PDA

View Full Version : Who will really lose it first?

ARealArchaeologist
November 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I know there is a lot of talk about Spencer, and the writers are pegging him as the crazy one, but did anyone notice Volker? When he was talking to TJ, he said that he was so glad they had a plan to get home, because he was close to losing it, and then laughed (not exactly what happened, just paraphrasing). He really seemed like he was on the edge at that moment. I wonder who really is going to lose it.

This is also just my opinion. I don't have any spoiler information.

Hibblette
November 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Did you watch the Preview?

Jeff-B
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
With all the buildup of Spencer being ready to snap, maybe they're just doing it to make for a big plot twist, you never know. At this point, I still think Spencer's character could be redeemed. Like, if he went to Young or TJ and asked for help because of an addiction of some kind.

Pharaoh Atem
November 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
lol spencer going to have a bad day in the next ep

ARealArchaeologist
November 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
I haven't seen the preview, but I rarely put stock in them. They usually lead you in a different way then the show goes. So I'll watch them, but I never let them influence me.

Cold Fuzz
November 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM
I know there is a lot of talk about Spencer, and the writers are pegging him as the crazy one, but did anyone notice Volker? When he was talking to TJ, he said that he was so glad they had a plan to get home, because he was close to losing it, and then laughed (not exactly what happened, just paraphrasing). He really seemed like he was on the edge at that moment. I wonder who really is going to lose it.

This is also just my opinion. I don't have any spoiler information.

This is a very astute observation about Volker. Without going into specifics, I can tell you right now that we'll gradually see more and more of Volker. I'm happy about that since he and Riley are my two favorite secondary characters. :sheppard:

TPTB decided that Patrick Gilmore's performance in "Life" merited a greater development of Volker's backstory. Of all the secondary characters, he appears in the most number of episodes this season with 19, and apparently he's going to be more heavily developed in season 2.

Volker strikes me as one of those people that excels in controlled environments. If he didn't, he wouldn't have gotten into the Stargate program in the first place. However, the situation on the Destiny is anything but controlled. The guy isn't cut out for the current situation, despite his skills. I personally think that we'll see him experiencing various successes and failures adapting to life onboard the Destiny.

kaliel
November 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM
I'm actually putting my money on Young. He seems to be getting less and less stable, especially with the increasing tension between he and Telford.

I don't think he'll explode in the way that Spencer seems to be headed towards, but being in a position of command, even a quiet breakdown is going to have massive ramifications.

MattSilver 3k
November 22nd, 2009, 02:41 AM
Who's going to lose it? Anyone between Spencer, Young, Greer, Rush, TJ, Chloe, Eli, Scott, Park, Volker, Franklin, Becker, Riley - they're all at risk if they haven't already!

Rudolph
November 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm wondering about the rumoured mid-season suicide. It could be built up to Spencer turning into Gomer Pyle and blowing his own head off, but then again it could be really subtle and have the crew shocked that one of the quieter redshirts we don't really see hanging themselves.

ARealArchaeologist
November 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
This is a very astute observation about Volker. Without going into specifics, I can tell you right now that we'll gradually see more and more of Volker. I'm happy about that since he and Riley are my two favorite secondary characters. :sheppard:

TPTB decided that Patrick Gilmore's performance in "Life" merited a greater development of Volker's backstory. Of all the secondary characters, he appears in the most number of episodes this season with 19, and apparently he's going to be more heavily developed in season 2.

Volker strikes me as one of those people that excels in controlled environments. If he didn't, he wouldn't have gotten into the Stargate program in the first place. However, the situation on the Destiny is anything but controlled. The guy isn't cut out for the current situation, despite his skills. I personally think that we'll see him experiencing various successes and failures adapting to life onboard the Destiny.

I'm glad we will see more of him. I would like to know more of his back story. I really don't think he can handle the situation either, he seems to be barely holding it in. And Rush doesn't seem to give a rat's $%& about him and that's not going to add to the mental stability.

