PDA

View Full Version : Oniell and the lemon

witter
November 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Say, did anyone else notice Oniell was playing around with a lemon? Was that an SGA throwback or am I just reading way too much into this? But seriously, of all the different types of fruits Oniell could be playing with why a lemon? It seems to me that the producers are trying to reach out to all those "Save Atlantis campaigners". I'm personally not one of those "save atlantis" people, but its nice to know the producers care about their core audience.

Count
November 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
It could possibly be a subtle hint that McKay had nothing to do with the plan to bring em back to Earth. I mean McKay stays away from lemons and all...

thekillman
November 8th, 2009, 02:16 AM
it shows sheppard talked to him...

The Destiny
November 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
It shows O'neill likes lemos ;)

It could be a little touch of the producers though. We only see that lemon on screen for a couple of seconds but they are spending hours with it in the scene during filming and preperation.

gottaluvit
November 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I think you're reaching.

I doubt the producers care what Atlantis fans feel, they don't seem to have so far. It could have even been a dig at the save Atlantis campaign in a more prickly way, after all part of the campaign involved sending plastic lemons to the producers etc. So maybe not so much reaching out as rubbing the juice in.

Chemp
November 8th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Maybe the situation was bitter like a lemon. :D

gottaluvit
November 8th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Maybe the situation was bitter like a lemon. :D

Or it's left a 'sour' taste in some peoples mouths.

TheLastSunset
November 8th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Are we completely sure it's not a clementine or other related fruit?

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Please don't say that O'Neill just likes balls!

:P

:sheppard:

yessika
November 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
please don't say that o'neill just likes balls!

:p

:sheppard:

lol!! :d

KEK
November 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I noticed this but forgot to mention it. My impression was that it was supposed to be a hint that McKay was involved, similar to how Mitchell carried one around when McKay helped with their plan in The Pegasus Project.

Captain Obvious
November 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I doubt the producers care what Atlantis fans feel, they don't seem to have so far. It could have even been a dig at the save Atlantis campaign in a more prickly way, after all part of the campaign involved sending plastic lemons to the producers etc. So maybe not so much reaching out as rubbing the juice in.

Well, it seems like a pretty obvious dig. Your comments are falling into the classic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman false logic.

I would think the easiest explanation for him having a lemon is that McKay was in his office ranting 15 minutes before about what he needs to get Atlantis working. I think O'Neill likes McKay about as much as many of us do....fine in small doses, but best chased away with lemons after you get the information you need from him.

Eternal Density
November 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
It was foreshadowing that the rescue plan would be a lemon!
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

Replicator Todd
November 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I would think the easiest explanation for him having a lemon is that McKay was in his office ranting 15 minutes before about what he needs to get Atlantis working. I think O'Neill likes McKay about as much as many of us do....fine in small doses, but best chased away with lemons after you get the information you need from him.
I could really believe that, Mckay could of been in the scene if Young wasn't late for the meeting! :P

Lord Hurin
November 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I could really believe that, Mckay could of been in the scene if Young wasn't late for the meeting! :P

Maybe Young was tipped off by someone and arrived late for that exact reason ;) I'm sure Jack would understand!

KEK
November 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1003-ThePegasusProject/screencaps/normal_sg1_1003_0212.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/107-Earth/screencaps/normal_sgu_107_0051.jpg

Hmmm...

Mitchell82
November 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1003-ThePegasusProject/screencaps/normal_sg1_1003_0212.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/107-Earth/screencaps/normal_sgu_107_0051.jpg

Hmmm...

IDK I think people are reading way too much into that.

KEK
November 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
You think it's a coincidence he's holding a lemon? It's possible I suppose, but seems unlikely to me, I mean even if there's a fruit basket nearby, who the hell puts lemons in them?

Optimus Chekov
November 10th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I never noticed! But how could he be in a military briefing holding a piece of fruit? A piece fo fruit that is pretty bad on its own. Not like an apple or a banana. Onscreen and offscreen I think you're both right. It's a Save Atlantis joke and a McKay deterrent.

And it's not too prickly. Or he'd have a pineapple in the other hand!

Mongoletsi
November 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I think you're reaching.

First you say they're not paying attention, but then implying they did it as a "screw you"?

They do care what Atlantis fans feel, but for a whole load of (discussed to death) reasons, Atlantis was axed, partly because of SGU.

Sparky13
November 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM
We know from years of SG-1 DVD commentaries that RDA is a fidgeter. He messes with things all the time, likes to give his hands something to do. I think he found the lemon lying around somewhere and decided to hang onto it during the tedium of filming. Maybe he located a couple more and juggled for a while.

At any rate, I don't believe he was 'sending a message,' unless it's something like 'I enjoy tactile stimulation.'

KEK
November 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
A lemon seems a very strange thing to just find 'lying around', and a massive coincidence given the significance.

The Prophet
November 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Unless he's having fish later, or decided to make a nice meringue, it does seem weird that he has a lemon. It's not like they're found in fruit bowls for a snack...

Maybe he just likes sucking lemons.

Replicator Todd
November 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
First you say they're not paying attention, but then implying they did it as a "screw you"?

