PDA

View Full Version : The music in Life

UniGater
November 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I am new to stargate with universe, I started watching stargate when Uni came out, and i've gone through the first 8 seasons of sg1 and 2 of atlantis...

This music is terrible, even for a "newb" to the show. Please... people, I really hope you don't think the new people to the show enjoy the musical scores and that's why SG TPTB are doing it.. because we don't.

Jeff-B
November 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I've liked Universe as much as I liked the previous shows, but that song in the beginning and end of this episode was incredibly out of place.

Specter177
November 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Really? Did you listen to the words?

Replicator Todd
November 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
The music fits nicely.

Jeff-B
November 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Really? Did you listen to the words?

Oh, the words fit nicely. It was the music of the song that didn't.

the-alguroan
November 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
it was odd but in a strange way it fit in perfectly. i mean its pretty strange to be on a space ship doing yoga with no way to get home which is billions of lightyears away.

TheoryCraft
November 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I liked the music in this episode.

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, this music was GREAT. The lyrics fit perfectly, and the music itself was cool. :D

Worst Day Since Yesterday, by Flogging Molly if anyone wants to know. ;)

Jeff O'Connor
November 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm glad AVFan and I can agree this time around. The music was indeed great.

yessika
November 20th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the music was awesome!

Landers
November 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
That twangy song gave me a headache, but this episode was so awful maybe I was just hoping it would end soon.

UniGater
November 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
The words are fine, but the music itself for the episode... ugh... well.. than again, this was the worst episode of the series thus far (I turned it off midway, I'll watch it all later on rewind.)

rexpop
November 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Worked well for me. Was certainly better than the franchises other attempts at introducing vocal music into the show.

Lord Hurin
November 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
The song mentioned by AVFan was well-placed and is also a good song by a good band (ok, that's subjective, but in my mind it never hurts!)

Some of the other music in the ep was lacking though. I thought I heard 3 different songs at 4 different times. I could be going crazy though...

DigiFluid
November 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm glad AVFan and I can agree this time around. The music was indeed great.
And I have to disagree with you :eek:

My biggest problem with this music (as well as what was at the end of Air 3) was that, lyrically, it was so bloody obvious and shoved in your face because of that. For a show that's so....I don't know, more 'adult' (for lack of a better word) than its comparatively simplistic predecessors, shoving things like this in just feels wrong somehow. For me, the series kind of demands a more subtle choice of musical accompaniment than it's been getting thus far.

Saquist
November 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
The music fits nicely.

At the time I recall begging for the music to stop...

the fifth man
November 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
At the time I recall begging for the music to stop...

I have to agree on this one. I thought the lyrics were fine. The band just didn't work for me at all.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
the next ep will feature music from jay-Z

MattSilver 3k
November 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I liked it. It worked, lyrically, and I have no beef with the band or anything. And Young beating up Telford when the little rock-y riff started = Priceless.

MediaSavant
November 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'm an eclectic music person. I welcome all kinds of music to this show. The music worked for me.

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The choice of music for SGU has probably been the most polarizing issue on these forums in a long while. It seems as though EVERYONE either loves it, or abhors it. There seems to be very little in-between.

Detox
November 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know how you can hate Flogging Molly.

Best Folk Punk band around.

rsanchez
November 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The words are fine, but the music itself for the episode... ugh... well.. than again, this was the worst episode of the series thus far (I turned it off midway, I'll watch it all later on rewind.)
Second half of Life was definitely much better than the first half.

The tunes in this ep were pretty much just annoying to me, esp. the intro/conclusion music. I hope this was just them going nuts that they could finally get mainstream music initially, and that in later eps they learned to be more selective with their musical selections.

Detox
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Second half of Life was definitely much better than the first half.

The tunes in this ep were pretty much just annoying to me, esp. the intro/conclusion music. I hope this was just them going nuts that they could finally get mainstream music initially, and that in later eps they learned to be more selective with their musical selections.

