PDA

View Full Version : so they can't handle staying on a ship?

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I know they weren't "the right people" and got on the ship by accident, but why are they cracking so soon? In Atlantis, they were completely cut off from Earth for almost a year, with no method of communicating back. They constantly lived under threat of attack from the Wraith. In contrast, the people on the Destiny can experience Earth pretty much on demand, only have to worry about how much water and food they have, which the Destiny will take care of when it senses supplies are low. Not even the civilians on Atlantis were cracking this early. It seems to me like Young is a stronger, more heavy-handed leader, even with Rush defying him, than Dr Weir was during her first year on Atlantis, and still the people on the Destiny are beginning to crack. I guess it's just all this drama of "not the right people" that I can't understand. How could they gather so many incompetent people on a project that was as important, if not more so, than the Atlantis expedition?

ARealArchaeologist
November 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It makes a difference when you can mentally prepare for going on a mission you might not make it back anytime soon. The Atlantis team knew that they might not make it home. These people on Universe left under a very stressful situation and thought they were going home, and now they are realizing that it won't be an easy thing to get home. Make a huge difference if it your choice vs. someone else making the choice for you.

MattSilver 3k
November 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The fact that the Destinites had no idea they were going to be cut off from home compared to Atlantis' planned expedition is a major difference.

To me, at least, the LRC stones are more a torture than anything else - so they can go home for some time in somebody else's body, and then have to go back to the bloody ship that no one can control or get them home for real? With limited supplies and the ship falling apart? That's kinda a different animal than the Atlantis team, at least.

Cecil Brax
November 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I know they weren't "the right people" and got on the ship by accident, but why are they cracking so soon? In Atlantis, they were completely cut off from Earth for almost a year, with no method of communicating back. They constantly lived under threat of attack from the Wraith. In contrast, the people on the Destiny can experience Earth pretty much on demand, only have to worry about how much water and food they have, which the Destiny will take care of when it senses supplies are low. Not even the civilians on Atlantis were cracking this early. It seems to me like Young is a stronger, more heavy-handed leader, even with Rush defying him, than Dr Weir was during her first year on Atlantis, and still the people on the Destiny are beginning to crack. I guess it's just all this drama of "not the right people" that I can't understand. How could they gather so many incompetent people on a project that was as important, if not more so, than the Atlantis expedition?

I think the biggest difference here is that these people didn't know they were going on a one way trip. Most of them expected they would be going through to earth only to end up here. Going from having all the modern comforts to having to ration water and food can be a tough change for some people. Plus, they don't even have their freedom anymore as they are being told what to do by others and their only time to be free is the once in a while they get to use the stones to go back to earth.

I think under these conditions, many people would be having a rough time, especially since they didn't plan on this ever happening to them. Remember in Atlantis that everyone was given a choice to go or not to go, and they knew ahead of time it might be a one way trip.

Plus, in Atlantis they did mention that people were having a hard time with it. It just got alot less attention cause the show was about other things. They had a whole city they could try and explore where these people are couped up on a ship that right now, many sections they don't have access to. There also aren't THAT many people there. Its like being in a school where there are only 80 other people. If you make one mistake, say one wrong thing, or if someone doesn't like you it can affect how the entire group sees you leading to some rather lonely times with no choice but to wait till its over.

All of that considered, I think it is very different then Atlantis.

- CB

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Atlantis was an expedition of people going on a mission that they knew in advance might be a one-way trip--though, it was well within the realm of possibility that they might one day be able to return. And they had along at least one qualified therapist.

The people on Destiny were running into the gate expecting to emerge in the SGC and be home with their families in a day or two. Instead they're effectively marooned, having been deceived about where they were going, and appear to have no hope of ever going home. And no qualified therapist.

Detox
November 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the general consensus is, everyone on the Atlantis expedition knew that it was a one way trip. Weir made sure to remind everyone before they disembarked, and offered everyone one last chance to drop out. No one did.

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Ok the Atlantis Expedition did know what they were getting into, but everyone stepping through the gate knows the kind of risk they are taking. You would expect at least that they would only let people of firm mental faculties to step through the gate.

Also, I would argue that the Atlantis team had it even tougher psychologically since there was always the threat of the Wraith descending on Atlantis. They knew the day would come, but the uncertainty of when the attack would come and if they would even be capable of surviving it, at least to me, seems more of a psychological drain than not knowing if they can make it home. If the Destiny can still descend past the corona of a star and come out in one piece, it will not fall apart any time soon. They don't have to worry about their lives ending due to circumstances beyond their immediate control. I guess Atlantis just had people who were more willing to focus on their day-to-day jobs than worrying about getting home.

