What's this show like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this show like.

I am thinking about giving this show a go. I have watch Stargate for as long as i can remember, done BSG tried Farscape and didnt like it, loved firefly. So what is B5 like is it worth getting into?

Any infor would be great.

Thanks RL
    sigpic

A little rough in season 1, great in season 2, epic in seasons 3 and 4, and a little lackluster for most of season 5.

Now, go re-try Farscape. It's awesome
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It is the best written Science Fiction franchise, bar none, epic characters, moments, and events

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
        It is the best written Science Fiction franchise, bar none, epic characters, moments, and events
        Copy that! It's like reading an excellent book. Your perspective on it changes as you change as a person. Watching it all a year from now will be a difference experience emotionally than watching it earlier in your life. And most importantly, each new re-watch of the series brings about more interesting details and perspectives that weren't necessarily seen before!
        sigpic

Comment

Definitely worth watching if you like epic series with great story and character arcs that really reward the faithful viewer.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            Copy that! It's like reading an excellent book. Your perspective on it changes as you change as a person. Watching it all a year from now will be a difference experience emotionally than watching it earlier in your life. And most importantly, each new re-watch of the series brings about more interesting details and perspectives that weren't necessarily seen before!
            Yep...but that is the same with most things.

Comment

The show is great. First season pretty much introduces the characters and once that is done, season 2 - 4 are pure dynamite. Though, there are very good episodes on season 1 as well, so I definitely recommend watching it through.

Comment

Yeah, absolutely. The first season's really rewarding if you watch the show more than once, because you notice lots of hints of things to come in throwaway lines that don't mean much the first time you hear them.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockerlad View Post
                  I am thinking about giving this show a go. I have watch Stargate for as long as i can remember, done BSG tried Farscape and didnt like it, loved firefly. So what is B5 like is it worth getting into?

Any infor would be great.

Thanks RL
                  B5 is, in a word, spectacular. Like any series, it has its weak moments. Season 5 was a bit of a waste, some of the acting may leave you with splinters - or conversely, the unmistakeable odour of ham - but the dialogue is fantastic, it has a great sense of humour, a phenomenally detailed plot with rich backstory, and a sense of awe and wonder (and yet, again conversely, quite a grounded, down-to-earth sense of life in the future) that many series lack.

It has a nice mix of action, aliens, wonder, humour, intelligence, depth, romance...little bit of everything.

Don't judge whether you like it or not by season 1. A lot of people have probably been put off by elements of season 1, which is a shame as the show really hits its stride in season 2 - but season 1 is essential viewing. B5 is not really a show you can drop in and view, everything is so interconnected that you need to watch the whole thing in order, from start to finish.

To paraphrase Comic Book Guy: Best. Show. Ever.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Yeah, absolutely. The first season's really rewarding if you watch the show more than once, because you notice lots of hints of things to come in throwaway lines that don't mean much the first time you hear them.
                    The episode "Signs and Portents" really gets the party started, so to speak. Definitely must see episode from the first season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
                      The episode "Signs and Portents" really gets the party started, so to speak. Definitely must see episode from the first season.
                      "Signs and Portents" was definitely one of those WHAM-type episodes that were called as such in the latter seasons. That one episode set in motion a large number of arcs that would have consequences all the way to season 5 and beyond.
                      sigpic

Comment

I started watching B5 just before my freshman year in HS. I watched every episode until just after graduation. Hell, I even shed a tear in the final episode. By season 2 you could tell that the writers and staff did not just toss the show together. Unlike some shows that go the distance for special effects, and a crappy plot, this show had it all. Good quality effects, a cast that complimented each others personal qualities, deep plot and story lines, coupled with good back stories and sub-plots. The show never left you wondering any what-if's, I felt satisfied for what it offered. I never felt the need to dwell on any holes in the episode I just watched, I just wanted to watch the next one. I tried BSG and it got a lil too prophetic for me, Farscape seemed too bizarre. SG1 and SGA offered similar satisfaction that B5 did. I am hoping that SGA can offer a similar value as well.

Comment

I first watched B5 about two years ago, got the pilot, fell asleep halfway thought it, it was so painfull to watch. I stopped right in the middle.
                          Gave it another try a few week later and stopped at episode 3, i hated this boring show. Gave it yet another try in June, was still bored in the first few episodes and then came episode 6 which really got me on the show. As G'kar said it in the episode "No-one here is exactly what he appears." . Well, the show is not what it appear at first.
                          I then watched the whole saga in 4 weeks.
                          A few months later :

This is the only complete show i own and it deserves it, it is the best written fiction (novels/comics/tv shows / movies) i have read in my life.

The greatest part is that since everything was written (or pitched) by JMS, the comics/novels really feel like extra episodes the show could not do because it would require too complex cgi.

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                            I first watched B5 about two years ago, got the pilot, fell asleep halfway thought it, it was so painfull to watch. I stopped right in the middle.
                            Gave it another try a few week later and stopped at episode 3, i hated this boring show. Gave it yet another try in June, was still bored in the first few episodes and then came episode 6 which really got me on the show. As G'kar said it in the episode "No-one here is exactly what he appears." . Well, the show is not what it appear at first.
                            I then watched the whole saga in 4 weeks.
                            A few months later :

This is the only complete show i own and it deserves it, it is the best written fiction (novels/comics/tv shows / movies) i have read in my life.

The greatest part is that since everything was written (or pitched) by JMS, the comics/novels really feel like extra episodes the show could not do because it would require too complex cgi.
                            I'm glad that you gave the show a chance. I admit that when I first saw "The Gathering" when it aired back in the 90s, I didn't have much of a liking for B5. That greatly changed though, especially when Sheridan was brought aboard in season 2. Since then, B5 has easily become my favorite sci-fi show with DS9 being a very close second.
                            sigpic

Comment

It isn't everyone's cup of tea though. I watched all 5 seasons through my local library and will never watch it again. I love all the other shows you listed in the first post. I personally know other sci-fi fans who just didn't like B5.

My issues are some of the acting is just too horrible for me to get through. I didn't like most of the humans for some reason though that had to do with some of the bad acting. The storylines though were great. I guess it's just the performance I had problems with. If only in written form I'd probably love it to pieces.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X