Or maybe some people just don't appreciate good music.

Pharaoh Atem
November 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I don't know how you can hate Flogging Molly.

Best Folk Punk band around.
i don't like punk

AVFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
i don't like punk

Personally I like the folk aspect to it more than the punk.

PG15
November 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I am new to stargate with universe, I started watching stargate when Uni came out, and i've gone through the first 8 seasons of sg1 and 2 of atlantis...

This music is terrible, even for a "newb" to the show. Please... people, I really hope you don't think the new people to the show enjoy the musical scores and that's why SG TPTB are doing it.. because we don't.

Who's we, mortal?

I think that was kind of the point, actually. The...uh..."happy-ness" of the music put a surreal bent on the depressing situation aboard the Destiny. Instead of having a mopey song, TPTB decided to go the completely opposite direction, and it resulted in a IMHO very cool sequence.

Jeff O'Connor
November 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Well for what it's worth, I can't really disagree with the point you brought up. The songs do come off as too forced and obvious.

solar wind
November 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I really liked the song.
But I also really liked the music that was playing off the player when they were "stuck" on the planet in 'Time'. It was only a short clip before someone said to turn it off.
Could anyone tell what song that was?

Cold Fuzz
November 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM
Who's we, mortal?

I think that was kind of the point, actually. The...uh..."happy-ness" of the music put a surreal bent on the depressing situation aboard the Destiny. Instead of having a mopey song, TPTB decided to go the completely opposite direction, and it resulted in a IMHO very cool sequence.

Actually I think the upbeatness of the song made the situation on the Destiny seem even more depressing to me, especially Scott on the verge of tears at the end of the episode. I mean, he finds out he's a father and there's absolutely no way he can be with his son. Absolutely devastating. :(

Jeff-B
November 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
After thinking about it, maybe it was the comparative volume of the music that seemed so out of place. Maybe it wouldn't have thrown me as much if it wasn't quite as jarringly loud compared to the rest of the sound mix. Guess I'll have to find time to rewatch it.

For the record, I like many types of music, folk and punk included.

kaliel
November 21st, 2009, 03:17 AM
I rather enjoyed the music. In a way it clashed with the episode, but I believe that was probably what they were aiming for. It worked, in an odd way.

Then again, I am a massive Flogging Molly fan.

MechaThor
November 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Out of all the negative things about the episode "Life", (which not a bad episode at the end of the day), my number one annoyance was that awful, awful music that appeared not only once but THREE times during this episode. Wheres the awesome Mass Effect music gone, instead of this dribble? Not only was it out of place, but also terrible.

Or maybe some people just don't appreciate good music.

There is no such thing as "Good Music", just perspectives on taste.

and MY inbuilt Musicometer tells me that the music in Life was FAIL, even an Unas could sing better. Of course this is just my perspective.

MattSilver 3k
November 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Out of all the negative things about the episode "Life", (which not a bad episode at the end of the day), my number one annoyance was that awful, awful music that appeared not only once but THREE times during this episode. Wheres the awesome Mass Effect music gone, instead of this dribble? Not only was it out of place, but also terrible.

Uhh... I think that song appeared at the start and the end, so twice... And the other stuff was there, I think!

thekillman
November 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
at first, the song was alienating. and then, at the end, i heard, "today's the worst day since yesterday" and it all fell in place.

and i laughed. partially because of chloe/eli

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

My biggest problem with this music (as well as what was at the end of Air 3) was that, lyrically, it was so bloody obvious and shoved in your face because of that. For a show that's so....I don't know, more 'adult' (for lack of a better word) than its comparatively simplistic predecessors, shoving things like this in just feels wrong somehow. For me, the series kind of demands a more subtle choice of musical accompaniment than it's been getting thus far.

