PDA

View Full Version : The cure, the luckiest coincidence? or proof that Destiny is a smart ship?

kinseySG
November 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM
What a coincidence that they picked up the disease from the ice planet, and the cure is on the next planet they check... do you think the destiny is a lot more than just a space vessel?

Eternal Density
November 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Yes, it's obviously a giant can of spam.
[edit]No it's just a space ship with a lot of clever routines programmed into the autopilot.

Kidwizz
November 15th, 2009, 06:02 AM
[edit]No it's just a space ship with a lot of clever routines programmed into the autopilot.
Either that or it has some creepy AI.

Hello Rush... What are doing Rush... Don't touch that Rush...

Commander Zelix
November 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Not just that. Just look at the clever way the ship place itself, with the sun and a solar flare right in the middle between it and the planet. So the wormhole would need to pass right through to reach the Destiny. Instead of positioning itself just above the planet.

It did it on purpose knowing full well the flying goauld are ferocious and the Destiny intruders would need many tries before finishing them up and getting their cure. Destiny is the greatest piece of AI ever!!!

Egle01
November 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM
So, did the creatures' venom work as an antibiotic or just like a cure out of nowhere? Isn't is possible that the venom got altered after they... uhm... ate Rush's infected body?

Man, that sounds disturbing. :S

Terra Atlantus
November 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
The luckiest coincidence ever must be when Jack's doing a crossword and the clue is "label" and "sphere" and by a coincidence, the solution are a planet with a ZPM to power the Ancient weapon platform in Antarctica.

jamesgilfoyle
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM
First things first; loving SGU oh SO much and this has been my favorite episode so far. Loved it.

It has just occurred to me after re-watching the episode that these flying goa'uld thingies were in a completely different universe and the chances of them having the cure to the disease are unimaginably small.

With that said I cannot help but wonder if the time travelling Rush introduced the bacterium which the creatures caught when munching on Rush. Perhaps then over many years they evolved and developed the cure as a matter of survival. Perhaps they also have a "cure" of sorts for the many other things that may have been in Rush's body? Who knows!

But my question is... now that the time line has been altered by Scott... and Rush did not travel through the gate... Will the venom still hold the cure?

Discuss!

MattSilver 3k
November 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'm going to have to say no.

Here's why: Scott in timeline 1 is cured of the disease after being bitten, and that is the same timeline that has Rush jump into the gate and arrive in the past, creating the second timeline. The Kino follows him, and that Kino is recovered by the 2nd timeline's team. The cure was already there in the first timeline, so the Shriekers eating Rush probably altered nothing.

As for your last point, the third timeline has both Rush and the two Kinos (One each from timeline 1 and 2), and the Shriekers could cure anyway... So... nothing's different on that front.

Radz
November 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM
But if his theory were true, there could also be a third alternate timeline in which Scott died since Rush didn't go back to introduce the bacteria. Personally, that's my opinion since, like it's been said, the odds of them having the cure are small if it's simply antibodies or such. The venom may have the tendency to kill all microbes though as some sort of preservation of their prey so they will not decay as fast should they not eat them immediately.

Mongoletsi
November 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM
No mate, it's coincidence. Humans have been using venom for thousands of years to treat ailments. True, a lot of the uses were folkloric, but now we understand it better.

Ann_Ominous
November 15th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Bee sting venom is a good treatment for arthritis. It helped my late father to the point that he no longer tested positive for rhematoid arthritis. I really doubt that anytime in the past bees ate humans or even mamals.

Killing microbes is just a general property that some venoms have.

KEK
November 15th, 2009, 06:56 AM
First things first; loving SGU oh SO much and this has been my favorite episode so far. Loved it.

It has just occurred to me after re-watching the episode that these flying goa'uld thingies were in a completely different universe and the chances of them having the cure to the disease are unimaginably small.

With that said I cannot help but wonder if the time travelling Rush introduced the bacterium which the creatures caught when munching on Rush. Perhaps then over many years they evolved and developed the cure as a matter of survival. Perhaps they also have a "cure" of sorts for the many other things that may have been in Rush's body? Who knows!

But my question is... now that the time line has been altered by Scott... and Rush did not travel through the gate... Will the venom still hold the cure?

Discuss!

No they weren't, they were from the same timeline whichever time-travel theory you use, whether it's a linear one with time being 're-written' or an AU one where the new timelines are branching off from the original, the creatures would have existed in both exactly how they did in the first instance.

