knew how to open doors when while he was supposed to be taking a nap and Elijah & I were thinking about fishing and suddenly our bedroom door opens and "Hey there!" he says in his cheery little voice. We live in an old building and the bedrooms don't have locks O.O
      Master bedrooms need locks. And TVs or radios with volume controls. True fact. You need a new door (or door knob)

OT:
      Spoiler:

I'm so sorry Curtis spent a year in Iraq as a marine and I think it deeply affected him, but that's speculation. He got married just a month ago (not even) - baby is due soon I think. It feels very surreal right now.
      *hugs again* John (mine) still suffers PTSD regularly from the first Iraq war 20 years ago (and various other incidents). If there's any form of depression/anxiety that's treatment resistant... And, unfortunately, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Even if it doesn't lead to suicide, it's the sort of thing that effects everybody around you. I hope his new wife and baby-to-be get all the support they can. There are dozens of veterans organizations which can help with that sort of thing - people who have been there done that. I hope she can find one of those, or something similar, cause she's going to need someone she can talk to who'll understand. Secondary-post-traumatic stress-disorder (a form of anxiety/depression suffered from close family members of those suffering - or who have died from - primary) is also a very real yet only recently recognized condition and that needs to be taken seriously, too. *hugs*
      On topic: I woke up in bed with a steno this morning (which is scary, btw) and am writing a new ficlette in another window. I need to stop doing that. It's getting in the way of other things. Stoopid stenos.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Kids and gutter:
        Spoiler:
        Master bedrooms need locks. And TVs or radios with volume controls. True fact. You need a new door (or door knob)
        Spoiler:
        I think we're going to get those door knob covers that you have to squeeze in order to turn it

OT:
        Spoiler:

*hugs again* John (mine) still suffers PTSD regularly from the first Iraq war 20 years ago (and various other incidents). If there's any form of depression/anxiety that's treatment resistant... And, unfortunately, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Even if it doesn't lead to suicide, it's the sort of thing that effects everybody around you. I hope his new wife and baby-to-be get all the support they can. There are dozens of veterans organizations which can help with that sort of thing - people who have been there done that. I hope she can find one of those, or something similar, cause she's going to need someone she can talk to who'll understand. Secondary-post-traumatic stress-disorder (a form of anxiety/depression suffered from close family members of those suffering - or who have died from - primary) is also a very real yet only recently recognized condition and that needs to be taken seriously, too. *hugs*
        On topic: I woke up in bed with a steno this morning (which is scary, btw) and am writing a new ficlette in another window. I need to stop doing that. It's getting in the way of other things. Stoopid stenos.
        OT
        Spoiler:
        Yeah and I remember mentioning to my friend that Curt might need some serious help when he got back from Iraq... when I spoke with her about the wedding a few weeks ago she had thought it wasn't a good idea... now I'm wondering if he wasn't thinking like this all along and wanted to make sure his baby was taken care of.

To be on topic: I'm reading a story that I kinda want to stop reading, not because it's not well written but because it's another Pete beating Sam story and I just don't ever seem to buy it. I have a hard time seeing Sam in the later seasons putting up with that crap. I was trying to decide if Captain Sam would. I mean, there's not really a "type" of woman that endures abuse - it sort of sneaks up on you I think. I'm procrastinating my Professional Boundaries story... looking for another plot penguin (hey you have stenos, others have bunnies, I do the penguin thing)

Comment

Fic rec!

From the Watertower by rowan-d

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post

Yes - now that's what S/J kid fics need - the kids walking in on them.
            Basic Instincts

Really ... it's funny and cute.

To be on topic: I'm reading a story that I kinda want to stop reading, not because it's not well written but because it's another Pete beating Sam story and I just don't ever seem to buy it. I have a hard time seeing Sam in the later seasons putting up with that crap. I was trying to decide if Captain Sam would. I mean, there's not really a "type" of woman that endures abuse - it sort of sneaks up on you I think. I'm procrastinating my Professional Boundaries story... looking for another plot penguin (hey you have stenos, others have bunnies, I do the penguin thing)
            In my opinion - absolutely NOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
              Oooh, spanky new thread!

Hi shippers *starts digging an angst cavern into the new thread*

Ahhhh, lovely - home sweet home
              Bekki!!!!! *squishy huggles*....welcome back....

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post

What? New thread. So nobody has seen the banners before, right?

Right?!

Only here, we're proud of breaking something...

Aww, sooooo cute!

Yes, I'm here. Alive and kickin'. *waves*
              good.....*squishy huggles*

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
              Thanks ladies!

It does! It looks weird.
              ...Like Teal'c in a tutu.

That'll teach us not to break things wih Ship.

Fluff:

- I think there's a crack!fic plot bunny there.....

Tragic OT:

Spoiler:
              Yesterday I wrote a little fic on depression b/c I wanted to open up an avenue for discussion... well I got an email from a very close and dear friend of mine - her younger brother killed himself yesterday. He was a marine, in law school, and had a wife with a baby on the way. I went to high school with him. As someone who lives with severe depression herself and who is watching this unfold with shock, please please please if you feel this way talk to someone. Hell, send me an e-mail because I'll gladly talk about what I deal with just so you don't feel alone. Just don't do anything...reckless. I love you guys.
              (((((((Shannon))))))) - so sad....

I think they're trying to figure out what's up with the other thread, fix it, then merge this thread into it. We'll see....

It's probably hard for them to work. Deep in the gutter, dark in the cavern, or encased in fluff can't exactly be optimum work environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                Fic rec!

