PDA

View Full Version : Where did they get the clothes, and why train?

I-Like-Pie
November 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
OK first where the hell did they get those clothes from that they are running around and jumping around in, and where did they get those sneakers.

Like did they pull out shorts and T-shirts from their behinds or what?

And how are they going to wash all that?

More importantly why the hell are they training when there is a shortage of food.

Anyone who knows anything about training knows that if you cant eat properly then the training will damage your body.

Girlbot
November 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
OK first where the hell did they get those clothes from that they are running around and jumping around in, and where did they get those sneakers.

More importantly why the hell are they training when there is a shortage of food.

Anyone who knows anything about training knows that if you cant eat properly then the training will damage your body.
If they have sheets as was so eloquently shown with Chloe and Scott :eek:, then they have cloth, and probably found other supplies. If they have showers, then steam cleaning clothes and sheets (:eek:) wouldn't be a problem. Lord knows the sheets need cleaning by now.

Cory Holmes
November 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Why train now? 'Cuz it's always good to get in running practice on the ship before you have to run for your life while on a shore party :)

Arwis
November 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Why train now? 'Cuz it's always good to get in running practice on the ship before you have to run for your life while on a shore party :)

At least for me gym or work out in general helps to reduce stress instantly.

Jeffala
November 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
People who are healthy don't need medicine (that they don't have).

I-Like-Pie
November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
If they have sheets as was so eloquently shown with Chloe and Scott :eek:, then they have cloth, and probably found other supplies. If they have showers, then steam cleaning clothes and sheets (:eek:) wouldn't be a problem. Lord knows the sheets need cleaning by now.

Yes they found clothing that looks exactly like today's clothing on earth, sneakers and all, yupp the clothes left behind some hundred thousand years ago just happen to look exactly like today's clothes

At least for me gym or work out in general helps to reduce stress instantly..

[snip] training without proper or any food is just damaging to the body, [snip]

IF there is no food or a food shortage any training will damage you. You need to move as little as possible to save as much food as possible.

Girlbot
November 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yes they found clothing that looks exactly like today's clothing on earth, sneakers and all, yupp the clothes left behind some hundred thousand years ago just happen to look exactly like today's clothes
I said they had cloth (sheets), so there is a possibility that they had other things. I didn't say anything about sneakers. You projected that. :P

kaliel
November 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think it's meant to show the 'after' of Young's big speech about being strong and disciplined.

Beyond that, the entire things just a touch shaky. Just a touch. Yeah.

Lightning Ducj
November 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Agreed, I couldn't figure out why they all had the same workout clothes on

Although I have a hunch involving LRC stones :)

But they don't seem to be short on food, just short on tasty food

Lightning Ducj
November 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Although I have a hunch involving LRC stones :)

Here's my thought...get a bunch of work out buffs (up to 5) and LRC them to the ship so *they* can work out the bodies...I mean they like it and are *good* at it so let them have the bodies for physical training for an hour a day.

creed462
November 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
They have to be ready for anything, being in shape is only logical. Second they seem to have enough rations. They also have been gathering food when they stop on planets.

justanotherjen
November 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
I thought the same thing about the clothes. I was cracking up that suddenly everyone had work out clothes...except Eli who was still in his red shirt and hoodie. I just assumed one of the crates they grabbed had a perfect amount of shorts and t-shirts for all on board, lol. I thought it was pretty funny.
As for the working out. Made sense to me. Keeps them in shape and gives them something to do. I wouldn't go overboard with it but some warm ups and a quick jog around the ship sounds like a good daily routine (and that's coming from someone that avoids exercise).

MIZA
November 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
:rolleyes:

how did they wash the clothes too , hmm

Girlbot
November 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
:rolleyes:

how did they wash the clothes too , hmm
Steam clean in the showers. :P

Girlbot
November 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Here's my thought...get a bunch of work out buffs (up to 5) and LRC them to the ship so *they* can work out the bodies...I mean they like it and are *good* at it so let them have the bodies for physical training for an hour a day.
Excellent idea, at least until the bodies are in shape. The real buffs could handle the pain.:P

PG15
November 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
It's to keep their minds off how crappy their situation is.

antcave
November 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
IF there is no food or a food shortage any training will damage you. You need to move as little as possible to save as much food as possible.

that seems counter productive. this must be why americans are so fat . . .a shortage of food so we must conserve energy lol. If we use that logic everyone should just stay in bed all day and not explore the ship.

