The Death of Every Stargate Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death of Every Stargate Character

Is anyone else bothered that every character in Stargate has died? SG-1 have died twice in 'Moebius' and Continuum, the Atlantis Expedition were all killed in 'Before I sleep' and now the Destiny crew have all perished twice as well. I can't be the only person that doesn't like this, none of the characters in Stargate are the original characters from the first time we saw them.
    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Jonas hasn't died...

Or does he not count?
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
      Is anyone else bothered that every character in Stargate has died? SG-1 have died twice in 'Moebius' and Continuum, the Atlantis Expedition were all killed in 'Before I sleep' and now the Destiny crew have all perished twice as well. I can't be the only person that doesn't like this, none of the characters in Stargate are the original characters from the first time we saw them.
      No. The SG-1 we first see in Mobius is the previous Timeline's SG-1, which ultimately allows our SG-1 to gain a free ZPM without timetravel.

Same with Before I Sleep. Our Atlantis crew is the second one. Not the first.

Same with Continuum.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
        Jonas hasn't died...

Or does he not count?
        According to the producers there was never character named Jonas Quinn. There was also never a sixth season between seasons 5 and 7, and no episode called 'Fallout' in S7.

That's the only thing that can explain why he hasn't been seen in such a long time.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          No. The SG-1 we first see in Mobius is the previous Timeline's SG-1, which ultimately allows our SG-1 to gain a free ZPM without timetravel.

Same with Before I Sleep. Our Atlantis crew is the second one. Not the first.

Same with Continuum.
          In our perspective they are the original characters and these characters are only still alive due to the timeline being shifted. If 'Moebius' didn't happen Atlantis would have been destroyed and the expedition would be hiding in Pegasus.

My main problem is that TPTB use time travel as an excuse to kill characters for affect only for them to be alive again by the time that the episode is over.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
            According to the producers there was never character named Jonas Quinn. There was also never a sixth season between seasons 5 and 7, and no episode called 'Fallout' in S7.

That's the only thing that can explain why he hasn't been seen in such a long time.
            *snort* Ain't that the truth.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

In our perspective they are the original characters and these characters are only still alive due to the timeline being shifted. If 'Moebius' didn't happen Atlantis would have been destroyed and the expedition would be hiding in Pegasus.
              It depends on your perspective.

You could see it as:
              • Mobius SG-1 go back in time and beffudle things
              • Nerdy SG-1 go back and repair things
              • Season 1-8 of our SG-1.
              • Our SG-1 find the ZPM in Mobius
              • Life goes on for our SG-1

• Before I Sleep Expedition arrive on Atlantis and die
              • Weir goes back in time
              • Janus adds release mechanisms
              • Our Expedition arives on Atlantis in Rising
              • Season 1-5 of our Atlantis continue

• Continuum SG-1 are effected by Baal's timeshifting
              • Continuum SG-1 go back in time and fix things
              • They die
              • Our SG-1 are at Baal's execution, it goes without a hitch

My main problem is that TPTB use time travel as an excuse to kill characters for affect only for them to be alive again by the time that the episode is over.
              They really can't die any other way, unless they do it for real. Time travel just allows TPTB to disregard any of the usual consequences, giving them a break.

Comment

It depends on your perspective.

You could see it as:
                • Mobius SG-1 go back in time and beffudle things
                • Nerdy SG-1 go back and repair things
                • Season 1-8 of our SG-1.
                • Our SG-1 find the ZPM in Mobius

• Weir goes back in time

• Continuum SG-1 are effected by Baal's timeshifting
                • Continuum SG-1 go back in time and fix things
                • They die
                • Our SG-1 are at Baal's execution, it goes without a hitch

They really can't die any other way, unless they do it for real. Time travel just allows TPTB to disregard any of the usual consequences, giving them a break.
                I didn't even care about the time travel deaths up until 'Continuum.' As this was a slightly altered version of 'Moebius' and to see them so quickly using this plot again in SGU is not that encouraging. However saying that I really enjoyed the episode, I'm just hoping that SGU doesn't wheel out every any other stargate episode ideas.

Comment

I didn't even care about the time travel deaths up until 'Continuum.' As this was a slightly altered version of 'Moebius' and to see them so quickly using this plot again in SGU is not that encouraging. However saying that I really enjoyed the episode, I'm just hoping that SGU doesn't wheel out every any other stargate episode ideas.
                  There are no original ideas anymore

Especially after 100 episodes of SG-1 and 50 of Atlantis. TPTB are bound to have to retread a few steps along the way.

Comment

There are no original ideas anymore

Especially after 100 episodes of SG-1 and 50 of Atlantis. TPTB are bound to have to retread a few steps along the way.
                    I understand that, but both SG-1 and Atlantis have already used altered timeline stories twice to see it a fifth time in the franchise is a bit much. 'Before I sleep' stands out because of the alternate Weir making it back to the present, it really gives it an edge because she is the only time traveller and no one else had to travel back in time to make things better.

Comment

Before I Sleep is one of my favorite SG episodes of all time, as is Moebius. I think that the fact that we aren't even watching the "original" characters adds depth to the story and helps show how much the odds are against us. We aren't good enough to survive. It's only because of all the advanced alien technology that we get the chances we do to survive. This is the premise of the entire series, after all look at the title: STARGATE.

At first I was disappointed with this episode because I thought it was going to be a rehash, but then the team we thought was "our" team died as well. Also the fact that the wormhole was affected in a different way, for me at least, makes this different enough for me to really like it.
                      I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Its the reason why Alternate Timelines are such cool storylines, you see an alternate way of things instead of the save the day scenario all the time. It doesn't bother me at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          Its the reason why Alternate Timelines are such cool storylines, you see an alternate way of things instead of the save the day scenario all the time. It doesn't bother me at all!
                          Amen to that! Personally, I'd be more pissed off if it had ended with the second loop and not been "reset" at all!

Comment

• Weir goes back in time
                            We first see the Atlantis expedition on Earth before they go through the stargate to Atlantis. Weir's activities in Before I Sleep only affected what happened after the expedition arrived in Atlantis.

The expedition we saw on Earth was the original one - every member of it was killed except for Weir. She changed things so the expedition members don't drown when they first get to the city. Original Weir is then found as a very old woman who meets the Weir from the changed timeline.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              We first see the Atlantis expedition on Earth before they go through the stargate to Atlantis. Weir's activities in Before I Sleep only affected what happened after the expedition arrived in Atlantis.

The expedition we saw on Earth was the original one - every member of it was killed except for Weir. She changed things so the expedition members don't drown when they first get to the city. Original Weir is then found as a very old woman who meets the Weir from the changed timeline.
                              Sure then, but then our Weir is not the original one then, so it's a moot point

Comment

Working...
                              X