PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Darschu
November 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Why did they not go back to the planet using the environmental suits as armor?

Is this honestly something that any of them would have forgotten about?

Any protection would have been nice to have, and those really do seem to fit the bill.

also...

-flamethrower
-spot lights (nocturnal creatures)
-flares
-nets

It was a suicide mission by all definitions with what they brought along. Even with the limited amount of "time" available, this was a botched mission.

s09119
November 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Any protection would have been nice to have, and those really do seem to fit the bill.

also...

-flamethrower
-flares
-nets

It was a suicide mission by all definitions with what they brought along. Even with the limited amount of "time" available, this was a botched mission.

They had an hour. There simply wasn't time to go around and gather up all those things.

Cecil Brax
November 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM

also...

-flamethrower
-flares
-nets

There was a time factor here. The suits might have taken a while to get into for all we know. Real space suits do take some time to put on and require a few people helping. Plus, they may only have one working suit at the moment. Remember that Riley was hurt THROUGH the suit meaning that the suit might have been badly damaged as well. We know they were working on a third suit, but who knows if that is done so its possible only one was avalible.

Even so, only two people in suits wouldn't have made much of a difference in this case.

You don't use a Flamethrower in a forest. Unless you want to burn to death.

Nets would have been nice. Do they have nets? I can't imagine they had a bunch of nets just laying around in the limited supplies they were bringing plus I don't think its standard gear for an SG Team, let alone a bunch of base staff.

Spot Lights might have been nice ... do they have those? I think I have said this before. Sure they could rig something up over time, but with only an hour or so left?

Flares would have been good, especially if you want a whole forest full of creatures that seemed semi-intelligent to know where you are. They wouldn't have helped Timeline 2 Greer much as the creature dropped down on him from the trees.

They had little choice and little chance of catching a live one at night. It was a last ditch hail mary effort that got them all killed unfortunately. Brave, but doomed to almost certain failure with only an hour left and no time for planning.

- CB

reddevil18
November 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Oh, what was the name of this episode? Time, was it? Yeah...they didn't have enough of that, what with the flare occurring in 45 minutes to an hour...

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
After realizing they need to go to planet to capture an flying alien alive to have a cure for the water disease. Their plan seemed pretty half-assed. In fact, they didn't have a plan. I found it strange the first time around while watching the episode. I was like: Didn't you guys just saw the video? Those aliens are ferocious. I thought we would see their plan to capture one aliens alive in action on the planet but finally they had no plan and they all die beside Scott.

reddevil18
November 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Well, what plan were you expecting? They had 45 minutes and they were desperate. That's all there was to it.

Xamindar
November 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
There was a time factor here. The suits might have taken a while to get into for all we know. Real space suits do take some time to put on and require a few people helping.

Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Well, what plan were you expecting? They had 45 minutes and they were desperate. That's all there was to it.
I don't know. I'm not the one who should come up with the plan. Getting killed ain't much of a plan either. Yes using the suits may be such plan. Maybe some form of armor. Maybe stand close to the gate with the wormhole open in direction of the destiny. Or maybe capture one of the alien dead and take their chance of finding the venom through dissection.

thekillman
November 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
the Kull armor in SG1 took half an hour to put on, 20 minutes eventually. would they waste half an hour at dressing up, then have half an hour left to locate and actually retrieve one of these creatures?

it was suicide, but actually, they still had the knowledge of the solar flare. should it go wrong, then they had a way to change time -again-

Giantevilhead
November 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The suit's glove probably can't fit in the trigger guard. Plus, they needed bait to lure the aliens out. If they were in the suits, they wouldn't give off any scent for the aliens to track.

Captain Obvious
November 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM

also...

-flamethrower
-flares
-nets

why risk damaging the space suits when you can just send back a kino and capture the shriekers while they are sleeping?

Also, flamethrowers are ill advised on a jungle planet. You could literally burn down the whole planet.

I wonder how many seasons until Rush and Eli pull a Carter/McKay and destroy a planet/star/solar system.

reddevil18
November 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know. I'm not the one who should come up with the plan. Getting killed ain't much of a plan either. Yes using the suits may be such plan. Maybe some form of armor. Maybe stand close to the gate with the wormhole open in direction of the destiny. Or maybe capture one of the alien dead and take their chance of finding the venom through dissection.It takes like 20 minutes to put on a suit, if I remember correctly from the kino videos. That's definitely out.
Some kind of armor? What should they use? Those vests already have kevlar built into them, but the things went right through. I doubt the dinner tray would have made much of a difference. Especially since they would have needed to be covered from top to bottom.

