This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief update "Evolution" of SG-1

Hey there. I used to watch SG-1 when it was in repeats on our local channels back when I was in high school.

I pretty much watched every episode of seasons 1 - 3 for sure. From there I went into the Marines and well have probably seen 6 episodes total from 4-10. Have only seen 3 episodes of SGA and can't stand it... not sure why.. but I at least now know it's called that because its a separate galaxy and dialed by the 8th Chevron.

To the point... I recently caught up on all the episodes of SGU and love it. But I would like to find out certain things such as; the communication stones... The Ancients, Prometheus, when Jack became a General, what happened to the Gould, etc...

I have the ability to get all the seasons but not the ability to watch them all. What would be your opinion(s) of the best seasons to watch and get caught up on. I tried to answer my own questions and know that the replicators were defeated as well as the Gould'.

I just got Seasons 9 and 10 but what other "critical" seasons would you guys recommend. OR... which ones can I skip?

Thanks for the assistance and look forward to the discussion!

Thats rather unfortunate for you. Seasons 4-8 are much better than 9-10 IMO. All of the seasons 1-8 are on hulu if that helps. I dunno, I would just say watch 4-8 and forget about the rest but its up to you.

On an unrelated note, we seem to be getting more and more of you dirty jarheads mucking around our nice Air Force forum!
    sigpic
    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by JonesersRX7 View Post
      Hey there. I used to watch SG-1 when it was in repeats on our local channels back when I was in high school.

I pretty much watched every episode of seasons 1 - 3 for sure. From there I went into the Marines and well have probably seen 6 episodes total from 4-10. Have only seen 3 episodes of SGA and can't stand it... not sure why.. but I at least now know it's called that because its a separate galaxy and dialed by the 8th Chevron.

To the point... I recently caught up on all the episodes of SGU and love it. But I would like to find out certain things such as; the communication stones... The Ancients, Prometheus, when Jack became a General, what happened to the Gould, etc...

I have the ability to get all the seasons but not the ability to watch them all. What would be your opinion(s) of the best seasons to watch and get caught up on. I tried to answer my own questions and know that the replicators were defeated as well as the Gould'.

I just got Seasons 9 and 10 but what other "critical" seasons would you guys recommend. OR... which ones can I skip?

Thanks for the assistance and look forward to the discussion!
      That is not an easy question to answer. Every season has critical stuff that is important for later seasons.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
        Thats rather unfortunate for you. Seasons 4-8 are much better than 9-10 IMO. All of the seasons 1-8 are on hulu if that helps. I dunno, I would just say watch 4-8 and forget about the rest but its up to you.

On an unrelated note, we seem to be getting more and more of you dirty jarheads mucking around our nice Air Force forum!
        I agree with this. I skipped most of seasons 9& 10 and the Ark of Truth and haven't missed all that much (in my opinion), had no trouble moving right into SGU.

I just didn't like the last two seasons of SG-1, and honestly, they're like a detour you don't have to take if you just want to stay on the main highway. Avalon updates the characters a bit, though. That might be worth it.
        Last edited by VSS; 24 November 2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          I agree with this. I skipped most of seasons 9& 10 and the Ark of Truth and haven't missed all that much (in my opinion), had no trouble moving right into SGU.

I just didn't like the last two seasons of SG-1, and honestly, they're like a detour you don't have to take if you just want to stay on the main highway. Avalon updates the characters a bit, though. That might be worth it.
          Thanks for the replies and thanks to the mod who moved it this thread to the SG-1 subforum. Its where I started the thread but it got placed in General..

anyways.

What are Ark of Truth and Avalon?

Think I will just take my time and start off with S4 and enjoy them. Its not that I dont understand SGU - I just wanted more of the background on when all these things came about in SG-1.

From my readings it seems like S4-8 is where all the good stuff was learned and the plot developed, characters where sketched out and developed more. I actually remember seeing one episode where they were on the a ship and the replicators where attacking, er... maybe it was at SGC. But thats all I know of them.