Don't buy into the fallacy that SGU is more adult, in no way is it so, it's got all the elements of shows that cater to young 20 year olds, i.e. prime time soap opera style 90210 melodrama. So NO, IMO it's not an adult show at all, nothing about it it caters to an older mature audience.

and therefore you have that "in your face" placement of angst style music at the same audio level (if not louder) than the speaking going on. I hated the music during the lesbian scenes, it was just soooo sapppy!!!! too overdone, the lesbian scenes were nice but the music just killed it.

P.S. by the way this use of songs with lyrics being interjected all over the place of good tv is getting way out of hand. It started up with Grey's really overusing it and now it's filtered into other shows, like House,, it used to have one or 2, but now it's putting more into the show and it's getting very annoying.

So Please SGU cut down the superfluous selling of some new song which probably you were paid for placement by the record company involved, enough already.

Now the song at the beginning, although somewhat shocking in it's style and tone, had relevance. (okay maybe it went on a bit too long) but as a Canadian it felt very Canadian to me, did any other Canadian on here also get that impression?

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
because we don't.People really need to stop using the plural n such an all-encompassing manner. There are plenty of people who liked the music. I thought it was okay. They've done better, with "Breathe", but they could've done worse as well.

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
the next ep will feature music from jay-Z

Yup SGU is all grown-up,,,most of us over the hill always play JayZ music LMAO

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 06:21 AM
The choice of music for SGU has probably been the most polarizing issue on these forums in a long while. It seems as though EVERYONE either loves it, or abhors it. There seems to be very little in-between.

The reason for that is that when you've had years and years of extremely superb instrumental music from Joel Goldsmith, it's very hard to swallow the drivel that is being shoved into our ears!

BrokenHearted
November 21st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Yes, the music was crap. So bad I felt like turning the episode off.

I think they're trying to go the Enterprise route. Everyone was surprised when they found out Enterprise would be the first star trek show to have a vocal opening theme, and many hated it.

As far as I know, this show is the first time vocal music has been used in Stargate.

I'm all for vocal music. In fact, I often wonder why in Star Trek, music doesn't exist except for classical music or crap like that. But if they're going to put vocal music in, let them put good music because this music just puts me off and I wouldn't be surprised if other people are put off.

Killfetzer
November 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
The music for this episode was great.

I really got the LOST feeling (and I'm a big fan of LOST) :)

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
Yup SGU is all grown-up,,,most of us over the hill always play JayZ music LMAOSee, that's your mistake right there - assuming that, in TV land, "adult" means over 50. That's what they already had with SGA. And, well, those demos just aren't interesting to most people. Especially when older people generally enjoy more family-oriented stuff. And SGA worked as such. SGU is more "adult" in that it targets the 20-40 crowd, who DO deal with such drama.

beafly
November 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM
I thought the music would have been more appropriate for a rush centric episode.

But, it worked in this one i guess.

Captain Obvious
November 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM

The music is used to actually set a tone...the reason the song felt weird was because you were supposed to feel weird...like people were actually doing normal things on this weird alien ship, actually having thier lives turn routine.

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
See, that's your mistake right there - assuming that, in TV land, "adult" means over 50. That's what they already had with SGA. And, well, those demos just aren't interesting to most people. Especially when older people generally enjoy more family-oriented stuff. And SGA worked as such. SGU is more "adult" in that it targets the 20-40 crowd, who DO deal with such drama.

Oh and you think people over 40 don't deal with drama LMAO, okay LOL

It's just that they have learned better how to filter out the shallow irrelevant ups and downs of life, and when it's shoved down your throat it becomes just plain annoying.

reddevil18
November 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Oh and you think people over 40 don't deal with drama LMAO, okay LOL

It's just that they have learned better how to filter out the shallow irrelevant ups and downs of life, and when it's shoved down your throat it becomes just plain annoying.
But see, that's my point. Older audiences would much rather watch something simply entertaining because, well, I wouldn't say they've become jaded, but...you know...Like you say, they tend to find the kind of drama they experienced a decade or more previously, well, annoying. In terms of audience appeal, when you're saying "more adult-oriented", you're referring to the 20 and 30-year-olds. Now, the drama on SGU is hit and miss with me, even though I'm part of that target audience, but I still think it's far more relatable than SG-1 and SGA ever were.

