Power of the Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power of the Military

Wow i was surprised at how willing the military members were reading to implant Martial Law.

I feel quite sorry for the civilians since it is the military with all the guns.

And with Greer's issues it only makes it worse.

This reminds me of BSG, since in that show there was a huge conflict between the military and civilians. At least there Martial Law was implanted for better reasons.

There was no good reason to even try to attempt Martial law imo
    ---------------------
    And with the Mental state of there Commander (Young), im scared for the crew.

While on a Planet:

Young: Im sick of your wining boy, you have been ticking me off since we got here

Civilian dude: I just don't think your a very good Commander Young, really Wray should be in charge.

Young: Why you little @#$%

*beats up civilian to unconsciousness*

later....

Scott: Where is Joe? *when he sees Young come through the gate*

Young: He fell into a crater and broke his neck, i was not able to retrieve his body in time.

-----------------

Thoughts on the power of the military?

Im sure we would be seeing more conflict between military and civilian in the show. Hope there is a mutiny

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post

later....

Young: He fell into a crater and broke his neck, i was not able to retrieve his body in time.
    Effing brilliant
    Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
      Wow i was surprised at how willing the military members were reading to implant Martial Law.

I feel quite sorry for the civilians since it is the military with all the guns.

And with Greer's issues it only makes it worse.

This reminds me of BSG, since in that show there was a huge conflict between the military and civilians. At least there Martial Law was implanted for better reasons.

There was no good reason to even try to attempt Martial law imo
      ---------------------
      And with the Mental state of there Commander (Young), im scared for the crew.

While on a Planet:

Young: Im sick of your wining boy, you have been ticking me off since we got here

Civilian dude: I just don't think your a very good Commander Young, really Wray should be in charge.

Young: Why you little @#$%

*beats up civilian to unconsciousness*

later....

-----------------

Thoughts on the power of the military?

Im sure we would be seeing more conflict between military and civilian in the show. Hope there is a mutiny
      The military personnel on the ship were going to impose Martial Law because the their commanding officer was about to lose his position without being found guilty. They didn't want to go along with the political BS.

Also, lets not turn Young into some murdering sociopath that kills people because they annoy him a little. This was obviously much bigger then that.

Comment

I believe for one that the whole situation kind of seems legit. I mean these people weren't really selected to be part of a ship's crew some billion odd light years from home and hence there is a clear apprehension especially with elements like Spencer and Greer. I dont think Greer could be anything but a Potato-peeler on a ship of exploration really

Comment

Young didn't strand Rush because he was annoyed by him, he stranded him because Rush was becoming a clear danger to the rest of the crew. His recklessness and lack of care for the lives of everyone else nearly killed Franklin.
          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
            Young didn't strand Rush because he was annoyed by him, he stranded him because Rush was becoming a clear danger to the rest of the crew. His recklessness and lack of care for the lives of everyone else nearly killed Franklin.
            How? Franklin made his own choice...no one forced him and Rush never said the chair was safe, he just said that it was less likely to be ass dangerous because it was older
            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
              How? Franklin made his own choice...no one forced him and Rush never said the chair was safe, he just said that it was less likely to be ass dangerous because it was older
              Rush manipulated everything that happened in Justice so that someone would have sat in the chair. While he didn't force Franklin to do it, he used the situation with Spencer to get Young out of the way other wise no one would have been able to sit in the chair. Not to mention how he kept telling everyone that the chair was the only way to get home.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                Rush manipulated everything that happened in Justice so that someone would have sat in the chair. While he didn't force Franklin to do it, he used the situation with Spencer to get Young out of the way other wise no one would have been able to sit in the chair. Not to mention how he kept telling everyone that the chair was the only way to get home.

Comment

How do we know it's not?

Franklin would/could have sat in that chair any time he wanted to. Young didn't have it under 24 hour guard did he? That might have been a detail I missed.

From my view, Franklin was pushed by Young to sit in the chair. He had already told TJ that he was losing hope, but that hope was restored when Rush lied about the planet. Young had to go and be an idiot and out Rush rather than view Rush's lying as a means of motivating the crew in the hopes that another way home could be found in the mean time. Franklin had grown desperate enough to risk injury if it meant finding a way home. And who can blame him seeing as he was the one that Greer shot. Doesn't exactly endear Young or the other military people to him.

As far as power of the military goes, currently the people on Destiny don't really need the military might, as there are no enemies to fight...unlike on say BSG where the military meant absolute survival. I would be against martial law on SGU at this point as the military would have no cause for it, especially given the way Young is behaving.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Rush manipulated the situation so the chair could be studied but he never ordered anyone to sit in it...Franklin even sent Eli because he knew what he was doing was risky it was HIS choice if anything all Rush is guilty of was slandering Young nothing more.
                    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Plus didn't Rush state that ALL The scientists agreed no one was to sit in the chair? That would be easy for Young to verify..

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                        Franklin would/could have sat in that chair any time he wanted to. Young didn't have it under 24 hour guard did he? That might have been a detail I missed.
                        Yes, he ordered Greer to assign a guard to the chair room right after they first discovered it in "Life".

