PDA

View Full Version : The Chair

erotavlas
November 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Any speculation as to what role it will play?

Also, what would happen it someone used it while body swapping back on Earth? Would the effects manifest in the Earth body or the body on Destiny?

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
My first reaction was that it was a predecessor to the Ancient Control Chairs, rather than the repositories.

Judging from what happened/was said in this episode though, I'm thinking that at some point Rush and Greer will agree to put him (Greer) in the chair. Whether that results in Greer dying or not, I'm not prepared to speculate just yet.

Cecil Brax
November 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Honestly,

I have a feeling this chair will play a major role later on. While the chair might seem to be one thing, like most ancient tech it might actually do quite a bit more then what people originally believe it was designed for. Like the one that Daniel found in Merlin's lab, the fact it has a control interface might mean that you can actually selective pick and choose what you want to have added to your memory.

I have a feeling this plot device is going to get alot of attention in the future.

- CB

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM
My first reaction was that it was a predecessor to the Ancient Control Chairs, rather than the repositories.

Agreed. It looked like an incredibly crude version of the control chair. I'm thinking that sitting in the chair will unlock and control the primary systems- they just found the bridge of the ship.

MattSilver 3k
November 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I especially liked the chair's look - a cross between the Ancient style we know and love, and something out of a Saw movie.

I'm not a betting man, but I have a sure thing that says the chair will come into play later on.

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Agreed. It looked like an incredibly crude version of the control chair. I'm thinking that sitting in the chair will unlock and control the primary systems- they just found the bridge of the ship.

That could be.

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Well here's a thought (WILD SPECULATION AHOY!):

Suppose it is like a repository and a control chair all in one. Except, once you're out of the chair you don't remember any of the Ancient knowledge?

That'd be kind of neat, and give the actors a chance to flex their acting chops as 'different' characters than their usual selves.

LorAsh
November 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
It def looks like a control chair. Control power flow, ship, navigation everything else. IF the Destiny predates Antlantis and the MW gates, would there really be much of a repository anyway. Regardless they would need some type of way to control the ship.

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I especially liked the chair's look - a cross between the Ancient style we know and love, and something out of a Saw movie.

I thought it looked like one of those chairs from the Matrix a little.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
i have a feeling that greer will be the one who operates it

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Maybe if Rush thought about what he said and didn't immediately say it was a repository, someone would have sat on it and used it. It would have fit the Rush style of looking out for number one more than begging for someone else to use it after knowing what it does.

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
i have a feeling that greer will be the one who operates it

And dies......*heres hoping*

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
And dies......*heres hoping*

Here's hoping Chloe dies, and stays dead like the alternate timeline Chloe. At least it will clear Eli's head (after the shock of losing his dream girl subsides).

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Here's hoping Chloe dies, and stays dead like the alternate timeline Chloe. At least it will clear Eli's head (after the shock of losing his dream girl subsides).
I hope not I like her.

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Greer is awesome, might just be my favourite character. I sure hope the chair doesn't kill him :S

Carlos-Curitiba
November 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The chair must be operated by a person that has the ancient gene.

I bet that the only one that has the gene is SPENCER
and how he is a bad guy everybody will depend on him!

jelgate
November 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The chair must be operated by a person that has the ancien gene.

I bet that the only one that has the gene is SPENCER.

Destiny predates ATA gene activation

Lightning Ducj
November 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The chair must be operated by a person that has the ancien gene.

I bet that the only one that has the gene is SPENCER.

Destiny is older than that

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
you tell Spencer to get in the chair...... i'm not

Lightning Ducj
November 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
you tell Spencer to get in the chair...... i'm not

All bark, no bite.. Young handled him pretty well

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
The chair must be operated by a person that has the ancient gene.

I bet that the only one that has the gene is SPENCER
and how he is a bad guy everybody will depend on him!

Although I agree with jelgate/Lightning Ducj, I think it will be him that's going to somehow kill himself on that chair. With the way they're hyping it to be bad, it can't be all good.

Sifr
November 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I doubt its a Repository at all, it looks like a crude Control Chair, and the Neural-Interface is simply those jelly-like hand controls you use in the Milky Way and Pegasus Chairs.

I think before too long Rush will use it.

garhkal
November 20th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Agreed. Though it makes me wonder if they put any 'lockouts'; on it to prevent just anyone using it.
And i hope Rush DOES go into it, and proves he is the right one to control the ship.

Sifr
November 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
It could be amusing though, if Greer was right all along...

It IS a dentists chair.

They really should keep calling it that.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM

It IS a dentists chair.

it wouldn't service the overall story if the chair was nothing

Shpinxinator
November 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
One thing confuses me...why the fear of death..the Ancient Repository of Knowlege is what almost killed O'Neill not the control chair

Count
November 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM
One thing confuses me...why the fear of death..the Ancient Repository of Knowlege is what almost killed O'Neill not the control chair

Rush said that it appeared to be a precursor to the repository technology, not the control chair technology. So this thing would theoretically dump the entire Destiny library into a person's brain, and since it's less advance then the repository technology, it would probably do a hell of a lot more damage.

Tho personally, i think it is more like the ancient control chair too, but pre-lantean so it doesnt need the gene, it just overwhelms anyone who has no training on it, the "access the ships data" is just part of hte access it can give.

I mean seriously, who would design a ship to be locked out by a master code, but leave the database WITH the code contained in it.. open for viewing?

Giantevilhead
November 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Even if the chair is a repository, it's going to be pretty useless to the Destiny crew. The repositories SG-1 found were meant to preserve all the collected knowledge of the Ancients so they were built for non-Ancients. On the other hand, the Ancients built the Destiny with the intention of visiting it later so the chair would be meant for Ancients. There would be no reason for the chair to contain all the knowledge of the Ancients, it'll just contain all the information that the Destiny and the seeder ships have collected. Whoever gets that information downloaded into their head will still need Ancient knowledge in order to use it.

g.o.d
November 21st, 2009, 02:49 AM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5351/lister61.jpg

MechaThor
November 21st, 2009, 04:15 AM
I think the Chair will play a role in the upcoming epsiode "Human".

Rush will use the chair to link with the ships computer... cue Daniel flashbacks.....

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM
I agree with Rush that this would probably not be as lethal as the one SG1 found. That had all their knowledge prior to their ascension, where as this one is a few million years older than that...

I just had a thought though. Get someone to switch bodies with someone on the destiny and sit in the chair. Once they find the information they need switch back and on Earth have the Asgard brain-knowledge-deleter-thing standing by. I'm not sure what this would do to the host body though, especially now we know residual memories stay behind.

neoprometheus
November 21st, 2009, 05:17 AM

Apparently we still have an epidemic of CDS (Chloe Derangement Syndrome).

Duke Flipside
November 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
My first thought was that it's a control chair as well. But the danger must be serious if Rush hasn't been willing to sit in it; whether it's a repository or control chair or both, whoever sits in the chair will effectively have total control of the ship. Rush surely sees this, so the only reason I can see for him not to is that the chance of death is high.

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM

It IS a dentists chair.

looked like my dentist's chair :)

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Rush said that it appeared to be a precursor to the repository technology, not the control chair technology. So this thing would theoretically dump the entire Destiny library into a person's brain, and since it's less advance then the repository technology, it would probably do a hell of a lot more damage.

Maybe Chuck could sit in the chair, he's good at downloading data directly into his brain LOL

thekillman
November 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
it probably gets used in Human, as Rush, due to " an interface with the ship" he gets visions etc

Ashman
November 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM
What if Wray Sat in it? She looks desperate enough

nxcalibur
November 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM

I don't think they found the actual bridge of the ship. IIRC an Aurora class battleship has no control chair on the bridge, but in a seperate room.
Well, of course there's an control chair light on the bridge, but it's not as powerful as the chair in Atlantis, or the Antartica chair.
And I don't think it is a repository either. Maybe it is just an interface, to improve working with Destiny's systems but not to control the ship.
I remember watching a movie where the crew of some kind of ship was connected with the ship via neural interfaces (NO, I don't mean Matrix) but I don't remember which one it was. Have to go through my DVD collection first.