Dain
November 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM
So, did the creatures' venom work as an antibiotic or just like a cure out of nowhere? Isn't is possible that the venom got altered after they... uhm... ate Rush's infected body?

Man, that sounds disturbing. :S

The Destiny flew into the range of that planet on purpose - of the thousands of targets it could have reached in the time between the episodes, it picked the one were an antidote to the crew's problem could be found.

So I think the venom always worked - likely because it had a fitting poisonous make-up that killed off the microbes without causing too much harm to a human being. Same principle as antibiotics.

This is actually quite reasonable, since humans are completely alien to these predators, orginiating from a galaxy billions of lightyears away. Their venom is evolutionary specialized to be effective against their usual prey and may be ineffective against a human being, which has an entirely different physiology. The microbes on the other hand may even share a common ancestry with that biome.

wargrafix
November 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I like the attention to detail. We always knew hat the writers did well with continuity, but they really not skimming over the details. Most impressive.

Dain
November 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
The creatures were using venom (although you have to wonder why, since they mauled their victims to death anyway).

Venom is toxic. You don't need a custom-made poison to know that it probably will succeed in killing living cells. That's why it is toxic in the first place.

All the criteria you need for picking the antibiotic of your choice is making sure that it is strong enough to kill off diseases without being strong enough to also permamently harm the human body.

jsonitsac
November 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I know that snake venom is used as the basis for anti-venom drugs for people with snakebites.

JohnDuh
November 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM
What a coincidence that they picked up the disease from the ice planet, and the cure is on the next planet they check... do you think the destiny is a lot more than just a space vessel?

Or, the first time they came to the planet the cure wasn't there - Rush goes back in time (perhaps years) gets eaten by the critters who then develop a cure. So when the crew shows up in the next timeline the cure is there.

It was them going to the planet which caused the cure to be there.

Perfectly valid scifi fanwank

Meryl
November 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Maybe there are ancients on board and the ship isn't on an automatic pilot?

Gollumpus
November 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm having trouble with the resolution to Time.

How does Destiny "know" that there are creatures with the required properties on this particular planet? Destiny could know by one of three means:

1.) it has internal sensors which are really, Really, REALLY good and can find out about stuff on a planet from a solar system or three away or further. We are talking about being able to do cellular analysis here, not just noting that the planet is a gas giant or has an atmosphere.

2.) it already has the info in its data banks, really BIG data banks. The source of this info could be from as far back as when the seeder ship went through the area (old data). This would imply an ability for a future connection with a seeder ship.

3.) there is some sort of constantly updating, local data base (perhaps part of the gate system itself?) which the ship may access when it comes into range. What this range is is unknown, but it would have to be far.

I'm prepared to discard options one and two. The sensors aren't "that" good. And the data storage ability of the Ancients was huge, but we are looking at a boatload of info. The memory banks would likely have been well and truly full a few thousand years ago.

This leaves us with option three. Destiny would have been aware of the problem with the water supply from internal sensors. It would have been sorting through these local data bases to find a planet which supported life, and had a creature which filled the required need.

The whole solar flare thing I put down to coincidence.

Destiny would be "thinking" Ancients as far as crew capabilities. It would go somewhere, the crew would do a scan, find the creature and go down to harvest the required venom for the antidote. So why 36 hours? If the creatures are nearby, and an Ancient crew could find them easily and get the venom, why 36 hours? I don't buy the thought that Destiny knew that the human crew would need that long.

regards,
G

Giza1928
November 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
3.) there is some sort of constantly updating, local data base (perhaps part of the gate system itself?) which the ship may access when it comes into range. What this range is is unknown, but it would have to be far.

G

I really like this idea, that the stargate has inbuilt sensors.
All the data can be stored in the gates and they share information with correlative updates.

So each stargate has all the information of every planet in the entire gate network!

Meaning to access the information all you need is a gate.

Therefore the Destiny realises the water on the planet had microbes incompatible with us. And then drops out of FTL on a planet with animals with venom likely to kill off these microbes. All of this could be done in simulation. And then when the Destiny realised they needed more time to solve the problem it drops out within the path of the solar flare.

Which would also make the Destiny a more important discovery than Atlantis. An AI that can solve problems independently, which allows the ancients to focus on more important things like Ascension.

eonflux
November 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
The whole thing was a coincidence. The ship didn't know the water was infected. They went to the planet to gather food.

