PDA

View Full Version : fps(first person shooter) view

globex
November 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Interesting view I would say. I liked the direction of this episode because it was different. It was kinda like playing an fps. Although, we are used to the third person view I liked it how it we were behind the actual player. A significant improvement from last week's boring episode MASSIVE I would say.

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Interesting view I would say. I liked the direction of this episode because it was different. It was kinda like playing an fps. Although, we are used to the third person view I liked it how it we were behind the actual player. A significant improvement from last week's boring episode MASSIVE I would say.
I think every gamer thought about FPS when they saw that point of view. I was surprise there wasn't more recoil from Eli. And yeah the episode was like night and day with that "Earth" soap opera crap from last week.

Driskoll Xun
November 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM
The similarity to FPS that I did not like was the "game resets." All in all though, it was a good episode.

UniGater
November 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think every gamer thought about FPS when they saw that point of view. I was surprise there wasn't more recoil from Eli. And yeah the episode was like night and day with that "Earth" soap opera crap from last week.

I have to agree. This is my first Stargate Series (I've gone back and watched up to season six of SG1 so far), but I have to say, the character development is good, but don't let it engulf the series. I didn't start watching SGU to see something I could watch on daytime soaps with a 'scientific twist,' I want vice-versa.

thekillman
November 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
i loved how Eli strapped a Kino to his cap and walked around. that, was great, it was awesome, and it really contributed to the idea of "i am here"

KINO = biggest win of stargate!

wargrafix
November 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
The kino device is the greatest plot element ever done. i wonder if it slices, dices, and handles up to 4 speeds?

Captain Obvious
November 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
The kino device is the greatest plot element ever done. i wonder if it slices, dices, and handles up to 4 speeds?

we learned quite a bit about that little adorable ball. For example.....

its not bulletproof....

Oranos
November 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
we learned quite a bit about that little adorable ball. For example.....

its not bulletproof....

I see a kinosode coming... :rolleyes:

Eli: Damnit Greer, how many times do I have to tell you to stop using the kinos for target practice?

Replicator Todd
November 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Its interesting, but i'd rather not see too much of the FPS anymore....

Captain Obvious
November 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Its interesting, but i'd rather not see too much of the FPS anymore....

I figure maybe 1 or 2 episodes a season with Eli as a cameraman, giving you the "Eli eye view" of things.

Blistna
November 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Time is the best Stargate Universe episode to date, period. It had suspense, a little bit of horror. The only problem was the whole reset thing, which I can live with. To have such a beautiful premise of the Stargate going through a solar flare, and you know what is exactly going to happen when it happens...I mean anyone with a brain would have thought of it. Why try to live when you can save everyone? Anyway...it was a great episode.

Borbarad
November 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Are you forgetting about the stargate? :)

garhkal
November 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
While i kinda liked it in doom, i hated it with tonights ep..

Count
November 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Time is the best Stargate Universe episode to date, period. It had suspense, a little bit of horror. The only problem was the whole reset thing, which I can live with. To have such a beautiful premise of the Stargate going through a solar flare, and you know what is exactly going to happen when it happens...I mean anyone with a brain would have thought of it. Why try to live when you can save everyone? Anyway...it was a great episode.

Is it really saving everyone to go back or forward in time, cutting yourself off from your only means of dialling home and potentially walking into a wormhole that's going to take you to night sometime in said time difference?

Of course they didnt know the time travel/solar flare problem, but they knew that an unstable wormhole could kill them and it may not have even been connected to the Destiny, so thru a simple malfunciton, they end up marooned on a planet on the ass end of the Sloan Great Wall, while the Destiny speeds off into oblivion.

marty2006
November 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Best episode of the series to date imo.

Azzers
November 14th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Absolutely great for the episode. But any time the script doesn't call for something similar, it would be annoying. Very Cloverfield/Blair Witch.

escyos
November 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
i like reset episodes, we get to see main characters die and strange things happening

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
i like reset episodes, we get to see main characters die and strange things happening

THANK YOU! The way people are posting on here, you'd think they wanted everyone on the ship dead. I can honestly say there's no one we've been introduced to so far that I'd like to see killed off, and plenty of them who I'd hate to see die. I was worried a bit when I first heard that Volker was dead. I like the character.

