This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Discontinuity

I don't *think* I've seen a thread about this on here. So I'll tentatively post it at the risk of being told it's been discussed already.

The Destiny gate is the same (Approximate) age and design as the Universe gates, or so it seems. But the universe gates have a VERY limited range, and people are talking about trying to use it to dial earth from the ship. Surely that wouldn't be viable? If the universe gates can't even connect intra-galactically, why do they assume the destiny one has anything like the power or sophistication to re-dial earth all that way away?

Also, what's with the 'vents' that blow out on the sides of the gate when it shuts down? Never seen such a primitive form of energy dissipation from a piece of ancient technology. Surely the energy would at the VERY least be vented outside the ship rather than inside where it could injure someone?

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
    The Destiny gate is the same (Approximate) age and design as the Universe gates, or so it seems. But the universe gates have a VERY limited range, and people are talking about trying to use it to dial earth from the ship. Surely that wouldn't be viable? If the universe gates can't even connect intra-galactically, why do they assume the destiny one has anything like the power or sophistication to re-dial earth all that way away?
    That's an interesting thought, which I hadn't considered.

Perhaps because the seeded gates are limited by their "battery" power while the Destiny gate is powered by the ship itself gives it the extra kick it needs to dial longer distances? I'm not really sure, it's a nice catch.

Also, what's with the 'vents' that blow out on the sides of the gate when it shuts down? Never seen such a primitive form of energy dissipation from a piece of ancient technology. Surely the energy would at the VERY least be vented outside the ship rather than inside where it could injure someone?
    It is supposed to be more primitive

You're right though, it does seem like a significant safety hazard--couldn't they have had it blast the exhaust DOWN into ventilation ducts rather than up? And as long as we're on this, why does the Destiny gate have to bleed off exhaust and the gates on planets don't?

Interesting thoughts.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't *think* I've seen a thread about this on here. So I'll tentatively post it at the risk of being told it's been discussed already.

We actually don't know what the range of the gates are, just that Destiny only displays a few addresses when it drops out. As for the vents, my first impression was that it was some sort of anti-contaminant spray, but I suppose we won't know until the technology is expanded upon in the show.

Comment

The other option is the co2 vents were put in place because the reason the range is limited is due to overheating. So the Destiny's gate was modified on the base models to allow for longer range, but the side effect is since it gets hotter, it needs extra cooling.

Comment

Very interesting questions. I get the feeling that given the current focus of the show on character interaction, I don't think we'll be seeing any in-depth exploration of these issues anytime soon. Actually, I'd be surprised if TPTB even go into any kind of detail about these kinds of issues.
          sigpic

Comment

I suspect Destiny's gate can (in theory) dial back to MW, Pegasus, etc purely because the Lantean visitors would surely have wanted to get back home.
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

I'd always assumed it was a power issue that limited the gates on the planets. They don't have a large enough power supply to dial very far. The gate in the ship has more power, so it could dial further if it had the power to do so. The gate on Destiny might also be newer than the gates on the planet. The seeder ships were probably built centuries or millennium before Destiny was.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                I'd always assumed it was a power issue that limited the gates on the planets. They don't have a large enough power supply to dial very far. The gate in the ship has more power, so it could dial further if it had the power to do so. The gate on Destiny might also be newer than the gates on the planet. The seeder ships were probably built centuries or millennium before Destiny was.
                True I had assumed that the range limitation of the seeded stargates was due to the lack of an off world DHD, so without a DHD to power the off world gates the range was limited, I think Carter explained in one of the Aschen episodes (2001 I think) that the maximum range a gate without a DHD can accurately lock onto another gate 300 light years, (although that applies to compensating for stellar drift and refers to MW gates so not sure if the same is true for universe gates).

Given enough power any gate is capable of dialling anywhere, for example a MW gate with a DHD is capable of dialling any other gate in the MW (100,000 light-years), with the extra power boost from a ZPM it can dial intergalictically to Pegasus, and with the power of a planet with a Naquahdriah core it can dial billions of light years to the Destiny, so given enough power there is no reason to assume Destiny’s stargate is not capable of dialling back to Earth, the problem is that attempting to do so while in a sun leads to catastrophic shield failure and the ship being destroyed.
                "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                "That he is concealing something."
                "Like what?"
                "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                "I liked that movie!"

Comment

we were told they are all capabl eof dialling very far but the power issue is whats the problem, the gates power sources are not capable of dialling so far

Comment

Yeah, I think its simply a power issue, with the lack of a dhd. I think the 'vents' are merely the result of the age of the ship (correct me if I'm wrong, but the offworld gates don't seem to have that problem). I think Rush mentioned in "Earth" that the power conduits couldn't handle that much energy passing through them.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Perhaps because the seeded gates are limited by their "battery" power while the Destiny gate is powered by the ship itself gives it the extra kick it needs to dial longer distances? I'm not really sure, it's a nice catch.
                      Great job explaining this one Control Chair.

You're right though, it does seem like a significant safety hazard--couldn't they have had it blast the exhaust DOWN into ventilation ducts rather than up? And as long as we're on this, why does the Destiny gate have to bleed off exhaust and the gates on planets don't?
                      It's not "exhaust from the gate" but rather CO2 which may be used with some form of cooling system. The mechanical components which turn the gate on Destiny are likely to be used far more often. As such cooling helps to ensure longer life-span of the "gears and such".

We actually don't know what the range of the gates are, just that Destiny only displays a few addresses when it drops out. As for the vents, my first impression was that it was some sort of anti-contaminant spray, but I suppose we won't know until the technology is expanded upon in the show.
                      Actually we do if you check official extended materials (ie pre-production notes, blogs, webisodes, etc.) The sources state it's a blast of CO2.

The other option is the co2 vents were put in place because the reason the range is limited is due to overheating. So the Destiny's gate was modified on the base models to allow for longer range, but the side effect is since it gets hotter, it needs extra cooling.
                      The effect is used everytime the gate aboard Destiny deactivates. It was seen in the pilot episodes. After 38 minutes the gate deactivated and they immediately dialed it up again. The effect was seen quite often.
                      How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post

Thanks

Perhaps the range limit is not due to the Destiny being unable to dial every seeded gate within the galaxy (if it can dial back to Earth is should be able to do so) maybe it is because Destiny computer/AI knows that beyond a certain range people will be unable to dial back to the ship because of power issues on off world gates or unable to compensate for stellar drift without a DHD.

P.S. I agree that the venting of CO2 is some sort of cooling system for the gate motor but you’d think the Ancients would put some warning signs up.

DANGER, HOT GAS VENTING! etc
                        "Like what?"

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                        "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
                          Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                          Thanks

Indeed. Particularly considering I was the one who wrote that
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Indeed. Particularly considering I was the one who wrote that
                            Oops, sorry DigiFluid. I saw someone complimenting me and it went to my head.
                            "Like what?"

"I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                              Thanks

P.S. I agree that the venting of CO2 is some sort of cooling system for the gate motor but you’d think the Ancients would put some warning signs up.

DANGER, HOT GAS VENTING! etc
                              CO2 turns to a gaseous state at relatively low temps.
                              How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Working...
                              X