PDA

View Full Version : Who's the more avid reader, Park or Scott?

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Scott seems to have settled down for a long haul, with something like "War & Peace", while Park is deep into short, pulp novels. Still, Scott seems to have quite a bit of literary experience behind him. And one has to wonder how long it is before Park goes through Destiny's entire library...

MattSilver 3k
November 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Right now, the difference between the two is that Park seems to be going for the detached, booty call, angle, while Scott's trying to form an actual relationship with Chloe... Besides, Scott only slept with one other Icarus Base-woman (That we know of) before arriving on the Destiny, and that was probably more booty call.

But hey - I wouldn't be surprised if every character will get the chance to read a book or two. Park's sex life may never come up again unless she gets into an actual relationship-relationship, so... *shrugs*

Oh, but onto the actual topic: They're equal about now for the Destiny/Icarus Base crew. Scott: 2, Park: 2.

les fleurs
November 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Park's reading. Right now she is reading with Greer, who is a regular cast member (as opposed to nameless mustached marine #1).

I think she will probably find someone who understand that they are just reading for the fun of it and that there won't be any strong analysis of each chapter and where they think the story is going.

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Scott seems to have settled down for a long haul, with something like "War & Peace", while Park is deep into short, pulp novels. Still, Scott seems to have quite a bit of literary experience behind him. And one has to wonder how long it is before Park goes through Destiny's entire library...I thought you would have been happy to see a different genre? I think given what little we saw from Park their isn't enough to judge

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
I thought you would have been happy to see a different genre? I think given what little we saw from Park their isn't enough to judgeI would've been happy if Scott and Greer started a book club together, so that they could do in-depth literary analysis.

s09119
November 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would've been happy if Scott and Greer started a book club together, so that they could do in-depth literary analysis.

They should both read the same book and get each other's opinions on the author's intentions and characterization.

Nemises
November 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
More like a novel.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
They should both read the same book and get each other's opinions on the author's intentions and characterization.

Seeing as they both seem to prefer different genres that is unlikely. However they could start reading together and then go into in-depth reviews.

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
MMMMMM, I’d like to do some reviewing with Park or Chloe. What, why is everyone staring at me?

Eternal Density
November 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I got the vibe that unknown-mustache-guy had enough after the first chapter, hence Park checking out a new volume.

leanbarton
November 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
If only I could be a book on a shelf while Greer is thumbing through pages.

Marsuvees
November 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe everyone can stop with Chloe being a slut.

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 05:12 PM

Never. The Chloe bashers hate is strong and strong hate only leads to more hate:P

wargrafix
November 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM

After this episode, Vala had the right comment in these situation. "Let's make babies!". Chloe may go the pregnancy route. To make matt happy.

But Chloe is looking for emotional solace. The S word appropriately suits park. She is a "bump and grind and leave them behind" kinda chick. sorry, but bed hopping doesn't make her look independent, just unstable.

Skydiver
November 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
or she's simply someone seeking comfort and contact and, yes, stress relief, where she can find it

KEK
November 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
That moustache was comical, no wonder she blanked him when she saw him :lol:

Skydiver
November 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM
just a reminder...keep it fun but not crude please :)

ckwongau
November 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
speaking of the Reading situation

When would Eli get a library card?
And poor Dr Rush , he is too obsesses with Destiny to do some actual reading.
If the spoiler is right about Camile Wray someone will use her library without her authorisation

Col Young has an overdue book back home.Col Telford is keeping an eye on it while Col Young is away.

Lt James should be more carefully at picking her next book, but i hope her last bad reading experience doesn't discourage her future reading interest.

Egle01
November 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM

If the spoiler is right about Camile Wray someone will use her library without her authorisation

From what I remember
wasn't it Rush and somebody else using Wray's library going to read a book together? In "Sabotage"?

No?

Nemises
November 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM

Col Young has an overdue book back home.Col Telford is keeping an eye on it while Col Young is away.

Lt James should be more carefully at picking her next book, but i hope her last bad reading experience doesn't discourage her future reading interest.

