X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBC Hopes for Recovery After Early Losses

From Reuters Entertainment (via Yahoo News):

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...on_gaspin_dc_1

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Entertainment - Reuters TV
    INTERVIEW: NBC Hopes for Recovery After Early Losses
    By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Jeff Gaspin wears a lot of hats at NBC Universal.

As president of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Cross-Platform Strategy, Gaspin oversees NBC Universal's entertainment cable networks as well as all alternative and longform programing for NBC.

He has spent most of the past year looking to bolster the newly enlarged NBC Universal cable group through aggressive cross promotion among NBC, Bravo, USA Network and Sci Fi Channel while also helping to forge a new distribution strategy for Trio.

Gaspin recently discussed the health of the company's broadcast and cable assets, the ever-changing nature of reality programing, and the progress of the NBC-Universal merger,

**snippity doo-dah**

THR: HOW HAS THE INTEGRATION PROCESS BETWEEN NBC AND UNIVERSAL GONE?

Gaspin: I think the process has gone very well as a result of eight months of preparation. This is not the first merger in (parent company) General Electric's history; they've really honed down their integration skills. Even when we didn't know if this merger was going to be official or not, we just plowed through. We got to know each other, and I think that had a huge benefit. We didn't have to meet people for the first time when the divisions joined forces. Personalities are some of the biggest holdbacks in the first year of a merger, just getting to know people. Much of that was erased in the due diligence process. It's been much smoother than I would have ever imagined.

THR: HOW HAS THE MERGER HELPED IN TERMS OF CROSS PROMOTING ALL THE TELEVISION PROPERTIES?

Gaspin: I think that's where this merger shines. From Day 1, we put together a cross-platform promotion team and a cross-platform strategy team. You just have to look at the summer after the merger happened. Within months, we were promoting USA's "The 4400" and making that a hit series. "Monk," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Stargate SG-1" all saw record ratings. I don't think it's a coincidence that our cross-promotion team was working on that. The ability to cross promote with all your platforms is of tremendous value. We put out a calendar that put out priorities for the year for each of the different divisions, and they have carried through on that promise since the beginning.

**snippity doo-dah**

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

If you ask me, the real problem with NBC Universal is NBC itself. While Scifi, Bravo, and probably USA are doing well, most if not all of NBC's new program offerings are not doing so great...Hawaii cancelled, the Pride Lion whatever show cancelled, and Joey doing average but by far not Friends...
    sigpic

Comment

What are they going to do "cross advertising" on? All the shows they have now are ****. CBS is number one for a reason, they have gotten rid of a lot of "reality" TV and went back to good old dramas and bad sitcoms, but it's still better than the **** NBC shows.

The only show I was looking forward to on NBC was the next Law and Order Spinoff which was going to have the guy (Jerry Orbach) that was on the orinigal for 12 seasons. Then this morning I got the terrible news that he died. He was the only reason why I watched Law and Order, he was great. The team was great.
      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

^^^
        The cross-advertising is often to show Bravo episodes and Bravo/USA/Scifi commercials on each other's networks...for instance Bravo ads are appearing on Scifi.com, and Atlantis commercials on USA, etc.
        sigpic

Comment

Does this mean that NBC will be getting Stargate and Atlantis?
          sigpic
          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
            Does this mean that NBC will be getting Stargate and Atlantis?

Well...NBC has already shown episodes of "Scare Tactics" and "Ghost Hunters" (SciFi Channel programming) on Halloween, and will be repeat the Battlestar Galactica mini-series next weekend.

Can Stargate be far behind?

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
              Well...NBC has already shown episodes of "Scare Tactics" and "Ghost Hunters" (SciFi Channel programming) on Halloween, and will be repeat the Battlestar Galactica mini-series next weekend.

Can Stargate be far behind?
              Woohoo!
              sigpic
              In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Stargate is scoring kick-ass ratings, so it is possible (IMHO), but since they haven't yet, could certain syndication deals get in the way?
                Rocky

Comment

I hope NBC puts Stargate on, I'm loosing my cable right went Stargate starts up again.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    Stargate is scoring kick-ass ratings, so it is possible (IMHO), but since they haven't yet, could certain syndication deals get in the way?

Well...they could do something called "repurposing," which is what USA does with "Monk" on ABC.

Syndication for Stargate is locked for Season Seven.

So SciFi Channel, could I suppose, "repurpose" some season eight episodes of SG1 to NBC -- air them from one week or later on NBC after they air on SciFi Channel.

SciFi is currently doing that with "Andromeda" -- NEW season five episodes air first on SciFi, and then air a week later in syndication.

MOrjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Interesting stuff. Thanks Morjana.
                      Rocky

Comment

But shouldn't they show some important episodes on NBC too? Like the first, then show season eight after that.

Of course none of this will happen because all the three letter networks seem to hate/destroy Sci-Fi shows.

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                          But shouldn't they show some important episodes on NBC too? Like the first, then show season eight after that.

Of course none of this will happen because all the three letter networks seem to hate/destroy Sci-Fi shows.
                          Yes, but NBC's programming is hurting...it needs a kick in the pants.

And Jack can do that.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Stargate saved Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi killed Stargate.

So Stargate can save NBC, and NBC can put the gravestone on Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                              Stargate saved Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi killed Stargate.

So Stargate can save NBC, and NBC can put the gravestone on Stargate.

Well, aren't you just a really gloomy gus!

Exactly HOW has SciFi killed Stargate?

Supposedly Stargate "died" when Showtime cancelled it after the fifth season.

And let's see...season NINE is expected next July.

Nine is more than five...doesn't sound "killed" to me.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X