ARealArchaeologist
November 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm actually putting my money on Young. He seems to be getting less and less stable, especially with the increasing tension between he and Telford.

I don't think he'll explode in the way that Spencer seems to be headed towards, but being in a position of command, even a quiet breakdown is going to have massive ramifications.

Didn't even consider him, but you are right. He is becoming more unstable and can't control his emotions. I guess we will see when some of these episodes start coming up.

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'm glad we will see more of him. I would like to know more of his back story. I really don't think he can handle the situation either, he seems to be barely holding it in. And Rush doesn't seem to give a rat's $%& about him and that's not going to add to the mental stability.

Volker reminds me of a bashful and assuming friend I met about 9-10 years ago. He even dresses like he did (namely the vest). Consequently, Volker quickly drew my attention since the similarities were interesting. However, Patrick Gilmore and the friend I knew don't look remotely alike. For one thing the guy I knew had a beard and glasses. ;)

Personally, I think "Life" sets in motion an interesting character arc for Volker that not even TPTB themselves were expecting until after the episode finished filming. Now we do get his backstory fleshed out but it's what he goes through this season I think will be the most interesting. I personally think we're going to gradually see him lose it...as in slowly go bonkers. And having someone as manipulative and abusive as Rush essentially supervising him I think will contribute to this.

Spoilers for "Pain" below:
By the time we get to "Pain" it looks like Volker's going to endure something rather...interesting and violent. This link (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_1.17_%22Pain%22_Episode_Guide) shows some production notes about "Pain." Now this page reveals virtually none of the plot information so nobody really knows the specifics of what's supposed to happen, but if you look at the final two bulleted items in the production notes, you get this:

"Gold star for @PatrickGilmore today. Great, creepy, unsettling work." — Carl Binder, Twitter (September 10, 2009)
"Thanks to @cpbinder for the 'Pain' & the gold star. Crazy last day of the episode. Bruised forehead & an exciting #SGU episode to prove it." — Patrick Gilmore, Twitter (September 10, 2009)

Words like "creepy" and "unsettling" are definitely words that I would never associate with the Volker we know right now. The fact that he ends up with a bruised forehead at the end of "Pain" and the way his performance is described says something. :eek:

Count
November 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Young seems stable, but he definitely doesn't want to be there, he's made no bad command decisions yet, even with the emotional stress of his wife and Telford.
TJ is coping by burying herself in work, she's too busy caring about the injured and lack of supplies to lose her mind.
Chloe's lost everything on Earth, her father, her boyfriend, she's just gone numb. Surprisingly enough, this makes her "more stable" on the Destiny then most because she has no desperate need to return. Not to mention Eli is her anchor.
Eli's insanely stable for this situation, he's loving the whole spaceship thing, just not the whole lost in space bit.
Rush, he's stable but only relative to his normal mindset, obviously
Scott is going to start losing it, he was content protecting people, now he knows there's something on Earth waiting for him.
Greer... hard to say, he seems very weird at time, but i think that he'll remain stable as long as there's a clear chain of command he can see and be loyal to.. oh, and keep him away from Telford.
Franklin's going downhill fast, but i think his arboretum is going to keep him from going around the bend.
Volker and Brody seem fine enough, they're disgruntled but not insaneish.
Camille is a hard one to figure out too, we just haven't seen enough of her yet.
James seems ok, she's upset, but as long as she's not alone, i think she wont go crazy. It seems more like she's afraid of loneliness then anything else.

Who'd i miss? (I excluded spencer, we know he's insane)

ARealArchaeologist
November 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Volker reminds me of a bashful and assuming friend I met about 9-10 years ago. He even dresses like he did (namely the vest). Consequently, Volker quickly drew my attention since the similarities were interesting. However, Patrick Gilmore and the friend I knew don't look remotely alike. For one thing the guy I knew had a beard and glasses. ;)

Personally, I think "Life" sets in motion an interesting character arc for Volker that not even TPTB themselves were expecting until after the episode finished filming. Now we do get his backstory fleshed out but it's what he goes through this season I think will be the most interesting. I personally think we're going to gradually see him lose it...as in slowly go bonkers. And having someone as manipulative and abusive as Rush essentially supervising him I think will contribute to this.

