PDA

View Full Version : GateWorld's Features - Are You Happy?

David
May 13th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Are you happy with GateWorld's exclusive features (interviews, columns, reviews, letters, etc!)? What would you like to see more or less of? What would you add to the mix?

KatG
May 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Are we talking about the main site or the forum? I need to know before I can answer further.

David
May 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM
The main website. :)

spg_1983
May 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
how about the omnipedia? is that gonna get updated?

Mike
May 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I am giddy with Gateworld!

If it were a girl, I'd marry it!

I love this site. Great interviews, information, and now forums (I didn't like delphi)!

KatG
May 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Then I'm plenty happy. Only thing that could make me happier is to read a full report on Darren's visit to the set. :)

tera'ngan
May 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Love what you guys are doing. The forum change was an improvement. I REALLY like the interviews you guys have done. Articles are usually good reading. The best part about your site? NO POP-UPS! Don't ever change that!

So, all-in-all, I'd say I'm happy. But I'm not really the giddy type :)

-tera'ngan
who is wondering what exactly IS a "Stargate Schoolgirl?" ;)

KorbenDirewolf
May 13th, 2004, 02:03 PM
All in all I've got nothing to complain about. Not really anything I'd like to see more of. Don't really like the audio interviews, but that's just because my machine doesn't like them.

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I think the site is great. Love the interviews, love the pics and ep guides and omnipedia and all. Don't use the site an awful lot but I'm always very happy that it's here.

However, this being me, you know I had to choose the last option. Otherwise it wouldn't be me. ;)

Even if it ends with a preposition. :P Maybe especially because it does.

David
May 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
how about the omnipedia? is that gonna get updated?

Aah, my baby ...

I've written countless entries, probably near or over a thousand, believe it or not, that have yet to arrive into the Omnipedia. So I'm sharpening each and every one of them and improving upon them.

Darren has made a solomn promise to me to nail them down before mid-summer, but reasons beyond both our control might postpone it.

Might.

He has promised an update hopefully inside a week, and maybe, if we're lucky, before the end of this week! I'm all giddy with anticipation!

David
May 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Then I'm plenty happy. Only thing that could make me happier is to read a full report on Darren's visit to the set. :)

Hmm.. I don't remember speaking to him directly about that possibility. I can tell you though that MGM asked him to go, and though he did have the TIME OF HIS LIFE, his main obligation was to the Roaring Lion. Information-gathering for GW came in a close Second. He's told me that we have enough Stargate information for ... A while. Other than raw, juicy Stargate facts and some work for shows such as Dead Like Me, I'm not sure there'd be substance for a complete report.

Now watch him chime in and put me in my place ;)

Either way, we've laid out our summers, and a substantial amount of that time will be right here with you guys, working on some more ultra-features, updates, etc.

bcmilco
May 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Love what you guys are doing here, and on the website keep up the good work :)

Anthro Girl
May 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I voted for the last option...probably because I just got home from work. :S

Just kidding...the site changes and features have been great! Thanks for all your hard work!

Darren
May 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Only thing that could make me happier is to read a full report on Darren's visit to the set. :)Your wish will be coming true shortly, only not quite at GateWorld! ;)

Darren
May 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Darren has made a solomn promise to me to nail them down before mid-summer, but reasons beyond both our control might postpone it.Ahh, I think the promise was to get a good start on it before mid-summer. ;)

Seriously, now that school's out the only thing standing between me and an Omnipedia Fest is the fact that we're about to put our house on the market and move out of state. And all these interviews and other goodies that David keeps tossing to me!

"Evolution" (both parts) are nearly done and ready to be uploaded, with much more to follow. We'll make our way through the rest of Season Seven before going back to catch up on the first six seasons, going section by section to make the Omnipedia completely exhaustive in covering the people, places and things of the Stargate universe. (David isn't kidding when he said he's written over a thousand new entries!)

Come July 9, we also hope to publish Omnipedia updates for both SG-1 and Atlantis weekly, so the Omnipedia will be completely up-to-date before the next episode airs! That's the eventual goal.

Darren

Darren
May 13th, 2004, 11:17 PM
We've already been dishing out news and other material from my April 2 set visit and interviews, and there's a ton more to come. You'll find it at GateWorld and in MGM's Sci-Fi Newsletter (http://www.mgm.com/scifi/), including a full set visit journal.