...that hope was restored when Rush lied about the planet. Young had to go and be an idiot and out Rush rather than view Rush's lying as a means of motivating the crew in the hopes that another way home could be found in the mean time.
                        Well, Rush was an idiot not to run his idea by the mission commander in the first place. I'd also like to point out that Young didn't broadcast Rush's deception to the crew; Wray did. Young was talking with TJ about it and Camille overheard. I hate hate HATE the BSG comparisons, but Young deciding to make up a story about home and hope that something else came up along the way really would mirror Adama. I'm glad they didn't go that route. No need to add extra fuel to that fire.

Rush manipulated the situation so the chair could be studied but he never ordered anyone to sit in it...Franklin even sent Eli because he knew what he was doing was risky it was HIS choice if anything all Rush is guilty of was slandering Young nothing more.
                        The chair was being studied, but really nothing was known about it beyond it *probably* being an Ancient repository. What was in that repository though? It could've been all the Ancients' secrets and spelled out the way to unlock Destiny's systems OR it could've been billion year-old weather reports from the planets the seeder ships placed gates on. With so little information, it was foolish of Rush to get everyone's hopes up by telling them it was possibly the only way of getting home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                          Yes, he ordered Greer to assign a guard to the chair room right after they first discovered it in "Life".
                          Thanks. I wondered if that was maybe the case, but haven't paid that close attention to details.

Well, Rush was an idiot not to run his idea by the mission commander in the first place. I'd also like to point out that Young didn't broadcast Rush's deception to the crew; Wray did. Young was talking with TJ about it and Camille overheard. I hate hate HATE the BSG comparisons, but Young deciding to make up a story about home and hope that something else came up along the way really would mirror Adama. I'm glad they didn't go that route. No need to add extra fuel to that fire.
                          Thanks again. I only watch these eps once.

If that was Rush's intention, which I think it probably was because not really seeing a reason to make something like that up (other than to maybe make people a little more complacent), why bother telling Young considering the two really dislike each other. With Young's temper, he'd probably blurt out the truth the next time he got mad at Rush. As far as I'm concerned, Rush had a number of reasons not to tell Young...if that was his intention. Though he could have had some other reason(s). It did ferret out Eli as spying on Rush...or at least Rush should have deduced that.

Young is no Adama so I certainly didn't need to see that either.

The chair was being studied, but really nothing was known about it beyond it *probably* being an Ancient repository. What was in that repository though? It could've been all the Ancients' secrets and spelled out the way to unlock Destiny's systems OR it could've been billion year-old weather reports from the planets the seeder ships placed gates on. With so little information, it was foolish of Rush to get everyone's hopes up by telling them it was possibly the only way of getting home.
                          It may have been foolish, but why wouldn't the others familiar with Ancient tech not assume the same thing. Considering the chair on Atlantis was basically how it was piloted, I think it is logical to assume that the chair on Destiny is also the key to piloting the Destiny. It's not much of a leap to assume that, imo.

I know piloting Destiny and actually getting home are two different things, but at least it would give them some sense of control if they could control where the ship is going, etc. rather than being at the mercy of the ship.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Thanks. I wondered if that was maybe the case, but haven't paid that close attention to details.
                            Yep, I'm guessing the guards were pulled when Wray gave Rush permission to work in the chair room unimpeded.

If that was Rush's intention, which I think it probably was because not really seeing a reason to make something like that up (other than to maybe make people a little more complacent), why bother telling Young considering the two really dislike each other. With Young's temper, he'd probably blurt out the truth the next time he got mad at Rush. As far as I'm concerned, Rush had a number of reasons not to tell Young...if that was his intention. Though he could have had some other reason(s). It did ferret out Eli as spying on Rush...or at least Rush should have deduced that.
                            If Rush wanted to keep going with his charade, he would eventually have had to bring the mission commander into the loop. No matter how much they hate each other, going to Young and saying "look, this is going to boost morale and productivity. Happy people will work harder and get us home faster" would almost certainly be effective. Especially if Young had weighed the options by conferring with Scott and TJ, who seem more level-headed when dealing with Rush.

Interesting theory on it being a test for Eli's loyalties though. In this episode, Rush did specifically mention Eli when asking for control over his science team.

Young is no Adama so I certainly didn't need to see that either.
                            Adama made the promise to the Colonials about finding Earth without even knowing where it was or if it even existed. In a word, he was bluffing. Young going along with Rush's bluff on Universe would have just spurred on more people to cry "BSG RIPOFF!"

It may have been foolish, but why wouldn't the others familiar with Ancient tech not assume the same thing. Considering the chair on Atlantis was basically how it was piloted, I think it is logical to assume that the chair on Destiny is also the key to piloting the Destiny. It's not much of a leap to assume that, imo.

I know piloting Destiny and actually getting home are two different things, but at least it would give them some sense of control if they could control where the ship is going, etc. rather than being at the mercy of the ship.
                            In "Life" Rush says the chair is an Ancient repository, like the one that nearly killed O'Neill (and would have, if the Asgard hadn't intervened. Thus Young's worries about the chair's safety and Volker's(?) comment about there being "no little grey guys" to save them if something goes wrong.) Thus, there was the possibility that the repository chair contained the information on how to get into the Destiny's systems, but I highly doubt the chair itself would control the ship. I could be wrong, but there hasn't been any indication that the chair itself would allow one to pilot the ship. It seems many viewers are assuming it's a control chair like the ones in Atlantis and Antarctica.

Comment

I think everyones jumping on youngs back just cause they like rush more. The man tried to frame him for murder and you guys are taking his side....i would of done the same dame thing as he did. beat the piss outta him and left em for dead

Comment

Working...
                              X