MattSilver 3k
November 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Heh, try watching this episode and going back to playing Halo 3's Campaign - the Flood and the Shriekers are a little similar (There are more similarities between the Shriekers and others, but the FPS POV made me think Flood).

SSJPabs
November 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Problem with reset episodes is often times there are no consequences to them. Everything goes on without anyone knowing it happened. This hasn't happened here: there's no prevention of the disease, it still means the guys we will follow from now on have to act to make it matter. So I can support it--as long as they don't do it to often as a cheap plot device.

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Problem with reset episodes is often times there are no consequences to them. Everything goes on without anyone knowing it happened. This hasn't happened here: there's no prevention of the disease, it still means the guys we will follow from now on have to act to make it matter. So I can support it--as long as they don't do it to often as a cheap plot device.

Yep, and like someone else said either somewhere above here or in another post, just because the characters won't know the conversations that took place in the other timelines doesn't mean we don't.

I mean, now we know
that Eli's mom has HIV,
that Rush is heavily interested in ascension,
that Rush and Young have some stuff in common,
and that Chloe and Volker seem to have the weakest immune systems on the ship.

That's a fair amount of stuff we learned about these characters, and without even considering the sheer entertainment value of the episode!

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm actually a big fan of them, simply because they often makes great stories. I judged each of them on their own merits. But more often than not the stories happens to be great, very entertaining or sometime even insightful.

A few thing the Destiny crew (or any scifi crew) do have long lasting consequences on the crew anyway. We also get to learn something about the characters.

Sometimes the one or more characters do remember the event, and its cool too as long as the story is good.

Blistna
November 15th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Is it really saving everyone to go back or forward in time, cutting yourself off from your only means of dialling home and potentially walking into a wormhole that's going to take you to night sometime in said time difference?

Of course they didnt know the time travel/solar flare problem, but they knew that an unstable wormhole could kill them and it may not have even been connected to the Destiny, so thru a simple malfunciton, they end up marooned on a planet on the ass end of the Sloan Great Wall, while the Destiny speeds off into oblivion.

...i am talking about...
scout using the kino and throwing it in the last second of the show, reseting everything that happened.

Encoder
November 15th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I just loved how Eli taped the Kino to his bloody head lol!

:sheppard:

kinseySG
November 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Thats a major problem in my opinion with modern guns, they're becoming far to easy to wield, thats what i think the surge in gun crimes has risen with anyways

The Mighty 6 platoon
November 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Thats a major problem in my opinion with modern guns, they're becoming far to easy to wield, thats what i think the surge in gun crimes has risen with anyways

As opposed to what, a flintlock musket? The basic operation of weapons like the m4, the trigger, cocking handle and magazine system have been present in weapons for the past 80 years. And while Eli got taught how to use the weapon in a short amount of time, its fiction and his weapon even jammed in the middle of an attack and he had no idea how to fix it, because the internal parts of an M4 are rather more complex.

NightWarp
November 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
As opposed to what, a flintlock musket? The basic operation of weapons like the m4, the trigger, cocking handle and magazine system have been present in weapons for the past 80 years. And while Eli got taught how to use the weapon in a short amount of time, its fiction and his weapon even jammed in the middle of an attack and he had no idea how to fix it, because the internal parts of an M4 are rather more complex.

Too bad he didnt have an AK then eh ;) j/k but its not like Eli was very proficient about it.. he got told how to hold it.. and to point it down range..
Had to love greer "what happened to short burst" comment on that..

The ... things.. attacking then reminded me of the other .. things.. that attacked the good guys in the movie Pitch Black (starring Vin Diesel) both live underground, nocturnal and quite deadly very fast.

_Famrir_
November 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Heh, try watching this episode and going back to playing Halo 3's Campaign - the Flood and the Shriekers are a little similar (There are more similarities between the Shriekers and others, but the FPS POV made me think Flood).

when i first saw those creatures i first thought of the little scoprion creatures in resistance fall of man much more similar