PDA

View Full Version : Which character sold this ep or shined for you in "Life"

Briangate78
November 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Wanted to try something new, hopefully this is ok to merit it's own thread. As we know SGU is a character driven series. These eps that we have come to seen, 9 so far have various character moments and one or two characters truly sell the episode or have a moment that just makes us say "Wow".

Anyway, for "Life" I think the award goes to Col Young. I felt Young showed his darker side in this episode and his flaws. I loved his continue efforts to keep spying on Rush because he clearly does not trust him.

Kicking the crap out of Telford in the end was a pretty cool moment as well.

Anyway your thoughts to who sold this episode or was the shining character?

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Young definitely shone, trying to attack Telford at home and then beating the tar out of him.

I also thought this was a pretty excellent episode for Scott, who's been rather unsympathetic for a while now.

Coronach
November 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Wanted to try something new, hopefully this is ok to merit it's own thread. As we know SGU is a character driven series. These eps that we have come to seen, 9 so far have various character moments and one or two characters truly sell the episode or have a moment that just makes us say "Wow".

Anyway, for "Life" I think the award goes to Col Young. I felt Young showed his darker side in this episode and his flaws. I loved his continue efforts to keep spying on Rush because he clearly does not trust him.

I'd say it was the joint portrayal of Camile and Sharon. I loved seeing the vulnerable side of Camile again, which was contrasted wonderfully by how strong and supportive Sharon was trying to be for her. It really hit home, though, when we saw Sharon break down when she was alone again. You can tell it's just as hard for her, but she's trying to be strong for Camile. All of those scenes were done just wonderfully, and the actresses (as well as the writers) should be proud.

Inquisitor
November 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Team effort :) I think everyone wanted to see Telford receive a whack on the face. The last scene was amusing, haha.

PG15
November 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'd say it was the joint portrayal of Camile and Sharon. I loved seeing the vulnerable side of Camile again, which was contrasted wonderfully by how strong and supportive Sharon was trying to be for her. It really hit home, though, when we saw Sharon break down when she was alone again. You can tell it's just as hard for her, but she's trying to be strong for Camile. All of those scenes were done just wonderfully, and the actresses (as well as the writers) should be proud.

Agreed 147%.

Those few snippets of scenes during the montage were perfect; they were tiny scenes; just regular stuff; and yet, within context of this show, they meant so much. Loved seeing Wray and Sharon just cooking, gossiping, and having fun together, both forgetting, perhaps for only an instant, the realities of the situation.

Those two were great. :D

Young was Awesome tonight too. I'm not only talking about the Telford Knockout, but also the slow build up from the start to finish towards that point. Really, the man seemed to be ready to snap after being jolted out of that Stone Session.

Fjord
November 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I actually loved Camille's scenes with Sharon. I was expecting it to be a cheesy portrayal of a lesbian relationship, but it turned out to be (atleast to me) quite well written. I also loved the way Scott responded to the news about having a son, although this seemed a tad bit predictable to me.

major davis
November 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Col young and Scott sold it for me. Spencer and Franklin did too. Camille was ok. Telford=jerk. However young is kinda a hypocrite. Whatev. :p

MattSilver 3k
November 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
They all did somewhat, though my favourites were Young, TJ, Scott and Camille. Young for kicking Telford's ass, TJ for just being supportive and cute, Scott for his potential for change as given by this revelation, and Camille for... just showing a more human side we briefly got a glimpse of in Light.

ckwongau
November 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM
for me the best moment was from Dr Lisa Park
She is a minor character, her briefy scene actually was quite good.
I am going respectly discuss her situation and i suggest everyone do the same

We saw her together with one of the marine(or air men) in a intimate situation,then later when the same marine try to say hi or something , she ignore him .
During the psy session when TJ ask how she cope with stress
Lisa said
I read
At the end of the episode she was seen with Seg Greer in another intermite situation.

I think when 80 people trap onboard a spaceship, people are going to get toghter .Not everyone can be like Scott and Chole , publicly holding hands or get too serious .

Call it casual sex or booty call or whatever .I think Dr Lisa park actually show us how lonely the crew can get and need a little fun.