We also hope to make some audio interviews available, pending approval. David Hewlett is an absolute riot!

Darren
May 13th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, by the by. Keep it coming!

(And watch for the next interview in the next few days!)

Champos
May 13th, 2004, 11:59 PM
See, the question can be interpreted in two different ways. Am I happy with the site, the answer to which would be yeah, reasonably so. Or am I happy generally, the answer to which would be, well, actually it would probably be yeah, reasonably so. Seriously (?) though, I think the site is looking good so far, with a simple, easy-to-use layout and plenty of useful information. No complaints from this end.

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 14th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Ah! Sorry about that. I thought I was voting for the Forum, which I would be much happier with if I could find my way around better, but I suspect the fault lies with me. "/

The main site exceeds my expectations and I just know it will continue to do so as you add new features. :D

Slainte
May 15th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I voted "plenty happy". I found Gateworld just as I started watching Stargate SG-1 in June 2002. Gateworld was great then, and it's only gotten better over time. I love the news, the interviews and the reviews. It's the place for Stargate info.

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I totally agree, its always getting better, especially this new forum, its really good :)

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I totally agree, its always getting better, especially this new forum, its really good :)

Yeah, when it's actually working. :P

David
May 15th, 2004, 02:22 PM
ROFLMAO just spotted your sig, Shadowboy!

Yeah at the beginning of April I noticed Darren was starting to allocate an ENORMOUS number of his resources to this project he had been talking about, a "new GW forum.." Frankly, I went "wee, great." and moved on. I probably was the last to find out, too. But then I got the exclusive tour a few days later and .. wow. I'm so glad everyone is happy with it. What a great GW family (is there a teary-eyed emoticon?)! :)

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
haha...

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM
i have been keeping up to date with gateworld for about four years now it just keeps getting better and better. id by a drink to the guys that keep it to such a high quality

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM
ROFLMAO just spotted your sig, Shadowboy!

Glad you approve. :P

(is there a teary-eyed emoticon?)! :)

Hard to find a happy teary one. This is the best I could manage: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/aahmed/azcrying.gif

Or maybe this one: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/bncry.gif

David
May 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
i have been keeping up to date with gateworld for about four years now it just keeps getting better and better. id by a drink to the guys that keep it to such a high quality

Hmm.. I don't drink, and I doubt Darren does. I could be wrong though!

(psst.. pass me a coke!)

David
May 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Hard to find a happy teary one. This is the best I could manage: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/aahmed/azcrying.gif

Or maybe this one: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/bncry.gif

Maybe you could find a happy/sad one at some bipolar site. Isn't one your homepage? :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Maybe you could find a happy/sad one at some bipolar site. Isn't one your homepage? :D

I'm not bipolar, I'm ineffable. :D I can understand how a simple mind like yours would fail to notice the difference. Heck, you can't even tell the girls from the boys! :P

Sam & Jack Shipper
May 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I'm so glad everyone is happy with it. What a great GW family (is there a teary-eyed emoticon?)! :)

Not everyone....I hate the new forum. :(

David
May 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Not everyone....I hate the new forum. :(

But you're here! It's great! Unless you're picketing for us to return :(

David
May 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Heck, you can't even tell the girls from the boys! :P

No, Shadowboy, No.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
No, Shadowboy, No.

Must make dating difficult. :P

TameFarrar
May 15th, 2004, 05:25 PM
loving it, enjoying it...having a blast!!! thats for the forum
The site itself........It is like wine as far as I am concerned .....just keeps getting better and better

Norlioness
May 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM
loving it, enjoying it...having a blast!!! thats for the forum
The site itself........It is like wine as far as I am concerned .....just keeps getting better and better

Ditto for me too. Love the site, David and Darren.

OT: ah, tracked you here, Tame.

Norlioness
May 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
No, Shadowboy, No.
psst, David, Look at Shadow's sig. ;)

David
May 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
yeah, I know! teehee, and look at mine! hehe...

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 08:41 PM
psst, David, Look at Shadow's sig. ;)

He wants me. ;) Of course, if he finds out I'm a girl, he could be disappointed. :P

Josephine
May 16th, 2004, 08:17 AM
I have a concern, whenever I visit GW, none of the graphics show. It's just little red exes. It's been happening for quite awhile now.