Detox
November 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ok the Atlantis Expedition did know what they were getting into, but everyone stepping through the gate knows the kind of risk they are taking. You would expect at least that they would only let people of firm mental faculties to step through the gate.

Have firm mental faculties doesn't mean you stop being human. Extraordinary circumstances can break anyone down, and I say being trapped on a starship billions of lightyears away from home with no idea on how to get back... is going to be draining on ANYONE.

They don't have to worry about their lives ending due to circumstances beyond their immediate control. I guess Atlantis just had people who were more willing to focus on their day-to-day jobs than worrying about getting home.

Everything about Destiny is beyond their control. They can't even dial the gate of their own free will. The ship chooses where they can dial.

At least on Atlantis, they had the luxury of an Alpha site. Not to mention they weren't exactly alone there. They could interact with other humans, other society.

Everyone on the Destiny is essentially alone, in a galaxy where none of their kind exists. That's really really depressing.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
cam snapped being in the oddsesy for 50 years

ARealArchaeologist
November 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
They also don't know what is out there. Or who is out there. Each planet they visit could hurt more then it helps.

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
cam snapped being in the oddsesy for 50 years

Good point. Look at Teal'c, you know he must have snapped inside but he remained calm even after learning that after wasting 50 years of his life, he would have to go back with the same age and the same sense that he wasted away his life, while everyone else goes back to their young age and General Landry comes back to life. You know that no one on the Odyssey knew they were gonna waste the rest of their lives on the ship, yet it took them a while to crack. Much more than a week.

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Big difference. In Atlantis they were all prepared to go on a mission where they may not come back, in Universe they werent. They were as far from prepared as you can get. Not surprised they are starting to crack.

Ouroboros
November 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Atlantis was the kind of show where characters crack stupid jokes to nobody when they're about to have their souls sucked out by vicious aliens, this isn't.

SBN
November 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
You can't compare this with Atlantis, as that was cheesey popcorn action show, and this is a character driven show. One has characters than are entertaining, but unrealistic. What you saw on Atlantis, that was fantasy. What you see on Destiny is reality.These are two completely different styles of telling a story, so comparing to cheese factor does not work. Ditto with all these annoying "Why don't they get Rodney?" threads.

PG15
November 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I know they weren't "the right people" and got on the ship by accident, but why are they cracking so soon? In Atlantis, they were completely cut off from Earth for almost a year, with no method of communicating back. They constantly lived under threat of attack from the Wraith.

Yep.

That was pretty unrealistic, now that I think about it.

Glad they had that little scene in The Gift with Heightmeyer though. It wasn't much, but it did give the sense that not everyone was holding up that well under the pressure.

How could they gather so many incompetent people on a project that was as important, if not more so, than the Atlantis expedition?

The mission of the Destiny crew was to figure out the 9th chevron; they weren't supposed to go through like those of the Atlantis Expedition.

Sifr
November 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I don't think they're cracking. I think they're just going a lil stir crazy being couped up, with some having a slight lean to cabin fever, there all completely different levels of the same thing.

Cracking up would be Eli naked except for a loin-cloth, crawling around the Destiny stroking a Kino thats his "precious".

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
as long as the ship can hold together and i have food ,water and people to talk to i could handle it.

and don't the occasional off world mission

eonflux
November 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
You can't compare this with Atlantis, as that was cheesey popcorn action show, and this is a character driven show. One has characters than are entertaining, but unrealistic. What you saw on Atlantis, that was fantasy. What you see on Destiny is reality.These are two completely different styles of telling a story, so comparing to cheese factor does not work. Ditto with all these annoying "Why don't they get Rodney?" threads.

That my friend was sci-fi, What this is I don't know. But it comes close crap like the hills. Maybe this should be aired on MTV. It could be a hit.

But seriously now: They need to start keep an eye on people because this can get right out of hand. If you put a bunch of people not capable being locked up or confined somehow people are going to loose it. Suicide killing other people, opening airlocks because they can't breathe. People need something to do.

The place I work at is full climate controlled but we can't open windows. All glass. Every week this colleague of mine comes in complaining he suffocating and can't breathe because he can't open a window.

Count
November 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
The problem with half the people, mostly the civilian scientists, is that they werent meant to travel offworld to the Destiny. I got the impression that most if not all of the survivors were actual Icarus Base personel, not the chosen Destiny expedition team. So some people are snapping, Spencer cause he's off his meds, obviously. Others like Chloe who were there for a short visit (She's standing up amazingly well actually).

