Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tech discussion thread! (possible spoilers for any season, SG-1 and Atlantis)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tech discussion thread! (possible spoilers for any season, SG-1 and Atlantis)

Well its been a long time since ive seen a good tech discussion on here and since that was what got me into the forum in the first place ive been missing it. so im starting this thread for a discussion of anything and everything technological. Ships, weapons, alien, human, it doesnt matter! got a question? post it and lets discuss it! One of the greatest parts of Stargate is the tech that is seen, used, developed and this thread is dedicated to it! Whether its a question of how something could work, or a question of where we got it, bring it here! there is only two rules: No discussion of why the iris isnt destroyed when the gate is dialed, there have been more than enough threads dedicated to that alone, and second have fun!

Woo! I'm subscibing to this thread. There's so much tech, i dont even know where to begin. This might help, though.
    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
      Woo! I'm subscibing to this thread. There's so much tech, i dont even know where to begin. This might help, though.
      the omnipedia is a great resource definately. heres a good question to start things off. in "Absolute Power" daniel uses the knowledge of the goa'uld to create an inpenatrable defense network around earth. why then have we never seen any goa'uld utilize any kind of orbital sefense system? it seems to me that given how centered they are on starships for waging battles, that they would employ some kind of automated defense system. actually that raises another point, why don't the goa'uld use more automated systems in everything? the only thing we have ever seen that wasnt directly controlled by a goa'uld or a jaffa was anubis' probe in "Heros" any thoughts anyone?

Comment

I suppose they don't use automated efenses because they would not be able to detect a difference between friendly or enemy ship, seeing they al use the same technologie. And on top they steal the technologie they use so the chance that they could make something usefull out of it is remote.
        We also don't know if what Daniel had in his mind was really Goa'uld or Ancient.
        Today Is Yesterdays Tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Icegod
          I suppose they don't use automated efenses because they would not be able to detect a difference between friendly or enemy ship, seeing they al use the same technologie. And on top they steal the technologie they use so the chance that they could make something usefull out of it is remote.
          We also don't know if what Daniel had in his mind was really Goa'uld or Ancient.
          no it was goa'uld. the harcesis has all the knowledge of the goa'uld. the whole point of the episode was to end the harcesis arc by showing that even their knowledge is tinged with evil and we cant just "download" it and know everything, we have to do things the hard way and learn responsibility with the technology as well.

as for detecting friendly and enemy ships, how do they do it now? all you need is to have your ships broadcast a signal that your defense system recognizes and they shoot down anything else.

Comment

The unfinish ship in "Nightwalkers", a lot of tech developed by SGC and Area 51 require Naquada ,like BC303 and F302.
            The Cloned Goa'uld were building a space ship.But since the only US government and Russian had access to Naquad at the time.
            I guess the cloned Goa'uld were building a ship capable of leaving Earth 's system without using Naquada.

We saw the ship is partially finish, with plans on CDs and on blueprint recover by Carter,from what i saw on the blueprint ( a few sec on screen).It doesn't look like tradional Goa'uld design ( trianglar shape design)
            The design plans and the stuff could be valuable, because Earth doesn't have any naquada mine.So any Naquada imported from offworld must have a high demand ,from SG programs and other governments (UK,France, China and Russian) .
            A non-naquada base Goa'uld technologies can be useful.

The Herbredian Ion drive , Carter told General Hammond how important the Ion drive was.
            We were never told about the Goa'uld sub-light drive, only we know the sub-light engine is important when a mother ship exit the hyperspace.I wonder if they install the ion drive onto the X-303.The Herbredian doesn't use stargate, i guess their sub-light engine must be pretty powerful for them.
            With the Ion-drive and Asgard hyperdrive , does Earth have the advantage over the Goa'uld in both sub-light speed and hyperspace.

The Tagrean gunship(S6 Memento) look kind of like balloon shaped , i wonder if they are fill with air (hydrogen or hot air etc) or are they anti-gravity.How advance are the Tagrean?a few decade more advance than Earth?

