Was I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I the only one?

To feel slightly relieved when we saw Chloe die, 1st or 2nd time?

She is my least favorite character since she is the character cause of all the "soap opera" crap going on with Eli and Scott. Not to mention the teenager-ish blowout she had in the nightclub. So far all this girl has done is bring more emotional baggage that is more annoying than it is character development or arc development, at least to me.

When I saw her die from the bug, I stopped for a moment and said to myself, "no...really...hopefully." But then I remembered it is still Stargate where anyone and anything can die but be reborn shortly thereafter. And then they teased us again with her in the infirmary.

And by the way, who actually buys into Eli's obsession with her so quickly? Kind of creepy and definitely has a bit of stalking to it with him always zooming in on her with the Kino.

I was happy when she died the first time, then disappointed when it was a recording. Happy again when she died "properly" but the moment the team on the planet learnt she died, I was disappointed again because I saw using time travel to save her coming from a mile away, even if the other team members hadn't been killed.

sigpic

Comment

I personally didnt enjoy watching her die, but then again I have nothing against her character.

In responce to the question about Eli, I find it funny you dont see how this could develop so fast. Hes a loner with no real friends, living with his sick mom and is a drop out from... MIT? She was the first person to really give him attention, so he latched on. It happens all the time.

Comment

You were definitely not the only one. I cheered when I saw her die the first time. I was genuinely happy when she died 'for real' the second time, and mortified when it turned out to be a "To Be Continued" episode. I was just fine with everyone on the planet dying, except Lt James and Rush. I was disappointed when James died, then happy when it was all just rebooted.

It's too early in this show's run to have to hit the "time travel" reset button. Consequences are interesting, and I thought this show would have them. It's disappointing when it turns out they just hit the reset button like every other SG before it.

Comment

Originally posted by bungeeguy245 View Post
          And by the way, who actually buys into Eli's obsession with her so quickly? Kind of creepy and definitely has a bit of stalking to it with him always zooming in on her with the Kino.
          Actually, that kind of stuff happens all the time. I see it at my job non-stop when we get an attractive young woman who is new to the job and guys make it a point to be friendly and nice, welcome her in, and quickly begin to trya nd get her to go out to lunch, etc etc. I'm not trying to make all guys sound shallow or anything, or even make Eli sound shallow, but its very common that this sort of thing happens and I've even seen it happen in reverse with a new young guy that the women find attractive and it all happens from the other direction.

Now, ramp that up by the fact there are after all only 70 people on the whole ship (Thereabouts, maybe not an exact number) and she's been being nice to him since pretty much day one. Coupled by the fact he's never really had any friends, probably not any girlfriends, and he can very quickly get an obsessive crush on her.

I don't think its unbelievable at all.

As for Chloe, I dislike the way her character is used quite a bit and when she died I knew it wasn't going to stick. Was I hoping it would stick? Yes, but mostly because it feels like quite alot of time is used on her but the character never really goes anywhere. That's not something we have seen in Stargate previously, and one element I really dislike about Heroes sometimes. Especially Season 2 who had a bunch of new characters come in, yet many of them were badly or underused and I wasn't sad to see the story continue without them.

After they were gone, things seemed to flow more smoothly. So far I think Chloe has gotten alot more negative reaction from people (based on these forums and people I talk to in real life) so I can only hope they either find some use for her character beyond her current role, or that the show move on without her. I hate to say it like that, as I would never wish someone to lose their job be it acting or anything, but a character can only stay underused for so long. I'm sure other people feel differently, this is just how I feel about Chloe (The character) so far. All the interviews I have seen from the actress she seems to be a really nice, intelligent, person who has a good personality.

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

While I ain't a major fan of her, I was still sad to see her character die, especially the second time around when we heard Eli's unknowing farewell to her. It really was emotional.

Also, while I ain't a major fan of her right now, that could change as the show progresses. Anything is possible and from what I have read, she will begin to really develop and 'have a purpose' down the road.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Honestly, Chloe is awesome and seeing her die brought me no relief. I could tell she wasn't really dead!

Comment

Originally posted by JeBuSBrian View Post
                You were definitely not the only one. I cheered when I saw her die the first time. I was genuinely happy when she died 'for real' the second time, and mortified when it turned out to be a "To Be Continued" episode. I was just fine with everyone on the planet dying, except Lt James and Rush. I was disappointed when James died, then happy when it was all just rebooted.

It's too early in this show's run to have to hit the "time travel" reset button. Consequences are interesting, and I thought this show would have them. It's disappointing when it turns out they just hit the reset button like every other SG before it.
                I think people really overuse the term "Reset button" when it comes to SciFi. I can't think of one heavily SciFi show that didn't use Time Travel and then have it erased at the end of the episode. Its a great story device, and allows you to show things that otherwise people would never get to see. If you don't have Time Travel storylines, there are some elements like how somoene would spend their last moments, that otherwise you would only get to see the moment a character died.