I get the impression that the guy who was shot (Volker?) wasn't mean to go offworld and WAS meant to return to earth rather shortly after the Hammond arrived. Something in his attitude suggests he was already on his way out when **** hit the fan. TJ was in a similar situation but she's military, so she's used to crap like this. (STOP LOSS)

Giantevilhead
November 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Most humans have trouble when they can't see the sun for prolonged periods of time. Sanity is much more fragile than people think.

jhkplaya888
November 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM
In Atlantis they were able to return home, after a while. They knew return was possible. If not by gate, then long hyperspace travel. They were also mentally prepared.

Count
November 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
In Atlantis they were able to return home, after a while. They knew return was possible. If not by gate, then long hyperspace travel. They were also mentally prepared.

Actually, in Atlantis they left full well knowning they may not be able to return. Remember Weir's initial speech. Everyone was chosen and/or voulenteered for the mission so they were mentally prepared for the concept of never returning and i presume were psychologically tested before they left (Its standard proceedure on expeditions of any type).

kaliel
November 21st, 2009, 03:39 AM
The people on Atlantis knew what they were risking by stepping through the gate. They understood that there was every likelihood of being cut off, stranded in another galaxy. They chose to take that risk.

The people on Destiny chose no such thing. They were thrust into the situation with no preparation or warning. They have little supplies and a haphazard crew. In fact, many of the people expected to find themselves back on Earth when they stepped through the event horizon.
You can hardly blame them for falling to the pressure sooner than the men and women on the Atlantis expedition.

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
The people on Atlantis knew what they were risking by stepping through the gate. They understood that there was every likelihood of being cut off, stranded in another galaxy. They chose to take that risk.

The people on Destiny chose no such thing. They were thrust into the situation with no preparation or warning. They have little supplies and a haphazard crew. In fact, many of the people expected to find themselves back on Earth when they stepped through the event horizon.
You can hardly blame them for falling to the pressure sooner than the men and women on the Atlantis expedition.

Add to that the lack of training, preparedness, sunlight, limited space and poor food and you can see why people are going little crazy.

wargrafix
November 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
Because the spotty situation where everything could result in death kind of wears on the nerves a wee bit.

jhkplaya888
November 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Actually, in Atlantis they left full well knowning they may not be able to return. Remember Weir's initial speech. Everyone was chosen and/or voulenteered for the mission so they were mentally prepared for the concept of never returning and i presume were psychologically tested before they left (Its standard proceedure on expeditions of any type).

i know they were told they might not return, but lets think of it rationally. There is alot higher chance of returning then the destiny. And it is possible to return with current earth/asgard tech if they REALLY wanted to.

leanbarton
November 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
A dark ship without real fresh air and without sunlight. That'd make me go nuts.

Flyboy
November 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
That my friend was sci-fi, What this is I don't know. But it comes close crap like the hills. Maybe this should be aired on MTV. It could be a hit.

Sure it was. But just because SGU is different doesn't make it any less Sci Fi. Sci Fi comes in all forms, with cheesy B-movies like Independence Day to thought provoking explorations of the human condition like the book Brave New World.

SGU is Sci Fi. It is doing what early sci fi did before it became entirely the domain of explosions and things not being taken seriously. It is placing every day people into an extraordinary setting and using it to explore the nature of man and society. That's what classic Sci Fi does and that is why SGU will forever be Sci Fi. Because character drama is integral to the old school of science fiction.

thekillman
November 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
And it is possible to return with current earth/asgard tech if they REALLY wanted to.

the sacrifices needed would make everyone cry.

knowles2
November 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Cracking up would be Eli naked except for a loin-cloth, crawling around the Destiny stroking a Kino thats his "precious".
Give it time, people, give it time.

Personally I prefere it being earthquake girl, TJ or Chloe doing the naked thing through.

knowles2
November 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM

An yet they must of known Prometheus was being equip with a Asgard hyper-drive. So it was always just surviving long enough for Earth to come in a ship.

Rodney also knew that the 304s were being built an he had a hand in designing them so he must of known that they had the capabilities to reach Atlantis an that earth would eventually send one to rescue them.

In highn site from the viewers an certainly Rodney the longer they survive on Atlantis the more chance there is of Earth sending a to ship pick them up an bring them home. So they really did have something to aim for. The risk in the expedition was always in establishing a beach head in Atlantis an setting up a base which they could survive on. Once they done that they could off just sat an waited for earth to arrive. Instead Shepherd an gang had to go an annoy the local neighbours.

In SGU is totally different the longer it goes on the more chance there is that Earth and the IOA will cut there losses and remove support from funding an researching for a way to get them home an divert resources for more urgent projects that are more needed.
Reducing there chances of getting home to pretty low odds. Especially as the only person on that vessel who might know how to get them home, does not want to go home himself. Not yet anyhow.

Count
November 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
An yet they must of known Prometheus was being equip with a Asgard hyper-drive. So it was always just surviving long enough for Earth to come in a ship.

