PDA

View Full Version : Suicide?

Detox
November 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a suicide in this episode? Or did I miss it?

MattSilver 3k
November 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
*shrugs* The apparent suicide spoilers were given by an actor (Carlyle), and not one of TPTB. He said by episode 7, there'd be a suicide. The episode 'Fire' was split into Darkness and Light, so he could mean episode 8 by then.

So I really don't know.

Then again, someone could interpret Senator Armstrong as killing himself. Same with Rush potentially doing the same in this episode by walking into the unstable wormhole.

Cecil Brax
November 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a suicide in this episode? Or did I miss it?

I've been wondering about that myself actually. I expect it should come up soon, but so far we haven't seen anything yet. Not that I am hoping for it or anything, but they did mention it was going to happen.

- CB

MattSilver 3k
November 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Also, spoilers from Gateworld (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/11/new-details-on-sgus-mid-season-finale/) tell us that: (spoilers for Justice)
Some crew member's been shot in Justice. Maybe he/she offed themselves, and someone tries to frame Young for it?

wargrafix
November 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Its supposed to happen soon

jelgate
November 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I would say Rush jumping in the wormhole is suicide

VFX
November 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Remember the shooting order is often not the same as the airing order which is often not the script order. Air 1, 2 & 3 are one script. Darkness & Light were also one script. That leaves Time as only the 5th 'episode' aired, although it probably wasn't the 5th one in the shooting order.

The suicide happens Justice

Spencer is found having apparently shot himself.

But was it really suicide? Did Greer do it? Maybe Rush? Young?

Where's the gun? If someone hid it, where? & who hid it?

badwolfSG
November 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM

I won't say so. He knew if he stayed on the plant he was dead, however with the wormhole there was a very small change of Suvival. He took fate into his own hands, and pray he came out victoriously.

Azzers
November 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
He took fate into his own hands, and pray he came out victoriously.

If we see another death, I'll obviously know I'm wrong. But I can still interpret that as a suicide considering what he chose his last words to be. Young got the reference as well.

wargrafix
November 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Rush really was excellent in the episode. He realized the hopeless nature in the situation

VFX
November 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Suicide is undertaking a deliberate & successful action which intentionally ends you own life. spoilers for time

Rush took a chance by jumping through the gate. It wasn't a deliberate act to end his own life.

Trust me, it's Spencer who shoots himself.

Shpinxinator
November 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I acctually think it's going to be whats her name...um...the woman who cut her feet during an earthquake when she was a little girl

EvilSpaceAlien
November 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I acctually think it's going to be whats her name...um...the woman who cut her feet during an earthquake when she was a little girl

Her name is Dr. Linda Park.

I hope that she's not the one. I liked her.

MattSilver 3k
November 14th, 2009, 03:34 AM

Park?

JM's blog says otherwise.

It's Lisa Park, actually.

And I like her a lot too!

EvilSpaceAlien
November 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
It's Lisa Park, actually.

And I like her a lot too!

Right. I was watching Star Trek Enterprise, and I guess I got her mixed up with the actress Linda Park who played Hoshi Sato.

Sgt Detritus
November 14th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Remember the shooting order is often not the same as the airing order which is often not the script order. Air 1, 2 & 3 are one script. Darkness & Light were also one script. That leaves Time as only the 5th 'episode' aired, although it probably wasn't the 5th one in the shooting order.

The suicide happens Justice

Spencer is found having apparently shot himself.

But was it really suicide? Did Greer do it? Maybe Rush? Young?

Where's the gun? If someone hid it, where? & who hid it?

It had better not be that person who topped themselves!!!!! :mckay:

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
The problem is I don't feel anybody is on the border of suicide at the moment. Even Spencer seem to feel a little bit better. Sitting around and talking to people. But maybe if he doesn't have his pills anymore...

Lahela
November 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Geez I wish red rep was still available so I could give it to all the inconsiderate folks in this thread who post untagged spoilers about future episodes. :rolleyes:

MattSilver 3k
November 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Geez I wish red rep was still available so I could give it to all the inconsiderate folks in this thread who post untagged spoilers about future episodes. :rolleyes:

It's the thought that counts. Apologies from me, and I went back and tagged mine...

Pharaoh Atem
November 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM
i'm surprised we didn't see anyone kill themselves instead of waiting for the bugs

spoilers for Time

Skydiver
November 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Folks, it does no good to tag spoilers if you don't say what episode they're from

also, this is for discussion of Time, not future episodes

jelgate
November 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Suicide is undertaking a deliberate & successful action which intentionally ends you own life. spoilers for time

Rush took a chance by jumping through the gate. It wasn't a deliberate act to end his own life.