I was proud of the way Greer went out fighting like he did, and even seemed to be trying to uplift everyone around him with his "Get some, come on!" comments. That kind of stuff will fire other people up. TJ was still trying to save people even when bugs wee killing everyone, Eli didn't just hide in a corner scared he actually fought back and even followed Rush out to see if there was any chance he would have some last great idea.

How would we have seen any of that stuff otherwise? I know what people mean by "reset button" but it seems like a weird term to use cause nothing was really reset. Instead, it furthered the plot and character development ahead to the next episode.

Spoiler warning about Kino time travel.

Spoiler:
                As we see in Kino Episode 18, they found not one but two Kinos left over so none of the character development was really lost. Rush and Young got to find out they have something in common, people got to see Eli and TJs conversations. Everyone got to see Greer fight to the last breath, etc etc. The development stuck, just not the timeline.

- CB
                Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
                Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I think Chloe was always going to be the character most open for....shall we say debate, as in terms of the story she is pretty useless, not being trained for anything remotely useful in the situation they find themselves in (however should they run into a party planet I'm sure they'll be ever thankful she came along!) - so either she was going to end up doing a skilled job with less than a weeks training or she was going to continue to be useless.

But I don't like to see character die....most of the time

Comment

I actaully like Chloe, so I felt no relief when she died. If it would have been someone like Spencer I would probably have been a little bit happier...
                    sigpic

Comment

Apparently you are not alone
                      Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                      I think people really overuse the term "Reset button" when it comes to SciFi. I can't think of one heavily SciFi show that didn't use Time Travel and then have it erased at the end of the episode. Its a great story device, and allows you to show things that otherwise people would never get to see. If you don't have Time Travel storylines, there are some elements like how somoene would spend their last moments, that otherwise you would only get to see the moment a character died.

I was proud of the way Greer went out fighting like he did, and even seemed to be trying to uplift everyone around him with his "Get some, come on!" comments. That kind of stuff will fire other people up. TJ was still trying to save people even when bugs wee killing everyone, Eli didn't just hide in a corner scared he actually fought back and even followed Rush out to see if there was any chance he would have some last great idea.

How would we have seen any of that stuff otherwise? I know what people mean by "reset button" but it seems like a weird term to use cause nothing was really reset. Instead, it furthered the plot and character development ahead to the next episode.

Spoiler warning about Kino time travel.

Spoiler:
                      As we see in Kino Episode 18, they found not one but two Kinos left over so none of the character development was really lost. Rush and Young got to find out they have something in common, people got to see Eli and TJs conversations. Everyone got to see Greer fight to the last breath, etc etc. The development stuck, just not the timeline.

- CB
                      Exactly. This episode gave us...and even our characters. Moments to see how they would react, and what they would say if they were put into that kind of situation. I really do not see Eli...or Rush...saying the things they did if it was not a specific life and death situation, and then them waiting for it. And I do not think we would get to see Rush quite being that selfless for a while, that was a great moment for him. This episode was full of tremendous character moments.

Comment

I'm not saying they can't do time travel, but I think it would have been even more interesting if the '2nd' timeline was the end timeline, perhaps with a few less deaths, and the '3rd' timeline never started. The 'complete' reboot seems cheap.

Comment

To feel slightly relieved when we saw Chloe die, 1st or 2nd time?

She is my least favorite character since she is the character cause of all the "soap opera" crap going on with Eli and Scott. Not to mention the teenager-ish blowout she had in the nightclub. So far all this girl has done is bring more emotional baggage that is more annoying than it is character development or arc development, at least to me.

When I saw her die from the bug, I stopped for a moment and said to myself, "no...really...hopefully." But then I remembered it is still Stargate where anyone and anything can die but be reborn shortly thereafter. And then they teased us again with her in the infirmary.

Ever hear of the phrase " you have to hit rock bottom before you can rebuild"?

I have a feeling she needs to go through all this garbage to become a very deep and dynamic character. Daniel Jackson had some pretty crappy interpersonal stories in the beginning too.

Comment

I was actually disappointed because as soon as she died the second time i knew where the ep was heading - ie they send a kino back again telling the new arrivals on the planet what to do

Comment

Apparently, you're not the only one.

I wasn't relieved. First time, I knew wasn't final because there was obvious time travel going on (if you watched the previews). The second time... I found the timing quite dramatic, and I felt bad for Eli. So no. No relief from me.

the "teenager-ish blowout" was when she was drunk. And it was funny! Sorry, I'm amused by the behavior of drunk people (in both fiction and real life).

And she's also stood up to Rush. Twice. So I disagree with your statement about "all she has done..."
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                              X