PDA

View Full Version : P.E. Kits

Rudolph
November 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
As I understand it, the resources aboard Destiny (be they there originally or salvaged from Icarus Base) has left people eating powdered protein meals, rationed wate and the clothes on their back.

Can someone explain to me where they got 80 identical P.E. Kits and pairs of trainers in various sizes?

;)

kaliel
November 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Actually, it was during the desert ep. when I first went 'So they're stuck with a single pair of clothes, and yet they can rustle up full off world uniforms in the correct sizes for the civilians?'.
That seemed a little far fetched to me, but the P.E. wear just completely jarred Life for me.

It is possible that clothing was part of the supplies taken through, but they really should have worked that into the show earlier of less subtly.

escyos
November 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
expedition supplies

Skydiver
November 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
what they need to do is have rush & co find some sort of 'matter replicator/recycler' that says 'well, if we 'turn in' our old clothes the recycler will use them as raw material to remake them into a change of clothes

presto, chango explanations of changes of clothes

escyos
November 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
i garantee that everyone who was going had those changes of clothes in there packs and most of those packs were put through the gate.

Skydiver
November 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
and there is a very real reason we've never been given a canon listing of all they brought through...for the same reason that the SGA folks never - canonly - explored the whole city...to keep the writers' options open and to explain supplies that are found

coZma
November 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
That doesn't bother me that much. What it bothers me is that despite the fact they don't have enough food for everyone they all are forced to train so hard. I'm sure that the best soldiers are barfing, overtrained, constantly hungry fellas. Or were those models, I'm not quite sure ... :confused:

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
That doesn't bother me that much. What it bothers me is that despite the fact they don't have enough food for everyone they all are forced to train so hard. I'm sure that the best soldiers are barfing, overtrained, constantly hungry fellas. Or were those models, I'm not quite sure ... :confused:

Err they do have enough food, its just its incredibly boring paste that tastes disgusting, day in, day out.

Rudolph
November 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
The idea of a machine not unlike the replicator in 'Star Trek' just seems a bit of a cop out idea.

Also, I presumed the gear they wore on the desert planet were borrowed off other crewmembers staying on Destiny who didn't need it for the time being. Whilst they were away on Tatooine (c'mon, you know that's what Eli would have called it :cool:) there were probably a few people onboard Destiny wearing their boxers and briefs and going barefoot.

eonflux
November 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
and there is a very real reason we've never been given a canon listing of all they brought through...for the same reason that the SGA folks never - canonly - explored the whole city...to keep the writers' options open and to explain supplies that are found

In SGA Most of the city was flooded and dangerous. No one knew what the ancients had left behind. When the show ended all was explored even the flooded areas as we are made to believe. But indeed during the show it was a bit of a blur sometimes.

Pond Hopper
November 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
expedition supplies

..You're joking, right?

So they don't have decent food, any really useful equipment or medical supplies but they remember to bring clothes to work out in?

knowles2
November 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
..You're joking, right?

So they don't have decent food, any really useful equipment or medical supplies but they remember to bring clothes to work out in?

Well they were in a rush so they just chuck what they could through.

An they do have useful medical supplies just limited amount an no chance of a resupply any time soon. An they have been shown to have plenty of useful equipment like plasma cutters, an laptops an tablet PCs but again do not have enough.

Captain Obvious
November 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'm sure that the best soldiers are barfing, overtrained, constantly hungry fellas.

The people having issues are the doughy scientists who need to be trained to survive. It isn't over-training, it is like tearing down a dilapidated house to build a brand new dream home.

Also, many of the PE kits looked ill-fitting.

s09119
November 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Standard uniforms and clothing like that was probably part of the expedition supplies which they brought with them. They didn't choose what got taken and what didn't, so they probably ended up with a lot of mundane things (changes of military-based clothing) and not much of what would be really useful (naquadah generators).

Flyboy
November 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
I justify this quite simply.

Someone was cataloguing the supplies they managed to bring with them.