:lol:

Jper
November 22nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
After this episode, Vala had the right comment in these situation. "Let's make babies!". Chloe may go the pregnancy route. To make matt happy.

But Chloe is looking for emotional solace. The S word appropriately suits park. She is a "bump and grind and leave them behind" kinda chick. sorry, but bed hopping doesn't make her look independent, just unstable.

I don't think Scott is actually jumping to become a father again. He's just found he already has a son. :D

Chloe's jealous. That was cool.

reddevil18
November 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think Scott is actually jumping to become a father again. He's just found he already has a son. :D

But Scott is perhaps now discovering how sequels can be good. Sure, the co-author is somewhat lacking, but given the proper editor, it could be a good book. A reading experience Scott might one day wish to repeat.

Jper
November 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
But Scott is perhaps now discovering how sequels can be good. Sure, the co-author is somewhat lacking, but given the proper editor, it could be a good book. A reading experience Scott might one day wish to repeat.

Why would Chloe be lacking as a co-author? :confused:

jelgate
November 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Why would Chloe be lacking as a co-author? :confused:Who cares? When is the last time reddevil mades sense?:P

reddevil18
November 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Who cares? When is the last time reddevil mades sense?:P
You're just blinded by your Chloe obsession.

jelgate
November 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM

As are you with your Greer.

reddevil18
November 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
No comment.

Makenshi
November 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Never. The Chloe bashers hate is strong and strong hate only leads to more hate:P

Actually, strong hate leads to the dark side of the force...

... nevermind. :rolleyes:

Jper
November 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Who cares? When is the last time reddevil mades sense?:P

I don't know. I remember something. Don't know how long ago though. It was a serious question actually, but maybe RD wasn't being serious.

Well, this kind of makes sense, but I guess I'm as guilty as the next person though when it comes to obsession. :D

Eternal Density
November 23rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
You know what they say, you can't judge a book by its cover!
Speaking of books, TJ seems to miss the one she's borrowed, after hearing about Chloe's reading experience.

Great, now we have to 'read into' Rush's truly mediocre book, and Sheppard's slow progress through War and Peace. And books are totally Daniel's thing...

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
MMMMMM, I’d like to do some reviewing with Park or Chloe. What, why is everyone staring at me?

I think we're going to have to get in line for a tutoring appointment with Park. And somehow, I don't think she goes by appointment, instead going by when she feels like educating someone about her choices in literature. I suppose we'll have to get by with passing notes in the meantime. Some lovely in depth discussions about her favorite books would be great, though hopefully she won't be inviting other people who have borrowed her books to join in for a study session. She might though, considering she likes to browse rather than peruse. Perhaps she could start a book club?

By the way, its interesting to note that Park has yet to invite her fellow scientists Brody and Volker to a study session. She seems to be sticking with the military genre. That's interesting.

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
I'm willing to bet Scott's the more avid reader seeing as how his reading gets plot focus. First, there was that thing with James and the Giant Pumpkin where James kinda got snubbed afterwards and then we get a complicated reaction out of her when it's revealed he's moved onto another book series.

Then we found out that he once read The 16 Yearold Virgin, in which there was a pregnancy which is probably going to play an important role in his life and characterization in future episodes.

Then he moved onto The President's (Senator's) Daughter, which features a love-triangle, lots of angst and whatnot.

Meanwhile, what does Dr. Lisa Park have? Two short scenes no longer than 3 seconds each which resulted in absolutely nothing besides a white lie. Since Park is a tertiary character at the moment and nothing important came out of her reading this episode, I doubt it's going to play any real plot importance later on.

So Scott wins the Most Avid Reader on SGU Award.

reddevil18
November 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
And somehow, I don't think she goes by appointment She strikes me as the sort of person who alphabetizes, so...

By the way, its interesting to note that Park has yet to invite her fellow scientists Brody and Volker to a study session. She seems to be sticking with the military genre. Indeed. A Tom Clancy fan if I ever saw one.

Jper
November 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
You know what they say, you can't judge a book by its cover!
Speaking of books, TJ seems to miss the one she's borrowed, after hearing about Chloe's reading experience.