Rodney also knew that the 304s were being built an he had a hand in designing them so he must of known that they had the capabilities to reach Atlantis an that earth would eventually send one to rescue them.

In highn site from the viewers an certainly Rodney the longer they survive on Atlantis the more chance there is of Earth sending a to ship pick them up an bring them home. So they really did have something to aim for. The risk in the expedition was always in establishing a beach head in Atlantis an setting up a base which they could survive on. Once they done that they could off just sat an waited for earth to arrive. Instead Shepherd an gang had to go an annoy the local neighbours.

In SGU is totally different the longer it goes on the more chance there is that Earth and the IOA will cut there losses and remove support from funding an researching for a way to get them home an divert resources for more urgent projects that are more needed.
Reducing there chances of getting home to pretty low odds. Especially as the only person on that vessel who might know how to get them home, does not want to go home himself. Not yet anyhow.

At the time Prometheus was launched and Atlantis left, it was using a highly unstable naquadria engine core that looked like it would never work properly. The Asgard didn't install a new engine until much after Atlantis's expedition launched. McKay heard "We're upgrading PRometheus with an asgard hyperdrive" as a hope because he was smart enough to know what walter would be talking about.

For all they knew, the only ship Earth could ever use to find them would be one with a Goa'uld engine that would take 125 years at maximum hyperspeed to get 3 million light years.

And don't forget that the whole point of Atlantis was to find a way to save Earth from the Goa'uld, the wraith were an annoyance in that regard, they were there to find a super-city that could free the MW and end up fighting another war in Pegasus with limited supplies. That's why they were so willing to waste their power on a databurst in Letters to Pegasus, as long as they send back what they found, Earth would have been able to mount some sort of recovery option eventually.

In SGU they're pretty much just as screwed, except no time-travelling captured ZPM is going to send supplies to the Destiny in time to help them...

Rudolph
November 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Compared to Destiny, Atlantis was a walk in the park. Atlantis was light, airy and more comfortable from the spartan bucket that is Destiny. At least with Atlantis they had the ability to go outside. Being stuck on Destiny for too long will drive any claustrophobic mad.

rsanchez
November 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Most humans have trouble when they can't see the sun for prolonged periods of time. Sanity is much more fragile than people think.
I would think they would have more than enough after going into two stars.

I would also think that people here can come up with more original rebuttals. It's boring reading the same argument ten times.

PG15
November 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's because they're the right rebuttals.

What's missing is people reading the thread and realizing that it's already been said. ;)

Captain Obvious
November 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
In Atlantis, they were completely cut off from Earth for almost a year, with no method of communicating back.

Uh....are you forgetting the weekly dial-ins from the SGC with the ZPM they had? or the marines that showed up with railguns?

rsanchez
November 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
That started happening after their first year on Atlantis, when SG-1 brought that ZPM they stole from Ra in the past and they used it first to power the gate to Atlantis, then to power the hyperdrive on the Daedalus to reach Atlantis as fast as possible. Atlantis was completely cut off for almost a year.

sinderg
November 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Compared to Destiny, Atlantis was a walk in the park. Atlantis was light, airy and more comfortable from the spartan bucket that is Destiny. At least with Atlantis they had the ability to go outside. Being stuck on Destiny for too long will drive any claustrophobic mad.

But on Destiny they can call home when the like. See friends and actually be back on earth.

I was on destiny i wouldnt be that botherd.

Flyboy
November 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
But on Destiny they can call home when the like. See friends and actually be back on earth.

I was on destiny i wouldnt be that botherd.
Neither would I.

However, I can appreciate why many would be bothered.

Arwis
November 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Why they all are cracking? Well not all, Rush seems to be totally fine! As for all others they all are little babies and out of pampers!

Flyboy
November 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Why they all are cracking? Well not all, Rush seems to be totally fine! As for all others they all are little babies and out of pampers!
Stranded billions of lightyears from home with very little food, the clothes on your back, little possibility of return and all kinds of dangers when only the other week you were living a fairly normal life.

Yes... babies.... right.

malfunction
November 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
The key difference between Destiny and Atlantis is that Destiny is essentially lost in space. They had the address to Lantea so they knew exactly where in space the expedition went, so within a certain amount of time a ship could get there. If needs were that much I'm sure the Asgard would have went there to rescue the expedition. The gate address used to get to the Destiny is a combination lock, so the ships position is totally unknown and neither the Destiny or any Earth ship is fast enough to fly to each other within a short enough amount of time.

The Destiny crew are in a totally different position to the Atlantis expedition.

Arwis
November 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Stranded billions of lightyears from home with very little food, the clothes on your back, little possibility of return and all kinds of dangers when only the other week you were living a fairly normal life.