It was explained pretty well and seemed rather obvious to me why Young would want people in shape. Just think back to how much time they wasted dealing with Rush being out of shape in the on desert planet.

I'll also second the notion that people that are in shape get sick less than out of shape people.

s09119
November 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
that seems counter productive. this must be why americans are so fat . . .a shortage of food so we must conserve energy lol. If we use that logic everyone should just stay in bed all day and not explore the ship.

It was explained pretty well and seemed rather obvious to me why Young would want people in shape. Just think back to how much time they wasted dealing with Rush being out of shape in the on desert planet.

I'll also second the notion that people that are in shape get sick less than out of shape people.

As a very much in-shape American, this stereotype that we are all fat continues to offend me... and I've met some very overweight Europeans, particular of the English/French/Italian variety...

In any event, it makes perfect sense; healthy people get sick less (they have little medicine), fit people can perform better offworld (can outrun nasty alien monsters), and should the ship ever fall under attack, these people need to know how to fight and stay on their feet long enough to do some good.

Codemann17
November 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM

That would be so awesome if I could do that in real life!

Jeffala
November 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM
That would be so awesome if I could do that in real life!

But then they'd get to leave and when you came back, you'd be all sore.

I-Like-Pie
November 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM

You cant get fat if their is no food, and yes their is a shortage, in one episode Young wants to reward Rush with double rations and there is a small verbal fight.

You seem to have missed that part, and the part that there is no food on the ship.

And no you should not stay in bed all day, you should just move as much is needed and not over do it.

And again this is not the states there are no McDonalds every 3 steps.

Training without any food or very limited food will make you sick, it will damage you, you will suffer permanent damage.

But I of course have the answers to my own questions

Where did they get the Clothes, and sneakers --- It is a TV Show

Why train even though training without proper food and in quantity damages you --- It is a TV Show

Where are they going to wash all those clothes ---- It is a TV Show

prion
November 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Why train even though training without proper food and in quantity damages you --- It is a TV Show

So much for a more realistic show.....

Ukko
November 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
You cant get fat if their is no food, and yes their is a shortage, in one episode Young wants to reward Rush with double rations and there is a small verbal fight.

You seem to have missed that part, and the part that there is no food on the ship.

And no you should not stay in bed all day, you should just move as much is needed and not over do it.

Training without any food or very limited food will make you sick, it will damage you, you will suffer permanent damage.

They could have gathered food from that jungle planet where thay caught the snake thing.

As for the clothes. They were planning on sending a team to the 9 chevron address anyway. I is possible that in one of the crates they grabbed while escaping Icarus, that one of them could of contained clothes.

I-Like-Pie
November 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM
They could have gathered food from that jungle planet where thay caught the snake thing.

As for the clothes. They were planning on sending a team to the 9 chevron address anyway. I is possible that in one of the crates they grabbed while escaping Icarus, that one of them could of contained clothes.

Yes this has been written a million times and answered a million times

Yupp they just happen to take with them clothes and sneakers that fit perfectly because everyone know that those things are always kept close to the gate and are a priority.

It is like you didn't even watch the show, they were evacuating to earth when Rush suddenly decided to dial then ninth chevron.

And you are not going to get fat from jungle food, you are also not going to get enough food to be able to train at all, just maintaining your minimum amount of intake will be extremely hard.

But I have answered my own questions, it is a TV show

Ukko
November 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Yupp they just happen to take with them clothes and sneakers that fit perfectly because everyone know that those things are always kept close to the gate and are a priority.

It is like you didn't even watch the show, they were evacuating to earth when Rush suddenly decided to dial then ninth chevron.

And you are not going to get fat from jungle food, you are also not going to get enough food to be able to train at all, just maintaining your minimum amount of intake will be extremely hard.

They were planning an off world mission and didnt know how long they would be there for without being able to get back home. So yes. Clothes would be a priority.

You must be phsycic knowing weather or not i wach the show.
YOUNG (to Scott): "Make sure everyone carries as much of the expedition supplies as they can." They were told to bring the expedition supplies. Wich would've included clothes.

I never said they brought back a load of food. I just said the could've gotten something from the jungle planet.

And if you knew the answers to your own questions. What was the point of this thread?

Jeffala
November 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
If they only got one shot at dialing the gate when they thought they figured it out, then yes, they would keep the mission supplies in the gateroom close at hand.

s09119
November 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM

...and again, there aren't McDonald's every 3 steps in the United States.

Ukko
November 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
...and again, there aren't McDonald's every 3 steps in the United States.