Trust me, it's Spencer who shoots himself.
Come on. He knew that the wormhole was unstable and that a successful trip to Destiny was slim at best. Yes he took a risk but then taking a risk is suicide. When a person knows death is highly possible but a person takes a risk just on the off chance it works. That is what happened here

Sgt Detritus
November 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM
The problem is I don't feel anybody is on the border of suicide at the moment. Even Spencer seem to feel a little bit better. Sitting around and talking to people. But maybe if he doesn't have his pills anymore...

Spencer doing something that doesn't make him look like a complete and utter banker?? Dearie me the writers must be slipping :)

Commander Zelix
November 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Come on. He knew that the wormhole was unstable and that a successful trip to Destiny was slim at best. Yes he took a risk but then taking a risk is suicide. When a person knows death is highly possible but a person takes a risk just on the off chance it works. That is what happened here

But staying on the planet was suicidal anyway. Those flying goaulds were just unstoppable (as Rush just saw). I think I would have tried jumping in the wormhole too.

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM

You mean untagged speculation? Unless one of these guys is a writer, I'd say they know no more than you or I do about how things are gonna go.

Lahela
November 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
You mean untagged speculation? Unless one of these guys is a writer, I'd say they know no more than you or I do about how things are gonna go.

Of course there's not necessarily anything spoilerish about speculation, but a particular poster claimed that what they had posted was not just speculation. If that's the case, their remarks should have been spoiler tagged. If not, fine.

UniGater
November 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
When you commit suicide, your intention is to kill yourself. Your intention is not to take a chance at preserving your own life when you feel your current condition would lead to uncertain doom.

If Rush sat on that planet and said, 'we're all dead, screw it.' That would have been suicide.

This was not the suicide people have been talking about happening in the show.

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Spencer doing something that doesn't make him look like a complete and utter banker?? Dearie me the writers must be slipping :)

I liked seeing Spencer not be a total jerkass. Means there's hope for the character. Nobody will bring him along on an off-world mission if they don't like him! ;)

Lord Hurin
November 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Of course there's not necessarily anything spoilerish about speculation, but a particular poster claimed that what they had posted was not just speculation. If that's the case, their remarks should have been spoiler tagged. If not, fine.

Then I apologize. I prefer not to read spoilers. Maybe I just tell myself "if it doesn't come out of writer/ cast member's mouth, it can't be taken as truth" out of denial! Lol :o

greenmen
November 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
So what about Scott? At the end of the episode we see him staying on the planet instead of using the gate, even though he now knows that it would send him back in time (along with the kino).
Chances are it would be not be nighttime on the other side. He could dig himself in to survive the night until Destiny arrives :) We'd have two of him then! .. uh

Lahela
November 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Then I apologize. I prefer not to read spoilers. Maybe I just tell myself "if it doesn't come out of writer/ cast member's mouth, it can't be taken as truth" out of denial! Lol :o

I totally understand - I'm trying to avoid spoilers, which is why I get irked when people blab them in inappropriate threads. I don't even watch the trailers, and it has been great. I think I'll adopt your method from now on :)

escyos
November 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM

linda park? when did this become enterprise?

Ann_Ominous
November 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
So what about Scott? At the end of the episode we see him staying on the planet instead of using the gate, even though he now knows that it would send him back in time (along with the kino).
Chances are it would be not be nighttime on the other side. He could dig himself in to survive the night until Destiny arrives :) We'd have two of him then! .. uh
It is never clearly established how far back in time the solar flare sends Rush & the keno. It's far enough back that his remains are reduced to bare bones. Even on a jungle planet that would take more than one night.

Takamuri
November 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Senator Armstrong committed suicide in Air to extend the lives of everyone else on the shi.

:)

VFX
November 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Time Spoilers.

Like you said he took a chance. It was a risk he was willing to take to try & save his life & possibly the lives of others.

It wasn't a deliberate attempt to end his own life.

Encoder
November 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Yeah it was when Eli spilled his guts to coma Chloe! :P

:sheppard:

Sgt Detritus
November 18th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I liked seeing Spencer not be a total jerkass. Means there's hope for the character. Nobody will bring him along on an off-world mission if they don't like him! ;)

Maybe they needed a spare "red shirt" :)

Seriously though I'm glad that Spencer went on an away mission. If he was deemed able to go through the gate it may mean that his mental state had calmed down which also may decrease the chances of him being the person that tops themselves.

Mind you having said that they might be making Spencer a slightly calmer person in order to intensify the shock if he does top himself

s09119
November 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Scott committed suicide by waiting for the wormhole to be affected by the solar flare before throwing the kino through, ensuring that he would be killed by the aliens since he could no longer return to Destiny. Rush did the same thing by jumping through the unstable wormhole, though he didn't know that it would end in his death at the time.

Whether or not they did it for noble reasons doesn't matter; it was still suicide.

FallenAngelII
November 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Not really. Suicide is not marked by an action but by intent. Rush didn't intend on killing himself. It was merely the result.