Great, now we have to 'read into' Rush's truly mediocre book, and Sheppard's slow progress through War and Peace. And books are totally Daniel's thing...

Yeah, and what about Young, he borrowed Telford's body to read his book.

Eli needs to get some reading done as well, but seems like the book he wants isn't available anymore in the library as Scott was there first.

Cory Holmes
November 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
sorry, but bed hopping doesn't make her look independent, just unstable.

That's the feeling that I got from this episode. Extra points since the PTBs framed those scenes with her psych session with TJ.

AVFan
November 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I think we're going to have to get in line for a tutoring appointment with Park. And somehow, I don't think she goes by appointment, instead going by when she feels like educating someone about her choices in literature. I suppose we'll have to get by with passing notes in the meantime. Some lovely in depth discussions about her favorite books would be great, though hopefully she won't be inviting other people who have borrowed her books to join in for a study session. She might though, considering she likes to browse rather than peruse. Perhaps she could start a book club?

**Is third in line for a study session with Park**

beafly
November 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I think I saw the title of this thread a few days ago... never clicked into it because it made no sense.

Laying in bed last night trying to fall asleep, it finally clicked!!!

I burst out laughing and woke my wife up. LOL!

-------------

As we like to remind each other...

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I think I saw the title of this thread a few days ago... never clicked into it because it made no sense.

Laying in bed last night trying to fall asleep, it finally clicked!!!

I burst out laughing and woke my wife up. LOL!

-------------

As we like to remind each other...

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies. It's essential to the human condition.

**Is third in line for a study session with Park**

Now I'm assuming she's going alphabetically. If not, I might have to start peering through her card catalogue.

She strikes me as the sort of person who alphabetizes, so...

Indeed. A Tom Clancy fan if I ever saw one.

I'm betting Hunt for Red October is a real favorite of hers. "Ensign, make for a thirty-degree down angle on the bow planes. Dive, dive, dive..."

Eternal Density
November 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I had a similar experience, noticing the thread title, dismissing it as not immediately important, and then realising the true meaning while reading another thread. Probably the favourite lines thread.

So... are people using page protectors? Getting worn or torn pages is no fun.
[edit]The readers seem to have a tendency to leave dust jackets on while reading.

Cold Fuzz
November 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
[edit]The readers seem to have a tendency to leave dust jackets on while reading.

Laminated pages might be an interesting experiment for our dear Dr. Park. ;) It might be a good idea considering how rough she seems to be turning pages.

If she's into the military genre, I think she would approve of crime novels. As someone on the law enforcement track, I wouldn't mind exchanging ideas with her about I, the Jury. It's a real page-turner. :cool:

Jper
November 24th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I had a similar experience, noticing the thread title, dismissing it as not immediately important, and then realising the true meaning while reading another thread. Probably the favourite lines thread.

I bet Park is using some kind of protection. With Chloe and Matt I don't know...

Andron
November 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'd love be Lisa Park's next literary selection ;) (link to her thunk thread in my signature :p )

Why does "everybody" make such a fuzz about her reading...

Eternal Density
November 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'd love be Lisa Park's next literary selection ;) (link to her thunk thread in my signature :p )

Why does "everybody" make such a fuzz about her reading...Maybe they're still in remedial English?
great, now I want to make a joke about Greek

gatefanjo-m
November 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
But where would this protection come from? If I was an Icarus Base employee, and I kne the base was about to explode, I don't think that that would be on my list of things to grab.
Protein food mix. Check!
Guns and ammo. Check!
Ancient communication stones. Check!
I'm forgetting something..........

Eternal Density
November 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
But where would this protection come from? If I was an Icarus Base employee, and I kne the base was about to explode, I don't think that that would be on my list of things to grab.
Protein food mix. Check!
Guns and ammo. Check!
Ancient communication stones. Check!
I'm forgetting something..........Oh, yeah, my iPod dock! Check!!

Jper
November 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Oh, yeah, my iPod dock! Check!!

