PDA

View Full Version : Who was that Musician at the bar?

Jamie9230
November 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Who was that singer at the bar? She had a real awesome hairdo. Loved the episode!

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I wondered the same thing.

Anybody know?

Replicator Todd
November 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Janelle Monae

Jamie9230
November 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Thank you so much! :)

escyos
November 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
she weirded me out a little

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Her name was on various banners around the stage, and Chloe said it too. (though I knew from the pre-airing thread)
There's several of her performances on youtube. Check out www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyyORSHbaE
Prepare to be weirded more if you were by the episode :P

I wonder if she's human in the stargate-verse...

Radahldo
November 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm happy she got this exposure (although everyone seemed to have missed the banners, her name being said) since there are some current complications with her record label and etc.

Vapor
November 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM

She's unique. I liked her performance in the episode. Really was not expecting them to feature a music artist on the show, but I'm glad they got someone who wasn't just your average performer with nothing distinct about them.

Nitegate
November 8th, 2009, 03:51 AM
her music was horrid and her hairdo was almost as bad :jack_new_anime25:

they could have gotten a better band

DigiFluid
November 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Yeah I'm kind of wondering whose kid it was, that conned their mum or dad into giving them some free exposure.

Awful, just awful.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 8th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I kept thinking about that Bond villain May Day from A Veiw to a Kill when I saw her.
She was pretty good though. A bit umm...weird, but good. *shrugs*

neoprometheus
November 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Her name was on various banners around the stage, and Chloe said it too. (though I knew from the pre-airing thread)
There's several of her performances on youtube. Check out www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyyORSHbaE

First thought that came into my mind: "Does my teenager listen to this stuff?"

I did check later. She claims ignorance. Thank God.

s09119
November 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
First thought that came into my mind: "Does my teenager listen to this stuff?"

I did check later. She claims ignorance. Thank God.

Um... I happen to like Janelle Monae...?

Nightfighter89
November 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
It was..... interesting.

I can tell you you wouldn't catch me dead is such a club though. Give me a good 'ol bar with country, rock, or polka any day.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Um... I happen to like Janelle Monae...?

So do I.

Coronach
November 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
So do I.

Me too :) "Many Moons" (the first song she performed) is actually a very cool song, with very good lyrics as well :)

wargrafix
November 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
lets hope they never have her again. She is rubbish.

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Good to know all the new music isn't (c)rap and hip hop.

I don't see why some people don't like her.

Maybe they listen to mainstream BS.

She has sicks moves btw.

Coronach
November 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM

She has sicks moves btw.

Haha, yeah she does. One of the most recent comments on her YouTube video of "Many Moons" had this to say:

She does the Moonwalk, Chuck berry kick, James Brown slide,? a lot of her dance seems inspired by old motown idols.

She's awesome :)

Also, I want to (once again) encourage people to listen to that song and check out the lyrics. They're actually quite intelligent, and I like when artists do that :P

DigiFluid
November 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM

She has sicks moves btw.

Or maybe we just think her music sucks. You know, opinions and all that pesky nonsense.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Me too :) "Many Moons" (the first song she performed) is actually a very cool song, with very good lyrics as well :)

:indeed: I think I need to download it from Itunes or something.....

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Ive ever heard of her before that episode, she did look familiar though. She seems very talented, I think I might check out more of her stuff.

Terra Atlantus
November 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Not my kind of music but it fits in nicely to the club scene of the episode.

And yes, I believe they choose a "unknown" artist, it has to be cheaper.

leanbarton
November 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
She reminds of the different style of Andre 3000. Not really my cup of tea, but after the episode I don't mind her Many Moons song.

Ripple in Space
November 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I never heard of her before I read this thread, but apparently she's been nominated for a Grammy, so I wouldn't consider her an "unknown." It's probably not the type of music that would make it into my iTunes Library, but I can see the talent there. I didn't love her SGU performance, but honestly, the only thing I liked about that episode was Gen. O'Neill.

Back to her, I'm not a fan of the hair. It's kind of a shame, because she's kind of a hotty with a normal hairstyle.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/suigeneris1983/JanelleMonae3.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4619/81546472.png

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I never heard of her before I read this thread, but apparently she's been nominated for a Grammy, so I wouldn't consider her an "unknown." It's probably not the type of music that would make it into my iTunes Library, but I can see the talent there. I didn't love her SGU performance, but honestly, the only thing I liked about that episode was Gen. O'Neill.

Back to her, I'm not a fan of the hair. It's kind of a shame, because she's kind of a hotty with a normal hairstyle.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/suigeneris1983/JanelleMonae3.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4619/81546472.png

If you listen to her song many moons you will know why he hair looks like that.

Ripple in Space
November 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
If you listen to her song many moons you will know why he hair looks like that.

Yeah, just telling us would have been too easy :rolleyes:

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.jmonae.com/bio.php
[edit]

StarGate Universe is on now. Janelle MonŠe portal traveled from Metropolis to entertain. The revolution is televised on the SyFy channel.http://twitter.com/JanelleMonae/status/5496094970

portal traveled... LOL!