The Nanobot use in S1 that age Jack was use by the NID to age the human/Goauld hybrid.How much advance did the Earth make on Nanotech because of the Stargate programme, and witht he replicator threat ,are we going too learnt enough to fight the replicator?

The people from S7 "Lifeboat" , they look advance but they don't have hyperdrive, i wonder did Earth gain any space technologies from them, because Earth doesn't have much exxperience in space tech, we jump from space shuttle to Prometheus. There is a gap between Goa'uld technologies and Earth .A hybrid techlogoies is still too much rely on the Goa'uld side.

S8 spoiler
            What is the difference between Tin-man Carter ( the robot double of Sam from "Tin man") and Replicarter ,the replicator copy of Sam.They are both A.I ,both make with the image and the mind of Sam. Tin man Carter was sacifices herself to save the SG1 and the Tinman SG1,and Replicarter was so Evil??

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau
              The unfinish ship in "Nightwalkers", a lot of tech developed by SGC and Area 51 require Naquada ,like BC303 and F302.
              The Cloned Goa'uld were building a space ship.But since the only US government and Russian had access to Naquad at the time.
              I guess the cloned Goa'uld were building a ship capable of leaving Earth 's system without using Naquada.

We saw the ship is partially finish, with plans on CDs and on blueprint recover by Carter,from what i saw on the blueprint ( a few sec on screen).It doesn't look like tradional Goa'uld design ( trianglar shape design)
              The design plans and the stuff could be valuable, because Earth doesn't have any naquada mine.So any Naquada imported from offworld must have a high demand ,from SG programs and other governments (UK,France, China and Russian) .
              A non-naquada base Goa'uld technologies can be useful.

The Herbredian Ion drive , Carter told General Hammond how important the Ion drive was.
              We were never told about the Goa'uld sub-light drive, only we know the sub-light engine is important when a mother ship exit the hyperspace.I wonder if they install the ion drive onto the X-303.The Herbredian doesn't use stargate, i guess their sub-light engine must be pretty powerful for them.
              With the Ion-drive and Asgard hyperdrive , does Earth have the advantage over the Goa'uld in both sub-light speed and hyperspace.

The Tagrean gunship(S6 Memento) look kind of like balloon shaped , i wonder if they are fill with air (hydrogen or hot air etc) or are they anti-gravity.How advance are the Tagrean?a few decade more advance than Earth?

The Nanobot use in S1 that age Jack was use by the NID to age the human/Goauld hybrid.How much advance did the Earth make on Nanotech because of the Stargate programme, and witht he replicator threat ,are we going too learnt enough to fight the replicator?

The people from S7 "Lifeboat" , they look advance but they don't have hyperdrive, i wonder did Earth gain any space technologies from them, because Earth doesn't have much exxperience in space tech, we jump from space shuttle to Prometheus. There is a gap between Goa'uld technologies and Earth .A hybrid techlogoies is still too much rely on the Goa'uld side.

S8 spoiler
              What is the difference between Tin-man Carter ( the robot double of Sam from "Tin man") and Replicarter ,the replicator copy of Sam.They are both A.I ,both make with the image and the mind of Sam. Tin man Carter was sacifices herself to save the SG1 and the Tinman SG1,and Replicarter was so Evil??
              The fact that cloned Goa'ulds were building a starship from scratch, without Naquadah, proves they are extremely intelligent beings and do not steal all of their technology. I've been saying it for a long time now: The Goa'uld are not just thieves, but they are creative and innovative and have proven they can develop their own technologies. In this case, they had to improvise and create a ship without the usual Goa'uld technology and building materials. I'd say that was pretty clever of them.

I don't think the Hebredian Ion drive is more powerful or quicker than Goa'uld hyperdrives or sub-light drives. I'd say the Goa'uld tech is superior, but I really don't know much more about the Hebredian tech. Supposedly, they (Serrakin) drove the Goa'uld away hundreds of years ago and liberated the Hebredian people. Would you guess they are as advanced as the Aschen or Tollan, or less?