The other thing about the episode that get my attention was Camile Wray 's day at home with her girlfriend.
We saw her kissing ,but how far did it went.I don't have any problem with lesbian couple.
but if Camile had sex with her partner in that body , the she violated that young women's body just like Col Young violated Telford.
Spoiler said
some scientist in Camile body will have sex with someone onboard Destiny
Two wrong doesn't make it right , and are the writer setting Camile to be a lesser victim because she committed the same crime as well.I don't believe in lesser victim , only equal victim and abuser become victim.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
young

put spencer in his place and gave teleford what for

Sifr
November 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Lisa Park, definitely shone for a minor character. It definitely made me laugh that how the Marine and Greer thing was done the exact same way, right down to the hairflick. Someone has got her booty-calling down to an art!

I expect a minor punch up between the lads within a week...

And Young shone at the end of the episode, kicking four shades of tar out of Telford, the look he gave him just before he had the Stones severed was totally asking for some kind of retribution. (Although, personally, I'd have also just shot him when he was on the ground).

Rush again shone trying to keep people on that ship from going Loco by giving them a little bit of hope, he's quite right too, they all were far happier before they found out it was a fake. Young however needs to let up out of his face about Destiny though, with Telford causing hassle for the ship on Earth, and Wray and the IOA cabal having some hidden agenda, and Rush just trying to keep the bucket of bolts flying, he needs to start co-operating with... well... be honest, Rush is probably the smartest guy on the ship.

Matt's sidestory was very well done, it did make him a far more sympathetic character than he's been uptil now... although the so called "Special Chloe Scene" the producers tried to show off was no more than that damn Emo-Bridge where the characters tend to go to get all emotional... isn't there anywhere else on the ship?

garhkal
November 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM

We saw her together with one of the marine(or air men) in a intimate situation,then later when the same marine try to say hi or something , she ignore him .

That was Greer. Lucky bugger!

Rush again shone trying to keep people on that ship from going Loco by giving them a little bit of hope, he's quite right too, they all were far happier before they found out it was a fake.

Agreed. heck i even understood Rushes reasoning, since it was the same young gave for having that big all hands call just after the others got kicked off in Earth.

solar wind
November 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure yet how much I like Col. Young. Though it was great seeing him beat Telford. Pretty much Ely shines in every episode for me.
It was a good epi for Scott.

AnnieS
November 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM
young

put spencer in his place and gave teleford what for

I totally agree. He may be smaller than both these guys. But he Kicked both their butts!!!

Col.Foley
November 21st, 2009, 12:28 AM
Scott and Young.

And Eli at the end. LOL

eonflux
November 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
^^ This

Jeff-B
November 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
To me, it's just amazing how well Young is keeping it together, at least on the ship. He gets a little snippy occasionally, but nowhere near as badly as most people would handle his situation. The thing that most makes me impatient for the next episode is the fact that it's obvious that Spencer is out of pills and he's going to snap. And in the first episodes, everyone thought Greer was going to be the loose cannon.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM

Indeed. This was actually the only time I liked the use of the stones.

kaliel
November 21st, 2009, 03:08 AM
I think, for me, it was a tie between Camille and Young, simply because they were the characters that were explored the most, and that character development is exactly what the show needs to get on it's feet.

MechaThor
November 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
I think Franklin took the show this week. With Young in second place. I just don't know why but one of the biggest treats for me was seeing Franklin smile at the end of the episode after seeing his first little sapling, especially after all the Spencer stuff he had to go through. Volkner also made me laugh when he gave up on the running.

AndSoItBegins
November 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM
All the characters shined. I liked the stuff with Camille and Young and the bits with Lisa Park. Her way of dealing with stress is realistic but wouldn't have been portrayed on any other mainstream sci fi show. Spencer's storyline was interesting too. But the best scene to me was TJ's talk with Greer. Starting immediately after the commercials ended and Walker's choice of speaking with a low voice may have caused many to not exactly pick up on what Greer said. But I rewatched it three times to take it all in and the first 20 seconds is riveting. Great dialogue and even a greater delivery from JWS, who is still being criminally underused, made his speech chill me to the bone.

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Team effort :) I think everyone wanted to see Telford receive a whack on the face. The last scene was amusing, haha.

I don't get why everyone is angry with Telford,, I mean it takes 2 to tango and it seems to me that Emily is just as guilty as Telford (although she's saying nothing happened between them)

So I say smack down Emily as well!

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
I actually loved Camille's scenes with Sharon. I was expecting it to be a cheesy portrayal of a lesbian relationship, but it turned out to be (atleast to me) quite well written. I also loved the way Scott responded to the news about having a son, although this seemed a tad bit predictable to me.