Yes... babies.... right.

What real dangers do they have? And I think home is over rated thing... And don't start with home... Last year I left my country to study abroad alone. Since than I haven't had any homesickness at all and was back only once during last christmas for 2 weeks! From my point of view home is kinda overrated. I'm not talking about those who are married or has girlfriends, I'm talking about those who are single and as far as story goes, a lot of them are single.

rsanchez
November 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
The key difference between Destiny and Atlantis is that Destiny is essentially lost in space. They had the address to Lantea so they knew exactly where in space the expedition went, so within a certain amount of time a ship could get there. If needs were that much I'm sure the Asgard would have went there to rescue the expedition. The gate address used to get to the Destiny is a combination lock, so the ships position is totally unknown and neither the Destiny or any Earth ship is fast enough to fly to each other within a short enough amount of time.

The Destiny crew are in a totally different position to the Atlantis expedition.

IIRC, Rush accessed a sort of travel log for the Destiny, an animation showing the ship's departure point and any stops it made along the way, including a stop in the Pegasus Galaxy. They could use this to extrapolate Destiny's position in space relative to Earth.

Cory Holmes
November 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
IIRC, Rush accessed a sort of travel log for the Destiny, an animation showing the ship's departure point and any stops it made along the way, including a stop in the Pegasus Galaxy. They could use this to extrapolate Destiny's position in space relative to Earth.

That does nothing to change the whole "several billion light years from home" deal. That's a bit of a stumbling block, yes?

Myles
November 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
What real dangers do they have? And I think home is over rated thing... And don't start with home... Last year I left my country to study abroad alone. Since than I haven't had any homesickness at all and was back only once during last christmas for 2 weeks! From my point of view home is kinda overrated. I'm not talking about those who are married or has girlfriends, I'm talking about those who are single and as far as story goes, a lot of them are single.

Yes, and that's exactly the same as being billions of light years away from Earth with no known way to get back, and being stuck in a confined space with only brief sessions of real sun light; combined with lack of supplies and the stressful military situation.

Also, you =/= everyone. Just because you had little issues with home sickness doesn't mean other people will have your same reaction.

rsanchez
November 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
That does nothing to change the whole "several billion light years from home" deal. That's a bit of a stumbling block, yes?

Yes, but that is different from having no idea where the ship is, as was suggested in that post I quoted.

GhostPoet
November 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yes...they are the wrong people for the job...but come on. If it was you, wouldn't you be trying to do more? Explore the ship more...learn more and take action, rather then sit around wondering who's dating who or weeping in your pillow? :P
I mean, they've got plenty of military people. Get to exploring the ship more, traveling to other worlds more. Take risks, most of all.

Flyboy
November 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM

1) You (presumably) left home by choice.
2) You (presumably) had adequate time to prepare for your departure
3) You (presumably) live in fairly similar decent living conditions.
4) You (presumably) have worldly posessions.
5) You (presumably) have more than one set of clothes.
6) You (presumably) know when you can go home should you choose.
7) You (definitely) won't die away from all your loved ones in the vast reccesses of space.
8) You (definitely) aren't trapped on an alien ship.
9) You (definitely) aren't worried that you may get destroyed by an alien race.

You cannot compare going to study abroad to coming under attack, evacuating to what you THOUGHT was Earth, living in very difficult conditions in terms of atmosphere, safety, food, and hygiene, and never knowing if you'll get home.

Being trapped on the destiny is not akin to going to uni. No matter how much you might think it.

Flyboy
November 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes...they are the wrong people for the job...but come on. If it was you, wouldn't you be trying to do more? Explore the ship more...learn more and take action, rather then sit around wondering who's dating who or weeping in your pillow? :P
I mean, they've got plenty of military people. Get to exploring the ship more, traveling to other worlds more. Take risks, most of all.
Their job is to get people home. Not to explore. The military onboard have a responsibility to protect the passengers. Not satisfy Rush's curiosity.

GhostPoet
November 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Their job is to get people home. Not to explore. The military onboard have a responsibility to protect the passengers. Not satisfy Rush's curiosity.

ah, but exploring the ship is directly linked to getting home. The more they know about the ship and the more systems they unlock...the greater chance of finding a way home. :)

Myles
November 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
They are exploring the ship. It is how they found the chair.

P-90_177
November 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
ah, but exploring the ship is directly linked to getting home. The more they know about the ship and the more systems they unlock...the greater chance of finding a way home. :)

Well that's what they're doing In life.

When they find the prototype ancient repository.

The problem is the ship is as we are repeatedly told, heavily damaged with many sections cut off and venting out into space.......much of the ship they can't get to.........

PG15
November 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
What real dangers do they have?