Eli probably brought that. :)

Besides, they had time to collect their personal belongings, so not so unrealistic. I know a whole bunch of people who would save their computer and electronics if they could only save one or a couple of things if their house was on fire. :)

natyanayaki
November 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't think Scott is as stuck on the book Chloe as it seems. I'd say Scott is the more manipulative reader, while Park is the more stressed...

gatefanjo-m
November 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Oh, yeah, my iPod dock! Check!!

I'm glad we haven't seen the iphone lately....that would have been stretching the "recharging plate's" capabilities a tad, in my opinion.

Angel1964
November 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well if we stick with the "reading" analogy , it is kind of nice to see that there is an emotional reason for Park to chose her latest "book" based on Kino 20...My take is that this Kino scene happens sometime in the middle of "Life", leading to her choice.

natyanayaki
November 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well if we stick with the "reading" analogy , it is kind of nice to see that there is an emotional reason for Park to chose her latest "book" based on Kino 20...My take is that this Kino scene happens sometime in the middle of "Life", leading to her choice.

What Kino scene are you referring to? It wasn't in the show, is there a link?

Angel1964
November 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hi there is a sub-thread from the general Stargate Universe forum link called Stargate Universe KINO - SGU Beyond the episodes, that is really well maintained with the latest links - alternatively you can get there from the general Stargate MGM website http://stargate.mgm.com/browse/videos/index.html

major davis
November 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM

James seems like a good book to read. If I was Scott I would read her over several times. Much better Book than Chloe is. Chloe is a weak book. James or Tamara would be my pick.

natyanayaki
November 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi there is a sub-thread from the general Stargate Universe forum link called Stargate Universe KINO - SGU Beyond the episodes, that is really well maintained with the latest links - alternatively you can get there from the general Stargate MGM website http://stargate.mgm.com/browse/videos/index.html

Thank you so much! :)

You know, maybe they should include more of those scenes rather than the Earth stuff...hmmm...

Eternal Density
November 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Vanessa's book is in braille.

nx01a
November 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Compared to these people, Sam and Jack are illiterate.

Eternal Density
November 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Compared to these people, Sam and Jack are illiterate.They don't read, they communicate in semaphore from opposite sides of a canyon.

BTW, this thread got a mention in the Podcast :D

Jper
November 29th, 2009, 01:53 AM
They don't read, they communicate in semaphore from opposite sides of a canyon.

Makes me think of that Red Bull commercial with the two native lovers. :D

Eternal Density
November 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Makes me think of that Red Bull commercial with the two native lovers. :DWhat's a commercial?

Oh, right, those adversisingy things that exist in other people's world :P

Anyhow, Park may run into trouble if she reads and discards all the titles available. And Scott may get fined for his overdue loan. I guess we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

nx01a
November 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I'm more concerned about the condition in which she returns her books. She can't just ignore them and leave them lying around and expect them to be in good condition. She obviously doesn't care for them. She could break their spines if she keeps this up.

Iffy
November 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm waiting to see which books Park decides to re-read.

nx01a
November 29th, 2009, 09:10 AM
All those dog-eared, well-turned pages...
I wonder if she's the kind of reader who just skips to the end?

Jper
November 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm waiting to see which books Park decides to re-read.

I'm hoping, guessing Greer. :)

natyanayaki
November 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm hoping, guessing Greer. :)

Since Greer is a main character, probably. But I hope it doesn't turn into a mushy, romantic, angsty pairing the show has enough of those. They should remain friends with benefits, it would be interesting to see how that would play out, and what would happen if both or one of them should move on to have something more serious with other people.

Jper
November 29th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Since Greer is a main character, probably. But I hope it doesn't turn into a mushy, romantic, angsty pairing the show has enough of those. They should remain friends with benefits, it would be interesting to see how that would play out, and what would happen if both or one of them should move on to have something more serious with other people.