Ming did some good acting and so did her parnter,

Scott's character was a bit better than the other episodes but still he comes across to me as "forced". I have a very hard time buying his character, just doesn't seem real at all.

Young was better also,

My fave part/line when he tells Rush to go sit in the chair and then says (paraphrasing) "I didn't think so". That was the best moment last night.

Although it was an enjoyable episode, to me it felt like a regular type tv drama show with very little SciFi feeling to it.

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 06:01 AM
Young, Scott being shown in a more sympathetic light and Eli at the end, in the shuttle with Scott.

MediaSavant
November 21st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Her way of dealing with stress is realistic but wouldn't have been portrayed on any other mainstream sci fi show.

Her way of dealing with stress gave me flashbacks to the Peacekeepers on Farscape (as explained by Claudia Black's Aeryn). For those who didn't watch that show, it was revealed that the miltaristic, "raised to be soldiers" Peacekeepers were encouraged to "recreate" with as many other soldiers as they needed to. They just weren't allowed to develop relationships. A good part of Aeryn's character appeal was seeing her shed her training and develop a real relationship.

Park would make a good Peacekeeper.

To answer, Briangate's question, I think there were a lot of really good character moments--short and long. During the montages, I found myself rewinding a few of them. Even tiny ones, like Franklin's plant peeking through the dirt, were interesting and important to the evolution of life on the ship.

The ship isn't just a thing. It's a thing with a community of people building within it. Like all small towns, there are a whole bunch of different personalities with different issues.

Young definitely has problems keeping his emotions in check. His reaction to Telford's manipulation of his wife was definitely understanding, but we all know that the military still won't look kindly on what he did.

Did Rush lie to give people hope--as Adama did at the beginning of BSG when he told survivors they would find Earth even though he didn't believe it existed? Or does he have more nefarious reasons? He continues to baffle.

Scott's discovery after his visit to his old girlfriend was very well handled.

The little scene between Greer and TJ was really good. Any scene with Greer is good, actually.

Asgard4eva
November 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM

This girl

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/Linda0606/Stargate%20Universe/Season%201/Air%20part%201/Airpart1157.jpg

Yes I enjoy the idea of having two opposing topdog characters like Telford and Young but I'm not sure I like the way its played out. I feel its too drama driven and know its going to end with a train wreck
Some characters worked well but Alaina Huffman wins
I really liked huffman's role as tamara johansen, it was one of the first times we really saw her being more than a typical medic and that whole psych test bit really helped bring out the story of the Destiny and help the minor characters fill out more

Maxum
November 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Young definitely.

Actually, him hitting Telford at the end was the least interesting thing to me, although justified in my opinion. What made Young shine in this episode was how he handled himself on board Destiny, and why I think he's the best commander.

First, he knew that the crew was getting antsy. So he made sure that everyone was kept in good physical shape, and exercise is good for stress. Secondly, he also knew to find out more about everyone on board. So he asked TJ to begin psych evals for all on board. Smart moves.

He was also there to put Spencer (was that his name?) in his place when he started to lose it with one of the other passengers. Young slammed him up against the wall and made sure he understood who was boss.

Lastly, his interactions with Rush was fantastic. These two characters, imo, drive SGU. They're the Jack and Locke of SGU. Their animosity and underlying respect makes all their scenes together crackle with drama and excitement. I like how Young, once again, showed why he is a good commander. Yes, he knows the chair is a great find, and he has instructed Rush to do whatever he can to find the access codes, but he's not about to stick someone in the chair until they know more about it. Young calling Rush's bluff was pure win.

The other stuff with Telford and his wife was icing on the cake.

erotavlas
November 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Lisa Park! - because she decided to break free and have some fun while also helping the other crew to cope LOL

Azzers
November 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Scott, definitely. But I'm not big on the anti-Armstrong or anti-Scott sentiment anyway. To me, Scott has always been a down to earth, Catholic man who doesn't quite live the way he thinks he should and has issues because of it.

I mean, he's good looking so his manner with women isn't exactly shocking or unrealistic. Wow, a good looking guy has no problem getting with women and has developed a decent manner when speaking with them. How's that possible? He also doesn't particularly attach to them because *shock* it requires little or no effort on his part to establish a relationship.

