Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Greer allowed to carry a weapon again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Greer allowed to carry a weapon again?

He's practically portrayed and semi-psychotic. He apparently assaulted Telford because "he was asking for it", he denied Rush water and then threatened to shoot him on that one planet and in this episode, he practically acts threateningly towards his new commander.

He comes to Camille Wray in her quarters, stands in front of her, looks at her with that semi-psychotic look of his, then speaks in quasi-threatening manner about how she suspected him of being the killer. I mean, why would he even discuss that with her? Then he just stood there, clearly trying to intimidate her and when she asked him to step aside, he did and then told her "I'm not going anywhere".

Clearly there's something wrong with Young and Scott, who seem to think the world of him. OK, so maybe he's good at shoot things. But I'm with Wray on this one. I'd have him as my prime suspect too if someone ended up dead anywhere near him. He's got some aggression issues and it might just be a matter of time before he actually kills someone.

I can understand Young sympathizing with his quasi-psychosis. But Scott? What, they're friends so he'll overlook his macho overzealous assaults and death threats?

I have been wondering the same thing. I gave it up as a lack of imagination on Young and Scott's parts, because this is a friend and commrade of theirs. But Greer has pointed guns at unarmed people one too many times, and made too many threats. Then again, when you let a sad, sick man like the guy who killed himself run around, Greer might not seem so bad.
    He's dangerous. A grenade that's on Young's side, for now, and god help the commander if that grenade comes back to blow up in his face.

Comment

What exactly has he done wrong, besides stick up for himself and his commander?

Prior to "Air" he was locked up for hitting Telford. We don't know why, but considering how manipulative and antagonistic Telford is, it could've been deserved.

In "Air 1/2" Greer aimed his gun at Rush because he'd gotten them all trapped on this ship. Out of line? Perhaps, but understandable. At least more than the other characters, who haven't really brought that fact up or held any ill-will against Rush for getting them in their predicament.
      Then he gave Wray a little trouble after she suggested he be locked up. In fairness, it wasn't her decision and he pointed this out. She seemed to be trying to intimidate Greer and he let her know that he wouldn't be having it.

In "Air 3" he got fed up with Rush, pushed him down and pulled his gun on him AFTER Rush tried taking the water. He later shot Franklin on Rush's orders and to prevent them from getting stuck on the desert world.

Surely there are more examples of him being gung-ho and more than willing to pull his gun out and let it do the talking. From his "psych evaluation" in "Life" it sounds like he had a rough home life and that he was almost conditioned to follow in dad's footsteps and be a soldier. He also seems to think that being a hard-ass marine is the only way he can contribute, so he does it to his best ability. Psychopaths typically don't have control over their emotions and actions, which is why they're dangerous. I think if Greer was a true psychopath, he wouldn't have stopped before hurting Wray, shooting Rush, etc.

Comment

Shoving around a puny little scientist over a drink of water? Threatening to shoot him more than once? All he's shown, by not following through, is that he's not yet willing to defy the orders he's been given.

Comment

Greer has had the charges dropped for the time being and has been allowed back on duty because his CO has decided it. As CO of Icarus and the group on the Destiny Young has decided that Greer, being the most experienced military member on the base is more use helping the crew rather than being locked up. He has the power to do that, if when Greer returns to Earth Telford wants to bring up charges he can, until then it is up to Young what happens to him. That’s why he has been released.

As for his actions, well they are frankly probably what most military members would do, right or wrong. The best way to anger a person in the military is to have their CO, especially if they respect and like there CO, caught up with politics and bureaucratic games. You may not like it but the majority of military personnel would have not exactly been supportive of Wray. Despite that episodes like Time have proved that Greer has a strong protective streak, he is very upset when a different version of himself cant save people in Time, so he’s hardly simply psychotic.
          Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 08 December 2009, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Greer is like my favorite character. He's the career soldier. Dedicated to his duty and likes combat a little too much. Now assulting an officer is a no no, a big no no, but there's not a soldier that's served that didn't want to do it. So the writers gave us one who did.

Of all the charater flaws SGU is giving us, somehow this guy is the one that bothers me the least.

Comment

He comes to Camille Wray in her quarters, stands in front of her, looks at her with that semi-psychotic look of his, then speaks in quasi-threatening manner about how she suspected him of being the killer. I mean, why would he even discuss that with her? Then he just stood there, clearly trying to intimidate her and when she asked him to step aside, he did and then told her "I'm not going anywhere".
              not to mention he was gonna beat the crap outa Wray back in the pilot ep (to think some ppl compare him to Teal'c. lol). anyway as to why Young let him keep his gun - double standards, simple. this is even more blatant in Spencer's case

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                not to mention he was gonna beat the crap outa Wray back in the pilot ep (to think some ppl compare him to Teal'c. lol). anyway as to why Young let him keep his gun - double standards, simple. this is even more blatant in Spencer's case
                Ah, I remember this debate. It's the "Teal'c beat his wife, but we can look past that. Greer was menacing to a woman who was implying she wanted him locked up and we can't let that slide!"

I will again defend Greer and say that in that episode, he could've hit Wray and proven that he is a psycho. He didn't, and it wasn't under orders.