*busy searching for the movie*

arrakis44
November 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM
It certainly goes a long way to explaining why they switched to an ATA controlled chair, no more wires burrowing into your brain - ouch!

Kaeb
November 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Here's a thought.

What if the drugs Spencer were taking, weren't psychiatric meds and they were actually keeping him alive?

So then he volunteers himself to Rush to use in the chair, but then dies as a result?

Was just a thought.

Kaiphantom
November 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Apparently we still have an epidemic of CDS (Chloe Derangement Syndrome).

Hey, she'd finally have a use aboard the ship! And how did she manage to get out of the workouts everyone else was forced to do? It's almost as if a certain someone got her out of it...

eliteaceman
November 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Judging from what happened/was said in this episode though, I'm thinking that at some point Rush and Greer will agree to put him (Greer) in the chair. Whether that results in Greer dying or not, I'm not prepared to speculate just yet.

here comes.... SUPER GREER!

Arwis
November 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I know it's little too early to talk about, but lets speculate the usage of the chair! I know that it is deadly however here's the thing:

1. Upload destiny's information
2. Get the use of it
3. Swipe the bodies with earth
4. Clean the knowledge

People dies because brain can not hold that much information. Basically brains rapidly tries to adapt and because it happens rapidly at some point of adaptation brain fails and human being dies.

However using LRC's you could prevent brain adaptation because knowledge you posses also goes to the person at the other end. This means that we can upload ancients knowledge, get use of it and safely remove it.

Btw you don't need ancient gene to operate this chair because this chair has nothing in common with the chairs we are used to. It's like dentist chair instead of fixing your tooth it uploads knowledge to your brains.

Moreover I think it's possible to operate it safely by controlling the upload! Because this chair requires external operator(the one who controls the panels)

Hibblette
November 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Actually-the download devices were always embedded in a wall.

That chair was something from the Gamekeeper and later was used on Teal'c that nearly killed him because of the scenario he was using was deadly. He had to work it out.

So the chair is dangerous but I don't really see where they think it's the downloadable.

Hibblette
November 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Actually the Repositories they were talking about were always embedded in a wall. So I don't really get where they think it's a Repository.

And Yes-the first thing I thought of was the Ancient Gene Chair.

And yet-here's another reference-the Gamekeepers chair. What if it's a Scenario chair?

That's what I think it is.

Then again maybe it's the chair that helped the Ancients get to the Gene encoding.

renboy
November 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Lots of speculations there...

I just think that Rush will somehow convince Greer (or other poor sod) to use the chair without Young's knowledge - or will basically just tell Young that the only way to solve the crisis of the day is to use the chair.

I don't understand your post topic though, sounds a bit 'anti' for something that was barely discussed or researched in the show.

Pharaoh Atem
November 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
stick chloe in it. she can be the ai of destiny

thekillman
November 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM
the repositories were stuck to walls, yes. but Rush understands ancient. there's a big difference between an upload device and a control chair

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM

Their is the morality of the possibility it could kill her

Pharaoh Atem
November 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM

touching any console on destiny could kill you. but you have to try it nawyay

creed462
November 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think Young is wiser to ere on the side of caution. It is better to learn slowly then lose someone. Then again he did say that Rush could use it on himself

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
touching any console on destiny could kill you. but you have to try it nawyay

Its a little different when it accidental verus forcing someone to gamble their life.

Pharaoh Atem
November 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Its a little different when it accidental verus forcing someone to gamble their life.

but it's the only way you can make progress

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
but it's the only way you can make progress

Most scientists will tell you the unethical nature of useing someone's life to make progress. And its not the only way. Rush has that code. Its just the easiest way

Nemises
November 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Is rush an idiot or are the writers idiots ?

That chair was certainly built to control the ship...like the atlantis chair.

Those mind transfer things are usually embedded on walls anyways and why would the ancients want to store all there knowledge on the ship when they were the one's who were supposed to live in it ?

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM

Those mind transfer things are usually embedded on walls anyways and why would the ancients want to store all there knowledge on the ship when they were the one's who were supposed to live in it ?

So that doesn't mean its always been done that way. I

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM

You're the idiot

The chair does whatever the writers say it does, and they've stated that it's a predecessor to this; http://gateworld.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/59/Repositoryofknowledge.jpg/300px-Repositoryofknowledge.jpg NOT this; http://gateworld.net/wiki/images/thumb/e/ed/Controlchairancient.jpg/300px-Controlchairancient.jpg

Remember destiny is millions of years older than Ancient tech already seen, things change.

Nemises
November 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
You're the idiot

The chair does whatever the writers say it does, and they've stated that it's a predecessor to this; http://gateworld.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/59/Repositoryofknowledge.jpg/300px-Repositoryofknowledge.jpg NOT this; http://gateworld.net/wiki/images/thumb/e/ed/Controlchairancient.jpg/300px-Controlchairancient.jpg

Remember destiny is millions of years older than Ancient tech already seen, things change.

Right so the chair is the predecessor to the head sucker rather than a chair. :lol:

Arwis
November 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM

Nice I like it, in that way they finally would make some use of useless assets.

As it is now she's better dead than alive. So yeah, it's worth trying.

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
As it is now she's better dead than alive. So yeah, it's worth trying.:rolleyes:Yes because someone doesn't have a skill for the Destiny lets kill her. That makes lots of sense.

syfygal47
November 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
I think the chair was introduced for a reason, and it will play a major role in an upcoming episode.

gottaluvit
November 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm sure it will play a major role. I'm curious about Youngs comments about the chair being dangerous and almost killing Jack, yes it may have but surely they know that not all the chairs work that way. I'm surprised Rush didn't mention that the Atlantis chair has been used repeatedly with no ill effects.

MacGyverInSpace
November 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Any speculation as to what role it will play?

Also, what would happen it someone used it while body swapping back on Earth? Would the effects manifest in the Earth body or the body on Destiny?

I think she'll eBay it. And sitting in it will hurt your back.

Arwis
November 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes:Yes because someone doesn't have a skill for the Destiny lets kill her. That makes lots of sense.

If she doesn't have skills why the hell she has so much screen time? She could stay some where in her corner and appear once in a while as secondary cast.

beafly
November 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
She clearly has skills.

jelgate
November 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
If she doesn't have skills why the hell she has so much screen time? She could stay some where in her corner and appear once in a while as secondary cast.

Has she really that much more screentime then the other characters in the main cast? Not all characters have to have a predisposed essential task. I think that is the point. Its about finding out what she can do. Its like how an ordinary civillian would react to the Destiny. We would be useless as well.

Conundrum
November 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Rush said this chair was the precursor to the Head Sucker. Now I could be wrong but I thought the Head Sucker used a visual stimuli to download the ancient knowledge (the bright lights seen when using it). Could the chair be a prototype and the ancients discovered the neural link was no good for downloading data into a brain? Then possibly they used the neural technology in the control chairs.

As for it being dangerous (aside from the prototype theory above). The only reason the Head Sucker almost killed Jack was because his brain couldn't process and store all the information. When the HS were created the ancients were biologically superior to us humans, and capable of storing and processing the data. I'm thinking that at the time Destiny and the chair were built the ancients weren't to biologically different from us, and thus the chair would probably with our brains.

TheHomegaMan
November 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Right so the chair is the predecessor to the head sucker rather than a chair. :lol:
If Rush says its a precursor to the head grabbing repositories instead of a control chair, then that's what it is. I don't see how you can dispute this. There's no indication that it has anything in common with a control chair beyond the fact that you sit on it, and it was created by the Ancients.

