Other sources of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other sources of water

Since their water supply is contaminated with the organisms from the ice planet, even with their cure they wouldn't want to drink more of it. Since it's a tropical rainforest with rain most of the time they should have tried to collect some water. Anyway just a thought.

You can just boil the contaminated water to kill the microrganism
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

They probably collected some in the final timeline, the one that took place off-screen. Either that, or they did the smart thing and boiled the water from the ice planet.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
        They probably collected some in the final timeline, the one that took place off-screen. Either that, or they did the smart thing and boiled the water from the ice planet.
        They should've really done that in the first place, in all sensibility.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
          I think the Destiny has water purifiers, as evidenced by TJ's line:
          JOHANSEN: It's possible that a batch of water wasn't purified properly and it contaminated the rest.
          So, maybe they fix the purifiers, or boil it themselves before adding it to the tank.

And I don't think they would've had the time to recover the rainwater. They had scant hours to collect a Shrieker during the daytime, and by nighttime when it begins to rain, the others would've been loose and angry. So, they probably had no time to collect rainwater...
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

but rain water is something they can think about on the next planet they come to

realistically, they'll need to boil ALL the water. unless they have some really great filters, there's no chemical purifiers that they can guarantee will work. the chemicals are meant to work on earth based stuff, so no guarantee that the alien bugs will be vulnerable to the chemicals.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Unless they add [enough] venom to the water?

Comment

it's not like they have a steady supply of the critters, or that their venom will work against any microrganism. boiling then testing is probably the only safe way to keep the water clean

and even then, i'd encourage all users to boil it before drinking, just to be double safe

A few hundred years ago, our systems could handle the critters that were in the water and food, but after a century of mostly clean water in large chunks of the world, we've lost the ability to deal with unclean water.

sigpic

Comment

Boiling might not help. These organisms survived the extreme cold of "Hoth." So maybe they're also capable of surviving the extreme heat of boiling water. There are organisms like that here on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    Boiling might not help. These organisms survived the extreme cold of "Hoth." So maybe they're also capable of surviving the extreme heat of boiling water. There are organisms like that here on Earth.
                    The fact that they thrive in subzero enviroments probably mean they don't like the heat. As for boiling that is one big assumption you are making. While it is true those organisms are so rare
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

All I'm saying is that you never know. These are, after all, alien life forms that evolved on a planet that we would consider extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                        All I'm saying is that you never know. These are, after all, alien life forms that evolved on a planet that we would consider extreme.
                        That is precisly why you always test it

I don't know a microrganism that can handle both extremes though
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I guess they took some water and some food on the jungle planet. We will see it in part 2 of the episode.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Perhaps a urine recycler could be on board?

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                            : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

it's called 'waste reclamation' and i'm sure there is a way to purify waste water, take out the dirt and poisons and toxins and make it clean again

it's like what they have up on the space station

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X