To me, every time they show the consequences will be gold. I don't think of him as a bad guy. I just think of him as the same way I think of extremely attractive women who simply "coast" through large portions of young life. And as a result, he has the power to destroy people without really thinking about it. So when we find out that he has a child, and to see that hit him exactly like it should, it's great to watch. If he grows, bonus.

syfygal47
November 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
I really liked Camille. This episode really showed her back story. I thought it was handled very skillfully.

Azzers
November 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I really liked Camille. This episode really showed her back story. I thought it was handled very skillfully.

That's probably the best description for it. I actually was sitting there going, "if they handle her back story wrong, we're never going to hear the end of it." I liked that she just seemed extremely human in her relationship. There was nothing fantastic about it.

Phenom
November 23rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
I have read many valid points in this thread so far, however there is a giant elephant in the thread that is just sitting there....waiting to trump all the arguments mentioned about other characters.

This elephant goes by the name of ......... Yoga scene.

The rest of the ep after that was kind of a blur to me sorry. Something about Young punching someone and Rush finding a comfy recliner that he really wanted to sit in but nobody would let him.

Nemises
November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Chloe's yoga session which lasted 5 second :lol:

Phenom
November 23rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Chloe's yoga session which lasted 5 second :lol:

Some of the best times of my life have lasted 5 seconds....

Some times they last even longer :D

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
This girl

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/Linda0606/Stargate%20Universe/Season%201/Air%20part%201/Airpart1157.jpg

Yes I enjoy the idea of having two opposing topdog characters like Telford and Young but I'm not sure I like the way its played out. I feel its too drama driven and know its going to end with a train wreck
Some characters worked well but Alaina Huffman wins
I really liked huffman's role as tamara johansen, it was one of the first times we really saw her being more than a typical medic and that whole psych test bit really helped bring out the story of the Destiny and help the minor characters fill out more

Of the main characters, I've consistently liked TJ a lot. :cameron: The psych evaluations were definitely a good way to bring out some of the secondary characters in "Life." TJ's responses to each of them was interesting and showed a lot about her as much as the people she interviewed. Her compassion and empathy for people blends in well with a side of her that's consistent with the get-it-done-and-kick-ass military aspect of her personality. It's really great to watch her. :sheppard:

Speaking of the psych evaluations, Volker I think is going through an interesting journey this season. He's indicated that he's near the end of his rope on the ship. With news that the naquadria-rich planet being another Rush hoax, I think we're going to see him gradually lose it as this season progresses...as in really go bananas.

Spoilers for "Pain" below:
By the time we get to "Pain" it looks like Volker's going to go through something rather violent. This link (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_1.17_%22Pain%22_Episode_Guide) shows some production notes about "Pain." Now this page reveals virtually none of the plot information so nobody really knows the specifics of what's supposed to happen, but if you look at the final two bulleted items in the production notes, you get this:

"Gold star for @PatrickGilmore today. Great, creepy, unsettling work." — Carl Binder, Twitter (September 10, 2009)
"Thanks to @cpbinder for the 'Pain' & the gold star. Crazy last day of the episode. Bruised forehead & an exciting #SGU episode to prove it." — Patrick Gilmore, Twitter (September 10, 2009)

Words like "creepy" and "unsettling" are definitely words that I wouldn't associate with the way Volker is in "Life." The fact that he ends up with a bruised forehead at the end of "Pain" and the way Gilmore's performance is described says something about what's coming. :eek:

MattSilver 3k
November 23rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Spoilers for "Pain" below:
By the time way get to "Pain" it looks like Volker's going to go through something rather violent. This link (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_1.17_%22Pain%22_Episode_Guide) shows some production notes about "Pain." Now this page reveals virtually none of the plot information so nobody really knows the specifics of what's supposed to happen, but if you look at the final two bulleted items in the production notes, you get this:

"Gold star for @PatrickGilmore today. Great, creepy, unsettling work." — Carl Binder, Twitter (September 10, 2009)
"Thanks to @cpbinder for the 'Pain' & the gold star. Crazy last day of the episode. Bruised forehead & an exciting #SGU episode to prove it." — Patrick Gilmore, Twitter (September 10, 2009)

Words like "creepy" and "unsettling" are definitely words that I wouldn't associate with the way Volker is in "Life." The fact that he ends up with a bruised forehead at the end of "Pain" and the way Gilmore's performance is described says something about what's coming. :eek:

Holy - I never put this scene and those spoilers together! Wow, that sounds like some fun!