Ukko
November 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM
I liked this episode alot and thought the music fit in nicely.

UniGater
November 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Yes thank you I know what the point of the music was and who was singing it as well as what genre it is categorized in. That is music that I saw played live at warped tour many years in a row up until about 05 from 00.

Seeing that in an SGU episode felt extremely out of place. Maybe after all it was the lack of kids in a teeny moshpit shoving each other over stepping on someone's shoelaces.

FireCat
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't like the songs. Makes it feel like the episode ran short and they need to toss in a few filler quick scenes tied to a song to hit the magic minute marker. Besides, that last song was awful to me.

wargrafix
November 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
its happy music...for a screwed up situation. worked well.

leiasky
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hated the music. Still feels like Grey's Anatomy in space. Meh.

wargrafix
November 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hated the music. Still feels like Grey's Anatomy in space. Meh.

it is grey's anatomy.

MechaThor
November 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hopefully from now they will start to reduce the number of real world songs in SGU. Although I hated the songs from this episode, I can understand why they did it, to give them scenes some "Humanity" and "Life". However In Stargate I have always felt that the Joel Goldsmith musical scores are perfect, especially the newer Mass Effect styled music we have been getting in SGU.

Having branded material and real artists playing can really take you out of the scene, and feel out of place, especially in the Science Fiction realm. Also as seen here it dose not reflect an entire audience's musical tastes, with people like myself having scenes ruined by music I consider to be terrible. Which is why the classic orchestral scores from Joel have always worked so well as they cover a neutral ground that all music fans can appreciate, it also sets a consistent tone for the entire series.

If they are going to use real world music fair enough, but please use it few and far between.

Vladius
November 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
First song was good, second one made a cheesy scene even more cheesy.

thekillman
November 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
there is this word. i think it's a verb. and i believe it's called...... dislike.

seriously, why is everything either "HATE" or "LOVE". it's really bugging me. one thread burns it down, the other lifts it to heaven. what happened with the word "dislike", because every guy who doesn't love it uses the word "HATE".

the begin/end song has a meaning. strange music, perhaps, but doesn't that fit the very thing the episode shows? today's the worst day since yesterday. yesterday was Time, everyone died twice, disease and killer aliens. worst day. today, the current episode, everyone deals with failure and mental problems and well, all kinds of stuff and it sucked for a lot of people. it's a bad day.

the song at the beginning is strange, but once you've seen the episode, it's suddenly crystal clear. the song is completely right, dead-on lyrics, and an odd tune, odd melody that fits the oddness of everyone's situation, from failing hydroponics labs to children to missing loved ones, to puking and what not.

people can dislike the song. but i think nobody can say that it was out of place

missmobius
November 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
But see, that's my point. Older audiences would much rather watch something simply entertaining because, well, I wouldn't say they've become jaded, but...you know...Like you say, they tend to find the kind of drama they experienced a decade or more previously, well, annoying. In terms of audience appeal, when you're saying "more adult-oriented", you're referring to the 20 and 30-year-olds. Now, the drama on SGU is hit and miss with me, even though I'm part of that target audience, but I still think it's far more relatable than SG-1 and SGA ever were.

But why is it so necessary to only have 20-30 year olds watch?

Seems to me they were quite content to have older viewers with SG1/A

We are very loyal fans, so why slam the door in our faces and try to get younger viewers watching, I think it's a big gamble, younger fans are more fickle and less loyal if you ask me.

AVFan
November 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hey! 18 year old here stuck in the crossfire!