No, that's why I like Greer/Park... Nothing too romantic, or mushy or whatever. However, I don't want them to move on to others, I want them to gradually grow towards each other, maybe. :) Friends with benefits is nice enough for the first season though. :D

natyanayaki
November 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
No, that's why I like Greer/Park... Nothing too romantic, or mushy or whatever. However, I don't want them to move on to others, I want them to gradually grow towards each other, maybe. :) Friends with benefits is nice enough for the first season though. :D

Hehe, I don't want them to gradually grow towards each other. Nothing against either character, I love Greer, and I like Park (and I like both the actors), but I think it would be interesting to have a sexual paring that never turn romantic, if that makes sense? I think it would also be realistic in the situation, for people to be hook-up buddies, without forming romantic attachments. but I'm sure it will turn into romance, that's so common on television, and these writers seem unable to stop themselves from following TV norms :(

Jper
November 29th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hehe, I don't want them to gradually grow towards each other. Nothing against either character, I love Greer, and I like Park (and I like both the actors), but I think it would be interesting to have a sexual paring that never turn romantic, if that makes sense? I think it would also be realistic in the situation, for people to be hook-up buddies, without forming romantic attachments. but I'm sure it will turn into romance, that's so common on television, and these writers seem unable to stop themselves from following TV norms :(

Growing towards each other doesn't mean there should be a romance thing. Believe me. Been there. :)

natyanayaki
November 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Growing towards each other doesn't mean there should be a romance thing. Believe me. Been there. :)

Then what do you mean, that they'd be friends with benefits, but then eventually become really good platonic friends? I'd like that as well...btw, I'm not attacking you, just curious :). I guess I wouldn't want them to become a couple, personally. If they went there, if it gave Greer more screen-time, I wouldn't mind it, I just want something a little more innovative from the writers...LOL!

UniGater
November 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I think the most avid reader is the female that was being interviewed by TJ about how she relieves her stress on the ship. ;)

Phenom
November 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
God I avoided this thread for days thinking you guys were discussing books. Never heard of reading being slang for....well Park and Scott's favourite pastime.

The booty call count is certainly starting to get up there. But I just wonder if they make it to season 10 who will be the one to give Eli a charity shag?? At the moment its like he is at the Playboy Mansion but can't pick up.

Skydiver
November 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Let's remember folks to keep this fun and light...and not descend into being crude and mean.

Jper
November 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Then what do you mean, that they'd be friends with benefits, but then eventually become really good platonic friends? I'd like that as well...btw, I'm not attacking you, just curious :). I guess I wouldn't want them to become a couple, personally. If they went there, if it gave Greer more screen-time, I wouldn't mind it, I just want something a little more innovative from the writers...LOL!

Friends with benefits, becoming exclusive friends with benefits, so only them, and being good friends, as growing towards each other, but not in a romance/romantic way, but in a friendship way. :) I don't know if I would say platonic. Platonic has a meaning to it, I don't like here.

And I know you're not attacking, don't worry. I'm not attacking you eiter. :) We're good!

I think the most avid reader is the female that was being interviewed by TJ about how she relieves her stress on the ship. ;)

You mean Lisa Park? She was "the female that was being interviewed by TJ about how she relieves her stress on the ship." :)

natyanayaki
November 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Friends with benefits, becoming exclusive friends with benefits, so only them, and being good friends, as growing towards each other, but not in a romance/romantic way, but in a friendship way. :) I don't know if I would say platonic. Platonic has a meaning to it, I don't like here.

And I know you're not attacking, don't worry. I'm not attacking you eiter. :) We're good!

I'd be OK with that. By platonic, I mean not romantic. And by friends with benefits, I'd mean friends who eventually love each other in a non-romantic way, but happen to frak.

Jper
November 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'd be OK with that. By platonic, I mean not romantic. And by friends with benefits, I'd mean friends who eventually love each other in a non-romantic way, but happen to frak.

The problem is that is a very dangerous thing, situation. I lost one of my best friends like that. She was great, but once we got in that situation... Did not work out well. I loved her, still do, and she probably has the same feelings, but then what's romantic and what's not? It's harder than you think. You get further and further into it, and afterwards you realize you went where you didn't want to go in the first place. Not the sex, but the closeness and all. I mean what's the difference between really close and good friends, with benefits, and romantic lovers in the end? In many ways, it was much more what I expected. In that way she was really the one I would have wanted to spent the rest of my life, while we never had the really romantic-mushy thing. She could have been "the one", only we never started out, or ended it in that manner. :)