Stand close to the gate and hope they come for them? Sure, that sounds like a plan...unless you only have minutes to accomplish your mission. You can't afford to sit and wait.

Capture one of the dead aliens? Sure thing. But that still means they'd have to go looking for them, killing at least one and then getting back.

Essentially, they did the only thing they could.

Darschu
November 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Well there was at least one that understood the "time" in quotes. Time travel is a funny thing, and all sci-fi shows need to remember that. Once you set a precedence you should always remember to follow your own rules.

"Time has resumed its shape. All is as it was before,"

As far as a flamethrower in the jungle environment goes, well do I really need to point out how many times it has been used in real life jungle warfare before? It also appears to be a "rain-forest" and that would infer a damp environment to begin with.

These are nocturnal creatures and bright light appeared to deflect them, hence the flashlights in the cave. When those went out, they were attacked coincidence or not it was recorded as such by the kino.

The premise of this was based on there appearing to never be any indication of a thought process involved in their actions. This is a tv show and in such they have the ability to flesh out the story beforehand. They had ZERO discussion on how to accomplish the mission in any way shape or form.

Sim
November 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Just because...

Cecil Brax
November 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).

This doesn't change the fact that real Space Suits do take quite a bit of time to get into. Just because a fictional character did it in a fictional show with a fictional suit doesn't change the realistic time it takes to get into a real space suit. Honestly, him getting into that suit so fast always concerned me as a 'plot hole'. Now if someone who has really worn some of the Real Life space suits comes on and posts how long it takes to get into one, and its really that quick I will stand corrected and gladly say so.

Well there was at least one that understood the "time" in quotes.

Ohh I think more then one person had an idea what you were talking about. Since you bring it up, but again don't post the exact meaning of what you wanted to say, I can only guess on what your "quote" meant.

If you are referring to the fact they could just send another Kino back in time to give them another chance in another timeline, ... I'm going to refer to the movie "Stargate Continuum" here. Just because they COULD change the timeline, it doesn't mean they don't want to exist in their own timeline. Changing the past means the present doesn't exist and at the point they went on the mission no one was dead and they had very little time to try and save them. While they could have just sent a Kino through the gate and change events again, which they eventually did, I don't think anyone was willing to give up on their own lives so quickly since changing the past means their timeline would not exist as anything more then a "Kino memory".

I know if I was faced with a choice to change the past, or try and save the present, I would do everything I could to save my current timeline first before just giving up and altering my own timeline. In the end, faced with the choice Scott had to make, I would do the same but not before exhausting all possibilities to save "This" timeline.

Now, if you meant something else by "Time" please be specific rather then just expecting people to know what you mean. It leads to healthier discussions.

As for the other points you made, Flame Thrower, Spotlight, etc etc, I think enough people including myself earlier have given reasons for why we think they might not have gone down that direction.

- CB

Pharaoh Atem
November 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
sg1 didn't always travel to planets with suits and all the new new their gathered along the way

garhkal
November 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
After realizing they need to go to planet to capture an flying alien alive to have a cure for the water disease. Their plan seemed pretty half-assed. In fact, they didn't have a plan. .

Agreed. It just seemed like they said "oh the vid said go get them cause the critters can cure us. Lets head out!"

Also, flamethrowers are ill advised on a jungle planet. You could literally burn down the whole planet.

It looked like that jungle was very moist. Therefore the flame thrower would not (IMO) have burned the place down.

escyos
November 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
also i dont think they wanted to lose the suits if they did nothign to protect them.

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I kinda doubt those suits would have been much good for protection. Those bugs chewed through the people in seconds flat.

The flamethrower... well, they needed a live specimen; not a bbq'ed one!

Lightning Ducj
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The flamethrower... well, they needed a live specimen; not a bbq'ed one!

Rush: Do they burn?
Greer: They do now

escyos
November 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Rush: Do they burn?
Greer: They do now

There good eating!

Avenger
November 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM

And Destroy your only two suits? Terrible idea.

-flamethrower
-flares
-nets

Maybe the flame thrower, if they still had the means to fuel it, but where would they get the spot lights and nets?

Nothing ever goes as planned, no matter how well thought out or planned the mission is. Besides, none of what you mentioned would have made a significant difference.

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Ok, so because they did something silly like this once it should be precedent? I don't think so. I can find out how long a NASA Apollo space suit takes to put on and get back to y'all.