Orion Antreas
November 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Funny, I thought she was great. I'm a big fan of someone being unique and thinking out of the box. She definitely does that. :P

Not my kind of music but it fits in nicely to the club scene of the episode.

And yes, I believe they choose a "unknown" artist, it has to be cheaper.

Considering she was nominated for a Grammy, I don't really think she is 'unknown'.

the fifth man
November 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Not really my favorite part of the episode.

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Not really my favorite part of the episode.

No direct objections with what it was, either the music or anything, else but I admit I did think it stretched a little long.

Ripple in Space
November 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
No direct objections with what it was, either the music or anything, else but I admit I did think it stretched a little long.

Don't know how many Buffy/Angel fans are on here, but bringing in real life musical acts was a device used in the earlier years. I see a good few similarities between Universe and those shows, coupled with the fact that the Stargate producers say their Whedon fans, I think they're trying out his genre. Too bad they lack his talent...

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Don't know how many Buffy/Angel fans are on here, but bringing in real life musical acts was a device used in the earlier years. I see a good few similarities between Universe and those shows, coupled with the fact that the Stargate producers say their Whedon fans, I think they're trying out his genre. Too bad they lack his talent...

Nobody is talented as much as Whedon is except Whedon silly :P.

nx01a
November 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I really didn't care who it was [although she's quite talented]. A bunch of young people at a live performance in the midst of a 'sci-fi' TV show... God. It was like watching 'Smallville'. Or 'Gossip Girl'.
The music in 'Unending' and 'Air' worked perfectly. This? No

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Actually she's a human-form Replicator masquerading as a musician. Because no one would ever suspect her!
*ducks thrown rocks*
*throws rocked ducks*
*rocks ducked thrones*

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
!
*ducks thrown rocks*
*throws rocked ducks*
*rocks ducked thrones*

Would it help to know my user name was an accidental typo of "Lightning Duck"?

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Would it help to know my user name was an accidental typo of "Lightning Duck"?No, that's completely irrelevant to my irrelevance.
And I just noticed that I've got "Violet Stars Happy Hunting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGn7BubZlm8)" stuck in my head.

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
No, that's completely irrelevant to my irrelevance.

Do two irrelevants cancel out and gain relevance?

And I just noticed that I've got "Violet Stars Happy Hunting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGn7BubZlm8)" stuck in my head.

Thanks, now I do, too :)

jpark143
November 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I personally think Janelle's part in 'Earth' was outstanding. It would be likely to say that those people who didnt like her music or character within this episode would most probably be the older generation of fans. Also do remember that the aims of Stargate Universe is to appeal to a wider viewing audience. Janelle's talents worked with this episode, you cant have a club for younger people playing country folk songs.

wargrafix
November 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Err, no. She just sounded, really, really, bad.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 9th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Well, that's your opinion.

DigiFluid
November 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I personally think Janelle's part in 'Earth' was outstanding. It would be likely to say that those people who didnt like her music or character within this episode would most probably be the older generation of fans.
I'm 24.

AVFan
November 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm 24.

18 myself.

I agree. And on a side note, I have no idea what she was trying to do with her hair. That looked horrible too. But I care much less about that than I do the music. Just horrible, horrible. All IMO of course.

Replicator Todd
November 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I thought she was pretty....but I can be an oddball....

Egle01
November 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I thought she was pretty....but I can be an oddball....Then so am I. Really liked the music, the dance moves and hair style. :) I've never heard of her before, and I'm looking up her music at YouTube atm.

Darynlxm
November 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I too am in the "liked her" category.
I admit on frist viewing I was like "huh? that was odd", but the second time around I got into it, been listening to her music since.

I think she has some real talent and awesome moves.

Then again, Ive never been the person who likes top 20 anything. I think 90% of the music played on the radio mashes into 1 really boring sound that I tend to tune out. Her music I actively listen to and enjoy, but thats just me. :)

Schizobadger
November 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Her hair was some serious 80's style nuttery in my opinion. As for the music, I give you a heavy "meh".:cool:

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Her hair was some serious 80's style nuttery in my opinion.Well it's all the rage in 'Metropolis'. :P

koroush47
November 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Well it's all the rage in 'Metropolis'. :P

I can't understand what that lady maxxa is saying at the start of the video.

:\

DigiFluid
November 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I just finished watching "Earth" again.... I went in hoping that maybe it was a bad first impression, that maybe I'd come around and enjoy it more this time.

Not the case. Made me cringe even more the second time than it did the first.

leiasky
November 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I really didn't care who it was [although she's quite talented]. A bunch of young people at a live performance in the midst of a 'sci-fi' TV show... God. It was like watching 'Smallville'. Or 'Gossip Girl'.

Agreed. Completely.

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
It would be a pity if a complete performance of Many Moons didn't make it into the DVD special features.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
It would be a pity if a complete performance of Many Moons didn't make it into the DVD special features.