Then McDonalds isnt trying hard enough:p

Couldnt resist:D:p

PG15
November 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Considering that they brought a crate of plain paper with them, I think it's perhaps possible that they also managed to bring some clothes with them.

Also, their shirts; they don't have to fit that snugly.

IMHO, the instance in Time of them gathering food is just one among many.

As for washing the clothes - same way they wash themselves, I'd hazard a guess (if they don't want to waste water).

Count
November 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
They're training because Young made it clear that everyone had to pull their weight on the ship, literally. So they can't have people falling down and collapsing after walking a few miles carrying backpacks, or running a sprint to a gate cause horrible shrieking aliens are boring their ways into your teammates chests.

As for clothes, you got me there, either they found a repository of ancient gymwear, one of the many crates of worthless garbage they brought with them was fitness gear, or they found an ancient taylor's shop in the Destiny.

Lantean General
November 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I didn't want to bring this up because its something of an impracticaliy but...could it be possible that they ate some of the creatures from the jungle planet? It would solve, at least temporarily the food storage problem...

Admitadly, its a long shot...but still

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
They’re not out of food, it just happens to be a disgusting paste that no one likes eating. The training will keep peoples fitness up (always important) and will keep people occupied and their minds off their current situation. As for where all the sports kit comes from, most members of the military keep sports kit with them, I know I always have some sports kit in my kit bag with me, since it was specifically stated they tried to take as much supplies with them as possible with them in Air, its very possible there’s quite a bit of sports kit that came with them.

Maddog316
November 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
When they Dialed the ninth cheveron they were told to gather all their belongings and head through the gate, so there is were their clothes came from, as for the training I dont train so I have no clue, but it at least make sense the military would still train no matter how bad the circumstances are.

Jeff-B
November 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
They were planning an off world mission and didnt know how long they would be there for without being able to get back home. So yes. Clothes would be a priority.

You must be phsycic knowing weather or not i wach the show.
YOUNG (to Scott): "Make sure everyone carries as much of the expedition supplies as they can." They were told to bring the expedition supplies. Wich would've included clothes.

I never said they brought back a load of food. I just said the could've gotten something from the jungle planet.

And if you knew the answers to your own questions. What was the point of this thread?

In at least one of the timelines in Time, they gathered a bunch of different "fruits". Eli even got a bite of one of them, but being an alternate timeline we don't know if it was poison or not.

prion
November 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM

It's possible, but having a convenient box full of clothes, ammo, food, etc. is well, too convenient. and what about shampoo? Okay, maybe not. styling gell? hmm, how long can TJ's hair stay like that? And makeup?

geddarkstorm
November 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
They’re not out of food, it just happens to be a disgusting paste that no one likes eating. The training will keep peoples fitness up (always important) and will keep people occupied and their minds off their current situation. As for where all the sports kit comes from, most members of the military keep sports kit with them, I know I always have some sports kit in my kit bag with me, since it was specifically stated they tried to take as much supplies with them as possible with them in Air, its very possible there’s quite a bit of sports kit that came with them.

This is very true. In my brief experience, when on base, whatever you keep your uniforms in you also have your training clothes right there with. So if they grabbed bags with uniforms, they would have likely taken standard "workout" clothes, aka PT uniform, with. Sneakers are also included in this.

Also, we don't see THE ENTIRE COMPLEMENT OF DESTINY OH NOES! in those clothes all at once, just a handful of people, so they could easily have a small supply they rotate everyone through.

Taiko
November 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
In at least one of the timelines in Time, they gathered a bunch of different "fruits". Eli even got a bite of one of them, but being an alternate timeline we don't know if it was poison or not.

Or consider this, we jumped forward in time and skipped past hunting and gathering missions as Destiny dropped out of FTL perhaps multiple times. The last we saw of the crew they got the key to cure the water borne illness. While they didn't show everybody being cured in 10 seconds Star Trek style, time must have passed before we picked up the story and switched to soap opera on Earth mode.

Phenom
November 25th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I think the term 'realistic' will only apply to certain areas of the show, such as relationships and other areas as dictated by the episode of the week. More basic and dare I say it, boring, needs such as 'where does Chloe keep getting lip gloss from' are left to our imaginations.