Darschu
November 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
And Destroy your only two suits? Terrible idea.

Maybe the flame thrower, if they still had the means to fuel it, but where would they get the spot lights and nets?

Nothing ever goes as planned, no matter how well thought out or planned the mission is. Besides, none of what you mentioned would have made a significant difference.

I generally do not like quoting someone in a reply as it always comes across as personal, but I really have to ask what is the difference between everyone dead, and a couple beat up suits (if...if there was enough time to put them on...ok...if).

It's more of the idea that nothing was quickly discussed. It's like they were standing in line at a bank and decided to rob it. :vala:

Now tell us what exactly would have made a difference? Pending future episodes explaining how Lt. "got a skirt, got a pulse" gets the Kino Back To The Future.

And does the same Kino occupying the same space at the same time unravel space and time. Or does the Alpha Kino negate the Beta Kino and reset to an alternate timeline? If so, then they have nets and they have torches as well...

Also, is there a group of white hats out there bent on defending SGU at all costs no matter how silly it gets? Just curious you know.

Nchewbacca
November 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well, they seemed to have time to bring "essentials" like iPods and iPod accessories (docks, speakers, headphones), so I imagine that they would be able to bring some bright lights of some sort in case the place they went to didn't have lights... But really, the iPods should NOT be there. Exact quote from Rush during the attack on Icarus:
"Hmmm.... pistol, or iPod? iPod, since there's an app for fighting aliens!"

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I generally do not like quoting someone in a reply as it always comes across as personal, but I really have to ask what is the difference between everyone dead, and a couple beat up suits (if...if there was enough time to put them on...ok...if).

It's more of the idea that nothing was quickly discussed. It's like they were standing in line at a bank and decided to rob it. :vala:

Well, hindsight is 20/20. They didn't KNOW they would all end up dead, did they? If they did, then I doubt they would've gone through with only 4 of them. There was a definite timing issue in the situation, and like I said above, what makes you think the suits would even do anything to stop those aliens? I mean, some ice punctured one of them in Water so do you really think it would act like steel plate armour in this instance?

Also, is there a group of white hats out there bent on defending SGU at all costs no matter how silly it gets? Just curious you know.

Is it totally inconceivable to you that some of us like the show? Sure, stuff doesn't get blown up every episode, but it's a fun show to watch. Apparently silliness in SG-1 and SGA is completely defendable (like Sheppard getting into a space suit in 3.2 seconds while under heavy duress, as said above) so why not in SGU?

Darschu
November 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I mean, some ice punctured one of them in Water so do you really think it would act like steel plate armour in this instance?

I am going to have to think that Tectonic sheets of "some ice" breaking apart a suit in a crevasse just might exert a LOT more crushing pressure than a pair of fangs and a slippery tongue.

Hell I'll agree that there was most likely little to no time to put the suits on at this point.

Is it totally inconceivable to you that some of us like the show? Sure, stuff doesn't get blown up every episode, but it's a fun show to watch. Apparently silliness in SG-1 and SGA is completely defendable (like Sheppard getting into a space suit in 3.2 seconds while under heavy duress, as said above) so why not in SGU?

Not being able to concede nonsense for the sake of defending a series is inconceivable.
" I do not think it means what you think it means :D "Love Star Trek, by god it's got some dumb as hell plot holes. SG1 ; just how many times is Daniel going to ascend? SGA ; seriously a worm drive?

They didn't KNOW they would all end up dead, did they?

(4) Soldiers going through the gate into a situation they saw unfold with their very own eyes on the kino replay, yeh they knew they were all dead.

Ann_Ominous
November 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Actually, that isn't true. Stargate has never ever used Spacesuits accurately. My first job out of college was working for ILC/Dover, the maker of the soft goods part of the Apollo and shuttle space suits, at the Johnson Space Center. In real life you have to get into the space suit, which does take quite a while. And then you just hang around in the suit for a few hours doing the prebreathe where you go from a regular air mixture of oxygen and nitrogen to pure oxygen. If you don't do this there will be nitrogen in your bloodstream and when the suit is at its working pressure you will get the bends and are liable to die. The suits have to work at a way lower than normal atmospheric pressure or else they are just too stiff and controlled movement is not possible, much less handling tools.

Now in the one episode with the replicators taking over Thor's ship it is Teal'c that they send out in the space suit. It can be explained that Junior kept him from getting the bends. But other than that.... inaccuracy with RL abounds! I could go on and on!