The Tagreans from Memento were inferior technology-wise than Earth. Those gunships were probably similar to the Goodyear Blimp in terms of being a dergible or whatever. They didn't look all that impressive to me. If they weren't filled with some sort of gas, they may have been propelled in a manner similar to helicopters or something. I'm not really sure, but their tech looked less advanced than ours by at least 40-50 years, maybe similar to Jonas Quinn's people.

The people in Lifeboat did look fairly advanced, maybe related to Martin's people or something like that. I'd say not as advanced as the Tolans, for sure, and probably not as advanced as the Aschen. It would be cool if we were able to get some info or technology from them, but it was never realy discussed -- typical of SG-1, unfortunately.

Robo Tin-man Carter vs. Replicarter? Good question, but hard to answer. Both are machines, but the purpose of the machine is different. In the Tin-man robot/android, the purpose was to simulate human beings in a good way -- to fill in a void of lonliness and to take the place of real humans. Harlan's intentions were good and he never meant to replace a real human, but rather to take the place of one. Replicarter's purpose is to create a higher level replicator; to evolve the replicators to a more advanced, intelligent form. Specifically, the Replicarter is there to serve and benefit Fifth, who doesnt wish to be alone.

Other than that, they are quite similar. I think internally, however, Tin-man Carter is more machine, whereas Replicarter is probably much more complex internally. What's your idea?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                the omnipedia is a great resource definately. heres a good question to start things off. in "Absolute Power" daniel uses the knowledge of the goa'uld to create an inpenatrable defense network around earth. why then have we never seen any goa'uld utilize any kind of orbital sefense system? it seems to me that given how centered they are on starships for waging battles, that they would employ some kind of automated defense system. actually that raises another point, why don't the goa'uld use more automated systems in everything? the only thing we have ever seen that wasnt directly controlled by a goa'uld or a jaffa was anubis' probe in "Heros" any thoughts anyone?

Because the Go'ald develop their own tech.. they are yet to create their own from their knowlage. I think there have been similar threads to this in the past, but we have to remember that they are a parasitic race that steels tech and mearly addapts it. Daniel created a new kind of tech using the similar weapons that the Go'ald already have.

I know its a tad bit of a lame reason.

Sy~
                A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
                "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
                "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

I think it comes down to psychology. The Goa'uld generally don't seem to favor automated technology, and I think it's basically a matter of arrogance. They would rather dominate their worlds via force and fear, using Jaffa. They want their slaves to worship them, and they want them to see that the Gods themselves control their fate. Automated systems can also be defeated when left unattended for lengthy periods... believers will fight with vigor in the name of their gods. The sattelites also didn't seem to be so much use against external enemies arriving by Stargate... whereas Daniel was making weapons to control enemies living on the same world as them, and could act as deterrant to ship-bourne enemies.

-IMF
                  "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                  "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                  BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sy~
                    Because the Go'ald develop their own tech.. they are yet to create their own from their knowlage. I think there have been similar threads to this in the past, but we have to remember that they are a parasitic race that steels tech and mearly addapts it. Daniel created a new kind of tech using the similar weapons that the Go'ald already have.

I know its a tad bit of a lame reason.

Sy~
                    by now they have to have stolen tech from a race that used advanced computers and stuff. also we know that they at least have some understanding of the idea of automated defense systems. they have taks, although they only ever saw them used in one episode "dead man switch" the taks are designed to automatically shoot at heat signatures. also while for the most part they do just steal their technology, they do research and develop technology, even if it based on aquired technology. in "double jeapordy" cronus had a goa'uld underling who was a scientist and studied and developed tech for him. while anubis got a lot of his tech directly from ancient knowledge, he did r&d some himself, i.e. the robot probe from "heros" and he had goa'uld scientists working for him in the same episode on his planet where they created super soldiers. in "Abyss" the fortress where oniell is captured is described by the tok'ra as ba'al's reasearch and development into gravitational technology. so the goa'uld do r&d technology, its just that the base technology is stolen from other races, actually exactly the same as the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                      I think it comes down to psychology. The Goa'uld generally don't seem to favor automated technology, and I think it's basically a matter of arrogance. They would rather dominate their worlds via force and fear, using Jaffa. They want their slaves to worship them, and they want them to see that the Gods themselves control their fate. Automated systems can also be defeated when left unattended for lengthy periods... believers will fight with vigor in the name of their gods. The sattelites also didn't seem to be so much use against external enemies arriving by Stargate... whereas Daniel was making weapons to control enemies living on the same world as them, and could act as deterrant to ship-bourne enemies.