Anyway, that's why I would like it. For me it would feel real and it would create huge opportunities for some great B-plots. I was hoping TJ/Young would go that way as well, but you know, don't see it turning out like that now. Not anymore.

nx01a
November 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Park, I'd say, reads when she's under stress. Scott seems to enjoy reading all the time. Why does he read? For the same reason people climb mountains: they're there.

natyanayaki
November 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
The problem is that is a very dangerous thing, situation. I lost one of my best friends like that. She was great, but once we got in that situation... Did not work out well. I loved her, still do, and she probably has the same feelings, but then what's romantic and what's not? It's harder than you think. You get further and further into it, and afterwards you realize you went where you didn't want to go in the first place. Not the sex, but the closeness and all. I mean what's the difference between really close and good friends, with benefits, and romantic lovers in the end? In many ways, it was much more what I expected. In that way she was really the one I would have wanted to spent the rest of my life, while we never had the really romantic-mushy thing. She could have been "the one", only we never started out, or ended it in that manner. :)

Anyway, that's why I would like it. For me it would feel real and it would create huge opportunities for some great B-plots. I was hoping TJ/Young would go that way as well, but you know, don't see it turning out like that now. Not anymore.

I agree with that, those complications would be interesting. But romantic, I mean in the traditional couple sense of the word. I think we're on a similar page. I do think they could work as friends with benefits who remain friends without the benefits, because of the situation they were thrown in (unless we later find out that they have history). I guess my point is, despite what television tells us, two people who do the deed don't have to eventually become a couple, and I think it would be nice if the writers went down that road instead of making them a "couple." It would also be interesting to find out if Greer or Park have a significant other at home.

Regarding the other scholar, Scott, I really don't understand why Chloe and James see in him...

Jper
November 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I agree with that, those complications would be interesting. But romantic, I mean in the traditional couple sense of the word. I think we're on a similar page.

Oh we are probably pretty much on the same page.

However, just now, I would like to point out, that people always use the word "romantic", but it (for them) has lots of different meanings and all.

Me personally, am totally lost what it really means most of the time. You have the context, and I understand how when you're watching a love-comedy, a romantic comedy, or a romance, or whatever, that certain elements, can be considered romantic by some... However, isn't it interesting that sometimes it can totally not be? And it would also differ from person to person. No?

Like for example, naming a star after someone? Romantic?
Giving someone flowers? Romantic?
Having sex? Romantic?
Hugging? Romantic?
Watching a 'romantic' movie?
Watching the stars?
Kissing?
etc.

You can be really close to someone, without it being romantic? Right? Even for friends with benefits? Then there's what I mean with growing... You grow close to each other. It becomes exclusive. You start depending on each other. You trust each other. You share. Not only the good, but also the bad. You are there for each other. etc.
Romantic?

A lot of elements that can make a relationship, and even a marriage are there. However, none of it should be romantic? Yes? No?

Just something to think about I think. Something, I might add, SG's TPTB have been able to create sometimes maybe, but mostly it has gone wrong with either too much or not enough. Not really surprising though, as it already isn't easy in real life, can't be easy to get it on screen.

Or should TV really be an idealized image, or fantasy, depicting life as it should be, or is in an utopia, or fantasy-world. As to escape this one? As to be entertained? Then it also depends of course by what you are entertained I suppose. :)

natyanayaki
November 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I agree with you, which is why I do think we're on the same page. I just think in this day and sex=doesn't have to equal romance it doesn't have to equal love. In fact, my biggest problem with the Scott and Chloe, wasn't that they slept together, it was that I felt like I was watching a "love" scene rather than a "sex" scene and I felt that it was too soon in the series, and too soon in terms of how long they knew each other for that to occur. I just think that in television, when a couple sleeps together, it's either because they're already in romantic-couple love, or that they'll eventually become a romantic couple (again in the traditional, soap opera, romantic movie sense), and I don't think that it's always applicable to today's society, especially today's US society.