Spoilers for "Pain" below:
By the time we get to "Pain" it looks like Volker's going to endure something rather...interesting and violent. This link (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_1.17_%22Pain%22_Episode_Guide) shows some production notes about "Pain." Now this page reveals virtually none of the plot information so nobody really knows the specifics of what's supposed to happen, but if you look at the final two bulleted items in the production notes, you get this:

"Gold star for @PatrickGilmore today. Great, creepy, unsettling work." — Carl Binder, Twitter (September 10, 2009)
"Thanks to @cpbinder for the 'Pain' & the gold star. Crazy last day of the episode. Bruised forehead & an exciting #SGU episode to prove it." — Patrick Gilmore, Twitter (September 10, 2009)

Words like "creepy" and "unsettling" are definitely words that I would never associate with the Volker we know right now. The fact that he ends up with a bruised forehead at the end of "Pain" and the way his performance is described says something. :eek:

That Carl Binder quote has me really excited! Wow! We soon won't even know Volker!

The Prophet
November 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Did you watch the Preview?

We don't get previews in the UK :(

Unless it's a brief clip for an advert, which really isn't anything substantial, and is usually a few episodes behind xD

ARealArchaeologist
November 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
We don't get previews in the UK :(

Unless it's a brief clip for an advert, which really isn't anything substantial, and is usually a few episodes behind xD

That's tough, and you get them 4 days later, which for me would mean avoiding the boards until I saw it. I don't mind minor spoilers, but finding out all the major plot points!

Lord Hurin
November 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I'm wondering about the rumoured mid-season suicide. It could be built up to Spencer turning into Gomer Pyle and blowing his own head off, but then again it could be really subtle and have the crew shocked that one of the quieter redshirts we don't really see hanging themselves.

Gomer Pyle blew his own head off? I thought his show was a sitcom... ;)

ARealArchaeologist
November 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe it will be both, one week shocking and the next someone quietly hanging themselves. Really drive home the reality of the situation they are in, and how important it would be to keep up your moral.

Radahldo
November 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Would they use a gun to kill themselves? I mean, I would assume after the incident with the senator they'd take greater precautions keeping weapons out of the hands of non-trained personale who are bound to behave more emotionally, more dangerously with them.

I also feel TJ (and Young) made a grave mistake in handling those interviews in bulks, all by herself seemingly. The way it's edited doesn't give me the clearest indication to how it was scheduled, but it seemed very flawed.
The types like Greer are so likely to be taciturn and aggravating; the eli's will evade the interview entirely; types like Franklins just argue and vent-- but then with someone like Volker, visibly shaken in some aspect, the system doesn't automatically individuate him from the others, it was up to her to recognize something being wrong with him, and he kinda slipped through because of that. She's hardly qualified and there is just too much going on. It should've been a collaborative project with TJ and Wray.

I think an (unrelated) exchange earlier in the episode described it well:
TJ: "He says he's fine, but I'm really worried about him"
Young:"I'm worried about a dozen others"

Cold Fuzz
November 26th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Would they use a gun to kill themselves? I mean, I would assume after the incident with the senator they'd take greater precautions keeping weapons out of the hands of non-trained personale who are bound to behave more emotionally, more dangerously with them.

I also feel TJ (and Young) made a grave mistake in handling those interviews in bulks, all by herself seemingly. The way it's edited doesn't give me the clearest indication to how it was scheduled, but it seemed very flawed.
The types like Greer are so likely to be taciturn and aggravating; the eli's will evade the interview entirely; types like Franklins just argue and vent-- but then with someone like Volker, visibly shaken in some aspect, the system doesn't automatically individuate him from the others, it was up to her to recognize something being wrong with him, and he kinda slipped through because of that. She's hardly qualified and there is just too much going on. It should've been a collaborative project with TJ and Wray.