They do care what Atlantis fans feel, but for a whole load of (discussed to death) reasons, Atlantis was axed, partly because of SGU.
Indeed they do, I blame MGM ad SyFy, and maybe a little bit of Brad Wright who had obviously grown tired of the series.

AVFan
November 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
We know from years of SG-1 DVD commentaries that RDA is a fidgeter. He messes with things all the time, likes to give his hands something to do. I think he found the lemon lying around somewhere and decided to hang onto it during the tedium of filming. Maybe he located a couple more and juggled for a while.

At any rate, I don't believe he was 'sending a message,' unless it's something like 'I enjoy tactile stimulation.'

Well even then, who has lemons laying around? A lemon isn't something you have unless you're cooking or something. It's not like an apple where you may just keep one around to snack on or what have you. A lemon would have had to have been brought onto the set for some sort of purposeful reason.

Maybe it's just a crew inside joke. I just hope it doesn't mean "Screw you, Atlantis fans".

VSS
November 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
A lemon seems a very strange thing to just find 'lying around', and a massive coincidence given the significance.

I completely agree.
They used to have pineapples lying around in SG-1, and they had a meaning. But I think if RDA thought it was meant in disrespect to any fans, he wouldn't do it. I'm inclined to agree that it's McKay repellant.

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The studio still wants to make the Atlantis movie, so I doubt they'd be sending a negative message to the people they want to buy the DVDs. It's more likely a "Yes we still remember Atlantis exists" type message than a negative one.

Flyboy
November 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Are we sure that it wasn't some sort of a tangerine?

KEK
November 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I think it might be an apple actually, doesn't have the shape of a lemon :o

missmobius
November 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I think it might be an apple actually, doesn't have the shape of a lemon :o

I think you're right (see pics below)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3347/fruits.jpg

jelgate
November 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
But still Jack was eating on the job. I guess their is the canon reason O'Neill has gotten a little overweight:P

VSS
November 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Okay, well what's the deep and hidden meaning behind an apple? :P
This thread is too fun to let die. Surely we can come up with another fruit conspiracy.

jelgate
November 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Okay, well what's the deep and hidden meaning behind an apple? :P
This thread is too fun to let die. Surely we can come up with another fruit conspiracy.

Maybe is finally ready to comprehend the wormhole metaphor from A Matter of Time

aretood2
November 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
:sam:
Maybe is finally ready to comprehend the wormhole metaphor from A Matter of Time
could it mean that Carter helped then?

VSS
November 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM

:sam:
could it mean that Carter helped then?

That's good. I like that! Then the only people who might be offended by the apple are those who insist it's an Einstein-Rosen bridge and I'm sure they drifted away from fandom long ago.

gottaluvit
November 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I was implying nothing. Someone put forth a theory on why the lemon was there and I included another possibility. It could have been anything from a 'screw you' to O'neill liking a squeeze of lemon in his tea.

Besides not paying much attention and not giving a rats ass about things are two different issues. They can know what some Atlantis fans are saying and not pay much attention to it other then to treat it as a joke. I beleive they feel its only a minority of SGA fans fronting the Save Atlantis campaign anyway so maybe a joke at their expense wouldn't cause much flack.

I'd seriously doubt they'd do so in such an obvious way though..

jjay
November 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM

I disagree -- walk into any office in America, military or otherwise, and, yes, you are unlikely to find a piece of fruit. But if you do, about 75% of the time, it is going to be a lemon. Those pernicious tea-drinkers and all... Office-workers like our caffeine.

If there is unconscious significance, I am betting McKay has nothing to do with it. I am with the vibe that Jack is *taking care of a lemon* == running the group that is concerned with Destiny.

jwgrlrrajn
November 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
It's an apple, plain and simple.

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
In my office (in Australia) I have an orange on my desk beside my keyboard at this moment. But I've never had a lemon.

jelgate
November 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
In my office (in Australia) I have an orange on my desk beside my keyboard at this moment. But I've never had a lemon.

I keep grapes.

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I keep grapes.Don't you mean grapeshot?

gottaluvit
November 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I keep grapes.

As long as they're not sour ones. lol

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
The Grapes of Math!

aretood2
November 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
The Grapes of Math!

don't you mean wrath?

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
don't you mean wrath?No, those are sour.

Mitchell82
November 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
No, those are sour.

No more like bitter.;)

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM
No more like bitter.;)The Grapes of Math are bitter.
In base 2!

Lightning Ducj
November 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The Grapes of Math are bitter.
In base 2!

BoooO!!!!! :)

tNsRAoL
November 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Lemons the new pineapples? :P

Flyboy
November 12th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Look, it's panfully obvious.

It's once again evidence of the gay agenda. O'Neill is blatantly insinuating that Young is the 'apple of his eye'. It's slash, pure and simple and being rammed down our throats (no pun intended ;)) in such an obvious way. I declare outrage!

:P

Eternal Density
November 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
(no pun intended ;))I really wish you hadn't said that. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.:mckay:

Flyboy
November 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I really wish you hadn't said that. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.:mckay:
:P I was feeling mischeivous.