Said someone found a box marked "Physical Training Kit".

Said someone mentioned this to Young who thought (and I quote) "hmm".

Consequently because the supplies were discovered, PT commenced.

Thus there is no concern of "isnt it convenient they had that uniform".

ThePlut
November 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
+1 on this. We have no idea what was in all the boxes that got tossed through, plus, although never explicitly stated, there are a ton of Ancient cargo boxes just around too. We assume all the sheets, bedding, etc was all there, why not some workout clothes.

Maybe the Nike Swoosh is part of our collective unconsciousness which caused us to redevelop them after the Ancients returned from Atlantis...

Captain Obvious
November 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe the Nike Swoosh is part of our collective unconsciousness which caused us to redevelop them after the Ancients returned from Atlantis...

maybe the password to the computer is scanning the nike swoosh

aarlin81
November 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
The idea of a machine not unlike the replicator in 'Star Trek' just seems a bit of a cop out idea.

Apparently you've never watched any of the Asgard episodes or seen Ark of Truth.

Who knows what all was in the cases and crates that were thrown through the gate during the evacuation. I lost count of how many people were hit in the head and how many people were actually still carrying.

geddarkstorm
November 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
..You're joking, right?

You do know what the military considers "decent food" right? You've had an MRE right? Actually, they aren't so bad. But they are nothing compared to home cooked meals; which require a large amount of bulk ingredients and are horribly inefficient for feeding people on mass. Hence MREs and "paste".

The Prophet
November 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Apparently you've never watched any of the Asgard episodes or seen Ark of Truth.

I think Rudolph was refering to a supply-replicator being onboard the Destiny. The Asgard supply-replicator-thingy was really only a special, occasional device used whenthe Asgard were around, or when SG-1 were suddenly uber-teched.

With SGU, they seem to be returning to the basic roots of technology, with the occasional magic device thrown in just to keep things flowing (the battery recharger- back at the SGC or Atlantis, they could just easily recharge/change batteries, so this isn't really giving them anything special).

Supply replicators would be a bit of a cop-out. Solving a lot of their survival issues indefinitely, with no real effort going into it.

Captain Obvious
November 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Supply replicators would be a bit of a cop-out. Solving a lot of their survival issues indefinitely, with no real effort going into it.

unless the system only could replicate things in its database, a database that is corrupted and unable to replicate things correctly, so you have Noodles that taste like motor oil, and vegetables no one has ever heard of and so on and so forth. Could make for a few interesting side things in episodes, and a few funny kinosodes.

Rudolph
November 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Otherwise this'd happen:

YOUNG: Oh No! We have no water/food/clean underpants!!!

RUSH: This box can make us water/food/clean underpants!

*RUSH presses button and water/food/clean underpants appear*

YOUNG: Yay!!! water/food/clean underpants for all!!! *dances*

The Swarm
November 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I wish i had an Ancient underpants makeing machine...they could last for millions of year without washing.

Anyway back on "toepick":

I cant belive nobody figured out the real reason they added P.E. Kits to the episode:
It gives the fangirls a chance to see the boys hot and sweaty duh!

natyanayaki
November 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I don't remember the EXACT details of the scene, but there was one in one of the Airs, in which one of the characters explained that that some of the expedition equipment was left behind, then Spencer said something like "Yeah, along with the rest of the food" then someone else said that they do have food, Power Bars and the protein powder. Based off of that scene, I've come up with 2 scenarios, the power bars and the protein powder either was all the food packed for the expedition OR (and I think this is the more plausible theory), because of the chaos, people brought in whatever packed gear they could get; luckily, among them were the power bars and the protein powder, but they did not bring all the food packed for the expedition. I do think someone probably grabbed one of the bags with the gym clothes. If my second theory is in fact true, then not only are these the wrong people for the expedition, but also the wrong people brought the "wrong" supplies for the expedition.

I cant belive nobody figured out the real reason they added P.E. Kits to the episode:
It gives the fangirls a chance to see the boys hot and sweaty duh!