So yeah, we're on the same page. I guess we're talking about friends with benefits vs. lovers. Now, in both scenarios the individuals involved could love each other, but there's a different feeling about the love. For instance, Gertrude could love Bob with all her heart, and they may be share physical benefits with each other, but we're not a romantic couple...they're just 2 people who love each other, who happen to sleep together, as opposed to Rose and Ramon who may not love each other, but share a chemistry which lead to a romance in the traditional sense, that includes a type of courtship, and they also sleep with each other but because of the chemistry, they're lovers.

Do I make sense?

Eta, I want to mention that as far as i know Gertrude, Bob, Rose and Ramon are figments of my imagination...

Jper
November 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with you, which is why I do think we're on the same page. I just think in this day and sex=doesn't have to equal romance it doesn't have to equal love. In fact, my biggest problem with the Scott and Chloe, wasn't that they slept together, it was that I felt like I was watching a "love" scene rather than a "sex" scene and I felt that it was too soon in the series, and too soon in terms of how long they knew each other for that to occur. I just think that in television, when a couple sleeps together, it's either because they're already in romantic-couple love, or that they'll eventually become a romantic couple (again in the traditional, soap opera, romantic movie sense), and I don't think that it's always applicable to today's society, especially today's US society.

So yeah, we're on the same page. I guess we're talking about friends with benefits vs. lovers. Now, in both scenarios the individuals involved could love each other, but there's a different feeling about the love. For instance, Gertrude could love Bob with all her heart, and they may be share physical benefits with each other, but we're not a romantic couple...they're just 2 people who love each other, who happen to sleep together, as opposed to Rose and Ramon who may not love each other, but share a chemistry which lead to a romance in the traditional sense, that includes a type of courtship, and they also sleep with each other but because of the chemistry, they're lovers.

Do I make sense?

Oh, sure you make sense. I just hope I make as much sense as you do...

However, you might have seen a tradition sex-scene between Chloe and Scott, what I saw was not a traditional sex-scene, or a traditional love-scene. To me it felt much more like a way for searching comfort, closeness, etc. again. And there's the sex doesn't necessarily equals romantic-love issue again. :)

Also, I don't think that in its context it was too soon. It might, it was hard for us, as we knew and know, etc that they were going to live and all, it probably was completely different for them. I have come to terms with that. :)

And indeed, you named, pointed out, the traditional problem, or way things are done. To me, it now seems as if TPTB don't know, or don't want to decided where to go with things, traditional or not. Which I might add, is rather realistic. :)

There's nothing really classic/traditional about this reverse-way of doing this, with Chloe and Scott, is there? You have the classic romantic-elements possibly, but shouldn't this Scott-having-a-child problem/item/thing be the first really obvious indicator that this isn't a real relationship until now, that they have done the sex and love thing first, but now have to deal with the actual relationship part?

natyanayaki
November 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Oh, sure you make sense. I just hope I make as much sense as you do...

However, you might have seen a tradition sex-scene between Chloe and Scott, what I saw was not a traditional sex-scene, or a traditional love-scene. To me it felt much more like a way for searching comfort, closeness, etc. again. And there's the sex doesn't necessarily equals romantic-love issue again. :)

Also, I don't think that in its context it was too soon. It might, it was hard for us, as we knew and know, etc that they were going to live and all, it probably was completely different for them. I have come to terms with that. :)

And indeed, you named, pointed out, the traditional problem, or way things are done. To me, it now seems as if TPTB don't know, or don't want to decided where to go with things, traditional or not. Which I might add, is rather realistic. :)

There's nothing really classic/traditional about this reverse-way of doing this, with Chloe and Scott, is there? You have the classic romantic-elements possibly, but shouldn't this Scott-having-a-child problem/item/thing be the first really obvious indicator that this isn't a real relationship until now, that they have done the sex and love thing first, but now have to deal with the actual relationship part?

You do make sense.

Regarding Chloe and Scott, I meant the scene specifically because to me 2 people gaining comfort, or 2 people acting out of their mutual attraction is depicted differently. I found the way it was edited, the music, the presentation, to suggest something that IMO they it was too early for their relationship. So like I said, it's not the they slept together, it was the presentation, and the feeling I got from the presentation of that particular scene, adding the fact that in the Kinosode, Scott called Chloe his girlfriend, the holding hands, the feeling I got didn't feel right with the time-line. But again, these are my opinions, but I think there wasn't enough time or development between the 2 of them to get the kind of writing they're already getting.