Wayston
November 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I've seen many good explanations, part of it is that they were able to bring along supplies from the gate room, part of it is that some were able to gather some stuff together before going to the gate room and part of it is that they can share durable supplies (like clothes or shoes between similar sized people).

shake and stir a bit together and you have a great explanation

prion
November 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
This is very true. In my brief experience, when on base, whatever you keep your uniforms in you also have your training clothes right there with. So if they grabbed bags with uniforms, they would have likely taken standard "workout" clothes, aka PT uniform, with. Sneakers are also included in this.

Also, we don't see THE ENTIRE COMPLEMENT OF DESTINY OH NOES! in those clothes all at once, just a handful of people, so they could easily have a small supply they rotate everyone through.

so judging from the fact that Eli has yet to change clothes, and doesn't want to exercise, exericsing would be bad for him, as the body odor could increase exponentially for him, thus sending several people to sickbay from passing out from the stench... ;) (and I base this on some smells I've had to endure from folks at the gym, eeeuuuu).

of course, there's still the episode we can all look forward to when someone is cleaning all their clothes and has nothing left to wear when an emergnecy appears so... oh darn, this is *basic* cable. ;)

Ukko
November 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
It's possible, but having a convenient box full of clothes, ammo, food, etc. is well, too convenient. and what about shampoo? Okay, maybe not. styling gell? hmm, how long can TJ's hair stay like that? And makeup?

It would be convenient if they had a box full of ammo and food. But they dont.
No spare ammo and not much food.
Out of food, ammo and spare clothes, IMO they got the least of the three. I would call that pretty inconvenient.

beafly
November 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Why Train?

Boost crew morale.

Stay Healthier.

Survival of the Fittest.

---------
If I were Young:

Everyone fights fires, everyone defends the ship. I've got limited personnel so it's highly likely the survival of the entire expedition could fall on the fitness of any single crew-member: scientist, civilian or military. Likewise the survival of the entire expedition could fall on the scientific/ancient knowledge of any single crew-member. I'd have everyone engaged from "sun-up to sun-down" in boot camp led by Greer and and school led by an ancient expert via the LRC stones (only to free Rush/Eli to work on the ship at that time). No hands are idle until EVERYONE is both physically competent and mentally prepared and adapted to life aboard the Destiny.

I-Like-Pie
November 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM

It is like you havent even watched the show

YES they are short on food, very short extremly short

And traning without the PROPER food will make you colapse you will fall down you will die

<Snipped by Moderator>
Well you live you learn

And I have already answered my own questions, it is a tv show

I-Like-Pie
November 25th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Boost crew morale.

Stay Healthier.

Survival of the Fittest.

There is no food, there is no food, there is no food to support training

You will get sick, you will get sick, you will die you will die

<Snipped by Moderator>

Choo1701
November 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm with you beafly, Young needs to be getting all these stranded people working together as a "crew", although, i feel Rush would throw a tantrum if everyone started to learn ancient.

btw: to answer one of the threads question: Where did they get the clothes? its amazing how much you can fit in a small bag, or large crate. Perhaps someone grabbed the "white t-shirt" box by the Icuras Bases Gate instead of the one's marked "food" and "medicine" :p Who knows?

beafly
November 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM

A number of plausible explanations have been offered for where they got the PT gear and how it could be cleaned.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with your statement about the combination of malnutrition and physical exertion placing greater strain on the human body.

It is unclear at least to me if there is truly a food shortage aboard the destiny at this time, or if it is more of a lack of food variety problem. No-where have they indicated that there is a caloric intake issue.

They are rationing, but no-where have they indicated if this was from necessity, or simply conservative use of their resources.

They talked about the food being bland and the desire to create new recopies, they have attempted to forage on a planet (unclear if this was successful in the end), they are attempting to grow vegetables in some sort of hydroponics lab.

<Snipped by Moderator>

Choo1701
November 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
hey, you know, thinking about it a white shirt IS as uselful as a towel.

Hang on *pulls out "The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy"*

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

See, a white T-shirt can help you many of those things!! (Thank you Douglas Adams! ;) )

<Snipped by Moderator>

Ekiel
November 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
There is no food, there is no food, there is no food to support training

You will get sick, you will get sick, you will die you will die

<Snipped by Moderator>

I understand you.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people wasting energy like that.

You people seem to not understand the problem:

Running like all physical work uses energy.
You need to eat more to meet the increased energy demands.
You have a limited amount of food.
Eating more will reduce your food supply faster.
When your food supply is gone your organs will fail and you will die.

So a prudent cause of action would be to conserve energy to buy yourself some time. You can use that time to secure more food.

I'm not sure if this is such a strange concept to you guys - I find it rather obvious.