From the Watertower by rowan-d
                Thanks! I love her stuff... sometimes

*runs off to read*

Darn. It's OoC... IMHO... for Jack/Sam S6. But, like I said <--- uber picky. I often wish I *wasn't*.

*sigh*

EDIT: I adore her "Into the Light," which is on this page here. It's NC-17 so I can't link it directly.

EDIT2: My beta is the most awesomest ever. 65 Christmas Parties, 97 Nutcracker rehearsals and performances, and one Middle School dance and she still gets the story back within an hour ..scampers off to post
                Last edited by JenniferJF; 13 December 2009, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I love her stuff... sometimes

*runs off to read*

Darn. It's OoC... IMHO... for Jack/Sam S6. But, like I said <--- uber picky. I often wish I *wasn't*.

*sigh*
                  I think I'm read so much stuff that's OoC, that they have to be kissing/breaking the regs or just not *sound* like them for me to be bothered by it.

And sometimes I'll admit, I read OoC...just because.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                    I think I'm read so much stuff that's OoC, that they have to be kissing/breaking the regs or just not *sound* like them for me to be bothered by it.

And sometimes I'll admit, I read OoC...just because.

Nuthin' wrong with that. And it's my personal view of the characters that I look for - which isn't the same as everyone's. Like I said, sometimes I wish I wasn't

Comment

It's amazing how many stories have Sam being the victim of domestic violence at Pete's hands.

And while I do admire some authors who are clearly taking it seriously and trying to highlight the issue through Sam as a character, I really can't say I find it completely believable in any fic I've read partly, because any fic with Pete physically violent seems a distortion of his character and partly, because despite her tolerating hissy fits the morning after aside, I don't think she'd tolerate actual violence.

I can see her offguard in a personal situation getting hit once by surprise, and that would be the end of the relationship - and I don't doubt if whoever it was tried again, she would protect herself.

However, I do accept the point that sometimes it's the people you least expect to be suffering physical violence in a domestic situation who are; that getting hit by someone you love and who purports to love you is very different from a battlefield engaging hand to hand with an enemy.

I just think it's a very difficult scenario to write a fic around with any believability. And I have come across one or two where Jack is the violent abuser which just leaves me gobsmacked really...
                      sigpic
                      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

As threatened promised: Duty. Set directly after ITLoD. Yet another Jack at Sam's bedside fic. *sigh*

EDIT: I seriously need to stop writing fics. These stenos are breeding like nubbins, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                          It's amazing how many stories have Sam being the victim of domestic violence at Pete's hands.

And while I do admire some authors who are clearly taking it seriously and trying to highlight the issue through Sam as a character, I really can't say I find it completely believable in any fic I've read partly, because any fic with Pete physically violent seems a distortion of his character and partly, because despite her tolerating hissy fits the morning after aside, I don't think she'd tolerate actual violence.

I can see her offguard in a personal situation getting hit once by surprise, and that would be the end of the relationship - and I don't doubt if whoever it was tried again, she would protect herself.

However, I do accept the point that sometimes it's the people you least expect to be suffering physical violence in a domestic situation who are; that getting hit by someone you love and who purports to love you is very different from a battlefield engaging hand to hand with an enemy.

I just think it's a very difficult scenario to write a fic around with any believability. And I have come across one or two where Jack is the violent abuser which just leaves me gobsmacked really...
                          Well the plot idea I had would have been set when she was a Captain (or even AU with a non-military Sam) with a completely made up character. I don't see Pete as an abuser - and like you I just see it as a distortion of his character (and I feel that often times it's a projected dislike of the character - a demonizing if you will). I was actually looking at doing more of an emotional/verbal abuse - sort of a different take.

Nuthin' wrong with that. And it's my personal view of the characters that I look for - which isn't the same as everyone's. Like I said, sometimes I wish I wasn't
                          I'll put up with OOC... to an extent. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to see S/J say SCREW THE REGS - but I'm picky about that. I hate the long drawn out conversations of "Are you sure?" "What about our careers?" and of course it's always assume they're going to get court martialed. Which is why I wrote my AU Supposed Crime Because I wanted to fulfill my eff-you fantasy in fic to my own satisfaction LOL

If the author only slides out of the lines a little I'll keep reading but if we start scribbling all over the page... and I absolutely SCREAM if they keep them on the same team at the end of the fic. Usually I won't even read the last few paragraphs if I find out they're going to stay on SG-1 together. And then I'm sad I even finished the fic.

And your beta is awesome - and tell her I miss her!

Comment

Anyone have any good post/during BD episode tag fics?

I'm in the mood for some... And I've already read Rachel's episode tag and Pol's campfire for it.

Comment

Well the plot idea I had would have been set when she was a Captain (or even AU with a non-military Sam) with a completely made up character. I don't see Pete as an abuser - and like you I just see it as a distortion of his character (and I feel that often times it's a projected dislike of the character - a demonizing if you will). I was actually looking at doing more of an emotional/verbal abuse - sort of a different take.
                              You could, really, do it with Jonas before her days on SG1 and do it within canon. Maybe have the events within the series trigger memories?

Just a thought, but you know I'm biased against AU

Comment

You could, really, do it with Jonas before her days on SG1 and do it within canon. Maybe have the events within the series trigger memories?

Just a thought, but you know I'm biased against AU
                                I know but if I don't do AU I can't get S/J together - it's okay. I'll warn you so you can avoid it LOL Bren doesn't do You don't do AU... I don't do fluff (unless Amanda makes me or you trick me...)

Comment

Working...
                                X