Why did the ship stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did the ship stop?

I might be missing something, but why did the ship drop out of FTL and dial the planet?

Usually the ship only stops if they need something really badly, like water, power, medicine. That was consistent up until now.

But this planet had nothing except the crashed spaceship, which they didnt even get to examine. So there is only a few explanations for this:

a. Destiny just randomly drops out of FTL, also offscreen too (stupid explenation)
    b. Destiny knew Young would kick Rushs ass AND knew the Destiny needs him, so it gave him the best shot at returning back (that would mean its a full-fledged AI not just an autopilot)
    c. the ship knew about the alien ship before it dropped out of FTL (how? except if the ship is getting live telemetry data from the seeder-ships)
    d. they were supposed to figure something out with the tech from the pod for the dieing guy in the chair (but they were too dumb?)
    e. Guy in the chair made it stop? (unlikely due to time difference)

Question still stands, why did the ship drop out of FTL?
    Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
    I might be missing something, but why did the ship drop out of FTL and dial the planet?

Usually the ship only stops if they need something really badly, like water, power, medicine. That was consistent up until now.
    I think the ship has another mission than just to please the people on the Destiny. Probably, surveying and scanning seeded planets.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I was under the impression that they stop every time they are in range of a gate or gates.

Perfecto!

Comment

The Destiny didn't dial the planet, the people dialed the planet. And I think the Destiny just stops at Stargate planets for exploration as that was the original goal of the ship
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought exactally the same when it dropped out of FTL (there was no real supprise like in previous eps by the crew). Out of all your scenarios im inclined to lean towards c).

Comment

It has been established, I think, that it stops near a habitable planet with a stargate, in range.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              The Destiny didn't dial the planet, the people dialed the planet. And I think the Destiny just stops at Stargate planets for exploration as that was the original goal of the ship
              We dont know who/what dialed the gate, it is never mentioned. I dont remember, but didnt it auto-dial in Air and Time?
              Also we never see it really (my offscreen comment a.) )

We only saw the destiny drop out of FTL when the crew/ship was in mortal danger (thirst/aliens, power, air, vaccine etc).
              Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

I think they do stop off-screen, as it were. They must have got the 'potatoes' from somewhere, and we certainly didn't see that trip happen. It probably progressively stops in every system with gates.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
                  This is never mentioned though. Also we never see it really (my offscreen comment a.) )

We only saw the destiny drop out of FTL when the crew/ship was in mortal danger (thirst/aliens, power, air, vaccine etc).
                  But it has been said that the ship drops out when in range of a gate. It dialed the air planet specifically because it knew they'd find what they need. We don't know that every time they drop it it dials a planet for something they need. It could just dial randomly for exploration or like others have said let the crew choose if there is no imminent needs.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    I was under the impression that they stop every time they are in range of a gate or gates.
                    That's what I thought happens.

When on Auto-search the Destiny goes and jumps from gate to gate, scanning them and checking they work automatically, most likely having a queue of gates to check, then goes down the list picking which ever one is closest. Then if supply's are running low you can tell the ship to skip down its list to whatever planet best suits your supply needs. Maybe using some priority portrayal....

I.e. (this is just theory)
                    The Destiny has its queued list of gates it needs to check in each galaxy, which is sent to it via the Seeding Ships. The Destiny then lists each galaxies Gate network into a search patten which would maximize fuel efficiency. It then follows this search pattern in an automated series of FTL jumps around the Galaxy, checking that each of the Gates work and scanning the planets, maybe even programming and activating the Gates stellar Drift calculations (explaining why they only seem to be short range).

However the ship itself and anyone on board can set a priority option (lets say Water), which will cause the Destiny to automatically boot the next nearest water planet up towards the top of the list, then re-plots its search pattern to accommodate for the chances in course.
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                      But it has been said that the ship drops out when in range of a gate. It dialed the air planet specifically because it knew they'd find what they need. We don't know that every time they drop it it dials a planet for something they need. It could just dial randomly for exploration or like others have said let the crew choose if there is no imminent needs.
                      hmm point taken, then it was a luck-shot.
                      Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

The ship needed to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                          That's what I thought happens.

When on Auto-search the Destiny goes and jumps from gate to gate, scanning them and checking they work automatically, most likely having a queue of gates to check, then goes down the list picking which ever one is closest. Then if supply's are running low you can tell the ship to skip down its list to whatever planet best suits your supply needs. Maybe using some priority portrayal....

I.e. (this is just theory)
                          The Destiny has its queued list of gates it needs to check in each galaxy, which is sent to it via the Seeding Ships. The Destiny then lists each galaxies Gate network into a search patten which would maximize fuel efficiency. It then follows this search pattern in an automated series of FTL jumps around the Galaxy, checking that each of the Gates work and scanning the planets, maybe even programming and activating the Gates stellar Drift calculations (explaining why they only seem to be short range).

However the ship itself and anyone on board can set a priority option (lets say Water), which will cause the Destiny to automatically boot the next nearest water planet up towards the top of the list, then re-plots its search pattern to accommodate for the chances in course.
                          good explanation, ill take that. Rush even said he told the ship what they needed in Air2.

Doesnt explain Time though, since they didnt know they are sick.

there, problem solved for this episode.
                          Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Rush said, that they were on a dozen of planets before. So I think they told the ship what they wanted (food, water) and Destiny used informations from seeder ships to make stops. There were plants on the planet, but not near the gate. Or it was caused by "Air III Pod" alien race. This wrecked ship has some similarities with that pod and even if it wasn´t the same ship, they would be build by the same rece. And we don´t know, what did they do with the Destiny in Air III. They could set the course to this planet. Why? Maybe they can´t use the gate and need some help from us. I predict, there are still these wrecked aliens on Rush´s planet.

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                              The ship needed to go to the bathroom.
                              So thats why the Universe is so salty....oh wait, wrong joke.
                              Later, AdamTM

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Working...
                              X