Is it me, or GW?

No wisecracks! ;)

Nolamom
May 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Sounds like it's your computer. I've never had any trouble getting the graphics to display. I wish I could tell you what you need to do to improve the situation, but I'm not that much of a computer whiz. I think it has a lot to do with connection speed and graphics memory, but don't quote me! :)
Nmom

SeaBee
May 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I voted plenty happy, cos I am.

No complaints, nothing I want changed, improved, removed or added.

Let's face it, I'm easily pleased! :D

Josephine
May 16th, 2004, 11:04 AM
i don't think it's my computer, i can see other site's graphics, and the avatars and graphics for the forum, only on gateworld do to the pictures come up as blanks. as far as my browser is concerned, the images don't exist on the server, or it can't retrieve them.

ShadowMaat
May 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Have you tried clearing your cache? Dunno if that'll work, but that's what people always say when a problem like this pops up. ;)

dorien
May 16th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I've liked GateWorld as a source of reliable information since I first stumbled across it over a year ago. You seem to have a good relationship with the folks behind the show. The interviews are great. But I never joined the old forum because I just didn't like the format of Delphi. That you've changed that is a HUGE improvement to the site for me. Thanks! :)

David
May 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I have a concern, whenever I visit GW, none of the graphics show. It's just little red exes.

Josephine, sometimes when I load into zones especially like the forum, I'll get red exes in place of certain objects. Try right-clicking and select "show image" or "show picture", depending on your browzer. It also REALLY helps to have the latest versions of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.

http://www.microsoft.com/ie
http://www.netscape.com

Hope this helps. Let us know ;)

sgeureka
May 16th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I have a concern, whenever I visit GW, none of the graphics show. It's just little red exes. It's been happening for quite awhile now.

Is it me, or GW?

I had the same problem in the beginning. I am assuming you are on dial up? I am, and the problem for me was that my browser automatically stops to download/display the graphics after some time when they are too big/too many.

If you're on dial up, you might try to disable the "Display Images" / "Display Avatars" options in "My Controls". The graphics are then displayed only by a link, but I stopped having the red X's. (Most graphics are the signatures anyway, so you don't *have* to see them).

Josephine
May 17th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I'm using XP, so I no idea where my cache is anymore. I tried right clicking on the images, but nothing happens, that's why I think as far as my browser is concerned, they dont' exist on GW's server.

I've got a cable modem, and the weird thing is I can see everyone's avatar and sig pictures on the forum, I just can't see the images on GW proper. Like the screen caps for the episodes, or the little pictures that got with the articles, the images in the Omnipedia....

On an unrelated note, is there anywhere the episodes are listed alphabetically to see what season they are in and read their synopsis? Right now we need to know the season and I'm not that familiar with them all, or I have to figure out what other race/characters were in it and look it up though their entry in the Omnipedia.

ex, I want to look up the episode The First Ones, but don't know the season. I know it has the Unas in it, so I go to the Omnipedia, Races, Unas, scroll to the bottom to click on The First Ones. Do able, but an alphabetical listing would be faster. Great for us lazy people. :)

thanks all!

KatG
May 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Your wish will be coming true shortly, only not quite at GateWorld! ;)

Hmmm. A mystery huh? Cool.

Josephine
May 17th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Ok, this is whacked... I'm in the Forum and I go to GW from the Forum link, and all the images are there. So I think it's fixed. I go to another site, then go to GW from my IE favorites link, and the images are gone again.

ok, I figured it out. I hope. my favorites link went to gateword.net, not gateworld.net/index.shtml.

Heh. :D

Now about that alphabetical listing....

Elwe Singollo
May 17th, 2004, 10:00 PM
happy, im happy :)

Supreme Commander Thor
May 17th, 2004, 10:05 PM
happy, im happy :)
Me too. Great job folks!

keshou
May 18th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I love Gateworld.net, it was invaluable when I first found the show and was catching up on Stargate. I like the recent remodeling of the main page - it has resulted in a much cleaner look. The old page was a little busy and I sometimes didn't even see the poll questions or other smaller items.