I think an (unrelated) exchange earlier in the episode described it well:
TJ: "He says he's fine, but I'm really worried about him"
Young:"I'm worried about a dozen others"

I agree that having TJ handle the psych profiles all by herself wasn't the best idea. I thought that she should have at least partnered up with Camille to get a second opinion. Camille has probably dealt with more psych-related issues and would be more in line with her HR experience. I don't think that was a good choice by Young but for better or for worse, that's what's been carried out.

People like Greer and Franklin are easier to understand what's happening. Their emotions are closer to the surface and are more likely to voice what's really going inside. Eli others are avoidant and will therefore try to skirt around the psych evaluation altogether.

And then there are types like Volker. Admittedly, this might be premature of me to say but I think he's a ticking time bomb though not in the same manner as Spencer. Spencer, being an extrovert, is going to be incredibly direct with what he wants and feels. He'll take action and it will be obvious what he'll be doing. On the other hand, Volker is not like that at all. He's obviously internalized much of his emotions and put them on hold to carry out various tasks he's been assigned to do. But how long can he do that if he's already at the end of his rope?

That Carl Binder quote has me really excited! Wow! We soon won't even know Volker!

I believe that once Volker's stress tank is full, all it will take is one trigger event--even a small one--and he will snap. If what I have seen in real life is any indication, it will not be pretty. I imagine that Rush or someone else will say something he doesn't like and then he'll erupt in a fury that no one has ever seen before. I can easily picture him getting physically violent with Rush after being insulted. We'll have to wait a few months to see what happens in "Pain."

Radahldo
November 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
And then there are types like Volker. Admittedly, this might be premature of me to say but I think he's a ticking time bomb though not in the same manner as Spencer. Spencer, being an extrovert, is going to be incredibly direct with what he wants and feels. He'll take action and it will be obvious what he'll be doing. On the other hand, Volker is not like that at all. He's obviously internalized much of his emotions and put them on hold to carry out various tasks he's been assigned to do. But how long can he do that if he's already at the end of his rope?

I believe that once Volker's stress tank is full, all it will take is one trigger event--even a small one--and he will snap. If what I have seen in real life is any indication, it will not be pretty. I imagine that Rush or someone else will say something he doesn't like and then he'll erupt in a fury that no one has ever seen before. I can easily picture him getting physically violent with Rush after being insulted. We'll have to wait a few months to see what happens in "Pain."

In 'Darkness', I got the impression that Riley told Volker of the physical altercation he had with Rush. When Rush raised his voice, he seemed really threatened and immediately became deferent and if Rush allowed him to stay, would've taken his various insults without a complaint.. also, considering that his arm was healing at the time, he couldn't really defend himself.

Even with his arm healed, If Rush slapped him I could see him not reacting violently. I agree with you in that he really seems like the type to bottle things up, work quietly for a change in circumstance. No complaints. I think he'll blow up really really violently like you said.

We saw Franklin as being surprisingly unintimidated by Spencer. And since Greer has already shot him, I don't think Franklin's bravery/contentiousness was some sorta "you'll get locked up if you hit me" kinda thing. It's just something apart of his personality.
Of out Brody, Riley, Park and Franklin he seems the most physically and emotionally vulnerable... and with Rush screaming at people; Young debasing others, and Greer prowling about, he's getting a lot of anger to bottle up.

Cold Fuzz
November 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
In 'Darkness', I got the impression that Riley told Volker of the physical altercation he had with Rush. When Rush raised his voice, he seemed really threatened and immediately became deferent and if Rush allowed him to stay, would've taken his various insults without a complaint.. also, considering that his arm was healing at the time, he couldn't really defend himself.