-IMF
                      the goa'uld want to be sen as gods, but most jaffa realize that alot of their "magic" is technology, especially since the jaffa operate it. automated or remote operated systems would seem more "magical" than systems that have to be operated by jaffa. also they no longer trust the jaffa as they once did, so automation would give them greater control in the face of jaffa uprisings. believers only fight with vigor so long as they believe. how many of the rebel jaffa would still believe the goa'uld were gods if they hadnt been proven not to be by having their "magic" revealed for what it really is? as for the stargates, the goa'uld dont use the stargates for full on assaults, they may try to send a few troops or a weapon through but they dont use the stargates for full scale invasion. it would be silly to try to use the stargate as an invasion platform anyways because it would create a dangerous bottleneck. thats why the goa'uld maintain massive fleets of ships. they use their ships to take over planets. they start by using orbital bombardments to soften up the target and then they land the troops. (Major Davis does a great rundown on their invasion tactics in "Disclosure") so orbital defense platforms would secure a planet against invasion by ship

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                        the goa'uld want to be sen as gods, but most jaffa realize that alot of their "magic" is technology, especially since the jaffa operate it. automated or remote operated systems would seem more "magical" than systems that have to be operated by jaffa. also they no longer trust the jaffa as they once did, so automation would give them greater control in the face of jaffa uprisings. believers only fight with vigor so long as they believe. how many of the rebel jaffa would still believe the goa'uld were gods if they hadnt been proven not to be by having their "magic" revealed for what it really is? as for the stargates, the goa'uld dont use the stargates for full on assaults, they may try to send a few troops or a weapon through but they dont use the stargates for full scale invasion. it would be silly to try to use the stargate as an invasion platform anyways because it would create a dangerous bottleneck. thats why the goa'uld maintain massive fleets of ships. they use their ships to take over planets. they start by using orbital bombardments to soften up the target and then they land the troops. (Major Davis does a great rundown on their invasion tactics in "Disclosure") so orbital defense platforms would secure a planet against invasion by ship
                        The thing is that we haven't seen any, because the SGC always approaches via Gate, and never by ship. Thus, they may be there, and we just haven't been in a position to be exposed to them yet.

-IMF
                        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

LordAnubis > You are wrong, they intended to get Naquada because they were gonna implement goa'uld in very important humans around the stargate program, so they could have wipe SG-1 out and then use the stargate for themself ... so they are just a ******* race ! They never intended to create a new kind of ship you know ... they just wanted to implement goauld symbiote into important personnal !
                          - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                          - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                          - The Nox

Comment

Okay, here are a few questions question i have about goa'uld weapons: Why do staff weapons never need more ammo? We find that it is powered by a small liquid naqueda cell in the episode where o'neill gets his head sucked the first time, but is l.n. like yeast? does it make more of itself and regenerate after each shot? and how did bratac do that cool rapid fire thing in 'family', and why hasn't anyone else done it?
                            ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by po134
                              LordAnubis > You are wrong, they intended to get Naquada because they were gonna implement goa'uld in very important humans around the stargate program, so they could have wipe SG-1 out and then use the stargate for themself ... so they are just a ******* race ! They never intended to create a new kind of ship you know ... they just wanted to implement goauld symbiote into important personnal !
                              And you're privvy to this knowledge how? You're speculating here. Remember one thing, I am never wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X