If I had a choice between Goldsmith's beautiful scores and contemporary music, I'd choose the scores hands down, every time. (Although, I'd have to make and exception for Unending. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" was great.) But if we have to choose between several different contemporary songs, I'd say "Worst Day Since Yesterday" was a brilliant choice.

It's not just a younger vs. older viewer question. Like I said, I'm 18, and I'd much rather have the uplifting entertainment that came along with SG-1 and Atlantis than the angsty drama we're being given in SGU. Like I've said in other threads- I've got enough of that junk in my life already. The reason why I watch TV is to escape for an hour from that junk. But when it's waiting for me inside my TV also, that's when I change the channel.

It's not quite to that point yet, though.

syfygal47
November 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I really liked the Worst Day Since Yesterday. I thought it demonstrated the sadness of all the characters who want so desperately to get home, but knowing that is probably impossible.

AdamTM
November 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
When the episode was starting i was flash-backing to the Watchmen opening, i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

PG15
November 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Geez people, why is it always either/or with you?

I love Joel's music, and so far I think TPTB have made great choices in choosing the contemporary songs. For the most part, they all fit nicely and elevated the scenes, IMHO. In fact, thanks to Stargate, I've added 3 new favorites to my music library (Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Solitary Man, Breathe). It seems to be a crime to like both types of music.

As far as I know, this show is the first time vocal music has been used in Stargate.

Nope. At least 3 previous SG episodes (Fragile Balance, Unending, Vegas) have used contemporary music.

Don't buy into the fallacy that SGU is more adult, in no way is it so, it's got all the elements of shows that cater to young 20 year olds, i.e. prime time soap opera style 90210 melodrama. So NO, IMO it's not an adult show at all, nothing about it it caters to an older mature audience.

Last I checked, people in their 20s are adults. ;)

They're more prone to buy the stuff advertised in the commercials.

Evidently not, since they're both gone.

greenmen
November 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Well for what it's worth, I can't really disagree with the point you brought up. The songs do come off as too forced and obvious.

Forced? How so? Obvious? Sure, I think that's the whole point of it.

There is no such thing as "Good Music", just perspectives on taste.

and MY inbuilt Musicometer tells me that the music in Life was FAIL, even an Unas could sing better. Of course this is just my perspective.

It's mostly a matter of perspective, sure, but that doesn't mean you can look at it objectively:

- the singing was fine - that's actually not a matter of perspective
- the lyrics fit the current situation
- the "ironic happyness" (for lack of better english words) of the music added to the severeness of the situation

You might not personally like that style of music, but it did fit the situation. Reminded me a bit of "Unending". Neither song would make it into my mp3players playlist, though.

Buck32
November 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, this music was GREAT. The lyrics fit perfectly, and the music itself was cool. :D

Worst Day Since Yesterday, by Flogging Molly if anyone wants to know. ;)

Thanks, I thougth that song was great!!!

and i agree it fit the ep perfectly.

missmobius
November 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Geez people, why is it always either/or with you?

I love Joel's music, and so far I think TPTB have made great choices in choosing the contemporary songs. For the most part, they all fit nicely and elevated the scenes, IMHO. In fact, thanks to Stargate, I've added 3 new favorites to my music library (Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Solitary Man, Breathe). It seems to be a crime to like both types of music.

Nope. At least 3 previous SG episodes (Fragile Balance, Unending, Vegas) have used contemporary music.

Last I checked, people in their 20s are adults. ;)

maybe legally, but in terms of maturity?

They're more prone to buy the stuff advertised in the commercials.

Is that an actual fact?, I know many "over 40" year olds who are still buying things for their so called "mature" 20-30 year olds LOL

Also check out the real trend (because of economic reasons) of young "adults" living at home, being supported by their "over 40" year old "non-buying" parents LMAO

When SGU or any other SciFi show can boast a 10 year run then we'll talk :)

reddevil18
November 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

We are very loyal fans, so why slam the door in our faces and try to get younger viewers watching, I think it's a big gamble, younger fans are more fickle and less loyal if you ask me.
I don't mean to sound offensive, but...old people tend to...you know, die. And yes, it is statistically proven that younger audiences with disposable income are more valuable to advertisers. Even in this economic climate, living with their parents, they're still more likely to go out and buy crap they don't need than their 50-60-year-old parents.