Even with his arm healed, If Rush slapped him I could see him not reacting violently. I agree with you in that he really seems like the type to bottle things up, work quietly for a change in circumstance. No complaints. I think he'll blow up really really violently like you said.

We saw Franklin as being surprisingly unintimidated by Spencer. And since Greer has already shot him, I don't think Franklin's bravery/contentiousness was some sorta "you'll get locked up if you hit me" kinda thing. It's just something apart of his personality.
Of out Brody, Riley, Park and Franklin he seems the most physically and emotionally vulnerable... and with Rush screaming at people; Young debasing others, and Greer prowling about, he's getting a lot of anger to bottle up.

Franklin is clearly untrusting of the military's way of doing things. If there's some sort of power struggle onboard, Franklin will not be siding with Col. Young, even though Young did help him out in dealing with Spencer in the hallway. You're right in that he'd be the most physically vulnerable at the moment. As such, I think he'd be one of the first to get hurt in case there are altercations between crew members.

Volker's ticking time bomb potential has been caused by not standing up for himself consistently, even with someone like Rush. That kind of anger gets accumulated. Consequently, he'll erupt like volcano if he doesn't handle these conflicts with Rush and others properly. I think he himself is not even aware of this. Whether this caught TJ's psych radar or not, we'll have to see. I'm betting that she didn't see how close to the edge he really is.

ARealArchaeologist
November 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Franklin is clearly untrusting of the military's way of doing things. If there's some sort of power struggle onboard, Franklin will not be siding with Col. Young, even though Young did help him out in dealing with Spencer in the hallway. You're right in that he'd be the most physically vulnerable at the moment. As such, I think he'd be one of the first to get hurt in case there are altercations between crew members.

Volker's ticking time bomb potential has been caused by not standing up for himself consistently, even with someone like Rush. That kind of anger gets accumulated. Consequently, he'll erupt like volcano if he doesn't handle these conflicts with Rush and others properly. I think he himself is not even aware of this. Whether this caught TJ's psych radar or not, we'll have to see. I'm betting that she didn't see how close to the edge he really is.

I know she's not a psychologist, but really how could you not. When I heard him say that line about almost losing it, and now with the plan having hope I immediately thought "This is a person to watch closely". I'm still torn if he will errupt violently, or maintain his character, and quietly go off and kill himself. Or maybe both, he could freak out on Rush and then when they put him in solitary confinement, he could kill himself then.
I agree with a poster in another thread, there really should be scheduled psych visits on earth with someone. Then you can be more honest, and not have to worry about meeting TJ in the halls, or wondering who has been told on the ship about you and what you said.

EllieVee
November 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Doesn't anyone think that Young's already losing it?

ARealArchaeologist
November 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM

An earlier post mentioned young, and I hadn't really thought of it until then. I do think that he could be a very possible candidate, but I wonder if the will to go home will keep him somewhat sane. I do think he is becoming more emotional and the stress of the crew maybe getting to him, but the need to get home should see him through...unless more problems with TJ arise.

Cold Fuzz
November 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I know she's not a psychologist, but really how could you not. When I heard him say that line about almost losing it, and now with the plan having hope I immediately thought "This is a person to watch closely". I'm still torn if he will errupt violently, or maintain his character, and quietly go off and kill himself. Or maybe both, he could freak out on Rush and then when they put him in solitary confinement, he could kill himself then.
I agree with a poster in another thread, there really should be scheduled psych visits on earth with someone. Then you can be more honest, and not have to worry about meeting TJ in the halls, or wondering who has been told on the ship about you and what you said.

I personally think that Volker's on course for a violent confrontation with someone. Right now, he's swallowing whatever abuse he gets from Rush and keeping quiet about the situation on the ship. It's been my experience that in situations like that, the person having the overflowing stress tank is going to explode rather than "implode" (withdraw into themselves and commit suicide). This seems to be a pattern I've seen with other guys though God knows there are always exceptions to the pattern. Given his character, I do believe he would express great remorse if he did snap and hurt someone. I agree that Volker is someone who definitely would benefit from psych visits outside the ship. TJ is empathetic, true, but psychologists are best able to analyze a problem when they're outside the actual situation.