Don't get me wrong, though. Questioning Rush makes sense. Outright dismissing what he says based on a superficial visual similarity, however, is foolish.

Arwis
November 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Chair isn't a prototype or w/e dangerous to use! It was built in destiny that ancients instead of reading whole data collected could simply download to their heads and get use of it. So it isn't dangerous to operate because it was meant to be operate. By saying isn't dangerous I mean for ancient. For normal humans it may have same effect because it does almost the same just in other way.

HS however had totally different purpose. They weren't random data banks, they served as someones(personal) knowledge bank with out personality. Ancient or few ancients who were about to die hoped that maybe there will be some ancients left after the plague and copied the knowledge they had to the HS for the greeter good. HS were protected by ancient GENE so they were sure that knowledge wouldn't end at the bad hands.

Count
November 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Can i point out that the repository was DESIGNED to "overwhelm" an average human? For all intents and purposes it dumped every piece of knowledge in existance that the Ancients knew into a person's head and started assisting the user in ascending, the only reason it failed was because humans weren't advanced enough to figure out how to ascend before they were killed by the machine... It's almost like a final version of that gene manipulator thing that McKay found. (Actually, since Ascending wasn't on the agenda for ancients until after they returned from Atlantis, it seems like the repository tech could be post lantean, especially since it only reacted to O'neill in all instances, or Merlin.

The Destiny's database is pre-lantean, so it's more likely this was designed just to be a proto control chair and direct database access to the Destiny's records directly, not something that would force ascension.

Eternal Density
November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Right so the chair is the predecessor to the head sucker rather than a chair. :lol:They're both chairs but that's just the form factor, it says nothing about their function beyond that a humanoid can be seated in them.

On another note, I wonder whether the Ancient Database was smaller back when Destiny was launched.
BTW, bodyswapping won't help here because it physically downloads stuff into the brain.

beafly
November 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
If Rush says its a precursor to the head grabbing repositories instead of a control chair, then that's what it is. I don't see how you can dispute this.

Right... because Rush has NEVER lied before.

erotavlas
November 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
one thing I don't like is how Rush constantly gives out answers to things and we don't see him figure it out or even a brief explanation as to how he came to a particular conclusion. its just handed to us like 'this is a chair similar to the repository of knowledge device' um ok...?

there was no story or developments that led us through the process of figuring it out. not that I want a long drawn out process or explanation but at least something that would give us some further insight into how the technology fits together / relates to current technology (of the ancients) sort of like in SG1 when we actually see Carter try to figure something. I think something similar would be more fun and engaging than handing us the answer so fast.

Darynlxm
November 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Right... because Rush has NEVER lied before.

How about next time you dont just mine part of the quote?

If Rush says its a precursor to the head grabbing repositories instead of a control chair, then that's what it is. I don't see how you can dispute this. There's no indication that it has anything in common with a control chair beyond the fact that you sit on it, and it was created by the Ancients.

Don't get me wrong, though. Questioning Rush makes sense. Outright dismissing what he says based on a superficial visual similarity, however, is foolish.

See that part? Thats the important part of everythin he said.

Stargate Atlantis Girl
November 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
I think the guy who's always mad at people is going to sit in it (he's kinda bald....not sure what his name is?)

coZma
November 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Can i point out that the repository was DESIGNED to "overwhelm" an average human? For all intents and purposes it dumped every piece of knowledge in existance that the Ancients knew into a person's head and started assisting the user in ascending, the only reason it failed was because humans weren't advanced enough to figure out how to ascend before they were killed by the machine...

And when was that stated? The Ancient repository had nothing to do with ascension but with passing on their knowledge and their experience. That's why it was called "the place of our legacy (or leg, whatever)"

beafly
November 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
How about next time you dont just mine part of the quote?

See that part? Thats the important part of everythin he said.

He seemed to state that rush's assessment was indisputable.

Do you agree?

Count
November 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
And when was that stated? The Ancient repository had nothing to do with ascension but with passing on their knowledge and their experience. That's why it was called "the place of our legacy (or leg, whatever)"

It was never directly stated, but here's the evidence.

On three occasions, a human whose looked into this thing has ended up developing "superpowers", telekinesis, clairvoyance, advanced knowledge, healing, all the precursors to ascension as descibed and documented throughout SG-1 and Atlantis.

The asgard said the device was designed for people with more advanced brains then humans, but they were amazed that humans in that state were capable of even processing the knowledge.

Not to mention in every mythology around the ancients, their legacy is the "gift of ascension", mainly in pegasus, but Kheb and the rest, they leave behind information telling them how to attain ascension as well.

So "The Place of our Legacy" is their final production development of the ancient database technology AND an auto-ascender.

Tho one can argue that the knowledge simply started to re-write the brains of humans in patterns the ancients had documented and stored in the device, which were precursors to ascension, not force ascension itself.. that's only a side affect of O'neill's or Daniel's subconscious minds processing the information.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM

If you think you know more than Rush fine... If you think you know more than the writers however....

I'm sure it will play a major role. I'm curious about Youngs comments about the chair being dangerous and almost killing Jack, yes it may have but surely they know that not all the chairs work that way. I'm surprised Rush didn't mention that the Atlantis chair has been used repeatedly with no ill effects.

There were no head suckers on Atlantis, at least as far as I can remember. The chair didn't kill nearly Jack, the head sucker did. This chair, despite being a chair, is not like the Lantean control chairs, it's more like a head sucker because it downloads information into your brain

coZma
November 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
It was never directly stated, but here's the evidence.

On three occasions, a human whose looked into this thing has ended up developing "superpowers", telekinesis, clairvoyance, advanced knowledge, healing, all the precursors to ascension as descibed and documented throughout SG-1 and Atlantis.

The asgard said the device was designed for people with more advanced brains then humans, but they were amazed that humans in that state were capable of even processing the knowledge.

Not to mention in every mythology around the ancients, their legacy is the "gift of ascension", mainly in pegasus, but Kheb and the rest, they leave behind information telling them how to attain ascension as well.

So "The Place of our Legacy" is their final production development of the ancient database technology AND an auto-ascender.

Tho one can argue that the knowledge simply started to re-write the brains of humans in patterns the ancients had documented and stored in the device, which were precursors to ascension, not force ascension itself.. that's only a side affect of O'neill's or Daniel's subconscious minds processing the information.

From what I understand this device downloads such a vast amount of data into your mind that in order for it to be processed your brain pushes itself beyond its limits, not unlike overclocking your processor. Anyway this only happens because we're not advanced enough. From what we know this device has no effects on ancients for whom it was intended. The ascension machine on Atlantis did not download any information into McKay's mind and as of the ancients leaving us information on how to ascend, well, the one that were not ascended obviously didn't know how and the ones that did ascend were not allowed to interfere.I don't think it was created to help one ascend it was just as it's called a library of knowledge

Arga
November 22nd, 2009, 03:34 AM

Yes me too.
Since when the ancient repository interface looks like chairs?
O'Neill got his head sucked in a strange machine.
just look at this page from the Gateworld Omnipedia
http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ancient_repository_of_knowledge

And aren't they supposed to have the Asgard's knowledge? They're the ones who could turn O'Neill's brain back to normal.
So just use the damned stones for something useful for a change, and get the Asgard's knowledge...

escyos
November 22nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
maybe it doenst download information but connects the user to the ship, they can access the information, control the ship etc but as soon as they are out they have only what they can remeber in there head but it takes a toll on the user and they slowly lose memory

Encoder
November 22nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
I honestly believed that it was the same as the chair platform "chair" rather than anything else.

Perhaps they've jury rigged the interface to allow the transfer of knowledge into children or the like?