Jper
November 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
You do make sense.

Regarding Chloe and Scott, I meant the scene specifically because to me 2 people gaining comfort, or 2 people acting out of their mutual attraction is depicted differently. I found the way it was edited, the music, the presentation, to suggest something that IMO they it was too early for their relationship. So like I said, it's not the they slept together, it was the presentation, and the feeling I got from the presentation of that particular scene, adding the fact that in the Kinosode, Scott called Chloe his girlfriend, the holding hands, the feeling I got didn't feel right with the time-line. But again, these are my opinions, but I think there wasn't enough time or development between the 2 of them to get the kind of writing they're already getting.

Yeah, it's the duality that's getting to you. And that I understand completely. There are imho two things that do need mentioning in that regard. First of all there's the thing where they might be fooling themselves and each other, subconsciously or not. Like they are pretending, believing to be something they are not. Like a crush, the jolly-of-love thing that happens. :) And secondly, like I said, TPTB are walking this fine line of having this duality later playing out realistically (hopefully) combined with the fact that they might want to keep this like this as to support several views, opinions, and also their own indecisiveness, or deliberatively created fuzzy-ness.

(About the time and development) And maybe that's just the point? They have this short of development, while the background is missing, which possibly has now (with the Scott's child thing) caught up or will catch up with them later. It's that and the fact that this is being typically stargate again, with the possibility of a lot of supposedly character-development off-screen and all.

natyanayaki
November 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it's the duality that's getting to you. And that I understand completely. There are imho two things that do need mentioning in that regard. First of all there's the thing where they might be fooling themselves and each other, subconsciously or not. Like they are pretending, believing to be something they are not. Like a crush, the jolly-of-love thing that happens. :) And secondly, like I said, TPTB are walking this fine line of having this duality later playing out realistically (hopefully) combined with the fact that they might want to keep this like this as to support several views, opinions, and also their own indecisiveness, or deliberatively created fuzzy-ness.

(About the time and development) And maybe that's just the point? They have this short of development, while the background is missing, which possibly has now (with the Scott's child thing) caught up or will catch up with them later. It's that and the fact that this is being typically stargate again, with the possibility of a lot of supposedly character-development off-screen and all.

There is that odd duality, and of course I don't know where the writers are going with this. I don't fully trust the writers, not because I have anything against them, but this is so far from their normal writing style, that I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off in a way that I would be satisfied. The reason I'm watching, however, is because I hope I am satisfied and I hope I won't be disappointed. And just to be clear (since I'm so often not) I do like the show, if I didn't I wouldn't be watching, I just wish the balance and the focus of the show would shift. At this point, it feels like we're seeing much more of Earth than of Destiny. I mean, for us to honestly be able to answer who is the more avid reader, I think we'd need more scenes aboard the ship, and I think switching in some of the Kinosodes onto the show, shortening some of the Earth-based scenes, would be awesome! I don't think we should need the Earth scene to learn about these characters, or see their development, their interactions, their emotions while aboard the Destiny, should be enough.

Jper
December 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
There is that odd duality, and of course I don't know where the writers are going with this. I don't fully trust the writers, not because I have anything against them, but this is so far from their normal writing style, that I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off in a way that I would be satisfied. The reason I'm watching, however, is because I hope I am satisfied and I hope I won't be disappointed. And just to be clear (since I'm so often not) I do like the show, if I didn't I wouldn't be watching, I just wish the balance and the focus of the show would shift. At this point, it feels like we're seeing much more of Earth than of Destiny. I mean, for us to honestly be able to answer who is the more avid reader, I think we'd need more scenes aboard the ship, and I think switching in some of the Kinosodes onto the show, shortening some of the Earth-based scenes, would be awesome! I don't think we should need the Earth scene to learn about these characters, or see their development, their interactions, their emotions while aboard the Destiny, should be enough.

Good points. Well said. :) Let's see how things pan out in the second half of the first season. :)