Something Rush said about Ascension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Rush said about Ascension

In the cave we have a scene with Rush and Eli talking about mortality. Rush then begins to discuss ascension:

Eli: You really think that's possible?
    Rush: I know it is.
    Rush: Maybe not for you and me, but that idea is the reason why I ended up here.
    Eli: So you think if we learn enough that somehow, somewhere out there we could discover how it's done?
    [silence]
    Rush: We have to make it through the day

So, the way I see it there is a hell of a lot to read into this one tiny conversation. We know that Rush has lost his wife, and that this appears to have had a very strong affect. We could also surmise that this could be a driving force in who he is.

Then, I wonder if the reason Rush has been so hell bent on getting to Destiny is that he believes that the "secret" can be found:

A.) Could have long ago discovered something before getting to Icarus that leads him to believe this is his destiny?

B.) Could this loss in his life have affected his own fears of mortality, thus he is seeking a way past the eventuality of life?

Remember his conversation in an earlier episode with Young, when he asked to have his name removed from the list. He said to Young that this was his destiny to be there, and he shall thus die there. I have a really, and I mean REALLY strong belief that this conversation with Eli tonight is going to have major story implications in the future, or if not story character development for at least Rush if not others.

Or am I just two fries short of a happy meal?

I saw it that way too.
    I think we are finally getting some sort of glimpse into Rush's true motives.
    I'm sure he knew a lot more about what he was getting into when he dialed the gate from the Icarus base and stranded everyone there.

He seeks ascension.. there I said it!

Comment

Yea I agree - he is looking for that - but I was reminded of something in SGA -

The human replicators - said a similar thing -

I think that they thought that they could "Learn" how to ascend -

Show the flaws in humanity - and his character.

Comment

I don't know if he specifically wants to ascend himself, but I definitely saw this scene as hinting at the fact that Rush has motives on the Destiny that no one else is aware of. This makes twice now that he's mentioned ascension.

Again, this is why we can't write this episode off as "pointless" just because time resets. We're still learning things that we hadn't already known.

Comment

Maybe he thinks his wife ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post

Comment

You can ascend yourself...Rodney was just didn't want to do it in Tao of Rodney - he reached the biological requirement and simply needed to release his burden.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                Or....he thinks he can bring her back or change events? For that we will have to wait to learn more of how his wife died.

Comment

Wait... if he wants ascension... can't he just go to the ascension planet in Pegasus?
                  These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

That planet doesn't really help you ascend besides making sure that there's no one bothering you. It's not like that Ascension Machine...

Comment

I think i have rush figured out. He has thantophobia. Something about his actions in Time directly tied up wtih all his motivations in previous episodes, he's trying to ensure he's not forgotten when and if (ascension as a motivation perhaps?) he dies.

Comment

I think Rush is trying to rescue his dead wife's consciousness and ascend it (and then him) so she can live forever with him, as energy.

You know, if I believed Rush was actually into the 9th Chevron Project for anything beyond craziness...
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                          In the cave we have a scene with Rush and Eli talking about mortality.

So, the way I see it there is a hell of a lot to read into this one tiny conversation.
                          Then, I wonder if the reason Rush has been so hell bent on getting to Destiny is that he believes that the "secret" can be found:

Or am I just two fries short of a happy meal?
                          I hope it's a sly and subtle hint about what drives Rush. It doesn't suggest anything nefarious, just that he is certainly hiding a big secret.

As I said, I hope it's a subtle hint. Bit's and piece's dropped here and there for the audience to piece together over the course of the season.

Comment

I think he's simply afarid of dying
                            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Subtle, as opposed to the falling anvil of the photo-of-dead-wife scene in Air?

Comment

Working...
                              X