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Holy - I never put this scene and those spoilers together! Wow, that sounds like some fun!

Yeah, it's going to be interesting for Volker. He reminds me of a friend I met about 10 years ago--mainly because of the sportscoat and vest. The thing is that guy I knew was as unassuming as Volker is right now. To see someone who behaves like that gradually move towards what we're likely to see in "Pain" will be :eek:!

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
I also thought this was a pretty excellent episode for Scott, who's been rather unsympathetic for a while now.
Finally Scott gets to do something besides shoot things (or variations of it, such as almost shoot things) or bone chicks. And he finally had to deal with the consequences of his past indiscretions, like normal people (besides the hint that his adopted father may have drank himself to death because of Scott). I agree with you that Scott's been quite an unsympathetic character for a while now and that this episode kinda redeemed him.

<snip>

Call it casual sex or booty call or whatever .I think Dr Lisa park actually show us how lonely the crew can get and need a little fun.
It's one thing to go on a booty call. It's another to do it without telling the other party and then give them the cold shoulder the way Park did.

She's not Samantha Jones (Sex and the City). A Samantha Jones goes on booty calls and makes it perfectly clear each time that she's not looking for anything serious, that it's all just in good fun. Dr. Park seemingly did not make this clear to her "booty call". Not only that, she seemingly ignores him when he greets her the day after. That's not just making it clear it wasn't serious beforehand, that's disrespecting your former booty call for no reason afterward.

You can try to defend her all you want, she was clearly not acting responsible this episode.

The other thing about the episode that get my attention was Camile Wray 's day at home with her girlfriend.
We saw her kissing ,but how far did it went.I don't have any problem with lesbian couple.
but if Camile had sex with her partner in that body , the she violated that young women's body just like Col Young violated Telford.
Spoiler said
some scientist in Camile body will have sex with someone onboard Destiny
Two wrong doesn't make it right , and are the writer setting Camile to be a lesser victim because she committed the same crime as well.I don't believe in lesser victim , only equal victim and abuser become victim.
As far as we know, they didn't have sex. And there's no reason for the writers to not show them having sex, what with their target demographic being young males aged 18-49 (or whatever), many of whom either like or have no problem with seeing two women being intimate together and the fact that they don't exactly shy away from sex scenes. I mean, this episode alone had two of them.

So if they didn't show it, let's assume it did not happen.

Hermiiod
November 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
TJ really sold this for me. Once again she was asked to do something that she is uncomfortable with or has no background in and she came through for the crew.

Incidentally, this thread has the makings of a very fun poll

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't get why everyone is angry with Telford,, I mean it takes 2 to tango and it seems to me that Emily is just as guilty as Telford (although she's saying nothing happened between them)

So I say smack down Emily as well!
Telford most probably lied about Young still sleeping with TJ because there's no possible way for him to know that unless he somehow got a "memory burst" of Young sleeping with TJ in what could be easily identified as a room on the Destiny.

And the way Telford's has been portrayed, the PTB wants us to believe he's lying. The first thing he does after finding out about Young's wife is to get into contact with her to become "her friend" after his body was used to have sex with her (this is assume they haven't had sex since)... after he and Young had a falling out about authority. Then he keeps going over to her house, having dinner, wine, "becoming her friend", slowly getting closer to her. And then he most probably lied to her face about Young continuing his affair with TJ despite there being zero hints of this on the show and there being no possible way for him to know (unless the aforementioned thing happened).

Yeah... he's probably just an innocent bystander wanting to be her friend with no ulterior motives! That's probably why he waited until he'd gained her confidence before telling her (even if it's true, he did it only getting to know her first).

Cory Holmes
November 23rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
You can try to defend her all you want, she was clearly not acting responsible this episode.

I think that was the point, especially given the way the scene was framed and shot, with Park's "extra-curricular" activities framed around her psych session with TJ, and more especially given how it was cut when TJ asked how Park deals with stress.

Saquist
November 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
No characters ever shine in SGU...they stain....

As a result some seem brighter than others. As usual, Eli.

Girlbot
November 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I liked Telford getting hit, but Young's wife needs a bit of talking to IMO.
The part where Young tells Rush to go sit in the cahir, and Rush once again puts his cowardly foot forward.
Eli once again. I really like Eli, and maybe Young won't dismiss him next time, when he says he found something. If Young hadn't been so wrapped up in his anger, the rest of the crew might not have found out about the fake the way they did.