Venom is not always poisonous. Some venom is just produced to numb the victim or part of it.
But maybe just stop nitpicking everything from the episode. Some aspects just don't make sense but still are enjoyable to watch. Example:
From the first attack those things where flying into pls bodies. How?

These things what do they actually eat when there are no humans around because there was nothing else we seen in that area that even suggested there where other living things on that planet.

Time travel and kino. Don't get me started on this one. This episode was more something from a causality loop than a solar flare interfering with the gate

36h. All of a sudden The ship gives them 36h just to collect food? And NO the ship didn't give them time to get an antidote.

Sickbay. We have a sick bay now. When did they discover this?

Count
November 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Destiny stopped for food, it was a fluke that they found the venom worked on the parasites, i doubt Destiny could identify the parasites in the water or it would have informed the crew...

Scratch that, no it wouldn't, didn't even bother to tell the crew it's sun-dive was to refuel the first time.

But the Destiny still probably didnt know, i mean, it didnt start collapsing it's shield to kill people and protect it's gateroom, it didnt go into lockdown and cut everyone off from critical areas that are needed to remove an infection. (What other lousy plot devices did Atlantis show ancient tech to have?)

Lightning Ducj
November 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Destiny stopped for food, it was a fluke that they found the venom worked on the parasites, i doubt Destiny could identify the parasites in the water or it would have informed the crew...

Scratch that, no it wouldn't, didn't even bother to tell the crew it's sun-dive was to refuel the first time.

Agreed, I think I said in some other thread that while Destiny will act pre-emptively for it's own needs, it doesn't act unilaterally on the crew's behalf

garhkal
November 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm having trouble with the resolution to Time.

How does Destiny "know" that there are creatures with the required properties on this particular planet? Destiny could know by one of three means:

1.) it has internal sensors which are really, Really, REALLY good and can find out about stuff on a planet from a solar system or three away or further. We are talking about being able to do cellular analysis here, not just noting that the planet is a gas giant or has an atmosphere.

Doubtful as we have not seen sensors that powerful on anything the lanteans made.

2.) it already has the info in its data banks, really BIG data banks. The source of this info could be from as far back as when the seeder ship went through the area (old data). This would imply an ability for a future connection with a seeder ship.

If the data was already there, why is the destiny even in existance? I thought ITS purpose was to find this stuff out.

Captain Obvious
November 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
The whole thing was a coincidence. The ship didn't know the water was infected. They went to the planet to gather food.

Venom is not always poisonous. Some venom is just produced to numb the victim or part of it.
But maybe just stop nitpicking everything from the episode. Some aspects just don't make sense but still are enjoyable to watch. Example:
From the first attack those things where flying into pls bodies. How?

Just like how lions would bite right into ET's neck even though they have never seen one before. These creatures obviously look for center mass and dive through/into their prey. they may be parasitic organisms that behave in a way similar to how seagulls feed off of gouges they carve in whales. Its actually quite brilliant.

These things what do they actually eat when there are no humans around because there was nothing else we seen in that area that even suggested there where other living things on that planet.

We attracted them with noise. I have no doubt there are larger creatures somewhere on the planet for them to feed on, much like the example I gave above.

Time travel and kino. Don't get me started on this one. This episode was more something from a causality loop than a solar flare interfering with the gate
No a Causailty loop repeates by force, thier own actions caused changes instead of thier own actions casing the action to repeat.

36h. All of a sudden The ship gives them 36h just to collect food? And NO the ship didn't give them time to get an antidote.

Who made you the time clock police? There was never anything saying they could only stop for 12 hours. On 2 barren planets without much to explore, they got 12 hours. A lush, plentiful world with all kinds of interesting things going on? Totally give the crew more time to explore that. It makes total sense.

Sickbay. We have a sick bay now. When did they discover this?

Its called TJ picked a large room, called it sick bay and moved all the medical equipment there. seems to make sense to me!

smooTh__
November 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Makes sense tho. Destiny was built by ancients, who, I reckon never intended anyone but them to ever get onto Destiny.

Destiny, I assume, doesn't know that the crew are not ancients, and thus there is no need to inform the crew the most basic workings of the ship.

