PDA

View Full Version : "Stargate: Universe" is a U.S. Military Drama

Col. Tomorian
November 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
"Stargate: Universe" is a U.S. Military Drama
Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military based show.

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead. I watch "Stargate" for the science-fiction, and I don't watch it for the military and bureaucrat drama.

Coronach
November 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military advertisement.

Would not that make "Stargate" into a military drama instead of a science-fiction series?

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead.

SGU is (as were SG-1 and SGA) a military science fiction show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_science_fiction

Soledat
November 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military advertisement.

Would not that make "Stargate" into a military drama instead of a science-fiction series?

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead.

But it IS still science fiction, but a bit stripped from all of this techno babbling. It's a different category though.

It's more focused on people, but it's still a sci-fi. It would be boring if the next show was a replica of the previous one, just in different circumstanes. This difference is the major reason why I'm waiting so impatiently for the next episode.

Personally I think it's not less sci-fi just because it shows more people less technology.

You may disagree with me of course, and I respect your opinion.

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
It's a military drama, sure, but I don't think it's "instead of" scifi, but "as well as".

Flyboy
November 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military based show.

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead. I watch "Stargate" for the science-fiction, and I don't watch it for the military and bureaucrat drama.
Actually... that's kinda more reason for me to watch.

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't call SGU "JAG in Space" though :P

The funny thing is that on the Destiny there's actually not very many officers.

ARealArchaeologist
November 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't call SGU "JAG in Space" though :P

The funny thing is that on the Destiny there's actually not very many officers.

I agree. I can't see the JAG in space angle. It does have a military aspect, but one that I find fairly respectful to both those in and out of the military. It is what it is and I don't know that I would like the franchaise without the military angle.

KEK
November 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM

SGU is probably more of a science fiction show than SG-1 or Atlantis were. Things like the implications of the Ancient stones (and the science fiction elements of the show in general) are actually explored in SGU, whereas in SG-1 they'd be used to make a nice hour long action story and hardly ever be referenced again.

jwgrlrrajn
November 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
SGU is probably more of a science fiction show than SG-1 or Atlantis were. Things like the implications of the Ancient stones (and the science fiction elements of the show in general) are actually explored in SGU, whereas in SG-1 they'd be used to make a nice hour long action story and hardly ever be referenced again.
With the exception of the Stargate that is...

Seriously, they may the use the comm stones more, but now the Stargate itself seems more like an afterthought.

Ashman
November 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I think that both SGA & SG1 where all about the gate & tech stuff. We never really saw the human factor. Like wow how do you really process waking a an enemy that beat the ancients? BTW fighting that enemy with limited bullets! before we got the zpm!

Vladius
November 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAH!

U.S. JINGOISM! WAAAAAAH!

MILITARY SHOW! WAAAAAH!

Do you even like Stargate?

PG15
November 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned, SGU is Sci-fi Drama, while SG1/SGA were Sci-Fi Action/Adventure.

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned, SGU is Sci-fi Drama, while SG1/SGA were Sci-Fi Action/Adventure.

And both are all good but may tend to not always have the same set of viewers, or viewer interest.

Mitchell82
November 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
With the exception of the Stargate that is...

Seriously, they may the use the comm stones more, but now the Stargate itself seems more like an afterthought.

Not really. The gate is still a big part of the show just not as much. Personally I like how more character involved SGU is.

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
SGU is (as were SG-1 and SGA) a military science fiction show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_science_fiction
:indeed:

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
And both are all good but may tend to not always have the same set of viewers, or viewer interest.Which is all very well and good except that the viewership crossover is taking a long time carrying over to the SGU forum.

now the Stargate itself seems more like an afterthought.The what gate????
[edit]Oh, you mean that spinning space door thing.

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Meh, it's drama with a Stargate twist. I mean "Come on!!!!" - :mckay:

Who wouldn't want to get their eyes on to anything with a Stargate twist.

Hey...that sounds like a great name for a drink...!

:sheppard:

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Which is all very well and good except that the viewership crossover is taking a long time carrying over to the SGU forum.

Hey, I'm here :)

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hey, I'm here :)Hmm?
My point that if Colonel Young was here and saw all the 'haters' in this fan forum, well you know what he'd say.

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hmm?
My point that if Colonel Young was here and saw all the 'haters' in this fan forum, well you know what he'd say.

He'd call us, "the wrong people"! :P

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
He'd call us, "the wrong people"! :P

...in the wrong place

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hmm?

If you follow my post history you will realize a) I have not posted before SG:Universe and b) I like the show :)

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
If you follow my post history you will realize a) I have not posted before SG:Universe and b) I like the show :)Um, what made you think I was referring to you? I mention ducks once and you think everything I say is about you?

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Um, what made you think I was referring to you? I mention ducks once and you think everything I say is about you?

I was referring to this

"viewership crossover is taking a long time carrying over to the SGU forum."

I would say I could be seen as part of that crossover. While I did enjoy SG:1, I did not participate on the forum until SG:U

Vapor
November 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction?

I'm sorry, but anyone saying that SGU isn't science-fiction is just plain wrong. It may not be the type of sci-fi that you expected to see, or what you're personally used to seeing, but that doesn't change the indisputable fact that it is sci-fi.

There is no argument that you can make against this. You'd sooner be able to claim that the sky isn't blue.

As long as there is a Stargate, and com stones, and energy weapons, and ships plunging into stars to refuel, SGU will continue to be sci-fi, from now until the end of time.

ttsec
November 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The sky was gray today outside, so I guess SGU isn't science fiction.