Ann_Ominous
November 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Ok, so because they did something silly like this once it should be precedent? I don't think so. I can find out how long a NASA Apollo space suit takes to put on and get back to y'all.
Apollo suits take way longer than the current modular shuttle suits. Each Apollo suit was custom fitted to each astronaut. The shuttle suits are modular and come in fixed sizes. Now they have on ocassion done a few things special. I remember one day a tech walked by my office with the hard shell for the upper torso. I said "Hey, that looks like it would fit me!" He explained that it was to be part of a suit they were developing for Dr. Anna Fisher, a very petite woman. They were having trouble fitting Dr Fisher into a suit using the current stock.

Anubis10545
November 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but... those suits probably aren't that maneuverable when in... and the aliens they were after moved pretty fast... so... it probably could have just added to the complications.

Encoder
November 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Probably because the suits are there to provide an atmosphere for the user rather than protect against enemies. Plus the environment didn't require that they use them.

Plus I think there's only a limited amount of them!

:sheppard:

Wayston
November 15th, 2009, 04:49 AM
they probably should have put in a line about why they weren't going to try the suits

but in general I'd say it was because they didn't have the time, not only the time to put them on but also to bump around in them on the planet... they looked pretty bulky and cumbersome to me which might not be too problematic in a 0 gravity environment but on a regular planet it would be a drag

storywise they obviously went in like this for shock value, we know Young has a tendency for suicide missions but you wouldn't expect to see him decimated like this because we know he has a plot shield!

PS why is nobody whining they didn't take a whicker basket along with them to carry the alien through the gate? planning on taking it along with their bare hands? now that's a plot hole! maybe they should have brought along an environmental suit to trap the alien in there then take it through the gate haha

Sonicbluemustang
November 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM
They send a Kino thru every gate so they determine if the planet is safe by that means. Thus not needing enviro suits if the air was breathable imo. :)

Ann_Ominous
November 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Yep, that was a plot hole. They weren't carrying anything that looked like they could put a live alien in to bring back. And once they found them, all they did was shoot at them. Did they think they were going to find one alien carcas lying around just injured and not dead?

Of course they were running out of time - both to get the alien before the solar flare and for the episode. It's possible that a bunch of lines and even a big chunk of the scene wound up on the proverbial cutting room floor.

Lord Hurin
November 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I am going to have to think that Tectonic sheets of "some ice" breaking apart a suit in a crevasse just might exert a LOT more crushing pressure than a pair of fangs and a slippery tongue.

Well, I don't recall Scott being crushed between tectonic plates. I thought that the shifting caused a sharp bit of the ice to catch his suit and puncture it. He was losing air due to a puncture. I could be wrong on that, but I could've sworn Scott said he was physically fine.

Not being able to concede nonsense for the sake of defending a series is inconceivable. Love Star Trek, by god it's got some dumb as hell plot holes. SG1 ; just how many times is Daniel going to ascend? SGA ; seriously a worm drive?

Well, your point was that they should've worn space suits to a planet that has breathable air and that it was a plot hole that they didn't. Because there's no reason to believe that the suits act as some kind of armour, there's no need for them. Thus it isn't a plot hole.

(4) Soldiers going through the gate into a situation they saw unfold with their very own eyes on the kino replay, yeh they knew they were all dead.

Now THIS is a plot hole. The basically knew that the disease would kill them if their mission on the planet was a failure, so it's not like they were worried about putting more people at risk than necessary. The lack of a net/ cage was also a plot hole. Grab one of those things with your bare hands? Buh-bye hands.

All in all though, I'm the type of viewer who doesn't need everything to make perfect sense. In fact, I kind of hate that everything gets picked apart no matter how small an oversight it is. With all the people on here pointing out every little screw up, it's no wonder a lot of people don't like the show without even seeing it.

Avenger
November 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
People being dumb/not having the proper equipment is not a plot hole.

I-Like-Pie
November 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I wrote the exact same thing a few days ago but my comment got moved to another thread

Here is my comment

When they went the second time, too hunt for the aliens they should have worn the suits.

BECAUSE then to the aliens it would have just seen as big rocks or some form of dead object or what ever, and the team could easily have killed a few and taken them back with them.

And a super clarification <Snipped by Moderator> I am not I say again not talking about preventing getting sick because it was from the water from the ice planet do you understand I am not talking about that.