Uh...dying?

Let's see. After escaping near death on Icarus, they almost die due to suffocation in Air. Then, in Darkness, they lose power and would've died soon from lack of environmental controls had they not started going towards a star, where they'd've been surely killed, had that not been just a way for Destiny to refuel.

Then, in Water, not only were they running out of water, but there was also a weird cloud of bugs that can evicerate you like tiny circular saws, which they did to one man. He died. In Earth, thanks to Telford, most people thought the ship was about to explode, which wouldve killed them. Finally, in Time, everyone died multiple times.

Funny, the only episode where there hasn't been a clear danger of death, is Life.

And I think home is over rated thing... And don't start with home... Last year I left my country to study abroad alone. Since than I haven't had any homesickness at all and was back only once during last christmas for 2 weeks! From my point of view home is kinda overrated. I'm not talking about those who are married or has girlfriends, I'm talking about those who are single and as far as story goes, a lot of them are single.

And you think they feel the exact same way as you, even if they're single?

malfunction
November 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM

True. Even if they do know where Destiny is in relation to Earth, it is too far away to be rescued or to turn around and fly back. Although we aren't sure how far Destiny can travel when in FTL, in the show only a week or three have passed and Destiny has reached two stars. In this time it has also stopped for three stargate dials, so it must have travelled a significant distance within its current galaxy. I really want to know how fast it can travel in FTL at full speed, it would be interesting if the longer the ship stayed in FTL the faster it gets.

Ed
November 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
also some of the crew are doing stuff to make things better you just seem to be ignoring them

Parks and becker in a kinosode are working on artifical flavourings for the food to make it better.

Another scientist his name escapes me is working on a hydroponics ab to grow vegtables.

Rush and eli are doing all sorts

Parks and a few non named characters are fixing the suites.

Greer spencer and scott are getting everyone in shape also greer is teaching Eli to fight.

Rush has teams exploring as he pressurises other sections.

So if you watch everything many of them are trying to help for example parks hasnt broke down at all she is doing nohing but being productive even volker who *****es alot is actually helping.

The tear come from deaths hell even sam died when col Emerson was shot dead infront of her and thats normla you have to be mental screwed up to not be effected by your friend being killed and yet people got angry that TJ was upset at being unable to help anyone.

malfunction
November 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
The tear come from deaths hell even sam died when col Emerson was shot dead infront of her and thats normla you have to be mental screwed up to not be effected by your friend being killed and yet people got angry that TJ was upset at being unable to help anyone.

You're right on the money there, imagine if you were in Scott's position. Waking up with a terrible pain in your chest that was made by an alien insect and that when you stand up you notice everyone around you is dead. I'd probably not like to see how some of the critics of these scenes would respond, it wouldn't be nice to say the least.

GhostPoet
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Why is rush the only one facinated with the situation? If I was in that situation I wouldn't be completely afraid. I would be more facinated and interested in learning more about the ship and what not. don't get me wrong. Fear plays a part. But they are out in a part of space no human has ever seen...think of all the things they could learn along the way before finding a way home.

Tuvok
November 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Let's see, a bunch of unready individuals are sent on a one way trip without warning.

Limited supplies, virutually no luxeries. At least the Atlantis crew got to take some with them.

The Atlantis crew got a futuristic city with the trimmings and neighbours they can trade with.

The Destiny crew got a ' ancient' ship that seems to trying to kill them half the time.

No experts, no therapists.

Yeah, the wimps.

Irony insert.

PG15
November 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Why is rush the only one facinated with the situation? If I was in that situation I wouldn't be completely afraid. I would be more facinated and interested in learning more about the ship and what not. don't get me wrong. Fear plays a part. But they are out in a part of space no human has ever seen...think of all the things they could learn along the way before finding a way home.

With all due respect, you can't possibly know how you'll deal unless you were in that exact situation.

Phenom
November 25th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Sorry dude but I am with PG on this one.....the bullsh*t button has been pressed loud and clear.

Lets be brutally honest here. I would say that 99% of GW users are just average Joes who would have no idea what the fark is going on inside an ancient foreign spaceship. We would probably just walk around pushing buttons until one of them killed us. I guess the different ways we would die could be fascinating if you are into that sort of stuff.

KEK
November 25th, 2009, 03:50 AM

Think of all the horrible way they could die, every single day. Their lives would be a misery.

gatefanjo-m
November 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I guess the beauty of Science Fiction is to be able to try and imagine how we would react in the situation our heroes are put in, and hoping and wishing that we would measure up. But, as with any foreign situation in life (and lets be honest, this a type of foreign we couldn't even comprehend), we wouldn't know how we would react until we were in it. That's why we love the shows so much, because we want to see how our heroes are going to react to this week's dilemma. And it would boring if they coped effortlessly every time.

