This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EP Brad Wright argument with CT's critic Maureen Ryan

After Maureen's review about 'V' included a single (and quite flamboyant imo) line about SGU - "Syfy's "Stargate Universe," is a boring, poorly plotted, lamentably sexist mess" - (full 'V' review here);

Brad Wright added a comment in the review post itself, which prompted a long reply (which is actually an entire article) by Maureen about it - (both comment and reply can be found here).

This whole subject, and the public 'fight', is controversial to say the least...
    I'm not really sure why I'm posting about it... I guess I was just surprised that an executive producer of a show and a well known critic from a very well known site have such a fight publicly... it seems rather... unprofessional.

Donno.

(I tried to find this discussed on the board, but couldn't... remove if need be)
    sigpic

It's publicity for the show. It's got people talking.

Comment

V is a remake. and not even a good one at that.

Comment

Here's more-

TvbytheNumbers: Stargate Universe producer Brad Wright talks back to critics, talks smack about ABC's V ratings

It does seem petty- and not all publicity is good.

Comment

It's all promotion...

And if it wasn't, I find it funny having a 'critic' called on their criticism of a show... It always amuses me.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
            It does seem petty- and not all publicity is good.
            It's got people talking about the show, which is what is required. I'll agree, but I don't think this is particularly bad publicity for SGU. Now Sharon Osbourne saying 'God hit Susan Boyle with a *****ing ugly stick' and then cackling like a witch. THAT is my definition of bad publicity. A 'spat' between a critic and a showrunner that is being well reported isn't quite in that kind of league

Comment

I've never seen these producers try and defend a show like this. It really must be very bad the feedback. First the twitter, Joe M's blog, and now this. Yet the ratings seem to be doing very well. It's amazing how much a small group can make such a large impact.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                It's got people talking about the show, which is what is required. I'll agree, but I don't think this is particularly bad publicity for SGU. Now Sharon Osbourne saying 'God hit Susan Boyle with a *****ing ugly stick' and then cackling like a witch. THAT is my definition of bad publicity. A 'spat' between a critic and a showrunner that is being well reported isn't quite in that kind of league
                I disagree, partly because her original review from Oct. 1 was so damning, and she's a well-respected critic who knows her sci-fi. If it were a controversy- such as body-switching sex or how a gay person is portrayed- I'd definitely agree with you. But highlighting the fact that a prominent critic universally panned the show doesn't seem like a smart move, and really ought to be beneath BW anyway.

It's disturbing to me as a fan, too. The level of acrimony surrounding this franchise continues to reach new heights on a daily basis, and it's just no fun anymore.
                Last edited by VSS; 09 November 2009, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I thought it was silly. Wright accuses Ryan of being petty. So what? It's like criticising a dog for barking. Ryan is a critic, it's her job. And then Wright is just as petty by implying that V will soon be canned. He can't have it both ways.

I also found some of Mallozzi's previous comments bizarre when he suggested that criticism of characters was verboten because it would hurt the cast's feelings. Grow up! If the cast can't distinguish between their personal and professional selves then they need counselling or something.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                    V is a remake. and not even a good one at that.
                    Excuse me. Is this a reaction to what was said. V has only aired one 45 min episode how can you deduct from 45 mins it's bad...?

Comment

It's disturbing to me as a fan, too. The level of acrimony surrounding this franchise continues to reach new heights on a daily basis, and it's just no fun anymore.
                      That's why I periodically drop out of fandom. It really shouldn't be so difficult to enjoy something, and you shouldn't be cut down for it. Plus the negativity - from pretty much every side - gets a little much for my tastes. I'm weighing up doing the same now, 'cause I want to enjoy SGU - not read constant negativity.

That being said, I am surprised that Brad Wright commented, but something in me makes me wonder if it was him who commented. It just isn't... Brad like. Especially when you consider it was a throw away comment about SGU that sparked to response.

Not that I believe that this is going to adversely affect the ratings of the show... people who hate it will still hate it (and have something new to complain about). People who love it will still love it. And yet - there is a little free publicity to go around.

All in all, not too much to complain about .
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        I've never seen these producers try and defend a show like this. It really must be very bad the feedback. First the twitter, Joe M's blog, and now this. Yet the ratings seem to be doing very well. It's amazing how much a small group can make such a large impact.
                        Don't forget when Brad came on GW to try to set the record straight regarding his comments about SG-1 and SGA. Happened to be the day the first ratings for SGU were released.

I appreciated it- but I was surprised given the fact that we've been told such a small group can't really make a large impact. This is all very strange.

Comment

Don't forget when Brad came on GW to try to set the record straight regarding his comments about SG-1 and SGA. Happened to be the day the first ratings for SGU were released.

I appreciated it- but I was surprised given the fact that we've been told such a small group can't really make a large impact. This is all very strange.
                          Yeah the good ole SG-1/SGA vs SGU debate.

I've accepted SGA's cancellation, I know that no matter how high the ratings would of been the show would of still ended for SGA. The producers wanted to do something different. They will never come forth and say that because it will just add more negativity to the fire. For crying out loud Robert Cooper said he was bored with the Stargate they have been doing.

Anyway, BW does not need to go after a critic like this, especially knowing the ratings are doing well. It's amazing how such a small vocal group can get under the skin of these actors and producers. You need a thick skin to be a writer, producer, or an actor.

Folks here are going to say, oh it's nothing. That is not true, because when the producers of the show get in these people's faces, then there is an issue.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            Yeah the good ole SG-1/SGA vs SGU debate.

I've accepted SGA's cancellation, I know that no matter how high the ratings would of been the show would of still ended for SGU. The producers wanted to do something different. They will never come forth and say that because it will just add more negativity to the fire. For crying out loud Robert Cooper said he was bored with the Stargate they have been doing.

Anyway, BW does not need to go after a critic like this, especially knowing the ratings are doing well. It's amazing how such a small vocal group can get under the skin of these actors and producers. You need a thick skin to be in hollywood. I am a musician, and if I cannot take criticism then I should not be playing out anymore.

Folks here are going to say, oh it's nothing. That is not true, because when the producers of the show get in these people's faces, then there is an issue.
                            I'm not bringing up the SG-1/SGA vs. SGU thing per se, only to point out that BW has been known to shoot from the hip a time or two, and also to spend time making comments on blogs. So I don't doubt at all that it was really him making the comments- plus, it's not that hard to track down the identity of a poster on a blog if you really want to.

Comment

I'm not bringing up the SG-1/SGA vs. SGU thing per se, only to point out that BW has been known to shoot from the hip a time or two, and also to spend time making comments on blogs. So I don't doubt at all that it was really him making the comments- plus, it's not that hard to track down the identity of a poster on a blog if you really want to.
                              I believe it was him too. It wasn't his finest hour, but I suppose the criticism without anything to back it up - like she initially offered - may get a little frustrating sometimes. And even the people with the thickest skins can become frustrated.

I really don't think that this is the most horrible thing to happen. It'll die down and we'll get on with life. It's not completely unprecidented for execs to comment - but at least he was respectful and didn't do it on TV

Comment

Working...
                              X