Boost crew morale.
It's not boosting morale. Some people didn't even want to train. It wouldn't surprise me if orders like this ultimately lead to mutiny.

Stay Healthier.
Starving is not considered healthy.

Survival of the Fittest.

Darwin meant it is a metaphor for "better adapted for immediate, local environment", not the common inference of "in the best physical shape"

Ironic, isn't it?

beafly
November 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
S01E02:

SPENCER
Guess that got left behind along with the food and water.

GREER
Uh-uh. We got food.

PALMER
(unenthusiastic)
Yeah, protein bars, and this powdered stuff.

S01E03:

YOUNG/TELFORD
We're trying. Even if we can get the life support working, we don't have much food and water.

These are the only 2 references I can find to the amount of food within the transcripts. They seem to contradict.

Until proven otherwise, I'm happy to assume that since Young has ordered everyone to stay or get into shape... that they have enough food on hand to do so without TJ (who would have some basic nutrition training) stopping him.

Also, since nobody seems to be withering away, we can safely assume they have enough rations for the interim.

beafly
November 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Plus...

Wouldn't the destiny take them to whatever Rush asks for ;)?

Detox
November 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Where did they get the Clothes, and sneakers
It's not that far of a stretch to guess that maybe one of the expedition crates had PT gear in it? Although the tennis shoes in exact sizes are a bit stretching it.

Why train even though training without proper food and in quantity damages you
The food they had was probably not that tasty, but like most military survival food, they consisted of enough calories to keep people going. And as for training, in a situation like theirs, not doing any sort of physical work out would be a terrible idea. You need something to relieve stress, which they no doubt have plenty of. Working out release that stress and keeps them in decent mental and of course physical health.

And who said there wasn't enough food? They've been on the Destiny for a few weeks now and none of them are showing signs of fatigue or starvation. And in the preview for Justice, we clearly see them tasting food they've fathered from various off world excursions. It's pretty clear that they may not have an abundance of food, but they have a comfortable amount. Have you ever thought of that? That maybe they're doing PE is because they have enough food on board to burn. Have you thought of the fact that they're not starving?

Where are they going to wash all those clothes
If the Destiny has showers that can clean people and not use water, then it makes sense that the same substance used in the showers can be used to wash clothing.

<Snipped by Moderator>

Captain Obvious
November 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
If I were Young:

I'd have everyone engaged from "sun-up to sun-down" in boot camp led by Greer and and school led by an ancient expert via the LRC stones (only to free Rush/Eli to work on the ship at that time). No hands are idle until EVERYONE is both physically competent and mentally prepared and adapted to life aboard the Destiny.

Damn straight. Green for you. You beafly, are ready to lead a ragtag expedition to destiny. Any person that is multi-lingual ( larger propensity to learn a 3rd language) would be trained in ancient first, meaning Wray (and I think the cook speaks puerto rican accented english) would be in the first class. Nothing says " I'm gonna go screw with Rush" quite like having the nosy IOA woman reading over his shoulder!

EllieVee
November 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I'm with you beafly, Young needs to be getting all these stranded people working together as a "crew", although, i feel Rush would throw a tantrum if everyone started to learn ancient.

Why would he? It would actually free him up for real research.

Lord Hurin
December 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
As a very much in-shape American, this stereotype that we are all fat continues to offend me... and I've met some very overweight Europeans, particular of the English/French/Italian variety...

Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world? Besides, a lot of people outside of the US only has the news to go by. ABC nightly news has a story on American obesity (especially among children) at least once a week. Oftentimes, more.

Either way, as soon as I read his comment I knew it would attract some flak. After all, America is the best country in the Universe, right?

In any event, it makes perfect sense; healthy people get sick less (they have little medicine), fit people can perform better offworld (can outrun nasty alien monsters), and should the ship ever fall under attack, these people need to know how to fight and stay on their feet long enough to do some good.

Exactly. I'm wondering why so many people can't understand this. Exercise strengthens the body and mind, relieves stress, make the immune system more resilient and takes the crew's mind off their predicament. Seems very worthwhile to me.

Then again, I forget just how many people would like nothing more than to see this show full of plot holes and be cancelled after a season.

jelgate
December 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world? Besides, a lot of people outside of the US only has the news to go by. ABC nightly news has a story on American obesity (especially among children) at least once a week. Oftentimes, more.

Either way, as soon as I read his comment I knew it would attract some flak. After all, America is the best country in the Universe, right?