The new forum also looks great, ya'll have certainly put a lot of effort into it. I miss a few things about the old Delphi forum but I'm adjusting. :S

My fave Gateworld.net features:

*News items ( I always check this first)
*Today's SG-1 episodes (with all the repeats on Scifi, this is very helpful)
*Interviews (these have been great, nice job David)
*Episode Summaries/Transcripts
*Ratings summaries by season
*Omnipedia

Thanks for all your hard work! :D :D

David
May 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
The next interview should be up very, very soon, and will mark GateWorld's longest to date :)

Aphrodite
May 18th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I was unable to choose between these three.
"Wow, I can't keep up with you guys!" - Still unable to keep up with the regulars in the Forum :)

"I am as giddy as a Stargate school-girl!" - Because this is a fantastic site and it just gets better and better! :)

"I am plenty happy." - Overall I am plenty happy especially with the friendliness that goes on in the Forum and the amount of things I can read up on this site.:)

Bagpuss
May 19th, 2004, 02:51 AM
I voted "Plenty Happy". I like GW as it's a friendly,informative place to catch up on Stargate info.and dose up on updates,as and when they become available!

Really looking forward to more Cast/Guest Character interviews. :D

Hatusu
May 19th, 2004, 10:26 PM
And Darren, you promised!

Darren
May 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
It's written, my dear! That one is for MGM to publish in June. We'll see how much they end up cutting, if anything, as the writer's draft is over 4,000 words!

Hatusu
May 21st, 2004, 09:13 PM
I personally enjoy the layout, the colors, the avatars and the smilies. I also like the new catagories for threads. It's been a little bit like a high school reunion trying to recognize old friends and favorites, but that's been fun. :) I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for all the work everyone has done on this!;)
Can we add a birthday cake graphic to the choices?

Hatusu
May 21st, 2004, 09:16 PM
Ooh,! I just became a Jaffa Warrior. Will there be a party?

Crazedwraith
May 22nd, 2004, 10:15 AM
Ooh,! I just became a Jaffa Warrior. Will there be a party?
no

USS Thunderchild
May 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Well, this is only the second board I've ever joined, and I think the design is really great. It's obvious that you guys put a lot of work into it. I never joined the old one, because the format was a bit strange, but now that you updated it, I had no excuse not to join.

Phil

David
May 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Was the other forum you joined a VBulletin forum, thunderchild?

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
August 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I particularly love the new, humorous screencaps behind the titles. They crack me up.

And, incidentally, your last poll option does *NOT* end in a preposition. It's a dangling infinitive.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Shadow...But the good (bad?) news is that dangling infinitives are wrong, too--but they're also a fun euphemism for something (I don't know what because I'm so innocent :D )

Pharaoh Atem
May 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM
this is old but we are on the verge of gateworld 2.0 so it might help give important feedback so... bump

scifi_girl
May 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM
i voted for plenty happy. i love visiting this site

BC - 303
June 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
i havent seen the "Green"ing function anyware else, and i go to quite a few forums, i really like that funtion!
Being able to reward people for being constructive to the forum
Gateworld isnt complete (see thread "Why is Gateword incomplete") but its the best stargate website out there, and its got a wonderful community.

the fifth man
June 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Overall, I am definitely "plenty happy". I love visiting this website almost daily.

SG-1ssm
June 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
I don't like it how the columns are never updated...

JacksCSM
June 22nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
If I don't get my daily 'fix' of GW I get cranky :)

Have been here for going on two years and have never been disappointed. Has been neat to watch the site evolve over that time period also.

Really admire David and Darren's dedication to keeping this wonderful site going and going and going. Also admire the mods that give of their time too. David and Darren also throw some awesome dinner gatherings ;) for those of us who have been lucky enough to be at the same place at the same time with them.

Keep up the good work gentlemen and ladies - I salute you hehehehe.

Seshat
June 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I am plenty happy. :) And that's saying a lot. ;)

There can never be too many interviews to suit me. I love 'em! :zelenka25:

Thunderbird 2
June 23rd, 2006, 12:22 AM
Plently happy - I like it here!

One idea I have had - Would it be practical for Gateworld to set up a member locator search filter? Thgat way subscribed members could introduce themselvesd to other fans in their vicinity and perhaps organise the oportunitiy to meet each other at meetings or get togethers? There could be an "opt out" action for members who don't want to participate?

I am still relaively new to Gateworld, and forums in general, but I have no intention of gating elsewhere! Keep up the good work! :jack_new_anime07: :weiranime17: :beckettanime04: