This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some help with a system lord

He there. i'm writing a little fan fic mini series thing, and i have a system lord who rises to the top. he invents these things called death valkyries, which are advanced death gliders. except there's one problem. valkyries aren't greek, or roman, or egyptian, or even norse. would anyone happen to know what earth culture invented the valkyries? and if so, who would be their 'supreme' god? (eg. Norse and thor or egyptians and ra)
    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

i always understood valkyries to be norse, and they served Odin. i could be wrong though, but thats they way ive always heard them described

Comment

hmm. i've checked several sites about norse stuff, but i haven't seen anything mentioned about valkyries. i'll try googlig something like 'history of the valkyrie'. thanks

Comment

here is a good rundown on them, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyries

Comment

They must be norse, because they're mentioned in Thor's Hammer
          Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
          Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

woah, thanks alot you guys. that changes my whole story. i think i'll have the system lord be, well, lord odin, except he'll be a goa'uld asgard, but an asgard from when they looked like humans. once again, thanks.

Comment

You know, you could just call them something other than death valkyries, which is - aside from anything else - a crappy name. You could just lose the death, for starters: Valkyries are the choosers of the slain; the death is implied.

Mind you, 'death glider' isn't exactly the greatest name ever; sort of up there with 'gateship'.

But I digress. What's important is that the fic makes sense to you, obviously, but from Earth mythology it's clear that Odin was a major player in the Asgard intervention on Earth some two thousand years ago - 30,000 years after the Asgard last looked remotely human. Maybe it was a different Odin, but why would he be using the same iconography as an Odin who went bad millennia before?

I just think you should think carefully about whether the complication of a Goa'ulded Asgard suits your fic, or whether the Lammassu of Lady Inanna - for example - would work better.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I'll second Prophet. Trying to cross the Asgard and Goa'uld pantheons doesn't sounds like a very good idea. Instead of convoluting your story to include Odin, why not change "Death Valkyrie" to something else?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  I'll second Prophet. Trying to cross the Asgard and Goa'uld pantheons doesn't sounds like a very good idea. Instead of convoluting your story to include Odin, why not change "Death Valkyrie" to something else?
                  I third the motion.
                  Trying to cross one pantheon with another will only give you a headache as you try and iron out all the lumps, bumps, and wrinkles.

I'd chosen the Egyptian cat Goddess Bastet to be the principal villain for an SG-1 fic I'm in the process of writing, thinking she hadn't been used in the series and I could make the character up as I went along - big mistake - one of my (ahem) friends, helpfully pointed out that she's appeared in the fifth season two parter "Summit" and "Last Stand" -aarrgghh! Cue major headache and a rapid rethink of the story...

By the way - am I the only person who can't help singing "Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!" every time I hear Ride of the Valkyries?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                    I'd chosen the Egyptian cat Goddess Bastet to be the principal villain for an SG-1 fic I'm in the process of writing, thinking she hadn't been used in the series and I could make the character up as I went along - big mistake - one of my (ahem) friends, helpfully pointed out that she's appeared in the fifth season two parter "Summit" and "Last Stand" -aarrgghh! Cue major headache and a rapid rethink of the story...
                    If you want to stick with a cat-goddess theme and your Bastet is pretty aggressive, you could pretty much swap her out for the dreadlocked panther-goddess Mafdet. Sekhmet might also work, but she too has appeared in the canon.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                    X