:sheppard:

Arga
November 22nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
maybe it doenst download information but connects the user to the ship, they can access the information, control the ship etc but as soon as they are out they have only what they can remeber in there head but it takes a toll on the user and they slowly lose memory

yes, we don't know for sure that it is a device to download knowledge, they only assumed that. It could be just a way to control the ship by thought.
We have no idea of its purpose.
We'll probably discover it later..

Commander Zelix
November 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
I also not sure why they assumed it was an download archive chair. It look much more like an Atlantis-like control chair with electrodes reading your mind to know what to do on it. Since they don't show how Rush and others arrived to that conclusion, we can't know for sure.

Arga
November 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Maybe the electrodes are the old version of the gene-commanded controls, and the sort of gel substance where they put their hands on..
If I was Rush, I'd say I found out it's not a download interface but only a simple harmless helm's chair... But his credibility has gone down lately.... :rolleyes:

Commander Zelix
November 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Maybe the electrodes are the old version of the gene-commanded controls, and the sort of gel substance where they put their hands on..
If I was Rush, I'd say I found out it's not a download interface but only a simple harmless helm's chair...
LOL

If he was really cleaver its what he should said from the start. "I'm not sure what it is, but I think its a control chair mr Young".

"Hey Greer I think its a control chair like in Antartica and Atlantis. Do you want to sit on it and save everybody? Young is ok with it. Good luck, friend!".

Instead of all this fake Icarus planet scheme. :D

frankr
November 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
How about we trust the scientists to know how to do their own jobs?
If they said it was a download device; then it's a download device.

-frank

beafly
November 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM

-frank

Trust is earned. The scientist in question has earned very little thus far in the series. He's proven time and time again that he's willing to either flat out lie, omit or bend/stretch the truth in order to suit his own personal agenda. The writers have succeeded in getting me to question the accuracy of literally every word that comes out of his mouth.

Blindly trust him if you like, but I'll need a good deal more evidence before I do the same.

Commander Zelix
November 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Trust is earned. The scientist in question has earned very little thus far in the series. He's proven time and time again that he's willing to either flat out lie, omit or bend/stretch the truth in order to suit his own personal agenda. The writers have succeeded in getting me to question the accuracy of literally every word that comes out of his mouth.

Blindly trust him if you like, but I'll need a good deal more evidence before I do the same.

And I don't know why Rush would be so in hurry to have someone trying the chair if it had the potential to download the ancient database with potentially the knowledge to make another power unit, like O'Neill before, to gate back directly to earth.

eonflux
November 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM

-frank

The thing is Rush thinks its a download device. However he's not sure.

Eberhardt
November 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Maybe it does both download the knowledge into the person, and can be used to control the ship, but it was left in the download all knowledge into the brain mod before the ship was locked. That way when someone takes the plunge and downloads the knowledge, they can unlock the ship before the massive amounts of knowledge kills him/her. this way we have access to the ship but no super human running around

eonflux
November 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
one thing I don't like is how Rush constantly gives out answers to things and we don't see him figure it out or even a brief explanation as to how he came to a particular conclusion. its just handed to us like 'this is a chair similar to the repository of knowledge device' um ok...?

there was no story or developments that led us through the process of figuring it out. not that I want a long drawn out process or explanation but at least something that would give us some further insight into how the technology fits together / relates to current technology (of the ancients) sort of like in SG1 when we actually see Carter try to figure something. I think something similar would be more fun and engaging than handing us the answer so fast.

I agree with you all the way on this. But as we have seen the writers put more value on crap things going on on Earth than on destiny itself. They have chosen a wrong name for this show.

Blistna
November 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I don't have time right now to read ALL the posts, but...I will.

Anyway, i think it's possible the knowledge being sent to the brain is not the ancient knowledge, but all the knowledge of every planet the Destiny has information on. I mean, think about it. If the ancients thought only they themselves would be on this ship, why put all YOUR information on it...it's not like those people wouldn't know. And I doubt they would put a ship like the Destiny, with all their knowledge, where anyone can get to it. It doesn't seem likely to me. So...yea.

Arwis
November 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I think it was pretty clear how Rush came up with the conclusion.... As we saw chair was activated only when someone turned on the panels.

Rush came
Checked the panels
It was probably written there what this chair does. I mean panels had some kind of interface to control the chair so Rush made assumption based on what was written in the interface.
It explained to everyone!

How hard is to figure it out?

Ltcolshepjumper
November 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM

Uh... that's the point. This is how everyone on the ship feels as well. The point is, Rush is constantly saying stuff, and no one knows how he does it or if he's telling the truth. Now let's think about this for a moment. Rush says that the chair is like the repository. Ok. Why? Why would the Ancients make an early repository (the later one was supposed to how their legacy) on a ship? Think about it.

And remember, Rush first said that it was a neural interface. Interface meaning that it connects to something. To what? the ship's navigational systems, thats what. Now, keep in mind, Rush doesn't want to leave the ship. So it would make sense that he wouldn't tell them that the chair could literalloy turn the ship around. And also consider this. Why would the Ancients make a chair to give the repository info. What info would they have in it?

It's my belief that the chair is actually an early version of the Ancient control chair, and that it doesn't download info into the user's head. Rush didn't want to let them know what it would actually do, even though controlling it would no doubt require tremendous will power. Also, why would TPTB write in a repository that looks like an Ancient control chair?

Jeffer
November 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
i agree the room they found looks like the bridge of the ship and the room they were working in before was the engine room i have no idea why they would put a repository on a ship that they them selves created it makes no since at all

Count
November 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with you all the way on this. But as we have seen the writers put more value on crap things going on on Earth than on destiny itself. They have chosen a wrong name for this show.

I think that's supposed to be part of Rush's character. He has a basic idea of what a device does and spins it, making it look like has all the answers and at the same time, he's able to manipulate people into doing what he needs. I don't think he actually know for certain with anything he seems to be encyclopedic on, he just acts that way until he figures out what a device/technology/concept really is, until then he's just manipulating

Hibblette
November 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think that whoever gets in that chair will be in control that's why it was very silly for Young to tell Rush to just go ahead and do it.

What if he did and then he has complete control of the ship? You don't trust the dude as it is and now he's in control.

Wow!

SSJPabs
November 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I think that the crazy bald marine (forget his name) will commit the "suicide" we see by deciding that he can't live this way anymore, use the chair, discover something that helps and then die.

I thought it was an ancient control chair too, btw.

chemfreak018
November 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
I do think that Rush is going to sit in the chair...

Possible spoilers for "Human"

[SPOILERS][SPOILERS]In the episode, Rush risks his life in a dangerous experiment involving the ship’s computer, and flashes back to the time when he was first recruited into the Stargate program.[/SPOILERS

Giantevilhead
November 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
The Repository was meant to preserve the Ancient's legacy for other races to find so it had all the knowledge of the Ancients in it and it was designed to be used by humans. However, the chair was designed to be used by Ancients so there would be no reason to put the Ancient database in it. Whoever uses the chair will just have a jumble of information that they can't understand or use.

mylestaylor
November 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think it's a control chair. I'm throwing my lot in with the people who think it's a repository of knowledge. It makes sense for the ancients to do something like that. Also, there were restraints to hold someone in place. A control chair wouldn't have that I don't think. I would think the ancients would have perfected neural interfaces before using something like a control chair. Why use something that would have to restrain you to control the ship?

