Timeline/AT/Who the heck actually understands this stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeline/AT/Who the heck actually understands this stuff

lol, yeah, you guessed it. I'm having problems consuming and understanding this time-travel stuff.

Ok, so. We have at least three different timelines in this episode, denoted here by AT1, AT2, and AT3.

As we saw, AT1 is our original team- they go through the gate, they get sick, they get burrowed into, and Scott chucks the Kino through the gate to get it back to what he thinks is the Destiny.

Next, AT2. They are the team that watched AT1's Kino, and hope to fix everything. They go to the planet to get venom from the creatures, but end up getting mashed up themselves. Again, everyone is dead except Scott. He tosses the Kino through the gate, and that's where the episode ends.

Finally AT3. This is the team that presumably gets AT2's Kino and fixes everything before everyone dies. (This part is speculation- I'm fairly sure it's correct, however.)

Ok, so now for my TT problem.

AT1 gates into DCH-666 (don't come here 666 ) at x point in time.
    Wouldn't AT2 run into AT1 at that exact same x point in time? Or technically, neither team would be able to because the gate would be busy from both requests. And while we're at it, AT3 would run into AT1 and 2.

I'll use a Continuum example.
    Spoiler:
    Mitchell gates back 1929 to change the timeline. Say, for whatever reason, he's not able to kill Baal. He gets killed and forgotten just like the other crew, and the Earth takeover happens again, and again, Mitchell goes back to kill Baal. Would he find his first self there? I think he would.

Am I right? Or completely off base?

Oh, and I'm not going to even go into asking what happened to AT1!Rush when he ran through the gate, not to mention AT1!Scott and AT2!Scott. Right now my head's about to explode as it is.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Timeline 1:
    Destiny shows up over the planet, they go there to find food supplies. Rush discovers human remains--unbeknownst to him, his own. People start falling ill, and at night they're attacked by the local monsters.

They survive a night and on the second night, Rush chances a jump through the unstable wormhole. He ends up dead in the past, consumed by the creatures attacking them, who then generate an antibody from his remains. Scott, feeling better after having been bitten by one of the creatures, tosses their kino ball through the gate as well--the catalyst for generating an alternate timeline.

Timeline 2:
    Destiny arrives in the system, and the first people through the gate find said Kino ball. Rather than continuing the search for food (as they did in Timeline 1, where there was no Kino ball), they bring it back to the ship and find out about the horrible fate of themselves in Timeline 1.

People on Destiny start falling ill without having been to the planet. Eventually, they determine that the creatures (as a result of Timeline 1, though they don't know that) have an antibody for the infection plaguing the crew. Young, Greer, and Scott go to the planet to try to bring back a live creature, but it's already too late. It's night, and the creatures are out hunting.

Seeing Young and Greer killed, and knowing there was no hope, Scott makes a decision: he concisely summarizes everything they learnt up till that point, and then tosses the Kino ball through the unstable wormhole--creating a third distinct timeline.

Timeline 3 (off-screen):
    Destiny arrives at the planet and finds the Kino ball with Scott's rushed explanation. They grab some sleeping critters and vaccinate themselves.

This is essentially the story that SG-1 tried to do with "Moebius". Except this time, it didn't suck.

Temporal mechanics in a multiverse....gotta love it
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think I've got it;

AT1's team arrives on the planet in late 2009, becoming ill very quickly and falling under attack from those creatures. They find human remains around the stargate, and are later massacred, with only Scott managing to throw a kino into the malfunctioning stargate before being killed himself. AT1's Rush also manages to get through, and, like the kino, arrives elsewhere in time. Due to tampering with how things will play out, this timeline now ceases to exist.

AT2 also arrives on the planet in late 2009, finds AT1's kino near the stargate, and quickly returns to the Destiny to examine it. Explaining how they found human remains is easy if you consider that we don't know where in time the wormhole sent Rush and the kino... both could have been sent back dozens of years, and thus while the Ancient device survived intact, Rush's corpse decayed, leaving behind the skeleton AT2's team found. They figure out how to cure their illness, but are unable to fix it in time, and once again, it is up to Scott to send a kino back in time, explaining what happened and how to solve the problem. Due to tampering with how things will play out, this timeline now ceases to exist.

Presumably, this is where AT3 comes in. They go to the planet and find Scott's kino, explaining the situation and urging them to find the alien creatures before its too late. With this knowledge in hand, they extract the needed venom and break the cycle. This timeline is the one that now exists in the show.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I'm not sure if that's what I was asking... But I've had brain farts before. What I was asking was- Wouldn't AT1, AT2, and AT3 run into each other in each of those initial dial-ins? For the same reason that 1929 Mitchell and reg. Mitchell existed in the same timeline?