If a franchise is to survive, it needs to attract new audiences. With SG-1 and SGA, that wasn't happening.
Of course it's a big gamble, alienating a large portion of the fanbase. I've said as much many times. But, judging from the demo breakdown, they've been at least somewhat successful so far.

But my personal opinion is that they screwed up. Not in the overall tone of the show. I really love that. And that includes the music. It's how they over-stacked this first half of the season with so much drama, and a lot of it badly done. They didn't find the balance needed. They needed more Darkness/Light(possibly left as one episode, Fire) and Time and less Water and Life. Life, to me, was a lesser version of Earth and, in large, completely unnecessary. Most of the important plot points could have been compressed and integrated into other episodes.

So, like I said, I think hey went overboard a bit, but hopefully they'll find the right balance.

That's one thing that bothers me. Some people don't really look at the show objectively. They hate it simply because it's not SGA and, hey, those were successful, so how dare the producers try something new? And, of course, there are the older demographics, who feel offended.

Oh, well, fandom is a crazy thing. Maybe the second half of the season will deliver what you want...if you're willing to watch. The music itself is bound to be more Joel-heavy in some of those episodes, which promise more action.

maddmike
November 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
I agree the words were a good fit, but omg.. how clique do you want to be with the music? I mean seriously wtf, how much of a soap opera is this turning into?

Cylykon
November 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
the song is completely right, dead-on lyrics ... people can dislike the song. but i think nobody can say that it was out of place

I finally registered after lurking for years because of all the people who think that the lyrics to the opening song were "spot-on". If anyone actually paid attention to ALL the lyrics, they would conclude that the song is obviously about being hung over. Now explain to us how being in the crew's situation is exactly like being hung over... Yeah, I don't think Mr. Mallozzi could, either. They might as well have played "Damn it feels good to be a gansta" by the Geto Boys while Telford was getting his comeuppance.

Colonel Sharp
November 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
*Note: I'm a huge Flogging Molly fan so what I say is absolutely biased:

Point 1:
I would prefer there not to be any vocal music in any of SGU.

Point 2:
That being said, I know that TPTB are trying "to go a different route" and "expand their audience" and blah blah blah, so if there had to be music, I think that "The Worst Day Since Yesterday" was an perfect choice, and it made me very happy. :)

PS. The yoga stuff was definitely a little weird.

It's how they over-stacked this first half of the season with so much drama, and a lot of it badly done. They didn't find the balance needed.
:zelenka25:

Myles
November 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I finally registered after lurking for years because of all the people who think that the lyrics to the opening song were "spot-on". If anyone actually paid attention to ALL the lyrics, they would conclude that the song is obviously about being hung over. Now explain to us how being in the crew's situation is exactly like being hung over... Yeah, I don't think Mr. Mallozzi could, either. They might as well have played "Damn it feels good to be a gansta" by the Geto Boys while Telford was getting his comeuppance.

After listening to the song again, and looking up the lyrics, I have to disagree. The song may well be about being hungover, but it's not completely obvious. Had you not said it, it certainly wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Mythophile
November 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
I hate it. It's trendy in addition to being awful. I loath trendy things.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Wynter_Z/vomit.gif

Pitry
November 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
there is this word. i think it's a verb. and i believe it's called...... dislike.

seriously, why is everything either "HATE" or "LOVE". it's really bugging me. one thread burns it down, the other lifts it to heaven. what happened with the word "dislike", because every guy who doesn't love it uses the word "HATE".

