The Ancient Gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancient Gene

In this episode Eli mentions the ancient gene in relation to the chair. I have two questions about that:

1) Why would Eli make that connection when he is relatively new to the whole SG thing? Did they really fill him in on that much information?

2) Why would talk about the ancient gene even occur on the Destiny? The Ancients did not begin to make technology which required the ancient gene until the threat of the Wraith. Before this all their technology was usable by anyone as seen in the fact that the Goa'ould steal a lot of their tech.

I don't remember the exact sentence Eli said but he makes an inference that the chair would require the ancient gene, so unless I remember it wrong does anyone have any clue as to why that was in there?

Spoiler:
    We have to wait four months to find out what happens

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/110.shtml

i did a search on the page and i can't find the word gene at all. rush and the other scientists talk about general o'neill's experience with the devices found in the milky way galaxy
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

ChrisSThomas i think this is the part you refer to...

FRANKLIN (sighing): It's not. We've run every Ancient systems diagnostic we've got. Nothing. Rush has tried to write a new programme but it seems like this thing ... (he gestures toward the Chair) ... is designed to prevent any kind of access except through the Chair itself.

WALLACE: Which would prevent an alien species who doesn't happen to share Ancient physiology from trying to hack in, I guess.
      he doesn't refer to the ancient gene explicitly....just their physiology...which come to think about it also involves DNA and genes...

I suspect Eli probably knows about the new tech. that requires Ancient genes to work. He's been at it for long enough to have learned quite a bit so far.

Why did he mention it? well the crew can't do anything on the ship except access basic stuff. They can't control anything or even access the chair. it kind of makes sense that Eli would conclude that the Ancients would have put in some kind of safeguard on the ship to prevent tampering by aliens...seeing as how the ship is unmanned...
      Last edited by erotavlas; 05 December 2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Eli made reference to Ancient physiology, not to the gene.

I took that to mean similarities in the design of their brains, more than their genetic makeup.

Comment

The Ancients did not begin to make technology which required the ancient gene until the threat of the Wraith.
          I think the Ancient Chair and the Puddle Jumpers far predates the Wraith.

Comment

Eli was referring to the fact that the chair wasn’t designed to be hacked into, which for us would be the best way to access the information. We are not advanced enough to handle the information from the chair by directly downloading the information into our mind, so it is not safe for us to use. For an Ancient they would easily be able to use the information because they are so much more advanced than we are.

Comment

Presumably Eli would have asked why the chair was so dangerous, and Rush would have explained.

Comment

Also, in the episode the chair was originally found, they did mention the Ancient gene or referenced it. So there has already been discussions like this, in addition, seeing as how Rush prefers Eli over the others as a "assistant/second in command", then it makes sense that Rush would discuss the gene with Eli.

Also, the Ancient gene isn't restricted to Atlantis or Anti-Wraith tech.

The chair on Proculrus Tao Nash & the chair in Antarctica, were all there when Atlantis left.

It makes sense that even before the Wraith that the Ancients created numerous ways to prevent less advanced races from using their technology. Since the Ancients and most advanced races believe in a "no tech trade" rule.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the clarification everyone. It makes sense that he mentioned physiology not the "gene" because it was compatibility that everyone was concerned with. I am not sure on the timelines everyone are posting about tech that require the gene. I thought I specifically remembered that being a conversation in the early Atlantis episodes where they explain the Ancients implemented that to stop the wraith from using their tech not before. Though I suppose the technology could have existed they just didn't use in on the mass scale that they did later in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisSThomas View Post
                    In this episode Eli mentions the ancient gene in relation to the chair. I have two questions about that:

1) Why would Eli make that connection when he is relatively new to the whole SG thing? Did they really fill him in on that much information?

Also, Eli would have known about it because he sat thru all of those videos with Dr. Daniel Jackson explaining everything
                    I disgust myself sometimes.

Comment

Indeed. I was going to say the same thing about the video tapes. Although, poor Mr. Wallace did look like he was falling asleep a few times during them! Awwww.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisSThomas View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        We have to wait four months to find out what happens
                        Space comes on Jan. 1st 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                          Space comes on Jan. 1st 2010.
                          Proof?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Proof?
                            Seconded. Where did you learn this? I mean, I WANT to believe it but 4 weeks seems like so little time.

Comment

I don't see it happening. If Syfy have some sort of agreement with MGM that the rights sold to Sky wouldn't allow them to première episodes then I would assume it applies to all foreign broadcasters and their contracts. Then again, Sky might just have taken a break with Syfy out of courtesy...

Comment

Working...
                              X