Wray's IOA Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wray's IOA Career

So I got the impression in "Life" that Wray was denied promotion because she is gay. Does she not realize this? If she does why is she still loyal to the IOA (and by that I mean why does she want to do their bidding and usurp command)?

Does anybody else think that is the case, that she was denied her promotion because of her sexuality?

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
    So I got the impression in "Life" that Wray was denied promotion because she is gay.
    What gave you that impression?

Comment

That was the impression I got too. It seemed like a touchy subject as to why they didn't appreciate her that much, or why she wasn't their ideal candidate to be dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
        So I got the impression in "Life" that Wray was denied promotion because she is gay. Does she not realize this? If she does why is she still loyal to the IOA (and by that I mean why does she want to do their bidding and usurp command)?

Does anybody else think that is the case, that she was denied her promotion because of her sexuality?
        Didn't get a hint of that. If her employers were keeping her back because of her sexuality, couldn't she do something drastic... like, sue? Or quit, at least.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Didn't get a hint of that. If her employers were keeping her back because of her sexuality, couldn't she do something drastic... like, sue? Or quit, at least.
          She working for a top secret organisation, she can't sue. She could quit I suppose, but she'd just be cutting her nose off to spite her face.
          Last edited by KEK; 08 December 2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I got this vibe, too. Like in real life, it rarely ever gets spelled out exactly or even spoken about out loud. It's a subtle form of sexism and homophobia. No one actually states that the reason you didn't get the promotion is because of your sexual orientation, but...

It still happens to women in the workforce all the time (regardless of their sexual orientation) although it's more prevalent in some industries than others. It's very hard to quantify and/or prove. Just think of why people will refer to a certain management team as the "old boys network" and you get hints of what you need to be to get your foot in the door. If you don't fit the mold, you have to be twice as good to get half as far.

IMO, Wray continues to "support" the IOA because it's her job. And, it does give her a certain measure of authority in a situation where there is no other IOA representative outranking her on board Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              She working for a top secret organisation, she can't sue. She could quit I suppose, she'd just be cutting her nose off to spite her face.
              Yeah, true.

Orrrr... to spite them she can be a helpful and generally good-hearted IOA rep. The soulless up top would be in for a shock!
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

If I were her, and I discovered that they were discriminating against me and trying to use me to gain control of an off-world expedition I'd be pretty annoyed.

Comment

Working...
                X