I agree with Sifr, they're just going a little stir crazy. They are still being productive in their own fields, and that's only what we are being shown. There are still the 65/70 extra people, that we don't see show to show, that are surely actively helping as well. Cracking, in my opinion, would mean a major halt in that productiveness, which we get shown developing from the montage at the beginning to the montage at the end of 'Life'.

GhostPoet
November 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Think of all the horrible way they could die, every single day. Their lives would be a misery.

That's the problem...that's like all they think about. It's time they manned up and got used to the situation. What use is it to panic or worry? Fear is important, but it shouldn't be a controlling factor.

Flyboy
November 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
That's the problem...that's like all they think about. It's time they manned up and got used to the situation. What use is it to panic or worry? Fear is important, but it shouldn't be a controlling factor.
Ahhhhh, the arm chair strategist. He who knows infinitely more than the most seasoned General.

Reminds me of an RAF poster I once saw on another base. It had a morbidly obese man sitting in his chair watching football yelling at the tv for the players to 'put some effort in'.

Tuvok
November 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ahhhhh, the arm chair strategist. He who knows infinitely more than the most seasoned General.

Reminds me of an RAF poster I once saw on another base. It had a morbidly obese man sitting in his chair watching football yelling at the tv for the players to 'put some effort in'.

Qouted for friggin truth.

Man up. Right, untrained and unprepared persons dumped off on the butt end of nowhere with poor food, isolation from all they know. In an situation where they could end up dead or worse.

They should totally get over it.

:mckay:

nx01a
November 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'll say that it's realistic they're not coping, but doesn't the SGC put these people through some kind of survival training and psych prep before shipping them off across the galaxies? The concept of horrible death [or Goa'uld possession, or being burnt at the stake in someone else's body, or being fed on by a Wraith, or blown up by a Ha'tak, etc.] has to be in each of their minds alread, but they're out there anyway. The money can't be that good. :)
The example of Cam on the Odyssey in 'Unending' was raised earlier, I believe. Look also at Vala: some trauma made her break down, but she had Daniel and the others to help her, just like Cam did. Maybe people're cracking up because they're not a 'team', they're just a bunch of people who're thrown together under constant threat of impending horrible Doom. That should make them bond, but it just seems to be keeping alot of them apart. And that's where the cracks start to widen...

major davis
November 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM

As TPTB would put it......

"They're flawed"

Flyboy
November 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'll say that it's realistic they're not coping, but doesn't the SGC put these people through some kind of survival training and psych prep before shipping them off across the galaxies? The concept of horrible death [or Goa'uld possession, or being burnt at the stake in someone else's body, or being fed on by a Wraith, or blown up by a Ha'tak, etc.] has to be in each of their minds alread, but they're out there anyway. The money can't be that good. :)
The example of Cam on the Odyssey in 'Unending' was raised earlier, I believe. Look also at Vala: some trauma made her break down, but she had Daniel and the others to help her, just like Cam did. Maybe people're cracking up because they're not a 'team', they're just a bunch of people who're thrown together under constant threat of impending horrible Doom. That should make them bond, but it just seems to be keeping alot of them apart. And that's where the cracks start to widen...
You also need to remember that there's a HUGE difference between the mentality and capability of front line combat units and operations support units.

nx01a
November 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Front line = I know I'm cannon fodder.
Ops = I'll be safe here in the control room next to the stargate to Earth.

Is that what you mean?

natyanayaki
November 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Then would you say BSG (the new one) is not Scifi?

Flyboy
November 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Front line = I know I'm cannon fodder.
Ops = I'll be safe here in the control room next to the stargate to Earth.

Is that what you mean?
Crude... but apt.

Serving on home soil is one thing. Nice and cosey, get to go home at the end of the day.

Serving in theatre is a step up, you KNOW there's a risk, but you also know there's people out there essentially looking after you and you can get on with your job. Sure you may have to pitch in and help, but ultimatly it's the infantry or commandos that will take the lead.

Serving front line is a whole different ball game because they ARE the ones trained to deal with any **** that may hit the fan. And a front line soldier knows this. And yes, it does come with a certain degree of risk acknowledgement and resignation. As Teal'c so nicely put it in Full Circle - "if you are not willing to die, you should not be here".

I highly doubt that the SGC Catering Officers are 'willing to die' - but they're the one's who've been forced into what we can, for all intensive purposes regard as a front line situation. Sure some of them, like Greer, are probably 'front line' and they're doing fine. But Scott? He's a wet behind the ears Leiutenant. The rest, as detailed, were defending a base which had a science role. Even then, whilst thye could be, there's a difference between complex defence and seeking out the enemy.

nx01a
November 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Crude... but apt.I try. :)
Wrong people, wrong place, wrong time, wrong everything?