What I am talking about is when they went to hunt for the aliens then they should have had the suits on because the aliens would not have picked up on their heat or life or what ever, it would have just have been like big rocks to the aliens.

And again I am not talking about preventing the disease since we all know it came from the ice planet.

Ok by writing it twice I think I can minimize the number of posts to about 1/3 who thinks that I think that the sickness came from the planet

Ann_Ominous
November 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
HUH? They would still give off heat in the enviromental suits, probably even more due to the life support machinery. That's basic thermodynamics. The aliens would of still known they were there.

And in case you missed my previous post, I will post this part again: I used to work for ILC/Dover, the company that makes the soft goods part of the Apollo and Shuttle program space suits.

Lord Hurin
November 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
When they went the second time, too hunt for the aliens they should have worn the suits.

BECAUSE then to the aliens it would have just seen as big rocks or some form of dead object or what ever, and the team could easily have killed a few and taken them back with them.

And a super clarification <Snippedby Moderator>, I am not I say again not talking about preventing getting sick because it was from the water from the ice planet do you understand I am not talking about that.

What I am talking about is when they went to hunt for the aliens then they should have had the suits on because the aliens would not have picked up on their heat or life or what ever, it would have just have been like big rocks to the aliens.

And again I am not talking about preventing the disease since we all know it came from the ice planet.

Ok by writing it twice I think I can minimize the number of posts to about 1/3 who thinks that I think that the sickness came from the planet

I haven't seen anyone post that they thought the illness came from the jungle planet. It was very plainly stated in the episode that it was from the planet they visited in "Water." The OP thought the suits would give some physical protection against the aliens.

I also don't think the aliens wouldn't have attacked just because they didn't know what the crew in suits were. They've almost certainly never seen a human before, and they attacked the Destiny crew without hesitation. Also, Ann_Ominous has some good explanations about the suits not shielding heat signatures, etc. They were made to let people work in a vacuum, not be stealthy.

Lightning Ducj
November 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I haven't seen anyone post that they thought the illness came from the jungle planet. It was very plainly stated in the episode that it was from the planet they visited in "Water." The OP thought the suits would give some physical protection against the aliens.

I also don't think the aliens wouldn't have attacked just because they didn't know what the crew in suits were. They've almost certainly never seen a human before, and they attacked the Destiny crew without hesitation. Also, Ann_Ominous has some good explanations about the suits not shielding heat signatures, etc. They were made to let people work in a vacuum, not be stealthy.

I agree

This line of thinking always reminds me of the line from Futurama

Leela: "Five thousand feet!"
Farnsworth: "Dear Lord! That's over one hundred and fifty athmospheres of pressure."
Fry: "How many athmospheres can the ship withstand?"
Farnsworth: "Well, it's a space ship. So I'd say anywhere between zero and one."

They are under water in a spaceship and Prof. Farnsworth makes the point that a spaceship is designed to protect the atmosphere inside the ship against the vacuum outside, meaning that the pressure is pushing *outward*, whereas being underwater, the pressure is pressing *inward* and that is *not* what the ship is designed for.

Point I'm trying to make is that a suite designed to protect you from the environment is not necessarily designed to protect you against teeth.

beafly
November 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I think a better question for the environmental suits, is why they havn't been used to explore the ship....

prion
November 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I think a better question for the environmental suits, is why they havn't been used to explore the ship....

They will explore the Destiny probably at the same rate that they explored Atlantis *cough*. But yes, the environmental suits would be perfect for that, or rescue missions, etc.

ZER017
November 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Honestly why didn't they bring the Keno. When Eli used it the night lit up and it looked like a video game and he could clearly see all the flying slugs.

I-Like-Pie
November 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
HUH? They would still give off heat in the enviromental suits, probably even more due to the life support machinery. That's basic thermodynamics. The aliens would of still known they were there.

And in case you missed my previous post, I will post this part again: I used to work for ILC/Dover, the company that makes the soft goods part of the Apollo and Shuttle program space suits.

These are space suits created by the ancients they most likely don't give away any heat or anything at all. Everything is most likely recycled some how.

There was another thread similar to mine which also of course got moved where some people pointed out that indeed they did not get sick from the planet, even though the commenter had not written that they did to avoid that I put it in

No they wouldn't have attacked the suits because the aliens are most likely not self thinking and understanding animals like humans but just primitive like insects or birds or what ever and to fly against something that gives away no heat or anything at full speed is equally as smart as to fly full speed into a rock and serves no purpose and the flying things would have most likely avoided the suits just as they avoid rocks

And that is why they should have worn the suits

Ann_Ominous
November 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, the suits were made by the ancients and definately more advanced than ours in some ways (smaller life support unit and more air), but they still would not of been heat invisible. They weren't stealth suits, as someone else pointed out. They sure tore easily as compared to space shuttle suits (don't think they had 5 layers).