Sim
November 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Its either one of two things:

1) The ship is a giant DEM

2) Makers of the show lied about the solutions to problems coming within every 45 mins. Thus far it's been like that:
Air.. they got their air...
Dark/Light they got their power...
Water they got rid of the bugs...
Time.. saved by the reset button and an animal that has venom capable of curing a something from another solar system.

Lightning Ducj
November 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
2) Makers of the show lied about the solutions to problems coming within every 45 mins. Thus far it's been like that:
Air.. they got their air...

Took two (or three) episodes and they lost two characters in the process

Dark/Light they got their power...

Again, two episodes

Water they got rid of the bugs...

and created a new problem to be solved later (although the characters didn't know it at the time)

Time.. saved by the reset button and an animal that has venom capable of curing a something from another solar system.

Were not actually saved. The speculation would be that they would be saved based on existing information, but for all practical purposes, the episode was longer than the time allowed so much is left to the viewer's imagination

creed462
November 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I's think that the destiny had to put them there, at least for the venom. It's hard to tell if the solar flare was know, then again Baal figured out how to work the flares into a reliable time machine

Sim
November 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah it took 3 episodes for Air, but it was a 3 parter and with Dark/Light it was a 2 parter.

Baal didn't create a time machine from what I remember, I thought he just found some ancient tech.

Sonicbluemustang
November 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I think Destiny knew about the bugs and sent them there for a cure they just didnt know about it. :)

NK1969
November 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
OK, here's my take. Destiny has traveled so far into the universe and amassed so much knowledge that it has achieved consciousness itself. It's helped the new arrivals because it has an innate sense of humanity but is not sure what to truly make of them because they are not ancients.

That's probably one reason why it hasn't overtly tried to communicate with anybody, though I suppose maybe it has communicated with Rush via the computer interface.

If so, maybe Rush is stringing Destiny and everybody slse along while he searches for whatever it is he's looking for. That would explain why Rush knew - or had hunches about certain ship functions happening, like the gate dialing up all on its own in Air pt. 2 or having Eli stick him arm in the event horizon in Air pt. 3 in order to keep Destiny from going into FTL or how to make it look like the ship was gonna blow in Earth before everyone else had any idea what was going on. Still, maybe it's starting to realize that Rush is full of $#!t which is why all this bad stuff is starting to happen.

One thing's for certain; it knows how to keep itself charge and in one piece. Maybe pretty soon it'll take a liking to its new pets!

Ann_Ominous
November 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
That would explain why Rush knew - or had hunches about certain ship functions happening, <snip> or having Eli stick him arm in the event horizon in Air pt. 3 in order to keep Destiny from going into FTL <snip>

Jack keeps a wormhole open this way in the episode where they capture the rogue NID agents (sorry, too late for me to remember the ep name, the one with the stolen weather control device). So presumably this tidbit is documented somewhere in something official that Rush would of been given to read.

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
It's possible that there was an additional timeline that we didn't see. Everything happened exactly the same as the timeline we saw in the first Kino they recovered except everyone died so no one sent a Kino through. However, in that first timeline, Rush went through the stargate too. He traveled to the past where he was devoured by the creatures. The creatures then developed an immunity to the microbes. Then the second timeline took place, that's the first one we see where Scott survived because the creatures transferred their immunity of the disease and he managed to send the Kino through.

eonflux
November 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Just like how lions would bite right into ET's neck even though they have never seen one before. These creatures obviously look for center mass and dive through/into their prey. they may be parasitic organisms that behave in a way similar to how seagulls feed off of gouges they carve in whales. Its actually quite brilliant.

We attracted them with noise. I have no doubt there are larger creatures somewhere on the planet for them to feed on, much like the example I gave above.

No a Causailty loop repeates by force, thier own actions caused changes instead of thier own actions casing the action to repeat.

Who made you the time clock police? There was never anything saying they could only stop for 12 hours. On 2 barren planets without much to explore, they got 12 hours. A lush, plentiful world with all kinds of interesting things going on? Totally give the crew more time to explore that. It makes total sense.

Its called TJ picked a large room, called it sick bay and moved all the medical equipment there. seems to make sense to me!

Just going to react on 2 thing you said here because you had your imagination run wild. Don't want to spoil it.
No It wasn't stated it was always 12h. The 12/36 totally doesn't make sense. The ship doesn't know how long something will take. Or even if they want to explore or whatever. What is 50% of the crew was sick. Are you telling me it would keep that into consideration? The writers gave them 12h for the both first task because that would ramp up the excitement more. This makes total sense.