In this episode, he was looking out for his fellow marines and trying to size up Wray as a C.O. Was she going to let the marines do their jobs and protect the scientists, or would she reassign them all to duties that don't frighten her?

I think that once an enemy comes trying to pick a fight with Destiny and her crew, you'll be glad Greer is along.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                  Ah, I remember this debate. It's the "Teal'c beat his wife, but we can look past that. Greer was menacing to a woman who was implying she wanted him locked up and we can't let that slide!"

I will again defend Greer and say that in that episode, he could've hit Wray and proven that he is a psycho. He didn't, and it wasn't under orders.

In this episode, he was looking out for his fellow marines and trying to size up Wray as a C.O. Was she going to let the marines do their jobs and protect the scientists, or would she reassign them all to duties that don't frighten her?

I think that once an enemy comes trying to pick a fight with Destiny and her crew, you'll be glad Greer is along.
                  oh u mean way back in season 1 when Teal'c was fresh off his home planet & still adjusting to his new way o life ?
                  also, "beat his wife" ? must've been a cut scene...actually nope it didn't happen at all -_-
                  btw was Greer also brainwashed via 1337 alien tech to serve as righthand man to a galactic overlord by any chance ? Teal'c at least was able to overcome this. Greer can barely control his own impulses (he might make a good jaffa)
                  yeah Wray was concerned about having a potentially dangerous nutjob toting a gun around and had recently been in a holding cell, but heck he's wearing da uniform so obviously the rest is irrelevant isn't it :/ Greer was gonna beat the daylight outa her if Scott hadn't intervened
                  as for having Greer when the enemy strikes...not really - he's kinda like Deadpool minus the wit (minus most of the qualities), he can turn against u at any moment just for the heck of it lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    Greer has had the charges drooped for the time being and has been allowed back on duty because his CO has decided it. As CO of Icarus and the group on the Destiny Young has decided that Greer, being the most experienced military member on the base is more use helping the crew rather than being locked up. He has the power to do that, if when Greer returns to Earth Telford wants to bring up charges he can, until then it is up to Young what happens to him. That’s why he has been released.

As for his actions, well they are frankly probably what most military members would do, right or wrong. The best way to anger a person in the military is to have their CO, especially if they respect and like there CO, caught up with politics and bureaucratic games. You may not like it but the majority of military personnel would have not exactly been supportive of Wray. Despite that episodes like Time have proved that Greer has a strong protective streak, he is very upset when a different version of himself cant save people in Time, so he’s hardly simply psychotic.
                    Exactly. Greer is a salty, hardass. People need to understand that such people exist in the military, and tend to be very good at their job.

Greer was upset that he was removed from the off ship duty list. Additionally, they way it was done by Wray was an absolute insult. The order came from her as opposed to someone in his actual chain of command. Had it been Scott or Young taking him off the list, he would have complied with the order.

Wray took him off the list out of spite. Not liking someone does not justify removing someone from duty like that.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Scott did eliminate him as a suspect of the matter, before Wray took over command over Young.

But as far as off world... he is currently on 'standby'? Thought I doubt this condition will exist as Young makes his way back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post

In "Air 1/2" Greer aimed his gun at Rush because he'd gotten them all trapped on this ship. Out of line? Perhaps, but understandable. At least more than the other characters, who haven't really brought that fact up or held any ill-will against Rush for getting them in their predicament.
                        To add to that, Greer only pulled the gun on Rush when Eli revealed that what Rush was about to do could destroy the ship.

So yeah, training a gun on someone who, with one push of a button, can kill everybody is probably not a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                          Exactly. Greer is a salty, hardass. People need to understand that such people exist in the military, and tend to be very good at their job.

Greer was upset that he was removed from the off ship duty list. Additionally, they way it was done by Wray was an absolute insult. The order came from her as opposed to someone in his actual chain of command. Had it been Scott or Young taking him off the list, he would have complied with the order.

Wray took him off the list out of spite. Not liking someone does not justify removing someone from duty like that.
                          I do like Greer, but I have to say even if Young or Scott had given him that order, he would have figured who it really came from and that scene still would have happened. He's not afraid to speak his mind, and that what I like about him.

Comment

I was going to copy and paste all the posts I agreed with, it would have been much simpler for me, but there were too many. Of the military personnel I've seen Greer, Riley and maybe James and TJ are the only ones I'd trust at this point, to actually make a selfless decision for good of those aboard. Additionally, I would want Greer with a weapon if we were on the same team, because I know he'd have my back.

Regarding Scott and Greer and their dynamic, if the writers explore it, I think it is potentially very interesting. Greer has the battle experience, Scott has the rank, their struggle to find a balance between the 2, when to decide who is thinking clearly, could be very interesting.

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
                            I do like Greer, but I have to say even if Young or Scott had given him that order, he would have figured who it really came from and that scene still would have happened. He's not afraid to speak his mind, and that what I like about him.
                            And when Greer went to speak to Wray, he did not go to threaten or intimidate her. Wray may have been intimidated, but I think Wray would have been intimidated by any of the military personnel, plus I think she really did not want the responsibility of command at that point.

Comment

Greer IS a weapon.

Comment

Working...
                              X