hyperspace windows as weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hyperspace windows as weapons?

When a ship jumps into hyperspace, a hyperspace windows forms at some distance in front of it, and then it either jumps into it, or is sucked into it.

Could this formation of a window be used as a weapon? If a window would form 200 meters in front of me, and a Wraith Cruiser was 200 meters in front of me, would the window form inside of it? What kind of effect would that have? Do windows not form where matter exists?

Well, theoretically you could form an unstable hyperspace window infront of the ship and have the enemy fly into it.
    Originally posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by gateface View Post
      When a ship jumps into hyperspace, a hyperspace windows forms at some distance in front of it, and then it either jumps into it, or is sucked into it.

Could this formation of a window be used as a weapon? If a window would form 200 meters in front of me, and a Wraith Cruiser was 200 meters in front of me, would the window form inside of it? What kind of effect would that have? Do windows not form where matter exists?
      Hyperspace windows appear in empty space, that is, an area without an immediate gravitational distortion. If they could be generated, then ships wouldn't have to get into orbit to make the jump. (call this the New Mombasa Law of FTL)
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
        Hyperspace windows appear in empty space, that is, an area without an immediate gravitational distortion. If they could be generated, then ships wouldn't have to get into orbit to make the jump. (call this the New Mombasa Law of FTL)
        Not true... we've seen hyperspace windows form in the atmospheres of planets, they're just not very safe.

Comment

it's possible, but also very lame

Comment

Sg ships are moving at 10+c you can't see this from visuals but all evidence point to this and Aphophis Ha'tak's were going 10.000G in S1 finale to reach from jupiter to earth in that amount of time.

Plus the hyperspace window takes tome to open and a ship could theoretically avoid it if necessarily. Now planets, is the other side of the window negative pressure if so why didn't the air got sucked when the corgo ship entered above antartica and the repli ship escaped from orilla or was there some safety shield that they used stop such a thing. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by gateface View Post
              If a window would form 200 meters in front of me, and a Wraith Cruiser was 200 meters in front of me, would the window form inside of it? What kind of effect would that have? Do windows not form where matter exists?
              I think that an hyperspace window can't form in solid matter. It is extremly unstable when formed in atmoshere, it can form beacause gazes are made mostly of empty space, but I doubt it can form in a ship.
              sigpicProtoss doesn't need Ancient or Asqards, they are even more powerfull than these both reunited

Comment

I think that the hyperspace window only affects the ship that created it, like if opens in the atmosphere the atmosphere won't get sucked in. And can be made to fit two ships or more depending on how much power you have.

Comment

Actually, a hyperspace window would tear apart the target if formed inside it, as seen in The Lost Tribe, when the water below it forms a dip, a window is actually created with anti-gravity, so if it pops up inside something, that thing will explode outward.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    Actually, a hyperspace window would tear apart the target if formed inside it, as seen in The Lost Tribe, when the water below it forms a dip, a window is actually created with anti-gravity, so if it pops up inside something, that thing will explode outward.
                    Link.

Didn't it happen in First Contact?

Comment

I'd say matter disrupts the formation of a hyperspace window - not totally, but enough to make it tricky. When O'Neill opened a window in the upper atmosphere to dispose of the Stargate, there seemed to be a hell of a lot of arcing, massive energy being dumped into the air - since this was a one way trip anyway, I suppose damage to the 302 didn't matter.

Maybe it's the same or similar effect to Stargates being unable to activate if buried - sufficient matter prevents a wormhole forming, but possibly the gate can push fluids aside to create a highly localised vacuum.

As for the Pegasus Asgard opening atmospheric windows, they could be advanced enough to either deal with the dangerous energy (there wasn't any arcing IIRC) or else create some kind of precursor anti-grav pulse to push air and water away, again creating a highly localised vacuum allowing the window to form.

I therefore don't think you could use a window as a weapon, except to throw an enemy vessel into hyperspace unexpectedly as the second poster said.
                      Last edited by Sealurk; 12 December 2009, 01:43 PM. Reason: fixed typos
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I think the window arching in "Redemption" is because the window was unstable due to the naquadria powering the generator.

The effect in "First Contact" was due to the spacial distortion caused by the exit window forming

And maybe you could use it as a weapon if it opened inside the ship and tore it in half by forcing half of it into hyperspace.

But without the ship generating a hyperspace field, wouldn't it just be forced back out again?
                        Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

i doubt that it would be a very effective weapon because if you just generated a hyperspace window in front of your enemy, it dosent mean that he has to go into it because as i understand the technology, the way it works is that the hyperspace generators create a hyperspace window that you then use the sublight engines to fly into and your not really sucked into it no matter what because the 302 was able to avoid the unstable window so any enemy ship could also do the same thing.

as for the effects of generating one inside a ship, first of all, i would find that to be a very very difficult thing to accomplish because the hyperspace generators take a few seconds to power up before they can generate the window and when you consider that the enemy is most likely moving, to actually time it perfectly so that it forms inside the ship i would see that as next to impossible.
                          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

It depends on how hyperspace and hyperspace generators work in Stargate, I know hypersapace windows were used as a weapon in Babylon 5.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                              i doubt that it would be a very effective weapon because if you just generated a hyperspace window in front of your enemy, it dosent mean that he has to go into it because as i understand the technology, the way it works is that the hyperspace generators create a hyperspace window that you then use the sublight engines to fly into and your not really sucked into it no matter
                              Like in "Grace" Carter activated the hyperspace window, but the cloud would let the sublight engines work to get the Prometheus into the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X