Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Travel

Hello guys,

I was just talking last week with some other Stargate Fans from Slovenia about Space traveling in Stargate reality and I have some questions.

We have sublight travel (travel in our space),
    we have FTL travel (travel in our space),
    we have hyperspace travel (subspace),
    and we have wormwhole travel (?).

And aslo, if I remember this correctly Stargates aslo opperate in Subspace and are the 5th travel type.

why do we have so much travel types and why are this types still so different and alike at the same time? which was developed first, which is the fastest?

Fastest? Either Stargate or Wormhole Drive (I'd lean towards Stargate, with 0.3 seconds transit time according to Carter).

I'd guess most of the superluminal travel types (hyperspace, Stargate, wormhole drive and Destiny FTL) are all variations on a theme and generally employ similar technology, not to mention developed at different times. Destiny-type FTL could well be the first, then either Stargate or hyperspace (probably hyperspace first, Stargate second), then Wormhole Drive, which was never properly implemented before the Ancients ascended.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Well before we talk more I think that we should remove stargate travel from this discution, because I wanted to open this topic to talk about space travel types and speeds.

To talk more; how did Ancients came from Ori Galaxy to MW? Because we know that it would take to much time to travel with FTL and Hyperdrive travel speed. So maybe wormwhole or some alternative super speed travel type?

Comment

If you want to remove Stargate travel because it isn't ship-based, then Wormhole Drive immediately becomes the fastest. I included it largely because it probably shares a lot of the science and technology with other superluminal propulsion in Stargate, and as comparison.

As for the Ancients arriving in the Milky Way, since they are said to have left their home galaxy millions of years ago, it could well have taken them a very long time to get here even with Destiny-style FTL. Perhaps they were in stasis for the trip. Since Destiny is much, much older (and much less advanced) than most of the Ancient tech we've seen elsewhere in Stargate, it stands to reason that it's propulsion is less advanced, therefore FTL is probably the lowest on the list. Alternatively, FTL is capable of the same speed as hyperspace, or even greater speeds, but is less efficient, less stable, less safe or less versatile than hyperdrive.

They may have sent a ship ahead some time before leaving their galaxy to create a Supergate, perhaps as some sort of contingency, or it was something they always intended to use but for different reasons, and used that.

Personally, I'd say FTL is a crude precursor to hyperspace, and wormhole drive is the epitome of interstellar travel at speeds greater than light. Sublight is an entirely different beast because it probably has absolutely nothing in common with FTL or hyperdrive and is used exclusively in 'real' space.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by comperius View Post
          and we have wormwhole travel (?).

And aslo, if I remember this correctly Stargates aslo opperate in Subspace and are the 5th travel type.
          No. Stargates are a mechanism of wormhole travel. Wormholes are part of normal, albeit heavily distorted space, and the distance through a wormhole is shorter than that by normal path. Think of wormholes as shortcuts.

Stargate combines that with something similar to ring transport, which disintegrates you at origin and reintegrates you at destination. This allows traveler to pass through a wormhole without suffering effects of distorted space-time. In order to pass through wormhole without need of disintegration and reintegration, the wormhole needs to be rather large.

Stargates do use subspace for communication, but not for transport.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

The FTL used by the ancients to leave the ori galaxy would be either more basic or the same as the destiny FTL. It depends how long after the ancients arrived in MW they sent out the seeder ships and destiny.
            Also, I suspect that the ori galaxy is within our supercluster of galaxies rather than really far away. The next closest group to us is the M81 group, which is 11 million light years away. Even at 1 ly/min, it would only take the ancients, 21 years to arrive from the M81 group to here.

Comment

The wormhole drive doesn't exist >_>
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                No. Stargates are a mechanism of wormhole travel. Wormholes are part of normal, albeit heavily distorted space, and the distance through a wormhole is shorter than that by normal path. Think of wormholes as shortcuts.

Stargate combines that with something similar to ring transport, which disintegrates you at origin and reintegrates you at destination. This allows traveler to pass through a wormhole without suffering effects of distorted space-time. In order to pass through wormhole without need of disintegration and reintegration, the wormhole needs to be rather large.

Stargates do use subspace for communication, but not for transport.
                Actually it was stated in the SGU training videos that stargates uses subspace to form wormhole or that the stargate wormholes excist in subspace. But subspace is certainly involve with wormholes in the stargate universe.

This is somewhat different to the wormholes that we have theorise in real physics, but it makes sense that the real world wormholes are not what we are seeing use for stargate wormholes.

Atlantis wormhole drive makes no sense even within the universe. You are not suppose to be able to travel through a wormhole without being demolecurize before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  The wormhole drive doesn't exist >_>
                  What's "wormhole drive"? >.>
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Atlantis wormhole drive makes no sense even within the universe. You are not suppose to be able to travel through a wormhole without being demolecurize before hand.
                    Sure you can. Matter entering a wormhole is disintegrated by tidal forces. It is theoretically possible to construct a traversable wormhole with relatively small tidal forces. It would need to be large, though. I can't give you the exact size, but the larger the wormhole the lower are the tidal forces.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                      Sure you can. Matter entering a wormhole is disintegrated by tidal forces. It is theoretically possible to construct a traversable wormhole with relatively small tidal forces. It would need to be large, though. I can't give you the exact size, but the larger the wormhole the lower are the tidal forces.
                      Okay, that understandable, Especially give that do not black holes get weaker the larger they are, I think I read that somewhere, guest the same could apply for a worm hole.

Through it would have to be gigantic for Atlantis, surely the entry point would have to be many times the size of the city for it to not encounter tidal forces.

No wonder the ZPMs were running out of power when they arrive at earth.

Comment

So we all think that Ancients used FTL to get from Ori Galaxy or some other transport/travel type technology?

Comment

Originally posted by comperius View Post
                          So we all think that Ancients used FTL to get from Ori Galaxy or some other transport/travel type technology?
                          I'd say so. I'd think they arrived here, built Destiny and the gate-seeder ships and sent them out, and sometime later, developed hyperdrive. Towards the end of the Ancient civilisation they tinkered with wormhole drive but found the enormous power requirements and instability to be ridiculous even for them.
                          sigpic

Comment

well I dont get why they switched from FTL to hyperspace. why didnt they just upgraded it to higher speed? because as far as I undersand FTP/hyperspace technology FTL operates in our space and hyperspace operates in subspace. So why the change?

Regarding wormwhole drive I have a theory that it was under development between Antient vs. Wraith ever lasting war and never completed because Atlantis was left in PG...

Comment

hyperspace can be thousands of times faster.

hyperspace has nearly no limit, but we do not know that of FTL

Comment

Working...
                              X