Eh, this is an internet forum! There's no colour in our world, just black and white! Besides, you never get a good argument from "dislike" :)

mjwalshe
November 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

i thought it was the folkiness of a session down the pub contrasting with the downbeat words i think was why they used that track.

PG15
November 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
maybe legally, but in terms of maturity?

Maturity really is subjective sometimes. What is "adult maturity" exactly, and who should say what it is?

If you think you are more mature than people my age, then go ahead; you're probably right; however, it doesn't mean your level of maturity is what TPTB's going after with "more adult" programming. Since people in their 20s are legally adults, then they can totally have "adult maturity"; it's just that, to people your age, they aren't, uh, as "adult" as you are.

But they still have a type of adult maturity.

Is that an actual fact?, I know many "over 40" year olds who are still buying things for their so called "mature" 20-30 year olds LOL

Also check out the real trend (because of economic reasons) of young "adults" living at home, being supported by their "over 40" year old "non-buying" parents LMAO

It's as much of a fact as the market says it is.

After all, since money is what these company want, they will follow it. If it is indeed true that older people spend more on stuff in the commercials, then we'd already be there, with MANY shows devoted to getting the older people to spend more money.

And yet, we're not. Logic dictates then that young people are indeed the more profitable audience since most shows go after them.

When SGU or any other SciFi show can boast a 10 year run then we'll talk :)

Meaningless. While SG1's run is impressive, would it have the same fortune if it premiers now? Who knows, and that's the point. What worked before wouldn't necessarily work now and TPTB knows that.

Colonel Sharp
November 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Maturity is indeed relative and pretty much meaningless, but, for the record, the prefrontal cortex, the area in the brain responsible for making many 'higher level decisions and judgments' is, on average, not fully developed until 25 years of age.

Wildrose-Wally
November 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM

Watch your mouth, young whippersnapper.

My name is Wally, and I'm 50.

I've watched Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate, and learned to enjoy the shows without getting hung up on the music or a lot of other thing that seems to interupt your viewing pleasue.

So grow up already and enjoy the show. ;)

PG15
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I will! :D

Eclectic_Voyeur
November 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I sorta dug the music.

Phenom
November 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
I thought the music was pretty cool for what its worth. Something a little different always adds a bit of spice to things.....It was the Stargate music equivalent of a couple going to a swingers party for the first time.

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
I don't think they suited the episode. The first song felt the most out of place. It just felt... weird. The second song just didn't feel "Stargate-y".

There are two types shows when it comes to music:
* The Show With Orchestrated Music and the Occasional Lyrical Song When It's Important
* The Show With Lots of Popular Music/Etc.

SGU seems to be apprehensive about boxing itself in as either one, giving us a schizophrenic show when it comes to music. I mean, in "Air", the song fitted, it made the drama more... dramatic.

However, it just felt arbitrary this episode. Why did we need a song with lyrics for the opening montage? I mean, it wouldn't stand out as weird so much if this happened every other or so episodes but in 9 episodes, it's happened three times, two of which in the same episode and pretty much without real plot significance.

I mean, did they really enhance the plot in any way? Did the "bad day" theme hit you harder during the country song? Did the opening song make the montage any better?

The reason I dislike it for SGU is because it's a show which relies heavily on "epic" orchestrated background music. Because of this, any songs featuring lyrics will stand out a lot. And the song choices in addition to plot choices for the songs this episode just felt "blah", "meh" and "wholly arbitrary" to me.

Mr. Hook
November 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
The way the pop-music was cut and pasted into the soundtrack was jarring in each case, but especially in the middle of the episode. No fade in, no warning, just "hit play" and enjoy this lovely montage we used to pad the episode. The "montage song" from Team America would have been more appropriate. :rolleyes:

Although the music wasn't to my taste, it probably could have been salvaged if the sound editing hadn't been so clumsy. Was it amateur hour in the sound booth, or is this what "younger" "edgier" soundtracks are supposed to sound like? :ronananime16: