PDA

View Full Version : Energy usage - Hyperdrive vs Weapons

adros47
November 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
It seems to me that firing weapons to bleed off energy souldn't work.

With the amount of power being used to keep the hyprdrive going all the time it seems like firing weapons would only use a small amount of power in comparison.

Nemises
November 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
They'd better not get into a fight if those weapons deplete destiny's energy that quickly. I think the writers didn't have another way to deplete the energy so they went with the weapons.

Bookwyrm
November 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM
They shouldn't have glossed over that part of the story. We're left with the impression that draining most of the ship's power was as easy as pushing a button. If the ship's power is depleted that easily, I can't figure out how there was any power left when they arrived on board.

escyos
November 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
i think those weapons were damaged and as such used more power than there supposed to. maybe damaged conduits that leak energy

thekillman
November 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
the ship has no hyperdrive. FTL is REALLY efficient. or just slow. anyway, the easiest way to drain lots of power is to turn on the most powerful system and keep it on.

in this case, the weapons. besides, did you see how MANY they fired? and did you notice the time jump? one second, the weapons fire. the next, ALL weapons fire. a few seconds later, Destiny jumps out of FTL and seconds later, they are in a star.

the weapons could have fired for hours

akren
November 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
the ship has no hyperdrive. FTL is REALLY efficient. or just slow. anyway, the easiest way to drain lots of power is to turn on the most powerful system and keep it on.

in this case, the weapons. besides, did you see how MANY they fired? and did you notice the time jump? one second, the weapons fire. the next, ALL weapons fire. a few seconds later, Destiny jumps out of FTL and seconds later, they are in a star.

I 100% agree with you here. I thought that it was made quite clear & self-evident that the Destiny's weapons systems were used at full capacity/maximum output in order to drain the ship's power reserves as quickly as possible in order to attempt the IOA/Homeworld Security's plan to use the power of the star to try & dial the 9th chevron address back to Earth .

I am hoping that the weapons system will be able to fire for hours, as I have a feeling we are going to need them later on in the series. . .

mike3
November 8th, 2009, 12:55 AM
It seems to me that firing weapons to bleed off energy souldn't work.

With the amount of power being used to keep the hyprdrive going all the time it seems like firing weapons would only use a small amount of power in comparison.

You have to remember these are Ancient weapons. They could've been firing off ridiculous nuke-strength or worse shots and we'd have been none the wiser simply because we never saw it hit anything! Though I'm not sure why the Ancients would equip an exploration vessel with crazy WMD, but hey! Who knows?

thekillman
November 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
better to have something you do not need than to miss something you need.

also, compared to waiting months on normal power usage, firing the weapons would drain the power MUCH faster.

goauld weapons are said to be 200 MT. (which never shows on screen, but hey, dialogue)

if that's the case, you'd probably need the earth's powersupplies to power even one weapon

Buba uognarf
November 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
That was only 40% of the weapons as well I believe? A brand new Destiny class with full power would be an uber ship!

kymeric
November 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
We dont know HOW long it took to bleed the weapons, but it didnt seem very long. But remember in Seige 3 when the wraith weapons were going to deplete the zpm in days...? A high enough yeild weapon can put out an insane amount of power. And they were firing ALL of them.

Maybe weapons were at maxium? XD

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Unless the payloads for those weapons is so high, the batteries would deplete main power very quickly.

This causes me distress as well since, if shooting for a bit will cause Destiny to crap over, I'd hate to be in a fire fight for any duration of time!

:sheppard:

Arwis
November 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM
We actually don't know how long those weapons was active.

We saw the Rush watching the start

Some time later*

We saw rush monitoring power

*It may took them like 12 hours to do that, we don't know that.

segaxgames
November 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
They'd better not get into a fight if those weapons deplete destiny's energy that quickly. I think the writers didn't have another way to deplete the energy so they went with the weapons.

indeed, but we must remember that Destiny is currently only using 45% of its energy requirements. im thinking they will fix that soon.

garhkal
November 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
We actually don't know how long those weapons was active.

We saw the Rush watching the start

Some time later*

We saw rush monitoring power

*It may took them like 12 hours to do that, we don't know that.

True they did gloss over how long they were firing for. Maybe they were going at it for a day or so. Unless tey can answer that later on all we can do is speculate.

timmciglobal
November 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Perhaps the energy weapons are just extremly powerful and the multiple weapon canons are a redundancy feature meant to attack multiple targets not a necessity for attacking single targets?

An extremely powerful earth based laser will use an incredible amount of power and since these things seem to "encapsulate" that energy in some form of firable energy field-thing-a-ma-jigger you could assume it has multiple settings too.

I don't think this is as big a plot hole as say... gathering energy from a star... you really need to explain to me how hydrogen + helium = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship OR how solar energy collector x mass of ship = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship before needing to explain why energy based weapons use a lot of energy.

Tim

thekillman
November 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
hydrogen + helium is the most powerfull form of fusion.

if the ancients (and they are really advanced) can fuse those two without needing several million degrees, then the power from that is insane

wkw427
November 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
They were the Ancients. The Gate Builders. The F***-upers. The Overseers. The "Oops, there-goes-the-universe"ers.

It is highly possible that Destiny is more advanced then Atlantis. .They are millions of years apart. Who is to say that over millions of years they didn't have knowledge spikes and whatnot.. Because we have already..

There was the time of Egypt when the pyramids were build, democracy in GReece, then the dark ages where jack squat happened. Now we have nukes..

thekillman
November 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
it uses STARS for power. seriously, if it was more advanced, it would've have two 100m long rows of ZPM's. and THAT is enough power to run for millions of years, do battle and explore.

even enough to dial earth without drawing energy too much

Quadhelix
November 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think this is as big a plot hole as say... gathering energy from a star... you really need to explain to me how hydrogen + helium = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship OR how solar energy collector x mass of ship = ultrapowerered intergalatic starship before needing to explain why energy based weapons use a lot of energy.
Even the darkest of red dwarfs emit over 10^22 joules every second. However, IIRC, that energy takes decades, if not millennia to reach the surface, so even the coolest of stars contain unimaginable amounts of energy. If the ship were able to tap that remotely somehow (transferring energy from the star to the ship via EM fields or something), then it could easily tap many, many millions of kilojoules of energy.

As for storing that energy, well I'll just say this: several decades ago, you would need a forklift to carry a 1 Farad capacitor. Now, a 1 Farad capacitor would fit in a soup spoon.

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe the ship already needed power so the weapons were used to finish off the power.

Sim
November 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe the weapons were at...... Maximum....:cameron:

HoloRob
November 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
They were energy weapons after all. From trek, a phaser could stun, or could disintegrate walls. I don't think it's such a leap of logic to assume that these weapons have variable yields. I think it's highly possible the Ancients could have designed the weapons with ridiculous yields, just in case. It's better to be able to fire all your available power as one almighty burst, if you need to, than not to have that capability. For all we know the humans could have done that, if the power conduits weren't degraded. For the most part you could fire small bursts which could be launched fast and take out fighters. Then with the same turrets fire higher powered bursts to take out the larger ship types, or even larger shots to take out planets if they need to. From what I understood of the episode, they were firing the highest yield shots that they could without destroying the ship, which was one reason why it was so dangerous.

I was more surprised that they would need to refuel every few months. Even with a full tank of gas, if the ancients were on board I doubt the power would last much longer. That must make going through the void(s) between galaxies pretty difficult. Where will it get it's star fuel if there are no stars?

Mongoletsi
November 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly.