When does SGU take place? SPOILERS up to Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does SGU take place? SPOILERS up to Time

It occurred to me as I was watching TIME that SGU might not take place after SGA.

Rush knew about ascension, what it was in general and that the Ancients did it. Yet he did not know how it was to be achieved.

In Tao of Rodney they find an ascension machine which nearly kills Rodney. In that episode it is stated that is is a matter of getting ninety six percent synaptic connection and an E.E.G. frequency of zero point one to zero point nine Hertz.

So if they know how to do it, then why would Rush not know? He seems like the type who would have sought this kind of information.
    My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Someone more into the tech side of the franchise can better explain to you why that machine has little to no bearing in this case, but suffice to say I've seen this argument before. The fact is, TPTB themselves have stated that SGU Season One is the furthest set into the timeline to-date, further even than the third SG-1 telefilm and further even than the SGA telefilm.

For all intents and purposes, we may as well assume it's happening in late 2009 within the Stargate universe.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

There is no right explanation for Rush not knowing the details about ascending.
      Perhaps he didn't read that report, maybe he forgot it, who knows.
      He did mention the basics, evolving to a high enough level to ascend.

The General Hammond was used in Air Part I, which wasn't even launched yet in Enemy At The Gate, so it's after season 5 of SGA.

Comment

McKay thought that by reaching 96% synaptic connection and maintaining an EEG frequency of 0.1 to 0.9 hertz would allow him to ascend but that doesn't mean he was right.

Also in real life, having too many synaptic connections is actually very bad. One of the theories on what causes autism is that the brain is unable to prune unused synaptic connections, which inhibits a person's ability to experience external stimuli.

Comment

You must not have watched the video. You can only go back in time as far as when the first time machine is turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by kcordloh View Post
            There is no right explanation for Rush not knowing the details about ascending.
            Perhaps he didn't read that report, maybe he forgot it, who knows.
            He did mention the basics, evolving to a high enough level to ascend.

The General Hammond was used in Air Part I, which wasn't even launched yet in Enemy At The Gate, so it's after season 5 of SGA.
            *scchhhmaccckk*
            Ownage. Basic point, right there and then. Slam, and the thread is unfortuantely over.....
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I don't remember tao well any more, but was that pictured as the dead set way to ascend (not just in rodney's opinion but in general?) because I vaguele seem to remember it wasn't that kind of done deal
              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

i think that rush didnt explain rodneys theory about acsension because he didnt need to know about it, there would be no point in telling him the the little details when all he needed to know was the main idea of it. it would be like telling a little kid how a tv works, they dont need to know every details of the mechanics, just the basic idea.

Comment

Agreed. We have the luxury of having witnessed over a decade of Stargate history essentially second-hand, and so we know more than any character in that universe could possible know. We've experienced, or at least saw and heard about, so much more than anyone new to the SGC has, even if they've read every report ever. Which I'm assuming Dr Rush has not, especially not any reports about Rodney's little accident in another galaxy which has nothing to do with figuring how to dial a Stargate
                  Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

I think Rush was just too obsessed with Destiny to know/care about much of anything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X