For those of you who think Rush is lying about what it is, the main reason I don't think he is is because it doesn't make sense from his standpoint. Which is going to make it more likely that someone will sit in the chair? If he had said it was a control chair then Young would have been far more likely to let someone sit in it. I just think there is something else that it does that Rush isn't saying and that's why he won't sit in it. Maybe there is a third purpose for it. My first thought was this was an ancient interrogation room and torture chamber. haha

Replicator Todd
November 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
This chair is definitely going to cause an amazing episode later on. I hope.

rsanchez
November 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Did the Ancients expect other races to go on the ship, possibly whichever race inherited their knowledge, since they left references to the Destiny in Atlantis? If so, then most likely it is a repository of knowledge. If not, and the Destiny was meant to be used only by Ancients, then it most likely is a control chair. Ancients would have no need of downloading their own knowledge on a scout ship.

zainea13
November 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
so we know it is either a repository or a control chair or both... many have said "this tech predates the ATA gene" and while that is true, if we remember from Gen. O'Neill having the ATA gene allows you to receive all that info without dying! At a point Thor says "without [his particular gene] he would not have survived the repository of knowledge" ... soooo if they put someone in the chair that has it, they therefore increase that persons chance of survival. :daniel:

DetriusXii
November 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Here's my theory that ties in to the Lucian Alliance.

The Lucian Alliance is concerned in the long term of earth's military might. The Lucian Alliance just broke free from the Go'uld and none of the planets they occupy have the industrial capacity or advanced technology that earth possesses. The Tok'ra, the Ori, the Jaffa, and the Go'uld are all dead in the long term. The Lucian Alliance is the only viable power able to compete against against earth and they can do nothing.

I think the Lucian Alliance knew about the chair. I think they believed it was their one last chance of leveling the playing field and they didn't want earth to obtain it. They know that earth has access to both Ancient and Asgard databases (the Go'uld knew about Atlantis so it's not too far fetched to assume the Lucian Alliance knows about it too).

Razor One
November 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Seems a little bit familiar to me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPrZuHd89VE) ;)

If we look at the chair in that light, it could be used to extract knowledge from rather then download it into someone's brain.

It could have been used to build up a complete working knowledge of the explorations made by the Ancients and more nefariously used as a kind of interrogation method for hostile species. It certainly beats writing mission reports and it could take stock of things that a written report might omit and immediately incorporate it into the ships database.

Count
November 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Here's my theory that ties in to the Lucian Alliance.

The Lucian Alliance is concerned in the long term of earth's military might. The Lucian Alliance just broke free from the Go'uld and none of the planets they occupy have the industrial capacity or advanced technology that earth possesses. The Tok'ra, the Ori, the Jaffa, and the Go'uld are all dead in the long term. The Lucian Alliance is the only viable power able to compete against against earth and they can do nothing.

I think the Lucian Alliance knew about the chair. I think they believed it was their one last chance of leveling the playing field and they didn't want earth to obtain it. They know that earth has access to both Ancient and Asgard databases (the Go'uld knew about Atlantis so it's not too far fetched to assume the Lucian Alliance knows about it too).

There is one big hole in your theory.

The only thing they know of was that there was a 9 chevron address, it was in Atlantis' database only, noone knew what was at the other end of the wormhole, not even the humans with their Ancient, Ancient++ (Atlantis) or Asgard databases, it's highly unlikely the Lucians knew about the 9 chevron address, let alone that there was a repository chair at the other end of it, cause let's face it, they'd NEED a repository to get that kind of info.

EllieVee
November 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
LOL

If he was really cleaver its what he should said from the start. "I'm not sure what it is, but I think its a control chair mr Young".

"Hey Greer I think its a control chair like in Antartica and Atlantis. Do you want to sit on it and save everybody? Young is ok with it. Good luck, friend!".

Instead of all this fake Icarus planet scheme. :D

Rush's basic problem is that he's too honest. He says what something is, Young does his usual dummyspit because he hates Rush, and then Rush is forced to improvise.

jcainhaze
November 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database. Pretty serious entries about planets and their properties. Something isn't matching up. So he badly wants someone else to sit in the chair. But not himself. Seems sorta like a rats plan but after thinking about it maybe he thinks he's the only one that can respond or help whoever sits in the chair. If Rush sits in the chair and things go bad who will help him?

EllieVee
November 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database. Pretty serious entries about planets and their properties. Something isn't matching up. So he badly wants someone else to sit in the chair. But not himself. Seems sorta like a rats plan but after thinking about it maybe he thinks he's the only one that can respond or help whoever sits in the chair. If Rush sits in the chair and things go bad who will help him?

Given how he's constantly putting out fires elsewhere and how useless everyone else seems to have turned out, I'm hardly surprised he thinks that way.

Commander Zelix
November 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database.
Its better to turn your brain off when you watch SGU. Things happen not in a realistic way, but only to advance the plot.

ThePlut
November 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Since we're speculating, since Rush was able to access the database of the seeder ships from that room that the chair was in, the chair is a means of automating that process. It's neither a control chair for the Destiny, nor an "ancient repository" of their knowlege (why would they put that on their own ship anyway?). I think it's specific to that ship, and that mission.

It was meant so that the Ancients who boarded Destiny, thousands of years after it's launch, could have instant access to the knowledge collected thus far. Also, I think the speculation that it would provide detailed working knowledge of the Destiny's systems is highly likely, though not control per se, the assumption might have been that the control codes could be lost (good supposition given that the Atlantis database had a mention of the 9 chevron address, but apparently no entry talking about where it goes, what it does, or what to do when you get there...)

I would even further speculate that it might offer some measure of control of the seeder ships (wouldn't that be cool) so that they could be accessed or repaired, perhaps even programmed to seek out a specific kind of planet?

IMHO, what it would do to a human physiology is completely dependent on how different the Ancients were from current humans, when the Destiny was launched, millions of years ago? Were they highly evolved, pre-Ascension level Ancients? Probably not, but how far along, and how different were they... The closer to "us", the less likely the thing would be to be lethal.

mizzoueng
November 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
+1 with ThePlut

I think the chair will be built up and up and then be a huge disappointment. It will give the user instant access to a "map" of where the seeder ships are or where they have been, there will be a huge mental interactive 3d display of the universe as seen by the combined navigation of the ships and where they dropped gates. They will be able to see "red" gates for dangerous "do not go here" planets and "green" gates that indicate planets with water, food, air, etc essential for Destiny.

Lastly, I think they will throw a curve ball in there, they will make contact with other "Destiny" ships in far far regions of the galaxy. They will be able to communicate with the other ships. This will be done just as Earth finds a way to power another gate to connect to Destiny, they will be dropped on another ship and the two will be able to communicate with each other. There have to be other ships out there, the anceints would not send out MULTIPLE seeder ships in what is assumed every direction if they were just going to send Destiny out in a straight line. Maybe the seeders are following the same path and there are many that are seeding the Galaxies on Destiny's path to the edge of the Universe.

Jericho
November 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm going to throw my vote in with the command chair crowd. Even if it were a repository I think when Destiny was launched the ancients weren't much more biologically advanced than we are now. So I doubt it would be in anyway dangerous, well aside from the fact it is a device designed to directly interact with your brain, and its hasn't been serviced since well, ever.

Those restraints do worry me though, I don't think using the chair is going to be a very pleasant experience.

Pond Hopper
November 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM

Are you sure you want to do that? Really sure?..

Merlin's_Legacy
November 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've seen several people asking the question "Why would the ancients build a repository on Destiny if they were the ones planning on going there."

I think the answer is fairly simple... The ancients knew that Destiny would need millenia to complete it's mission. The people that designed Destiny would be long dead when the intended crew finally got there, so they would have left information for their ancestors on how to repair the Destiny. As society progresses and various technologies fall out of use the knowledge of how to repair those technologies will become less and less common.

TwoLL's
November 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Uh... that's the point. This is how everyone on the ship feels as well. The point is, Rush is constantly saying stuff, and no one knows how he does it or if he's telling the truth.

And yet nobody on the ship musters the curiosity to ask "Why do you say that?" or "How did you come to that conclusion?" I mean, we're not asking for major blurbs of technobabble here, but a bit of an explanation or discussion from all of the scientists on board would seem a tad more realistic than the "Rush said it, so it must be so" we appear to be getting from them so far, particularly given the trust issues he seems to have.