KEK
November 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM

They're humans, not Vulcans. When new ways for your life to end are popping up on almost a daily basis it's probably difficult to be cheerful.

Phenom
November 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Crude... but apt.

Serving on home soil is one thing. Nice and cosey, get to go home at the end of the day.

Serving in theatre is a step up, you KNOW there's a risk, but you also know there's people out there essentially looking after you and you can get on with your job. Sure you may have to pitch in and help, but ultimatly it's the infantry or commandos that will take the lead.

Serving front line is a whole different ball game because they ARE the ones trained to deal with any **** that may hit the fan. And a front line soldier knows this. And yes, it does come with a certain degree of risk acknowledgement and resignation. As Teal'c so nicely put it in Full Circle - "if you are not willing to die, you should not be here".

I highly doubt that the SGC Catering Officers are 'willing to die' - but they're the one's who've been forced into what we can, for all intensive purposes regard as a front line situation. Sure some of them, like Greer, are probably 'front line' and they're doing fine. But Scott? He's a wet behind the ears Leiutenant. The rest, as detailed, were defending a base which had a science role. Even then, whilst thye could be, there's a difference between complex defence and seeking out the enemy.

So true mate. There is this perception that every single person that has ever put on a defence force uniform is somehow equally trained and prepared for hellish situations. My defence force experience extends only to a year or 2 of reserves training back in my late teens but from what i recall, out of the 50 or so people in my platoon, i would say 45 of them would have hit the panic button big time had anything remotely serious happened.

Most were simply uni students looking for a bit of extra coin during the holidays and who is seems that the SGU crew probably have a few of those types thrown in too. Not all of them are elite in any interpretation of the word so this perception by armchair critics that they should 'man up' is ********.

I also have an issue with term 'man up'. Anybody who has ever worked in extremely stressful environments daily knows that there is no pride in bottling things up as that only leads to our mates committing suicide, hitting the drink or the like. Sure there are times to step up to the plate and get the job done, but that is being a professional, not 'manning up'.

Avenger
November 28th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I'll say that it's realistic they're not coping, but doesn't the SGC put these people through some kind of survival training and psych prep before shipping them off across the galaxies?

Training is all well and good, but there is no way they could fully recreate any of the bad situations they might find themselves in in a training situation.

Plus, even the toughest nuts will crack, eventually.

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Training is all well and good, but there is no way they could fully recreate any of the bad situations they might find themselves in in a training situation.

Plus, even the toughest nuts will crack, eventually.

Tell that to the Ghurkha’s. They are the most unflappable human beings on the planet. Mind everyone else, they’ve got a breaking point just not the Ghurkhas.:)

EllieVee
November 29th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The problem with half the people, mostly the civilian scientists, is that they werent meant to travel offworld to the Destiny. I got the impression that most if not all of the survivors were actual Icarus Base personel, not the chosen Destiny expedition team. So some people are snapping, Spencer cause he's off his meds, obviously. Others like Chloe who were there for a short visit (She's standing up amazingly well actually).

This.

But, it makes me wonder why the actual expedition team didn't seem to be on Icarus other than Telford and Rush, who may have going to be fired anyway. As well as the constant litany of 'These are the wrong people', it would be nice if there was a reference to where the 'right people' happened to be. Were they training elsewhere while all the scientific geek stuff was going on or what?

I get the impression that the guy who was shot (Volker?) wasn't mean to go offworld and WAS meant to return to earth rather shortly after the Hammond arrived. Something in his attitude suggests he was already on his way out when **** hit the fan. TJ was in a similar situation but she's military, so she's used to crap like this. (STOP LOSS)

Franklin?

PG15
November 29th, 2009, 12:24 AM
We know that a lot of the military were fighting the Lucian Alliance at the time.

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 29th, 2009, 05:58 AM
This.

But, it makes me wonder why the actual expedition team didn't seem to be on Icarus other than Telford and Rush, who may have going to be fired anyway. As well as the constant litany of 'These are the wrong people', it would be nice if there was a reference to where the 'right people' happened to be. Were they training elsewhere while all the scientific geek stuff was going on or what?

The military people were outside on the gun positions defending against the attack. The only reason Young and Greer went back inside was because their position was destroyed. Scott was evacuating the Senator to the Gate room, TJ helping the injured inside the base and James seemed to be in charge of the guards in the Gateroom. That accounts for the main officers on the Destiny, the expedition personnel were as I say fighting outside and were either killed or beamed out by the Destiny because they were outside the base. I think Sam even makes mention in the pilot that they evacuated all the personnel fighting outside of the base.