Soledat
November 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry, but anyone saying that SGU isn't science-fiction is just plain wrong. It may not be the type of sci-fi that you expected to see, or what you're personally used to seeing, but that doesn't change the indisputable fact that it is sci-fi.

There is no argument that you can make against this. You'd sooner be able to claim that the sky isn't blue.

As long as there is a Stargate, and com stones, and energy weapons, and ships plunging into stars to refuel, SGU will continue to be sci-fi, from now until the end of time.

Why this must sufrace in EVERY thread? Go, browse the forum, read... how much? around 1000 posts with agrumentation if it is sci-fi or not and please, stick to the topic.

I understand, that the discussion changes it's flow, but why always must it be the same, most over-done one?

Here, we discuss is this show a military drama or not. No, if it's a sci-fi. Is it so very hard to read the question and stick to the topic?

Vapor
November 8th, 2009, 11:52 PM
The sky was gray today outside, so I guess SGU isn't science fiction.

LOL. I said that you would sooner be able to argue that the sky isn't blue. Meaning that it would be easier to argue than the point that SGU isn't sci-fi.

Why this must sufrace in EVERY thread? Go, browse the forum, read... how much? around 1000 posts with agrumentation if it is sci-fi or not and please, stick to the topic.

I understand, that the discussion changes it's flow, but why always must it be the same, most over-done one?

Here, we discuss is this show a military drama or not. No, if it's a sci-fi. Is it so very hard to read the question and stick to the topic?

Ummmm. I quoted the very first post in this thread that launched the discussion in the first place. He brought up that SGU was a military drama and not sci-fi. I made a perfectly valid response based on the questions posed.

Maybe your complaint should have been against people who claim that SGU isn't sci-fi, because if people wouldn't make this wildly innacurate claim, there would be no further debate.

Deevil
November 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
How is Universe any more military then SG-1 was?

Seriously, SG-1 was very Military heavy. SGA was to a lessor extent, and Universe has - in the grand scheme of things - a smaller Military presence.

Betelgeuze
November 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM

It isn't.

Seriously, SG-1 was very Military heavy. SGA was to a lessor extent, and Universe has - in the grand scheme of things - a smaller Military presence.

It has a smaller military presence, but they focus a lot on the military characters. One would expect taht becasue they are on an Ancient space ship that is practically falling apart they would focus more on the scientists and engineers. And i don't mean just Rush. I think that in this situeation the scientists and engineers are more important than the military personell. The only thing they can help with is retrieving resources from planets, and didviding rations, although Wray could divide the rations as well.

Another big difference is the incompetence of the military and especially Young when dealing with anything relating to the Destiny. In SG-1 and SGA the scientists were respected and listened to. Young orders his people to turn on all sorts of things without consulting Rush. They had power problems and at the time they couldn't know that the Destiny could recharge itself.

So i would very much like it if they focus on the scientists and engineers, who are more crucial to staying alive and possibly returning home than the military is at this point.

Captain Obvious
November 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM
It isn't

i would very much like it if they focus on the scientists and engineers, who are more crucial to staying alive and possibly returning home than the military is at this point.

they have to set up the main characters! It happens. Your entire "Offworld Team" hasn't even been fleshed out yet. Give it time. Just don't expect any mind numbing McKay style technobabble. Not happening.

Flyboy
November 9th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Actually... I'd kinda say it is. Simply because the military are being fleshed out more and written less as action heroes and more realistically.

beafly
November 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Wow. I've been trying for weeks now to put my finger on why I can't get into the series thus far.

You hit the nail on the head.

Thank you!!!

KEK
November 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Actually... I'd kinda say it is. Simply because the military are being fleshed out more and written less as action heroes and more realistically.

I think that's more about the realism added than anything, you could say it's more scientific too, but it's just a natural consequence rather than an intentional theme I think.

JohnDuh
November 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
More like its a teen angst drama.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/4/128806547296897500.jpg
That is all.

Ukko
November 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Cant be bothered to post a funny picture.

*Facepalm*

ttsec
November 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM

:indeed:

Avenger
November 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Nail on the head right there.

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I was referring to this

"viewership crossover is taking a long time carrying over to the SGU forum."

I would say I could be seen as part of that crossover. While I did enjoy SG:1, I did not participate on the forum until SG:UNo, I meant the people who aren't fans of SGU but still stick around the SGU section out of... well I'm not sure why.

prion
November 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
No, I meant the people who aren't fans of SGU but still stick around the SGU section out of... well I'm not sure why.

You can watch the show and still not be a fan, but now a viewer instead. So, the fannish stuff of watching it over and over again is gone. But yes, people who despise a show, and simply come to any board to repeat over and over that it sucks, yes, that is trolling. HOwever, valid arguments on why they don't like a show are, well, valid.

Like some, I'm waiting for the science fiction aspect of the show to kick into play. Yes, we have the Destiny, but it's not terribly exciting (at least not to me) yet. Guess I got spoiled by Moya.

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
It's only offensive when it's not true.You're not the one being called that so you can't say that. True or not, it isn't constructive.

Like some, I'm waiting for the science fiction aspect of the show to kick into play. Yes, we have the Destiny, but it's not terribly exciting (at least not to me) yet. I agree that it becoming more exciting would be good. But I would argue that the science fiction aspect of the show is definitely in play already. Still, while it is entertaining to be, some additional excitement would not be misplaced.

Mitchell82
November 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
You're not the one being called that so you can't say that. True or not, it isn't constructive.
You're right I was out of line.