Imagine having to be somewhere and the only way of getting there is driving. Now imagine the roads being really slippery. To drive would be "suicide". You get in the car, with no intentions of killing yourself. But you slide off the road, drive into a pole and die. Suicide?

aarlin81
November 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Senator Armstrong committed suicide in Air to extend the lives of everyone else on the shi.

:)

His decision to board the shuttle that was leaking air so that he could hold down the switch/button to seal it off was suicide. Self-sacrifice for others is not usually considered suicide, as the goal is not to kill oneself but to save another. Even if he was already dying he made a conscience choice to hasten his death.

Scott committed suicide by waiting for the wormhole to be affected by the solar flare before throwing the kino through, ensuring that he would be killed by the aliens since he could no longer return to Destiny. Rush did the same thing by jumping through the unstable wormhole, though he didn't know that it would end in his death at the time.

Whether or not they did it for noble reasons doesn't matter; it was still suicide.

Rush wasn't trying to kill himself. He believed there might be a chance he could make it back to Destiny. This was stated. We also don't know what Scott did once he threw the Kino. There may have been a last ditch effort of self preservation. What Scott did is actually classified self sacrifice. He deliberately put himself in harms way with a possibility of death for the benefit of self and others (he and they would live on in an alternate time line).

senatorincitatus
November 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Phew! Wading through the mess of ignorance I didn't think anyone would mention this. Everyone is asking when we'll see the suicide and it doesn't even occur to them that we have.

His decision to board the shuttle that was leaking air so that he could hold down the switch/button to seal it off was suicide. Even if he was already dying he made a conscience choice to hasten his death.

We know about the suicide because of this Robert Carlyle quote:

“In the first three hours there are three deaths. It’s very heavy. There’s a suicide by episode six, as well.”

Of course, the episode six thing is no longer accurate, but the "as well" rules out that the suicide could be Senator Armstrong's death. Plus it just seems odd to say "suicide by episode six" when it happens in the second episode. Wouldn't you then say "There's a suicide by episode two"?

aarlin81
November 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
We know about the suicide because of this Robert Carlyle quote:

“In the first three hours there are three deaths. It’s very heavy. There’s a suicide by episode six, as well.”

Of course, the episode six thing is no longer accurate, but the "as well" rules out that the suicide could be Senator Armstrong's death. Plus it just seems odd to say "suicide by episode six" when it happens in the second episode. Wouldn't you then say "There's a suicide by episode two"?

Oddly enough according to the Gateworld production notes he said: "A suicide in episode five, I think".

Also I was pointing out that we have seen a suicide. Now have we seen THE suicide which is likely to be a major focus in a upcoming episode? No. Frankly I find it disturbing that some people are almost salivating in anticipation.

From the production notes for "Time"...

Since this suicide has not occurred as of "Earth," we're speculating that Carlyle may have had all three hours of "Air" in mind as a single episode -- making "episode six" actually episode eight. Just when the suicide will occur, however, is uncertain. Carlyle also told Multichannel News at the same media event that the suicide might occur in episode five. Neither episode had been filmed at the time.

senatorincitatus
November 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Oddly enough according to the Gateworld production notes he said: "A suicide in episode five, I think".

He probably mentioned it in more than one interview.

Also I was pointing out that we have seen a suicide. Now have we seen THE suicide which is likely to be a major focus in a upcoming episode? No. Frankly I find it disturbing that some people are almost salivating in anticipation.

I suspect the reaction would be similar if we'd been told there'd be a major death by a certain point in the season. People would still be speculating who and how. The fact that it's a suicide just changes that "how" to a "why."

aarlin81
November 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM

I think you need to re-read that. I was commenting on the fact that the episode number changed.

senatorincitatus
November 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think you need to re-read that. I was commenting on the fact that the episode number changed.

So you were. My mistake.

Commander Zelix
November 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I suspect the reaction would be similar if we'd been told there'd be a major death by a certain point in the season. People would still be speculating who and how. The fact that it's a suicide just changes that "how" to a "why."
The truth is that I anticipate much more a suicide that a simple death. Maybe because the subject of suicide is not talked about on TV very often. Its especially interesting if there's some build up toward it.

rushy
July 3rd, 2010, 02:49 AM
Wait? Hoshi Sato? The evil guy who killed Archer with Mayweather? Oh, sorry, well Spencer was the suicide in Justice in episode 9.

jelgate
July 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Wait? Hoshi Sato? The evil guy who killed Archer with Mayweather? Oh, sorry, well Spencer was the suicide in Justice in episode 9.

What are you talking about?

rushy
July 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry, forgot the quotes.

rushy
July 9th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Right. I was watching Star Trek Enterprise, and I guess I got her mixed up with the actress Linda Park who played Hoshi Sato.

That's right. And what I said was the mirror universe. So, Spencer will be the suicide in the tenth episode.