Thanks for the opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post

Just because you don't like 9 and 10 doesn't mean there wasn't a lot happening... those seasons drastically changed the balance of power in the galaxy.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Seasons 4 - 8 will answer most of your questions including:
              - The Goa'uld
              - The Replicators
              - Jack becoming general
              - The Prometheus
              - The Ancients

and a lot of other things. But I would recommend watching seasons 9 and 10 after as well. Its all a matter of opinion and you might enjoy them whereas others may not. Also these 2 seasons focus on a different enemy and the change of power in the galaxy.

Ark of Truth is a dvd movie released to conclude season 10 of SG-1, as the story wasn't properly wrapped up since the show was canceled.

There is also Continuum, which is another dvd movie.
              Spoiler:
              It focuses on the Ba'al storyline, but you will have to watch seasons 4 - 10 for it to make more sense, since you need to know who Ba'al is.
              sigpic

Comment

Don't believe the naysayers, Season 9 and 10 are solid seasons IMO. Might not be to everyones taste but they're well worth watching, especially if you want to watch Ark of Truth. I think in the end it's all down to the individual, but then you have plenty of time to decide if you begin with S4...

Comment

Yeah, sorry (not really ) to break it to you, but you're going to have to watch the whole thing. There were only a few episodes throughout that didn't contain information vital to the series IMO. Character development is included in this.

Don't rush through it. Just watch them one by one when you get the time to do so. Really, every episode contributes something, whether is be an important plot device, or an unintentional joke that continues running throughout the whole series (sex organs, inside instead of outside, etc. Oh come on, you know that's a vital part to the series ).

You'll be glad you took the time. I guarantee it!

EDIT: How does that look ANYTHING like Zelenka?^

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by JonesersRX7 View Post

I would never recommend skipping any episodes. To answer one of your questions, the communication stones were first used by Daniel and Vala in "Avalon Part 2, season 9, when they exchanged consciousness with two individuals in the Ori galaxy.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Yeah take AVFan's advice and don't rush it! I did (Season 7-10) and wish I had taken it a bit slower - however I still enjoyed the heck out of it while doing it, now I'm starting over again

Yes, Season 1 starts a bit slow but there's plenty of character development and new characters revealed. You don't however want to miss episode 1 of Season 1, great stuff.

Comment

Or you could just watch the 'critical' episodes of seasons 4-10 - there are a couple of arcs that can be skipped without missing much.

Anyway, here are the eps I'd recommend on watching to quickly get up-to-date or because of the quality of the eps:

season4: Small Victories (401), Crossroads (404), Window of Opportunity (406), Watergate (407), The Curse (413), The Serpents Venom (414), Double Jeopardy (421), Exodus (422)

season 5: Enemies (501), Treshold (502), Ascension (503), The Fifth Man (504), Between Two Fires (509), 48 Hours (514), Summit (515), Last Stand (516), Menace (519), Meridian (521), Revelations (522)

season 6: eps 1-4, 6, 10-12, 22

season 7: eps 1,2,11-13,15-18,20-22

season 8: eps 1-4,11,12,15-18

season 9: eps 1-3, if you're still interested in the new feel of the show, pretty much all the eps after that.

Seasons 9 and 10 also introduce the Lucian Alliance, they're showing up in SGU as well, so you might want to know who they are by watching episodes 8x12, 9x04, 9x16, 9x20, 10x01, 10x09, 10x15
                        Mia: Don't you hate that?
                        Vincent: Hate what?
                        Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                        Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                        Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                        - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Everyone is going to have their opinions on what to watch, what is better, etc. Your best bet is to watch them all and form your own opinion.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Thanks TBA for your post. Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.

However... now that I have completed Season 9 and 2 episodes of 10...

I finished Season 4 last night and will watch a couple from Season 5 tonight. I must say I am enjoying it just as much and am thankful I am watching them all again.

To my surprise I had actually seen 3-4 episodes from season 4.

Looking forward to seeing how Teal'c escapes from Apothus tonight.

Thanks again all.

Comment

No problem.

Are you going to watch them all eventually, or just the ones I put on my list?
                              Mia: Don't you hate that?
                              Vincent: Hate what?
                              Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                              Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                              Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                              - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Working...
                              X