Haha! They don't need the P.E. kits for that, they can still have hot, sweaty guys, in boxers and no shirt...:-D

LtColCarter
December 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM

Well, if they were a major drain on power...it could a survival issue.

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
You do know what the military considers "decent food" right? You've had an MRE right? Actually, they aren't so bad. But they are nothing compared to home cooked meals; which require a large amount of bulk ingredients and are horribly inefficient for feeding people on mass. Hence MREs and "paste".

And then there's us in the British army, laughing at the yanks because we saw fit to make our ration packs edible and vaguely reminiscent of real food, unlike MRE’s.

LtColCarter
December 1st, 2009, 09:46 AM
And then theirs us in the British army, laughing at the yanks because we saw fit to make our ration packs edible and vaguely reminiscent of real food, unlike MRE’s.

MRE's are good

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM
MRE's are good

Tell that to the yank troops who like to swap kit of theirs with us in return for some of our surplus rations.

Blue Shadowdancer
December 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM
Tell that to the yank troops who like to swap kit of theirs with us in return for some of our surplus rations.

What's your stuff like?

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
What's your stuff like?

Edible if a bit samey. Suffice to say the gag reflex does not kick in when you eat them.

LtColCarter
December 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM

And saying "yank" is a bit rude.

Lord Hurin
December 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM

It is? I always thought of it in the same vein as "Canuck" or "Brit" neither of which I've ever been opposed to being addressed as.

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM

What its slang for Americans. I could call you spam’s which is actual British Army slang for Americans, but then you wouldn’t know what I’m on about.

LtColCarter
December 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
What its slang for Americans. I could call you spam’s which is actual British Army slang for Americans, but then you wouldn’t know what I’m on about.

I'm aware...but by some "yank" is preceived as derogatory.

natyanayaki
December 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
I just find it kinda hilarious that "yank" is slang for Americans, considering so many people still fly Confederate flags etc...

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I'm aware...but by some "yank" is preceived as derogatory.

OK since you don’t know what I mean I’ll use army slang instead. Good luck understanding wnat we mean when we call you septics. :D

Flyboy
December 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Edible if a bit samey. Suffice to say the gag reflex does not kick in when you eat them.
I'd say they're more than edible.

Have you had the new ones?

Heck - even the veggie Ration packs are good. Quorn Burgers and beans. Amazing!

The pasta meals are fantastic, I've yet to try the Chicken Tikka Masala meal but I've heard fantastic things.

The lunchs have improved as well, you can actually get a can of tuna instead of the old cat food, and of course, who could forget the good old Yorkie (it's not for Civvies) chocolate bar!

The Mighty 6 platoon
December 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'd say they're more than edible.

Have you had the new ones?

Heck - even the veggie Ration packs are good. Quorn Burgers and beans. Amazing!

The pasta meals are fantastic, I've yet to try the Chicken Tikka Masala meal but I've heard fantastic things.

The lunchs have improved as well, you can actually get a can of tuna instead of the old cat food, and of course, who could forget the good old Yorkie (it's not for Civvies) chocolate bar!

I know, at least out in the field the rations taste delicious. But then British Army food actually has a tendency to be quite good.

Captain Obvious
December 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
And then there's us in the British army, laughing at the yanks because we saw fit to make our ration packs edible and vaguely reminiscent of real food, unlike MRE’s.

then they must have changed since my pre-Y2K stocking days....the Beef stew MRE14 and the chicken Alfredo MRE22 and the vegetarian chili MRE09 were all awesome, I ate them for lunch for 18 mos to get rid of my excess surplus.

dammit, now I am craving a Beef stew MRE and fritos. Damn you M6P!

I just find it kinda hilarious that "yank" is slang for Americans, considering so many people still fly Confederate flags etc...

because it was the original slang for the rebel Americans. The first battles of the American revolution were all fought in the northeastern US. Besides, there is already a separate slang for people who fly confederate flags- we call them rednecks.