Energy usage - Hyperdrive vs Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy usage - Hyperdrive vs Weapons

It seems to me that firing weapons to bleed off energy souldn't work.

With the amount of power being used to keep the hyprdrive going all the time it seems like firing weapons would only use a small amount of power in comparison.

They'd better not get into a fight if those weapons deplete destiny's energy that quickly. I think the writers didn't have another way to deplete the energy so they went with the weapons.

Comment

They shouldn't have glossed over that part of the story. We're left with the impression that draining most of the ship's power was as easy as pushing a button. If the ship's power is depleted that easily, I can't figure out how there was any power left when they arrived on board.

Comment

i think those weapons were damaged and as such used more power than there supposed to. maybe damaged conduits that leak energy

Comment

the ship has no hyperdrive. FTL is REALLY efficient. or just slow. anyway, the easiest way to drain lots of power is to turn on the most powerful system and keep it on.

in this case, the weapons. besides, did you see how MANY they fired? and did you notice the time jump? one second, the weapons fire. the next, ALL weapons fire. a few seconds later, Destiny jumps out of FTL and seconds later, they are in a star.

the weapons could have fired for hours

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            the ship has no hyperdrive. FTL is REALLY efficient. or just slow. anyway, the easiest way to drain lots of power is to turn on the most powerful system and keep it on.

in this case, the weapons. besides, did you see how MANY they fired? and did you notice the time jump? one second, the weapons fire. the next, ALL weapons fire. a few seconds later, Destiny jumps out of FTL and seconds later, they are in a star.

the weapons could have fired for hours
            I 100% agree with you here. I thought that it was made quite clear & self-evident that the Destiny's weapons systems were used at full capacity/maximum output in order to drain the ship's power reserves as quickly as possible in order to attempt the IOA/Homeworld Security's plan to use the power of the star to try & dial the 9th chevron address back to Earth .

I am hoping that the weapons system will be able to fire for hours, as I have a feeling we are going to need them later on in the series. . .

Comment

Originally posted by adros47 View Post
              It seems to me that firing weapons to bleed off energy souldn't work.

With the amount of power being used to keep the hyprdrive going all the time it seems like firing weapons would only use a small amount of power in comparison.
              You have to remember these are Ancient weapons. They could've been firing off ridiculous nuke-strength or worse shots and we'd have been none the wiser simply because we never saw it hit anything! Though I'm not sure why the Ancients would equip an exploration vessel with crazy WMD, but hey! Who knows?

Comment

better to have something you do not need than to miss something you need.

also, compared to waiting months on normal power usage, firing the weapons would drain the power MUCH faster.

goauld weapons are said to be 200 MT. (which never shows on screen, but hey, dialogue)

if that's the case, you'd probably need the earth's powersupplies to power even one weapon

Comment

That was only 40% of the weapons as well I believe? A brand new Destiny class with full power would be an uber ship!
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

We dont know HOW long it took to bleed the weapons, but it didnt seem very long. But remember in Seige 3 when the wraith weapons were going to deplete the zpm in days...? A high enough yeild weapon can put out an insane amount of power. And they were firing ALL of them.

Maybe weapons were at maxium? XD

Comment

Unless the payloads for those weapons is so high, the batteries would deplete main power very quickly.

This causes me distress as well since, if shooting for a bit will cause Destiny to crap over, I'd hate to be in a fire fight for any duration of time!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

We actually don't know how long those weapons was active.

We saw the Rush watching the start

Some time later*

We saw rush monitoring power

*It may took them like 12 hours to do that, we don't know that.
                        The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
                          They'd better not get into a fight if those weapons deplete destiny's energy that quickly. I think the writers didn't have another way to deplete the energy so they went with the weapons.
                          indeed, but we must remember that Destiny is currently only using 45% of its energy requirements. im thinking they will fix that soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post
                            We actually don't know how long those weapons was active.

We saw the Rush watching the start

Some time later*

We saw rush monitoring power

*It may took them like 12 hours to do that, we don't know that.
                            True they did gloss over how long they were firing for. Maybe they were going at it for a day or so. Unless tey can answer that later on all we can do is speculate.

Comment

Perhaps the energy weapons are just extremly powerful and the multiple weapon canons are a redundancy feature meant to attack multiple targets not a necessity for attacking single targets?

An extremely powerful earth based laser will use an incredible amount of power and since these things seem to "encapsulate" that energy in some form of firable energy field-thing-a-ma-jigger you could assume it has multiple settings too.

I don't think this is as big a plot hole as say... gathering energy from a star... you really need to explain to me how hydrogen + helium = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship OR how solar energy collector x mass of ship = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship before needing to explain why energy based weapons use a lot of energy.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X