He's barely holding it together if at all. His explosive reaction after being abruptly cut off from the communication stones doesn't bode well as it's affecting his command decisions. And then there was Young punching out Telford. Satisfying to watch for me as Telford was being a manipulative scumbag but still unsettling to watch.

EllieVee
November 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I personally think that Volker's on course for a violent confrontation with someone. Right now, he's swallowing whatever abuse he gets from Rush and keeping quiet about the situation on the ship. It's been my experience that in situations like that, the person having the overflowing stress tank is going to explode rather than "implode" (withdraw into themselves and commit suicide). This seems to be a pattern I've seen with other guys though God knows there are always exceptions to the pattern. Given his character, I do believe he would express great remorse if he did snap and hurt someone. I agree that Volker is someone who definitely would benefit from psych visits outside the ship. TJ is empathetic, true, but psychologists are best able to analyze a problem when they're outside the actual situation.

While I agree that Rush is a prime candidate for a bashing (poor woobie), I'll point out that we've only seen Rush lose it at Volker once in Darkness. We don't know that Rush has abused him since.

He's barely holding it together if at all. His explosive reaction after being abruptly cut off from the communication stones doesn't bode well as it's affecting his command decisions. And then there was Young punching out Telford. Satisfying to watch for me as Telford was being a manipulative scumbag but still unsettling to watch.

The bit in Life where Spencer whacks Franklin fascinated me because Young nearly lost it himself. A good commander, after wailing on his delinquint marine, would have stopped and asked the civvie if he was okay; instead, Young glares, panting, at Frankling and stomps off. The look on his face was as though had Franklin said anything, Young would have smacked Franklin, too.

ARealArchaeologist
November 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
It's probably Telford's main plan, make Young lose it, and do everything to hasten that end. Destroy his home life, his sanity, his career, everything.

EllieVee
November 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think Telford's helping but he didn't make Young nutso in the first place.

ARealArchaeologist
November 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think Telford's helping but he didn't make Young nutso in the first place.

I don't know if Young was crazy before his troubles with his wife, and the Destiny. I think that situation, compounded with being trapped with TJ, as well as just being trapped is making him lose it. He's probably torn, damned if he does go back to TJ, since everyone thinks he is, or damned if he doesn't. I think that is why we are seeing the rapid cracks in his demeanor. And if it does go like the rumors are saying with TJ and the actress, then the poor man doesn't have a chance.

Cold Fuzz
November 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM
While I agree that Rush is a prime candidate for a bashing (poor woobie), I'll point out that we've only seen Rush lose it at Volker once in Darkness. We don't know that Rush has abused him since.

Very true. The only reason I would think that this incident with Volker wasn't isolated was because the most recent Kinosode with Dr. Park is leading me to believe that he pretty much treats the entire science team, which are technically his subordinates, with contempt. You're correct though that we've only seen one confrontation with Volker and Rush.

The bit in Life where Spencer whacks Franklin fascinated me because Young nearly lost it himself. A good commander, after wailing on his delinquint marine, would have stopped and asked the civvie if he was okay; instead, Young glares, panting, at Frankling and stomps off. The look on his face was as though had Franklin said anything, Young would have smacked Franklin, too.That's a very good observation! I actually didn't get a good look at Young's facial expressions when he looked at Franklin but I think you're absolutely right. I actually wondered why Young didn't ask Franklin if he was OK.

In my line of work, I've had to protect somebody else from a combative individual more than a few times and I always ask the victim if they're OK after the altercation is done. I didn't even notice that Young didn't do that until you caught that. This definitely isn't a good sign for him.

MIZA
December 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
who hasn't lost , the question is who will loose worst !!