EllieVee
November 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
And yet nobody on the ship musters the curiosity to ask "Why do you say that?" or "How did you come to that conclusion?" I mean, we're not asking for major blurbs of technobabble here, but a bit of an explanation or discussion from all of the scientists on board would seem a tad more realistic than the "Rush said it, so it must be so" we appear to be getting from them so far, particularly given the trust issues he seems to have.

But it isn't 'Rush said it, so it must be so'. He's always disbelieved, made out to be a liar, or undermined. They blame him for getting them stranded there but there was a valid scientific reason for dialling the nineth chevron instead of Earth or anywhere else in the Milky Way. So far, no one has said 'Why did you do that?' They just seem to assume that he did it maliciously.

garhkal
November 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
It was meant so that the Ancients who boarded Destiny, thousands of years after it's launch, could have instant access to the knowledge collected thus far.

After more thought (and a rewatch) that is my opinion now as well.

TwoLL's
November 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
But it isn't 'Rush said it, so it must be so'. He's always disbelieved, made out to be a liar, or undermined. They blame him for getting them stranded there but there was a valid scientific reason for dialling the nineth chevron instead of Earth or anywhere else in the Milky Way. So far, no one has said 'Why did you do that?' They just seem to assume that he did it maliciously.

Actually, I think there was a fair bit of discussion about why Rush dialled the Destiny rather than Earth or another MW address in "Air", though it seems to have been dropped rather quickly since then, and the disbelief and undermining comes mostly from Young so far that I've seen. In "Earth", it was clear Rush was working with at least a couple of the other scientists to set up his little performance art piece, but since then we haven't seen any real interactions there. We do know that Young is using Eli as a spy against Rush, but we don't really know what the other scientists/civilians think at this point.

Who knows, maybe they actually are having these discussions on board the Destiny and we just don't know because the writers thought we'd all be more interested in Scott's ex and the Telford/Young/Young's wife story-lines.

It goes back to whether SGU is really making the best use of its sci-fi elements to drive the story. To me, the chair offers some real potential to examine the crew's morality concerning "ends justifying the means" type situations given the potential for knowledge the chair might represent versus the risk to whatever poor sod they choose to sit in it. Its the sort of question good sci-fi would explore. We'll just have to wait and see if SGU decides to do so in any meaningful fashion.

EllieVee
November 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
I think in Earth, they went to him. I also, from her attitude, think that Wray was asking him to intervene.

I don't recall much of a discussion in Air aside from when Young was bellowing, 'Dammit Rush!' at him.

It's interesting because:
In Life, at the end when Young is spying on Rush, we see Brody come into frame and give a glare. Now, the transcript suggests he's glaring at Rush (now presumably knowing that Rush lied) but to me, Brody actually looks past Rush and glares at the kino. Should there be a division, Brody will be on the front line. That much was obvious from the conversation he, Park and Volker had in front of Rush, saying that Rush would get the blame if anything went wrong with the chair.

frankr
November 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM

So Rush is the only scientist on board?
And only Rush can tell the difference between a control chair and a download device?

If it is a control chair; don't you think one of the other scientists would have come forward with "Rush is wrong.. it's a control chair" during the episode?

-frank

Telemachus
November 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
From the ads for next weeks show, seems like a murder mystery.

Thinking someone unexpected could covertly sit in the chair... go a little nuts kill and not remeber it ? Maybe it's not calibrated for humans or something.

GhostPoet
November 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think they are making a big mistake by not letting someone sit in the chair. There are a handful of people who would be more than willing to do it, I say let them. Science isn't safe 100% of the time...in science there are always opportunities of great risk, but often times the rewards are greater.

I'm with Rush...let someone sit in the chair.

beafly
November 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I believe that someone will sit in the chair.

nx01a
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Judging from what happened/was said in this episode though, I'm thinking that at some point Rush and Greer will agree to put him (Greer) in the chair. Whether that results in Greer dying or not, I'm not prepared to speculate just yet.Same thoughts exactly.
The fact that the chair's got restraints means that the process isn't an easy one. Jack's experiences with the far more advanced repositories left him weak afterwards, so who knows what'll happen with this chair.
Now... Wouldn't it be hilarious if the device doesn't actually download anything but instead uploads your consciousness into the computer? You want the ship? Control it yourself. :D Even if that's not the case, I just know the chair doesn't work the way they think it does. Merely sacrificing someone for the relevant codes would be far too easy.

Count
November 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Same thoughts exactly.
The fact that the chair's got restraints means that the process isn't an easy one. Jack's experiences with the far more advanced repositories left him weak afterwards, so who knows what'll happen with this chair.
Now... Wouldn't it be hilarious if the device doesn't actually download anything but instead uploads your consciousness into the computer? You want the ship? Control it yourself. :D Even if that's not the case, I just know the chair doesn't work the way they think it does. Merely sacrificing someone for the relevant codes would be far too easy.

The stones are some of the oldest tech known, next to the gates themselves, maybe the Destiny control chair/repository acts the same way? Keeps the mind in the body, but allows the mind to sort of act as tho it's directly in the ship itself, the person feels the ship as if it were their body. Tho we've seen the repositories themselves, they can hold an "advanced" ancient consciousness (Merlin) so it's not a far cry.

Control_Chair
November 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Since we're speculating, since Rush was able to access the database of the seeder ships from that room that the chair was in, the chair is a means of automating that process. It's neither a control chair for the Destiny, nor an "ancient repository" of their knowledge ... I think is it specific to that ship, and that mission.

It was meant so that the Ancients who boarded Destiny, thousands of years after its launch, could have instant access to the knowledge collected thus far.

Despite my name, having watched the episode I agree with what you have said about the chair being a precursor to both the control chairs and the repositories of knowledge, both seem to use a neural interface to link with the subjects mind, either to download information or allow access to various systems. It is possible the technologies diverged at a later date to become the control chairs and the repositories,

However
On the stargate wiki it lists several rooms on the Destiny
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny,
(and although there is no page on it yet) one of the rooms listed is something called the Nexus room. Now as the word nexus means

1. A means of connection; a link or tie:
2. A connected series or group.
3. The core or center: "

I am wondering if the chair room is the nexus room and serves as a connection to the ships computer? and the chair on the Destiny is capable of both downloading information into a person’s brain and allowing access to the ships computer which would make for some interesting storylines IMO.

EllieVee
November 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I think they are making a big mistake by not letting someone sit in the chair. There are a handful of people who would be more than willing to do it, I say let them. Science isn't safe 100% of the time...in science there are always opportunities of great risk, but often times the rewards are greater.

I'm with Rush...let someone sit in the chair.

You'll like this one. The 2005 Nobel Prize for Medicine (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4304290.stm) was awarded to two Australian scientists who discovered that ulcers were not caused by stress but were a gastric bacterial infection. One of them infected himself with some pretty dangerous bacteria to cause an ulcer so they could prove that it could be cured by a course of anti-biotics.

Science is risky. If someone wants to take the risk of sitting in the chair, let them. We already know that if it goes pearshaped that Rush will get the blame; he knows it, too.

Count
November 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
You'll like this one. The 2005 Nobel Prize for Medicine (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4304290.stm) was awarded to two Australian scientists who discovered that ulcers were not caused by stress but were a gastric bacterial infection. One of them infected himself with some pretty dangerous bacteria to cause an ulcer so they could prove that it could be cured by a course of anti-biotics.

Science is risky. If someone wants to take the risk of sitting in the chair, let them. We already know that if it goes pearshaped that Rush will get the blame; he knows it, too.

Not _quite_ right, but close. They discovered that _most_ ulcers are caused by bacteria, not all :) For those who are interested, the bacteria is Helibacter Pylori B.

But i digress..