Saquist
November 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
That's true...but Young has done that before when he made it vocal in the Mess area that he think's Rush knew that they would survive the star.

missmobius
November 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
General O'Neill

missmobius
November 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Telford most probably lied about Young still sleeping with TJ because there's no possible way for him to know that unless he somehow got a "memory burst" of Young sleeping with TJ in what could be easily identified as a room on the Destiny.

And the way Telford's has been portrayed, the PTB wants us to believe he's lying. The first thing he does after finding out about Young's wife is to get into contact with her to become "her friend" after his body was used to have sex with her (this is assume they haven't had sex since)... after he and Young had a falling out about authority. Then he keeps going over to her house, having dinner, wine, "becoming her friend", slowly getting closer to her. And then he most probably lied to her face about Young continuing his affair with TJ despite there being zero hints of this on the show and there being no possible way for him to know (unless the aforementioned thing happened).

Yeah... he's probably just an innocent bystander wanting to be her friend with no ulterior motives! That's probably why he waited until he'd gained her confidence before telling her (even if it's true, he did it only getting to know her first).

Doesn't matter, Emily is a grown woman and if she is still married and values her vows it's up to her to NOT CHEAT on Young no matter what Telford says or does.

Also why is Young getting off so easy after having cheated on Emily?

Lightning Ducj
November 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Doesn't matter, Emily is a grown woman and if she is still married and values her vows it's up to her to NOT CHEAT on Young no matter what Telford says or does.

Agreed

I don't think he is, but the consequence of his actions are played out in the episodes so there is less backlash by the audience. Young is not really 'getting off so easy' as it's an issue in his current relationship both on Destiny and with his wife. He's taking the shots in the show, so there's less uproar from the fans

Eternal Density
November 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
TJ stood out to me: her session with Chloe gave a look into TJ's issues, just a little.

Also Rush, and the lengths he goes to, to get what he thinks is best.

majorsal
November 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM

colonel young. and i especially credit the actor (Louis Ferreira) for delivering it home for me. (side note: didn't the actor go by the name justin?)

he might not be doing everything perfect officer like (i *like* that about this series), but it sure as heck was human.

telford deserved it :samanime15:, and young's wife is starting to really tick me off. :p

Cold Fuzz
November 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
colonel young. and i especially credit the actor (Louis Ferreira) for delivering it home for me. (side note: didn't the actor go by the name justin?)

Louis Ferreira went by the stage name of Justin Louis for many years. I remember even seeing him in an episode of the Canadian series "Friday the 13th: The Series" about 20 years ago.

Ferreira's mother recently died and he decided to honor her memory by using his real name professionally. 20 years ago "Justin Louis" was a more marketable name rather than going by his Portuguese ancestry.

PG15
November 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Um...Emily wasn't cheating on Young.

jelgate
November 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM

Not yet. I fear they may be going there

jcainhaze
November 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
TJ really shined for me. She's just shiney! Young's a moron. His wife's a crazy fool and TJ is a level headed babe.

missmobius
November 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM

perhaps not yet, but if she values her marriage it would be a very stupid thing for her to be becoming "friends" with Telford.

Commander Zelix
November 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Let's say Riley sold this episode for me if you know what i mean...

Phenom
November 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM

I do recall something about if you aren't in the same state it isn't cheating....surely if you are on the other side of the universe the same applies :D

garhkal
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Care to quote a law for that?

I know with mil, it is cheating regardless of being stateside or overseas.

Jeff-B
November 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
To paraphrase, "What happens on Icarus, stays on Icarus!"

nx01a
November 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Wray, definitely. TJ also reacted nicely to the different people she was shrinking. The tech at the end of his rope, the shot tech, the asian librarian... The minor cast is all shiny!
I honestly detested the Scott and Young personal moments, well... apart from the Telford beatdown and the Eli rant, that is. Those were great.

Eternal Density
November 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I do recall something about if you aren't in the same state it isn't cheating....surely if you are on the other side of the universe the same applies :DThat idea sounds pretty stupid to me.

Phenom
November 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That idea sounds pretty stupid to me.

Christ I thought this saying was pretty common. Just one of those things that was said in jest from time to time. I certainly wasn't quoting it as part of the old testament, just stuff that blokes say sometimes.