And even if they did hide the heat and made the people look like rocks, they would of ceased to look like rocks the minute they started moving. They wouldn't of looked like trees moving in the wind either, but big moving pillars of rock. Those aggressive creatures would of attacked anything that moved, even a moving rock.

Your logic is flawed throughout. And as others have pointed out, they only had one working suit, at most 3 if they had gotten the other two repaired. But for all we know they could of taken the one suit down the third time when they got the creatures in the nest in order to avoid breathing the sulfur. That is the one and only one thing the enviromental suit would of been good for.

Transwarp
November 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
We've seen what the Asgard can do with these suits, so hopefully the crew will be able to beef them up in the future.

Also, if they were to use them for physical armor, why would they need to use the working one? Armor doesn't have to be spaceworthy. After a few million years, I'd bet the most prevalent issues with them would be the seams not being airtight.

Lord Hurin
November 17th, 2009, 03:50 AM
We've seen what the Asgard can do with these suits, so hopefully the crew will be able to beef them up in the future.

Also, if they were to use them for physical armor, why would they need to use the working one? Armor doesn't have to be spaceworthy. After a few million years, I'd bet the most prevalent issues with them would be the seams not being airtight.

If we are to believe that the Pegasus Asgard had indeed refitted Ancient suits, they made some HEAVY modifications. The shield generators, for one. Remember after the shields on the one suit went down and a couple shots was all it took to punch through?

Seriously, there's nothing to say that these suits have any sort of heat-dampening properties. Saying "ooh, but the Ancients built them!" isn't a valid argument. The Ancients built them, why can't they withstand gunfire or tectonic stress? Hell, the Ancients built them, why can't they fly and breathe fire? :rolleyes:

Encoder
November 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Seriously, there's nothing to say that these suits have any sort of heat-dampening properties. Saying "ooh, but the Ancients built them!" isn't a valid argument. The Ancients built them, why can't they withstand gunfire or tectonic stress? Hell, the Ancients built them, why can't they fly and breathe fire? :rolleyes:

I have to agree, esp. since saying that the Ancients did something, it doesn't have to be explained, or that everyone just assumes that its' going to kick ass.

We're gonna have to get over this at some point :)

:sheppard:

Ann_Ominous
November 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
And these were old Ancient suits, made way before the latest and greatest models.

blackluster
November 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'll agree with the posters who say the suits would have been mostly useless. There was only one working suit. Those squid made short work of kevlar, I don't think the suit would have fared much better. It also limits movement which would be counter productive against what turned out to be pretty quick squid that can come from everywhere including dropping out of the trees.

Their plan wasn't very good but considering the time constraint and the equipment thy actually had to work with, I don't think that there was logically much else they could do especially just going off the intel they had.

Avenger
November 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM

We saw them using them to fix the ship in Earth. Also, after what happened to Riley perhaps one of them is damaged as well.

I-Like-Pie
November 21st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Yes, the suits were made by the ancients and definately more advanced than ours in some ways (smaller life support unit and more air), but they still would not of been heat invisible. They weren't stealth suits, as someone else pointed out. They sure tore easily as compared to space shuttle suits (don't think they had 5 layers).

And even if they did hide the heat and made the people look like rocks, they would of ceased to look like rocks the minute they started moving. They wouldn't of looked like trees moving in the wind either, but big moving pillars of rock. Those aggressive creatures would of attacked anything that moved, even a moving rock.

Your logic is flawed throughout. And as others have pointed out, they only had one working suit, at most 3 if they had gotten the other two repaired. But for all we know they could of taken the one suit down the third time when they got the creatures in the nest in order to avoid breathing the sulfur. That is the one and only one thing the enviromental suit would of been good for.

Your opinion is very nice but of course it is your logic that is flawed.

The suits most likely absorb any excess heat and convert it into power, and of course any smells are also converted.

And again I don't think the creatures would have touched them, and you can think what ever you want.

rushy
July 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Also, you can't stay very long or the gate would be malfunctioning and you would be stuck forever and sooner or later the suit will damage under the alien attack. You could last maybe a week at most.