Carter1994
November 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I've been giving the trailers an in-depth review, and if you look at this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv4xGLynNsM) (released late October/early September, spoilers for all of season one),

(spoilers for an unknown episode)
you can see someone in the chair around 0:24. Or, see the pic below:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/Carter1994/Idunno.jpg
And by looking at that, it seems like this person is male, is wearing black shirt, is caucasian... and is wearing a watch. Obviously it can't be Greer, and since they appear to be wearing black, this excludes Rush. This leaves Young, Scott, or a redshirt. If I were to guess, I'd say it's Scott.

Eternal Density
November 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe it's actually a Zanax detector.

Count
November 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've been giving the trailers an in-depth review, and if you look at this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv4xGLynNsM) (released late October/early September, spoilers for all of season one),

(spoilers for an unknown episode)
you can see someone in the chair around 0:24. Or, see the pic below:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/Carter1994/Idunno.jpg
And by looking at that, it seems like this person is male, is wearing black shirt, is caucasian... and is wearing a watch. Obviously it can't be Greer, and since they appear to be wearing black, this excludes Rush. This leaves Young, Scott, or a redshirt. If I were to guess, I'd say it's Scott.

Urm, where did you see black? I see in that shot is white and grey being washed out by blue, a caucasian man wearing a partly rolled up shirt and wearing rush's watch on his left wrist... amazingly enough, just like rush does.

Carter1994
November 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM
*shrugs* I have the flu; I'm lucky if I can look at it for more than a few seconds without the world spinning. :P So I'll take your word for it.

jwgrlrrajn
November 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I would prefer that Chloe sit in the chair. Give the girl something useful to do for a change. *rolls eyes*

jelgate
November 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I would prefer that Chloe sit in the chair. Give the girl something useful to do for a change. *rolls eyes*Yes lets kill a person to make them useful:rolleyes:

Choo1701
November 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Just thinking (and i haven't read all of this thread) BUT does anything think the chair wasn't put there by the Ancients?

I know theirs been hints dropped that maybe the Icuras Base Personnal weren't the first people there (ie: the pod flying off at the end of Air Part 3, and Joseph Mallozzi has hinted it on his blog). but still, theres some weird blue glowing props in the chair room that don't look like the other stuff on Destiny. [see 'Life' screencap here (http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-305184)]

Maybe Rush doesn't know what it does, and made up the "pre-head sucker" stuff so someone could sit in it, and thus see what it does?

Of course they could be red herrings, and i'll properly be proven wrong.

nx01a
November 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
You'd assume Rush would instantly notice non-Ancient technology... But, then again...

Captain Obvious
November 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Here are The Cap'n 's spoiler'd speculations

I have my suspicions that Cloe is going to sneak in and get into the chair, since she feels like she has no purpose. This would make her character much more interesting, especially if she travels home to her mother and starts accidentally talking Ancient instead of English. Or even better if it overrides her personality and they need to call in Daniel Jackson to communicate with her in some obscure ancient dialect.

OR Another sneaking suspicion is that the chair might actually make the person the ships AI, kind of like a living key card. The only way to override the systems is to actually have someone connected to the ship. This would explain why non-humanoid aliens couldn't get control, they didn't have compatible body chemistry.

OR
It is not a database device, but a primitive control chair, and the crew is all worked up about nothing more than a simple device that will allow them to fly the ship!

Dragon_Heart
November 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
:rolleyes:Yes because someone doesn't have a skill for the Destiny lets kill her. That makes lots of sense.

Saves valuable resources for the people who actually DO something.

Although, doing that would be in the very essence of giving up your humanity, which im sure Rush would not have a problem with.

Dragon_Heart
November 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
It is not a database device, but a primitive control chair, and the crew is all worked up about nothing more than a simple device that will allow them to fly the ship!

Giving the crew the ability to fly the ship would have massive benefits, and it is most definately not a "simple device".

With that they could get themselves to that naquadah planet, stay there until they figure out how to rig up the power, and gate home.

garhkal
November 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have my suspicions that Cloe is going to sneak in and get into the chair, since she feels like she has no purpose. This would make her character much more interesting, especially if she travels home to her mother and starts accidentally talking Ancient instead of English. Or even better if it overrides her personality and they need to call in Daniel Jackson to communicate with her in some obscure ancient dialect.

That might be a way to get DJ onto the show.

Another sneaking suspicion is that the chair might actually make the person the ships AI, kind of like a living key card. The only way to override the systems is to actually have someone connected to the ship. This would explain why non-humanoid aliens couldn't get control, they didn't have compatible body chemistry.

That is an interesting hypothesis. WE know some other systems required a person to be there to operate them, otherwise they did nothing. Maybe this does too.

koroush47
November 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I hope not I like her.

Chloe :jack_new_anime25:

jelgate
November 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Saves valuable resources for the people who actually DO something.

Although, doing that would be in the very essence of giving up your humanity, which im sure Rush would not have a problem with.

It also goes against almost every ethical rule in the book. Rush would be okay with it but Rush is okay with anything as long as he is safe. I doubt the more reasonable people like Young or Wray would support such a action

EllieVee
November 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
It also goes against almost every ethical rule in the book. Rush would be okay with it but Rush is okay with anything as long as he is safe. I doubt the more reasonable people like Young or Wray would support such a action

Rush is okay with anything as long as the ship is safe.

jelgate
November 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Rush is okay with anything as long as the ship is safe.

Kind of the same thing as since if the ship dies he would die

EllieVee
November 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Kind of the same thing as since if the ship dies he would die

Not really the same thing at all. I don't get where you're getting this whole selfishest man alive thing from. It's simply not there, either scriptwise aside from when Young or one of his myrmidions says it, and it's certainly not how Carlyle plays it.

jelgate
November 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Not really the same thing at all. I don't get where you're getting this whole selfishest man alive thing from. It's simply not there, either scriptwise aside from when Young or one of his myrmidions says it, and it's certainly not how Carlyle plays it.

Because its obvious. Almost everything Rush does is for his selfish motives. It becomes interesting when his motives cross with the crew's motives. He has yet to do something or make a sacrifice for the general intesrest of the crew.

EllieVee
November 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Because its obvious. Almost everything Rush does is for his selfish motives. It becomes interesting when his motives cross with the crew's motives. He has yet to do something or make a sacrifice for the general intesrest of the crew.

And to me, it's very obvious that's not the case. You've been told that he's selfish and to you therefore he is. Try thinking outside the box to what isn't being told to you.

jelgate
November 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
And to me, it's very obvious that's not the case. You've been told that he's selfish and to you therefore he is. Try thinking outside the box to what isn't being told to you.

I'll think how I well pleased. If he wasn't selfish then he wouldn't have gambled the lives of 80+ people on an unknown location

EllieVee
November 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Okay, well, the first part of that post made no sense at all but whatever.

nx01a
November 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
He'll think how he dang well pleases, I believe Jel meant. :)
Of course Rush is selfish. It's very difficult for me to believe he's motivated by anything else [apart from a touch of megalomania no doubt induced by the woman in his picture]. He has nothing else in his life but the project. He wants to be the one to unlock the secrets of the Destiny, so... He got them stranded there, he created a reason to stop the gate-in-sun dialing, he stayed behind when the ship was flying into a star because he believed this might be part of the ship's normal functioning, he won't get into the chair because he wants to survive with his precious Destiny, he created the fake planetary survey info to get someone [not him] into the chair... As long as he gets what he wants, everyone else can die. He's selfish.

Speaking of obvious... Cap'n Obvious, I'm thinking very much along your lines in all respects, except I'd replace Chloe with Greer. There's a part of me that would love to see an Ancient Jack rehash in Ancient Greer. :) If the chair is a proto-control chair, then Scott's the most, ahem, obvious choice to pilot it. But what if a person with a specific focus [enviromnental systems, sensors, propulsion, weapons, etc.] has to use the chair for fine operations? Sure, Carsclone flew Atlantis and fired the weapons, but what if you need a pilot for the finesse flying, a scientist to work the sensors to look for something specific, etc. It certainly would use the 'ensemble' cast. :) Probably not, I can see loopholes in that theory, but I thought it was an interesting one nonetheless. :S The chair could easily turn [some] of the wrong people into the right people.

