Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they say "we" defeated the Goa'uld?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they say "we" defeated the Goa'uld?

I don't know about you guys, but it really bugs me when I hear people say this. Both in the show and outside of it.

Wasn't it really the replicators work that defeated them? sure we played some part... but we didn't do the damage that lead to the downfall like the replicators did.

Are we taking credit for something we didn't do?

Just a little nitpick of mine.

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but it really bugs me when I hear people say this. Both in the show and outside of it.

Wasn't it really the replicators work that defeated them? sure we played some part... but we didn't do the damage that lead to the downfall like the replicators did.

Are we taking credit for something we didn't do?

Just a little nitpick of mine.
    I've thought about this before....but I don't think it's entirely untrue. We knocked around the System Lords enough that Anubis came along and cleaned most of their clocks. And since it was virtually a single-ruler empire by then (even though the other SLs still claimed authority) it was really set up that the Replicators could show up and destroy his dominion.

The Replicators that, I might add, showed up in this galaxy because of us
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, "We" (& allies) were the only ones to get out the battle in one piece on the overall winning side ... and as we all know, history is written by the victors
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

RepliCarter defeated the Goa'uld and she's based on the real Carter. Therefore Samantha Carter defeated the Goa'uld.

Comment

Earth continuously fights the Goa'uld for 8 years.
          Earth encounters replicators during that time.
          SG-1 betrays one of the replicators, 5th.
          5th seeks revenge.
          5th abducts Carter.
          5th creates RepliCarter.
          RepliCarter gets 5th killed, becomes most powerful replicator ever.
          RepliCarter attacks and destroys Goa'uld.

Therefore, Earth indirectly destroys Goa'uld.
          sigpic

Comment

Technically, the Replicators were all deactivated before the Goa'uld were defeated. (heck, the Goa'uld were technically defeated before Col. O' Neill went through the gate for the first time )

Comment

Originally posted by jwgrlrrajn View Post
              Technically, the Replicators were all deactivated before the Goa'uld were defeated. (heck, the Goa'uld were technically defeated before Col. O' Neill went through the gate for the first time )
              I'm not sure what you mean... say again?

Comment

I don't get it either.

Comment

All of this has happened before, I take it? And all of this... yeah, well, I don't believe that!
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by jwgrlrrajn View Post
                    Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    I don't get it either.
                    The Replicators were all deactivated before they caught and executed the last Ba'al clone, and Col. Mitchell went back in time and killed the original Ba'al after he came through the gate.

Comment

Also, we offed Ra in the film, which started the chain reaction leading to the Goa'uld's downfall.

Fighting for power, Anubis coming back and having no-one to oppose his supreme reign (I suppose Ra kept him in check).

Instigating the Jaffa to rebellion.

As seen in Continuum, without Earth, the Goa'uld would probably be still in power, having no opposed threats.

Comment

One thing that always bugged me, though. It seems like without Earth's help, the Replicators could very well have assembled en masse to strike the Milky Way after finishing off the Asgard.

Any thoughts/theories/debunking to help my feeble Tau'ri brain comprehend what happened instead?
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I agree that the replicators might well kill off the Goa'uld (and everyone else) in the Milky Way, after killing off the Asgard - if they decide to go here (I've heard rumours they do, but I haven't seen anything after last episode of season 7, so...)

However, Earth are not the only ones to kill of and fight the Goa'uld. They have had much help from the free Jaffa and the Tok'ra - probably would not have been able to do it without at least the Tok'ra (who have been keeping the Goa'uld divided for centuries/millennia - Earth couldn't have started out fighting one big powerful Goa'uld when they came through the gate first)

Still the Goa'uld might have been been destoyed without us (most of them anyway), b/c:

-Jacob/Selmak says they have begun to eat each other and that has stopped their growth (which IMHO doesn't make sense with all those many symbiotes that can be spawned, but what do I know). He hints they might have become to crazy from the sarcophagus and it would only be a matter of time before they are killing themselves off.
                          -Anubis might well kill off the other Goa'uld, and he might have come to power without the Tau'ri, even if he might have had more opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                            Also, we offed Ra in the film, which started the chain reaction leading to the Goa'uld's downfall.

Fighting for power, Anubis coming back and having no-one to oppose his supreme reign (I suppose Ra kept him in check).

Which makes me wonder what Ra did to keep him in check, or whether he even did..

Comment

When the battle is won, "we" won it.

When it's lost, you !%"#&/ idiotic &#"%#&% lost it

Comment

Working...
                              X