Sickbay:
Analyse the room from time index: 35:08. Want to see how many people and boxes you are going to need to move all that stuff not even to mention the medicine cabinet.

Vapor
November 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Until the show contradicts me, I choose to believe the ship stopped at this planet because it was aware of the crew's needs.

Whether it be the need for food, or the need for a cure, I don't know, but the ship has proven in the past that it has some kind of basic understanding of its own needs, and the ability to take certain actions to sustain itself and continue its mission within a certain set of peramaters.

ZER017
November 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
So glad this topic was brought up. Hey everyone, this is just my thought after the episode,

I think the Destiny ship (the AI) realised that the Ancient’s descendants were drinking water that was poisoned from the ice planet. The ship therefore used its database to find a planet with a creature they scanned to have the venomous, but healing property that can kill the micro-organism everyone drank (LT Tamara Johnson calls it this in the episode 'Time'). It was not a coincidence. The ship chose the planet. The ship puts them where the people need to go but doesnt relay instructions, which can have deadly consequences like in this episode.

The reason I said Ancients above is that I believe someone on the ship must have the ancient gene. From the first two Stargate shows at least one major character has ATA gene. And before someone says anything I realize in the fourth episode Rush said the ship was pre-dates the Lantean technology.

Universe has been great so far. I watch too much Stargate lol

Deivid
November 16th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Destiny probably get the information from the stargates. The seeders ships gets information from the planet they seeded and store the data in the the stargate network. Destiny download the information and know where to go for solving the problems.

Captain Obvious
November 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Sickbay:
Analyse the room from time index: 35:08. Want to see how many people and boxes you are going to need to move all that stuff not even to mention the medicine cabinet.

A kinosode shows the infirmary. I didn't watch them all until today.

No It wasn't stated it was always 12h. The 12/36 totally doesn't make sense. The ship doesn't know how long something will take. Or even if they want to explore or whatever. What is 50% of the crew was sick. Are you telling me it would keep that into consideration? The writers gave them 12h for the both first task because that would ramp up the excitement more. This makes total sense.

It also makes an equal (if not greater) amount of sense that a barren world would not be given as much time. It obviously would take longer to explore a planet with a complete biosphere.

thekillman
November 16th, 2009, 04:44 AM
the disease was a bacteria. immune to our Antibiotics. but not to the creature's venom. obviously, it's a freak accident, just as the discovery of antibiotics.

besides, it was a bacteria, which are vulnerable to antibiotics. the ship merely needed to go to a planet with life.

Commander Zelix
November 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I will shamelessly copy my post in the other thread:

Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!! :rolleyes:

Sure it may turn the Destiny into the lamest deuxexmachina and plot device, but I now think its what the writers want us to believe. That there's a big possibility the Destiny brought them there for a reason.

In the writers mind, they say to themselves. Sure the crew doesn't have the navigational control of the ship, but at least the ship bring them possibly in the right place for their needs. So its not luck after luck after luck after luck. Which would fast become unbelievable.

A bit strange the ship doesn't communicate any of it on the screen, but its a better plot device that way. Since the Destiny crew must still find out what to do on the planet. For example, "Time" episode would be boring (or at least completely different) if the Destiny control screen said:

- Warning! Warning! Contaminated water.
- Next stop: Third planet on the solar system: The flying goauld venom is an antidote for the water disease.
- Dilute 2mg of the venom in 50ml of sterile water or use directly
All the plot would be known by the Destiny crew. With no mystery for them (hence us the viewers). Obviously the episode would be completely different.

What prompted my change of mind is the transcript from Air 2 when Rush tell them they arrived at a Lime planet:

RUSH
The Ancients sent out a number of unmanned ships ahead of this one. They're programmed to gather data, resources, to manufacture Stargates and deposit them in habitable worlds. Any relevant information is relayed back here to help plot the course.

YOUNG
You're telling me that this ship knows we're in trouble?

RUSH
(impatiently)
Yes, because I told it we were! Essentially, we're flying on auto-pilot. This ship may have stopped when it was within range of a Stargate regardless of our need, but I have reason to believe…

So its possible the Destiny had prior knowledge of the planet. But its very far fetched that the ship knew the venom on the planet was a cure for the water disease (which the ship seem to know all about). To know such precise information, you would need to inspect flying goauld specimens and to do some proper experimentations.