Does the term sterotype mean anything to you?

natyanayaki
December 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world?

We do, children especially. It's a HUGE public health concern, however, it's not just and issue in this country, it's true of all industrially developed nations. In fact, China's obesity rate (and maybe India's) is growing as well, and much faster than the rate at which it's occurring in the States.

Exactly. I'm wondering why so many people can't understand this. Exercise strengthens the body and mind, relieves stress, make the immune system more resilient and takes the crew's mind off their predicament. Seems very worthwhile to me.

Then again, I forget just how many people would like nothing more than to see this show full of plot holes and be cancelled after a season.

I agree with this. Plus a lot of people don't realize that when people (the millitary personnel) are used to extensive exercise, it's often difficult to quite cold turkey...though not always. As a dancer, I know that when I'm training hard, 6-9 hrs a day, and I randomly stop, the next day I have trouble getting out of bed, because my body will be soar. Though, personally, I do think the exercise would have been better executed if the military personnel were doing heavy exercise, and the civilians/scientists were doing something else. As I've often said, I can't stand Chloe, something about her, the actor just doesn't vibe well with me...but make Chloe do something useful and lead Yoga for the people less in shape. Yoga is difficult, but beginner's Yoga is a better way to make people who are unfit, fit (not talking about weight, talking about being fit). Eta: There have been many cases in which individuals who exercise regularly and quit suddenly, not only have soar-ness etc, but begin to get ill (cold, flu) very easily, and more often, because their immune system weakens with respect with what it initially was.

Flyboy
December 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
I will concede, Britain is pretty bloody awful on the obesity point - particularly child obesity.

Taiko
December 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM

Its not the exercise in itself rather the basic training or special forces selection phase intensity of the exercise versus the yoga scene intensity that is bringing out the jeers.

Lord Hurin
December 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Does the term sterotype mean anything to you?

Hmm? I thought stereotype typically meant an unsubstantiated or misconceived idea. Statistics show nearly 65% of Americans being overweight (10-30lbs above a healthy body weight), with 31% of that being obese (30+lbs over a healthy body weight.) Whether people like hearing about it or not, that seems like a substantiated fact rather than a stereotype.

But I guess I'm just an uneducated imbecile making wild accusations. Note, however, that I didn't defend the obesity rates of other countries. It wasn't a personal (or national) attack, I simply pointed something out.

Its not the exercise in itself rather the basic training or special forces selection phase intensity of the exercise versus the yoga scene intensity that is bringing out the jeers.

Well it's being led by Marines, they do what they know. I wouldn't be surprised if they learn from the early failures (Eli, Volker and Franklin) and tone it down a bit. It's all well and good to aspire to have Marine-like physique and stamina, but you've gotta start somewhere.

jelgate
December 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Stats can be misleading especially since the US is so huge in terms of population

Lord Hurin
December 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Stats can be misleading especially since the US is so huge in terms of population

Yeah, but I figure the percentage of the population is a good way to go. Country A could have 4 million overweight while country B only has 1 million. If the respective populations of country A and B are 10 million and 1.5 million though, which is worse off as a whole?

Anyway, like I said, I wasn't attacking anyone. If anything, good for s09119 for keeping in shape. Doesn't change the fact that nearly 2/3 of the country is overweight. That also doesn't change the fact that nearly 3/4 of Britons are overweight.

Back OT though, good for Young for trying to get the crew in shape. I'll just weigh in (no pun intended :D ) saying that their food is the same stuff bodybuilders and athletes eat to give them lots of energy without eating a load of stuff. This may also explain why tempers are running hot on board Destiny; they have all this energy and (until now) nothing to do with it.

Jeffala
December 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Doesn't change the fact that nearly 2/3 of the country is overweight. That also doesn't change the fact that nearly 3/4 of Britons are overweight.it.

Are you differentiating between "overweight" and "obese"?

Lord Hurin
December 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Are you differentiating between "overweight" and "obese"?

No. The obesity rates are quite a bit lower, but still shockingly high. 31% in the US and 24% in Britain. Yikes.

natyanayaki
December 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM

They're not that misleading, a lot of it has to do with where in the States one is located, as some regions are healthier than others, and some information is skewed (for instance the standard accepted measurement of obesity, even in terms of BMI isn't entirely accurate). However, it is true that in the US and most industrially developed nations, lifestyle changes, that could lead to healthier BMIs can greatly improve lifespan, and life quality in these nations. And as it stands right now, my country, the US seems to be the worst off.