Why Only 1 or 2 Gates??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Only 1 or 2 Gates??

any theories on why destiny can only dial one or two gates at a time? from what we know of the gate system, every gate in a galaxy can dial any gate in that same galaxy, so when destiny links to a gate? shouldnt it be able to dial anywhere?

1 possibility is that its like the McKay-Carter gate bridge, but that would man destiny was at the edge of the galaxy and could only link to the gate closest to the edge of that galaxy
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

I figured Destiny would only let you dial gates in its sensor range. Like it knows where gates are, but they are unlocked, if you will, once the ship can detect them directly. Theoretically they could dial other gates anyway, if they had access to the ship's systems that are currently locked out.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

but what happens if they go to a planet then? can they dial any planet in the galaxy from there?
      I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

spoilers for Justice
        Spoiler:
        can they go to the next planet that destiny allows them to gate to and from there dial the planet rush is on?

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
          spoilers for Justice
          Spoiler:
          can they go to the next planet that destiny allows them to gate to and from there dial the planet rush is on?
          No. The gates that the seeder ships deposit are of limited range, meaning they can only dial out/be dialed a limited distance. There are small groups of gates that form their own mini-networks (making the small groups that pop up as "in range" as the Destiny passes by) all across the universe, but once the ship moves on, they're inferior design makes it impossible to dial back to them.

It's a strange concept to wrap your head around if you're so used to the later models of gates that could all connect to one another, but that's how it is.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

says who? where did you learn that?
            and arent these the newest gates? milky way was the first galaxy to get gates, theres are the oldest and they have a big network

Comment

the gates used in universe, from what I've heard, are older than Milky-way gates. The Destiny is also from before the plague, which means the seeder ships are a lot older. Also the gates have a limited range which makes sense because there is only one way to dial does gates and that is which are KINO remotes which are only on the Destiny.
              http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

the ancients had many millions of years to replace the milky way network.

might i also add that the lack of a DHD means far less power is available to the Destiny gates? the Destiny gates do not only have their own dialling sytem and computer inside, but also their own powersource. Milkywaygates seem so indestructable because of the low amounts of electronics and failsafes and computeristics, and the simplicity of it's design, while Pegasus gates (even active ones) are easily destroyed by drones, probably because they aren't as robust.

Destiny gates have few failsafes (the solar flare visibly messed with the wormhole, making it unstable, while every other instance of solar flaring never made this obvious.)
                low power, and thus low range. and the low range is probably a failsafe too.

destiny has a better powersource and external dialling computers, but cant dial very far, probably because the seeded gates are of lesser quality (they serve just for easy exploration).

Comment

i agree with corey2002, where did you guys figure out that these gates cant dial each other.

If you remember from the episode "water," part of the exploration team was able to dial another planet from the "water" planet. and they didnt gate back to the destiny first.

I agree that they are older but that also proves that they are that much more resilient because they have been around for some much longer with it doesnt seem like an visible effects of degradation.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo22 View Post
                    i agree with corey2002, where did you guys figure out that these gates cant dial each other.

If you remember from the episode "water," part of the exploration team was able to dial another planet from the "water" planet. and they didnt gate back to the destiny first.

I agree that they are older but that also proves that they are that much more resilient because they have been around for some much longer with it doesnt seem like an visible effects of degradation.
                    When did they dial a second planet in "Water"?
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I think apollo meant Air 2
                      Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                        I think apollo meant Air 2
                        Ah. That planet was in the same mini-network as the desert planet, though, so it was probably only a few star systems over. From my understanding of the far-out-in-the-universe grid, they would have no problem dialing a stargate that (relatively) close by, but they could never hope to connect to one on the other side of the galaxy.

Comment

I still don't buy the mini-networks idea. Saying their power (and thus range) is simply limited makes more sense, especially without DHDs. But who's to say they don't have the power source integrated into the base of the gate? There has to be some mechanism there anyway to spin the Gate, so Universe's gates must be more than just the plain rings we are used to.

Anyway, if they are limited in range, then Destiny must only show Gates that are able to dial it instead of Gates it can dial. Say there are 75 Gates in range of the Destiny, but only 6 of them have the power to dial back. Destiny only shows those Gates, then it jumps closer to another section to be in range of others.

But to say these gates are on separate networks seems to be going too far.

Pegasus gates (even active ones) are easily destroyed by drones, probably because they aren't as robust.
                          Forgive me, I'm drawing a blank. When did drones destroy a Gate? I know we've seen Lava and Nukes waste Gates, but I can't remember drones.

Comment

It also begs the point that Stargates CANNOT be too close to each other when dialing. If Destiny is dialing when it is nearby these gates, it is not in the same system then.
                            sigpic

Comment

Taken from somewhere. Can't remember. Think Moviehole

Wright: Yes, it's not a new stargate it is in fact a very old stargate, it's the prototype.

Cooper: And a rotary dial version (laughs).

Wright: It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy stargates. For example, if the Destiny is travelling through a galaxy it can't go anywhere in that galaxy, it can only go within a limited range, that's why they put it on a ship, so as it moves through the galaxy it can move across it and explore stargates that have been seeded by other ships prior to the launch of the Destiny who knows how many hundreds of years before.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X