Also before the Lime planet, its Rush which have input the need for "Air" (i don't know his exact input). So the ship brought them there. But in this episode nobody knew about the contaminated water, nobody was even sick, but the ship seem to know all about it.

Also whats the deal with given them a limited time to save their ass here, on the lime planet and whatever. Sure its a good plot device. But nobody would program a ship to do the thing in such a sadistically way. "You got 14 hours to save yourself, or I'm gone and you all die". Am I watching Jigsaw or what? (movie Saw). ;)

beafly
November 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
There are no coincidences so far with where the ship has stopped. This one is no different and is yet another example to support that the ship is cognizant of it's passengers, and actively working to sustain their lives.

What I still don't understand is why if it is doing so, it wouldn't simply communicate that to them it's intent as stated above. Maybe it's smart but also has a bit of a sadistic side?

rlr149
November 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Either that or it has some creepy AI.

Hello Rush... What are doing Rush... Don't touch that Rush...http://15.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq18gbLM9l1qza4uwo1_400.jpg

http://thesamerowdycrowd.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/wopr.jpg

how about a nice game of chess? or global thermonuclear war................ eithers good!

Ann_Ominous
November 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
keep watching and we will eventually find out.

unless the show gets cancelled too soon.

rosey_angel
November 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
it seems obvious to me that the ship could tell they were in trouble and tried to help them. the water was going through the systems, so the ship could sense the microbes, and it went to the system where there was a cure.

and if you find this unbelievable; this is a show about a spaceship and other planets that have breathable air and H2O and the like. you've gotta take a leap of faith with these shows. if not, then why are you watching sci fi? or tv in general?

SBN
November 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
the disease was a bacteria. immune to our Antibiotics. but not to the creature's venom. obviously, it's a freak accident, just as the discovery of antibiotics.

besides, it was a bacteria, which are vulnerable to antibiotics. the ship merely needed to go to a planet with life.

It was not really a freak accident, as when Rush jumped into the gate and went back in time, the aliens fed off of his body (which was already infected with the microbes). Over time the aliens built up an immunity themselves, those that would not die survived to have the cure in their venom. So by the time they did arrive on the planet, they had long since cultured the aliens to have the cure in place (paradox and all).

Encoder
November 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I guess it's like saying that a broad spectrum anti-biotic is just a coincidence as opposed to saying the venom has a different effect on the human body than just to kill it.

There have to be other medicines on basically any world that could have healing power, it's not as unlikely as you might think that the next planet they come across might have such resources.

:sheppard:

Zleet
November 17th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I would like to believe that Destiny is in some way aware of the crew and is doing it's best to help them along the way.

Finding a planet that has life that can cure a never before seen pathogen and the fact that a solar flare just happens to allow for time travel when they need it is a bit of a stretch of luck only. The gates could contain sensors that scan the planets for lifeforms and chemicals. When the ship detected the presence of microbes it simply scanned it's data banks and found a planet with the necessary chemical compound to cure the infection, probably didn't know about the flying snake things just that the chemical was picked up by the gates sensors within range. I would put the time travel down to chance, if not the ship is much smarter than it seems.

Captain Obvious
November 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I am still holding on to the idea that It is an ascended being guiding the ship or that the AI cannot make heads nor tales of our language until some random crew member starts swearing in greek or italian (latin based..lol).

Gollumpus
November 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Doubtful as we have not seen sensors that powerful on anything the lanteans made.

If the data was already there, why is the destiny even in existance? I thought ITS purpose was to find this stuff out.

And I eliminated those two possibilities in the next paragraph. :)

I've never liked the idea of Destiny. If you have series of gates which allow immediate access to/return from multiple planets in multiple galaxies, why do you need a ship? If I want to explore the next planet which is currently out of range of the on board gate, another guy wants to look at the current planet we are at, and a third guy wants to do research on a planet three stops ago, where does Destiny go?

At most you would want to set up at least one base in each galaxy from which you can send research teams. Assuming that these seeder ships do not plant a gate on every single planet or moon in any given galaxy, then yes a ship or two (puddle-jumpers?) would be useful to ferry folks around. The system, from what we've seen so far, and assuming no additions to it, is just silly.

The Destiny is a ship with good programming which seems to be able to gather information about the space around it. Is the information already on board from a data stream sent X years ago from the seeder ships (lots of storage space needed)? Is it gathered by Destiny itself with its own sensors as the ship briefly passes through each star system while in ftl (very time consuming and much more powerful than anything previously seen)?