EllieVee
November 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
He'll think how he dang well pleases, I believe Jel meant. :)
Of course Rush is selfish. It's very difficult for me to believe he's motivated by anything else [apart from a touch of megalomania no doubt induced by the woman in his picture]. He has nothing else in his life but the project. He wants to be the one to unlock the secrets of the Destiny, so... He got them stranded there, he created a reason to stop the gate-in-sun dialing, he stayed behind when the ship was flying into a star because he believed this might be part of the ship's normal functioning, he won't get into the chair because he wants to survive with his precious Destiny, he created the fake planetary survey info to get someone [not him] into the chair... As long as he gets what he wants, everyone else can die. He's selfish.

Sobs over a photo of himself and a woman and you get megalomania from that? Ooookay. :rolleyes:

nx01a
November 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yes. :)
He believes himself to be the authority on what everyone should do on the ship, and this God complex is what he's using to further his ends, ends no doubt influenced by and in a futile effort to make up for some traumatic lack of power he experienced with the woman in the picture. Considering the relationships the other people on the ship had/are having, I doubt his is bright and rosy.
Do try and refute the other examples I listed re: Rush being selfish.:)

EllieVee
November 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yes. :)
He believes himself to be the authority on what everyone should do on the ship, and this God complex is what he's using to further his ends, ends no doubt influenced by and in a futile effort to make up for some traumatic lack of power he experienced with the woman in the picture. Considering the relationships the other people on the ship had/are having, I doubt his is bright and rosy.
Do try and refute the other examples I listed re: Rush being selfish.:)

Ah, that's just funny.

nx01a
November 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
So... Back to the chair...

Telemachus
November 27th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Could be just a waste disposal unit.

Rush is afraid sit on the throne (since only he has noticed the control activation handle), in fear of the ancients waste control A.I. err.. flush, woosh...

He could be on a shuttle unknown disappearing off into the distance without any explaination at the end of the episode =) j/k ing.

Recall these are "primitive" ancients, or not the advanced as the those ones that left the geiger-like-headgrabber- knowledge-dumper interface.

I'm guessing more like the present crew so less possiblity of mind blowout.Plus it's been done before.

Really seems like it could be more likely a command and control interface throne.

Keys to the castle or systems ? or a intergalactic toilet, Just something inbetween =)

Sonicbluemustang
November 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM
It possibly could be just a medical chair of some sort. :)

TENTHIUS
November 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
So, who do you think is that person in the chair? (time 0:23):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2RrBJTsfg&feature=related
Who wears watch? Dr. Rush?

g.o.d
November 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Jeremy Franklin

http://stargate.mgm.com/assets//Still/1253894646/10819/preview-FullSize-sgu0103-0108xe.jpg

spoiler for size

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/nup_0039x.jpg

Telemachus
November 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Well he is a risk taker and shot once ?

Wasn't he the one the the bald angry guy bumped into in the hallway ?

during his" interview" said .

Whitering
November 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I am a little surprised Rush wouldn't want to get in the chair, but I understand why not. If someone else gets in the chair and it isn't lethal Rush loses his priority of importance on the ship. In fact, he would become extremely redundant.

natyanayaki
November 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'll think how I well pleased. If he wasn't selfish then he wouldn't have gambled the lives of 80+ people on an unknown location

He's def selfish, but I don't think he's as selfish as the writers want us to believe, at least, they haven't been able to prove that YET. Having said that, I don't think Rush cares if HE lives or dies, if he had to choose his life vs. the existence of the ship, he'd choose the ship.

If someone else gets in the chair and it isn't lethal Rush loses his priority of importance on the ship. In fact, he would become extremely redundant.

Not necessarily. Even if sitting in the chair isn't lethal, there's a huge chance that whatever knowledge the chair gives (if it does give knowledge) would need translating. If the person who sits in the chair doesn't know Ancient (which apparently Rush is the most proficient at), then Rush would still be needed, whereas, if he were to sit in the chair, perhaps the knowledge wouldn't help because nobody would be able to translate, Rush's mind would be flooded with the knowledge, and in theory nobody would be proficient enough to translate it. As THE translator, I still think Rush would be immensely important.

lvalen18
November 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
When I saw it.. I went "CONTROL CHAIR!! ..... The those restraints shot out...and oooohhh

Telemachus
November 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Someone should plant info in the ships database that it's an ascension machine, maybe thats where the crew disapppeared to.

Rush would be the first in line to test.

Didn't see all the esipodes, presume they didn't find any corpses ?

iamtoe
November 29th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Someone should plant info in the ships database that it's an ascension machine, maybe thats where the crew disapppeared to.

it was an unmanned ship, people were never on it

iamtoe
November 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM

it was an unmanned ship, people were never on it

Telemachus
November 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM
ok, no crew.

AS far as we know.

Planning to have someday certainly.

Nice showers though.

RepliVeggie
December 1st, 2009, 02:59 AM
I believe the char is only to download ship records and all the stuff the Ancient Captain would need when gating aboard. There is no reason for the Ancients to put a repository. Unless Ancients are absent minded and need to be retaught how to use their dinosaur technology.

I had the scene in my head that the Ancient team gates aboard and the Captain goes and gets downloaded along with bridge crew maybe and is instantly aware of all ship records and how to run the ship as well as what may need to be repaired.

Starborne
December 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
She clearly has skills.

lol that she does....lol

Cory Holmes
December 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Rush didn't want to sit in the chair because, while he desperatly wants the information/control it has, he's not sure it'll be safe. One of the hallmarks of a Macheavellian personality like his is the value he puts on his life/goals over that of all others. He's perfectly willing to risk someone else's life (see the suggestions he made in Air II) but not quite his own. Young did really well in calling him on it, too.

jcainhaze
December 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
That chair looks more like some place for a Psych patient...or torture chamber.

AdamTM
December 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
That chair looks more like some place for a Psych patient...or torture chamber.

Introducing A Clockwork Destiny, the new episode written by Stanley Kubrick.
The chair plays you episodes of Friends on loop, and you have to watch it.

bradly08
December 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM

Doesn't sound soo bad :jack_new_anime06:

Captain Obvious
December 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM

and it isn't even an episode with marcel the monkey, since he was the only thing that ever made that show watchable, and only then when VERY drunk.

Raj_2006
December 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
whta was they said they used to power the icacaris project

Carter1994
December 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Behold, from the transcript of Air, I:

DANIEL: Icarus Base was established on a planet discovered two years ago to have a uniquely powerful core. The entire purpose of the project is to hopefully one day dial the nine chevron address found in the Ancient database...
SCOTT: ...It's something to do with how this one's tied into the plane of the power.

Life
WALLACE: Woah! Almost the same mineral composition as the Icarus planet.

YOUNG: How long?

RUSH: One year away. Naturally-occurring naqahdria throughout the planet's crust. Ample power for our needs.

So, there you have it.

Naturally occuring naqahdria... *headdesk* :rolleyes:

rsanchez
December 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
If the Ori could dial a supergate across millions of light years of space and send huge space ships using only a black hole the mass of a planet, why couldn't Earth do that as well? With Asgard and Ancient databases it's just unlikely that they would find some obscure gate address before they find the Ancients' extensive notes on gate function and structure. Is naqadriah really better than a black hole or a zpm at dialing long-distance?

EllieVee
December 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Naturally occuring naqahdria... *headdesk* :rolleyes:

I think that's the writers not checking their own canon.

rsanchez
December 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think that's the writers not checking their own canon.

Well, you never know, it might occur naturally somewhere. Plutonium was first discovered artificially before it was discovered in nature.