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

No. It's not like the ship was skipping through time before it got there. The divergent timelines were a result of Kinos being thrown back in time so that they'd be there on the planet before anyone got there.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            No. It's not like the ship was skipping through time before it got there. The divergent timelines were a result of Kinos being thrown back in time so that they'd be there on the planet before anyone got there.
            Exactly. Think of it more like "2010" and "2001."
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

This episode time travel can be explain even without using the multiverse time travel theory.

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
              I'm not sure if that's what I was asking... But I've had brain farts before. What I was asking was- Wouldn't AT1, AT2, and AT3 run into each other in each of those initial dial-ins?
              No, the AT1 AT2 and AT3 destiny crew are the SAME crew which live a different future when they step through the gates and find their respective Kino (well the first time around they don't find any Kino).

So when scott1 send the Kino in the past by error. What he lived is erased. Including AT1 crew stepping into the gate. Only the Kino he sent in the past (and Rush's skull) "survive" and are the product of a future the AT1 crew will never experience.

(that's without using the multiverse time travel theory which also works here).
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                Wouldn't AT2 run into AT1 at that exact same x point in time? Or technically, neither team would be able to because the gate would be busy from both requests. And while we're at it, AT3 would run into AT1 and 2.
                There is no answer. Time travel breaks causality.
                You need X to happen for Y but if Y happens X did not.

So yes, they all should run into each other because Crew2 would not gate to the planet if Crew1 had not.
                And no, they shouldn't meet because, well, they exist only once and the existence of Crew2 precludes the existence of Crew1.

Comment

the people of the destiny arrive, search for food. after finding some, people start falling ill. after deaths by both creatures and the disease, Rush jumps through, and eventually Scott tossed the Kino through. Scott feels better because of a natural antibiotic in the venom of the creatures. Evolution allows these seemingly random things.

the team of the destiny steps through, finds a Kino, and goes back to the destiny to find out what it contains. after watching the entire thing, people die, they return, and try to get some creatures. everyone except Scott dies (hinting at how hard it is to change time, and shows irony), then Scott, knowing no other way, tosses his Kino through with the explanation of it all.

the team of the destiny arrives, finds human remains, a kino next to the gate and another kino nearby. they go back, investigate what's on both, see Scott's message, go back in daytime and gather some living creatures, cure everyone, and go back. they watch both Kino's and piece together what has happened.

point of irony:

Rush picks up his own skull.
                  Scott is the one who tosses a kino back in time, twice, and both times is the only survivor.

points of scientific interest:

alien live will develop similar to how our life developed: there are bacteria and archae. the bacteria are vulnerable to antibiotics (certain kinds).

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    This episode time travel can be explain even without using the multiverse time travel theory.
                    I doubt that

No, the AT1 AT2 and AT3 destiny crew are the SAME crew which live a different future
                    How would they be the SAME if they are apparently different (like not dead and such)?

So when scott1 send the Kino in the past by error. What he lived is erased. Including AT1 crew stepping into the gate. Only the Kino he sent in the past (and Rush's skull) "survive" and are the product of a future the AT1 crew will never experience.
                    Why is a human erased but a machine is not? A machine containing recordings of a human that was erased.
                    How was he erased if he wasn't erased?

Comment

What is always funny with the multiverse time travel theory. Is that Scott2 which send the Kino back in time to tell the crew what to do. Isn't really changing anything for his own timeline. It merrily create a new alternative timeline (a new branch on the tree) starting in the past.

In the sense that after he send the Kino into the past. His timeline doesn't simply vanish. He still need to face the aliens on the planet. While the Destiny crew still suffer from the water disease. But the alternate timeline Scott3 says a big thank you tho.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Continuum says otherwise.

essentially, the universe is rewritten. so there is an "alternate timeline" but not actually an alternate universe.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Continuum says otherwise.

essentially, the universe is rewritten. so there is an "alternate timeline" but not actually an alternate universe.
                          That is the non-multiverse time travel theory.

Comment

once the timeline changed, nothign before that technically happened, the only indication was the kino, which would be a paradox

Comment

scott's final scene solves the whole issie
                              • timeline 1 destiny crew goes to planet and dies and leaves a kino

• timeline 2 destiny crew finds kino and watches themselves die one by one. and realizes that there's something in the water their found a couple eps back. scott leaves kino explaing the whole issue. and how to fix it

• timeline 3 team finds kino and now knows that the planet is dangerous and how to solve the issue with the water. and no one is dead.

my personal view on things
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X