I suggest that the data is accessed locally, perhaps from each local stargate, which allows Destiny to perform as a deus ex machina. The data is there to be accessed which is a lot faster than doing it yourself. I would not say that this makes it a smart ship, but rather one which has good programming. It receives input that there is a problem which needs a resolution. Without any input from the crew, the ship's programming allows it to seek out a resolution.

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
November 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I would like to believe that Destiny is in some way aware of the crew and is doing it's best to help them along the way.

Finding a planet that has life that can cure a never before seen pathogen and the fact that a solar flare just happens to allow for time travel when they need it is a bit of a stretch of luck only. The gates could contain sensors that scan the planets for lifeforms and chemicals. When the ship detected the presence of microbes it simply scanned it's data banks and found a planet with the necessary chemical compound to cure the infection, probably didn't know about the flying snake things just that the chemical was picked up by the gates sensors within range. I would put the time travel down to chance, if not the ship is much smarter than it seems.

Agree.

regards,
G.

blackluster
November 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Finding a planet that has life that can cure a never before seen pathogen and the fact that a solar flare just happens to allow for time travel when they need it is a bit of a stretch of luck only. The gates could contain sensors that scan the planets for lifeforms and chemicals. When the ship detected the presence of microbes it simply scanned it's data banks and found a planet with the necessary chemical compound to cure the infection, probably didn't know about the flying snake things just that the chemical was picked up by the gates sensors within range. I would put the time travel down to chance, if not the ship is much smarter than it seems.I disagree. As far as I can tell, the situation involving the venom and the time travel was complete coincidence. We already know from the each time the ship drops out of ftl exactly what the crew are doing there. They are looking for food. This was likely the only condition given to the Destiny. It stopped in that star system and connected to that gate fulfilling a request for food. The fact that they were suffering from an illness that could be cured by that creature's venom is chance albeit slightly favourable probability, since the idea that venom can kill microbes is far from outlandish.

dosed150
November 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
i think the destiny could be intelligent, would make things more interesting

could explain the lockouts as well, the destiny realises were not ancients and doesnt know enough about us to trust us, but it kinda realises were friendly so trys to keep the crew alive

we know the ancients can create sentient ai

Commander Zelix
November 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Plus in "Air" its Rush which has inputed the lack of air problem on the computer. In "Time" we suppose to believe that the ship is acting without any authorization by the crew and decides on its own to travel to some planet.

Sure if someone input:"lack of air" please help. Its understandable that the ship bring them to the lime planet. At least understandable in some lowly degree. In real life, it would probably wait for the confirmation to change course. But now in "Time" there was no such input entered. The crew didn't even know the water was contaminated and nobody was even sick yet.

Mongoletsi
November 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I's think that the destiny had to put them there, at least for the venom.
Despite reading everything above, and with no evidence to the contrary, you think that? Each to their own I guess!!

It's hard to tell if the solar flare was know, then again
So Destiny knew that enough folk would survive the causal-flare-loop thing after a few iterations, and that Destiny knew enough about the creatures on the planet and the capabilities of the humans to know that at least somebody would survive being bitten long enough to send a kino through, which would be discovered at exactly the right time for the next iteration to make an assumption about why the previous iteration didn't die from the water infestation?

Okaaaaaaay!

gatefanjo-m
November 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I think that just because the Destiny's systems are not accessible, doesn't mean they are not functioning to their full AI capacity. It's a bit of a genius ship, quite frankly.

I do like that 'Time' didn't have so much of a 'here's-our-problem-and-here's-Destiny-to-save-the-day-without-us-doing-jack' feel to it. I feel for once that the crew was proactive, rather than just responding to the situation.

Mongoletsi
November 19th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I think that just because the Destiny's systems are not accessible, doesn't mean they are not functioning to their full AI capacity. It's a bit of a genius ship, quite frankly.

I guess this is going to be one of those things that resolves itself over the course of the show.

Personally, I think Destiny is a "smart ship". It's not self-aware. It has been told what it needs to do to achieve X, and is smart enough that it can work out to do A and B in order to get there. It's adaptive, but it's certainly not a "genius", and certainly not the OMG!!1! EX DUES MAKINA PLOTWHOLE?>!! device that some folk are insisting.

But... WE'LL SEE :D