Eternal Density
November 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Christ I thought this saying was pretty common. Just one of those things that was said in jest from time to time. I certainly wasn't quoting it as part of the old testament, just stuff that blokes say sometimes.*shrugs*
Way to overreact. Yes it's a thing blokes say in jest. What's wrong with saying it's stupid? I'm not saying you're wrong in bringing it up. I just said that the idea is pretty dumb, irrespective of you or who heard it from whom. No need to swear at me.

natyanayaki
November 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Greer and Wray always shine for me (especially Wray) and did in this episode as well. I thought TJ was pretty good, showing how overwhelmed she was, and of course the secondary characters. Best part of the episode was how little time Chloe was on. I really could do without Young, Scott or any of their drama...

But if you really think about it, Young may as well be dead as far as we now know. Maybe the writers will show a character doing this in the future, but for now, I find it extremely selfish that Young is asking Emily to stay with him. He's not there with her, or for her, he may NEVER be able to come back. If he actually loved her, truly loved her, wouldn't he let her go so she could move on with her life?

jcainhaze
November 25th, 2009, 12:53 AM
i do recall something about if you aren't in the same state it isn't cheating

awsome!!!

Phenom
November 25th, 2009, 01:50 AM
*shrugs*
Way to overreact. Yes it's a thing blokes say in jest. What's wrong with saying it's stupid? I'm not saying you're wrong in bringing it up. I just said that the idea is pretty dumb, irrespective of you or who heard it from whom. No need to swear at me.

Sorry mate I probably read too much into your post before.

I think this is our first fight. Probably time for a man hug and a beer.

gatefanjo-m
November 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I really appreciated seeing a healthy relationship in SGU for once. Wray's relationship seemed very real and unforced.
I didn't really know what to make of Scott's discovery of his son, or the following scene's with Chloe and Eli. They actually didn't make me feel anything, positive or negative. Although the last shot of him starting to cry was impressive....top marks for acting.
Disappointed in the character of Chloe. There was no need to tell Eli and it seemed to highlight her immaturity.
Young really settled into his leadership position this week, which will make next week's episode all the more interesting.
I know I'm suppose to, but I don't actually think Telford and Emily were doing anything wrong by being friends. For him to be remotely understanding after her actions in Earth is a miracle and this situation has got to be screwing her up. Everyone needs someone to talk to. However, if Telford was lying (which seems likely from Young's reaction), then that is an abuse of his power with Emily, which lies in the information he has and can continue to give her.
Park is hilarious, as always, and any snippet of her character is always a gem.
I'm glad Greer got up from his psych eval. It just made his character more intriguing.

My favourite character this episode was TJ, for her sometimes sarcastic, sometimes vunerable dealings of the evals. Her 'just a bad day' scene with Young at the end was loaded with unanswered questions.

Bloodcold
November 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Okay, I don't know about anyone else, but Greer was the man for me. He is living proof of the idea of self sacrifice, when it comes to service. He seems to have more of a Jaffa view of life than anything else. And the scene with him and TJ, that was pure Teal'c and the Jajja way of looking at things. I think that they should have a scene where we see that he was stations at the alpha site when the Jaffa and Toc'ra were there. :tealc:

hedwig
November 25th, 2009, 11:35 AM

My choice too. And what I would have said, only you said it better. :)

But my favorite character is TJ. She had a rather tough job with having to ask people about their feelings and how they were doing, and having some of them brush her off (Rush and Greer mostly). I'm really hoping they show us her backstory, since there hasn't been much of anything aside from suggestions of an affair with Young. She seems to be about the only one in the main group that hasn't been given much of a backstory yet.

gatefanjo-m
November 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm really hoping they show us her backstory, since there hasn't been much of anything aside from suggestions of an affair with Young. She seems to be about the only one in the main group that hasn't been given much of a backstory yet.

I agree. It's time to see some of that. After all we are half way through the series and she hasn't had her trip to Earth yet, as far as we have seen. Kudos to the character/actress for holding our attention, even without the backstory.

Achaja
November 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah T.J's got me in this episode - because she is there to help people and no one really cares for her, no one ask how she feels:( I also hope there will be more story about her (I'm a little Young-T.J. shipper:o);)

Angel1964
November 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah T.J's got me in this episode - because she is there to help people and no one really cares for her, no one ask how she feels:( I also hope there will be more story about her (I'm a little Young-T.J. shipper:o);)

Fully agree-that ships sails rather well for me too...:)