Indeed. Let's start a petition! :cameronanime10:

Inquisitor
November 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Uhoh, the foothold aliens might have succeeded (1:10)

I like it when they introduce people in reality into the show. They've done it before in the Hailey episode in SG1 (Prodigy). It adds realism to the show, which is always a ++.

Sgt Detritus
November 11th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Never heard of her before this episode and with any luck I'll never hear of her ever again :mckay:

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Uhoh, the foothold aliens might have succeeded (1:10)

I like it when they introduce people in reality into the show. They've done it before in the Hailey episode in SG1 (Prodigy). It adds realism to the show, which is always a ++.I see what you meant but I never thought of the foothold aliens until you mentioned it. My guess is some sort of android control interface and/or status indicator.

Speaking of real people in the show... Brainstorm!

EvilSpaceAlien: I don't put much stock in petitions but don't let me stop you.

ronin36
November 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I can't believe this much discussion is over a music act that had a total of about 15 seconds exclusive screen time.

When camera wasn't on her, the music was back-ground music, I didn't pay any attention to the music, or the singer. I was paying attention to other things...

Like the actors, and their dialog... I guess I'm kinda funny that way..

DigiFluid
November 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
It's a week between episodes, that's a lot of time to discuss and dissect all aspects of the episode ;)

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I was paying attention to other things...

Like the actors, and their dialog... I guess I'm kinda funny that way..That's why I replayed that part a few times.

Shpinxinator
November 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
She made some funny faces

Saquist
November 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM

I love her you should see her videos.

A TRUE TRIPLE THREAT
cute talented and sexy.

The Prophet
November 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Can't complain. It wasn't an essential feature to the episode, and it's nice that they decided to put a real musician in there, to make it seem more real. Instead of some random band playing covers of something.

And really, it's not like we watch Stargate for its musical performances, is it?

wargrafix
November 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Can't complain. It wasn't an essential feature to the episode, and it's nice that they decided to put a real musician in there, to make it seem more real. Instead of some random band playing covers of something.

And really, it's not like we watch Stargate for its musical performances, is it?

It detracted form the episode and really didn't fit in. Hopefully they get someone better.

The Prophet
November 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It detracted form the episode and really didn't fit in. Hopefully they get someone better.

You must have a very short focus, she had about 15 seconds screentime. And didn't fit in? They were at a nightclub, it's like the breeding ground for quirky musical styles.

And, she won a Grammy Award, so there must be a significant amount of people that like her. I doubt TPTB are going to pander directly to your tastes.

hedwig
November 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM

You mean she did two songs? I read that she was supposed to do two during her appearance in the episode. But I had the impression there was just one song. :confused:

Egle01
November 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The second song must've been performed after the stones' glitch thing happened, and before Chloe and Eli left the club. Couldn't tell exactly, but didn't sound like "Many Moons".

koroush47
November 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I love her you should see her videos.

A TRUE TRIPLE THREAT
cute talented and sexy.

The official video both sounds better and looks better.

I mean the official one on youtube.

Even though she is a great musician... the song just didn't workout so well in universe.

After I re watched it I was like "wow this sucks" Then i switched to the music video and said "much better"

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
No idea....But she scared me :eek:

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
No idea....But she scared me :eek:

You need fear no longer. Ukko is here:p

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You need fear no longer. Ukko is here:p

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

You dont have to run to me:p

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
You dont have to run to me:p

Do you have an identical twin or something :eek: :p

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Do you have an identical twin or something :eek: :p

Nope. But if you realy want 2 of me, i can use the cantina cloneing machine:p

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Nope. But if you realy want 2 of me, i can use the cantina cloneing machine:p

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

Looks like i have noone to share all this chocolate with. *Sigh*

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Looks like i have noone to share all this chocolate with. *Sigh*

*screeches to a halt* Chocolate? *runs towards Ukko*

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, how long did it take us to derail the thread? ;)

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
*screeches to a halt* Chocolate? *runs towards Ukko*

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, how long did it take us to derail the thread? ;)

Shares Choccie with Linda:D

Not long enough:p

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Shares Choccie with Linda:D

Not long enough:p

Awesome. Thanks :D *stuffs chocolate in mouth*

I know :eek: We need to practice ;)

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks :D *stuffs chocolate in mouth*

I know :eek: We need to practice ;)

It may be that all this chocolate is slowing us down:eek:

Linda06
November 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
It may be that all this chocolate is slowing us down:eek:

*stops eating* http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/action/sc_774.gif

naaaaaaaa *continues eating*

Ukko
November 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
*stops eating* http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/action/sc_774.gif

naaaaaaaa *continues eating*

Your right. *Continues eating:p:D

StarShadow
November 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The May Day character in James Bond was Grace Jones. That's who Janelle's voice and hairstyle reminded me of.

Eternal Density
November 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
The second song she did (we only saw a little of it) is Sincerely Jane.

Also if you haven't seen it yet, Janelle and David Blue have a little feature up on the mgm site:
http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/1528/index.html
The ending still cracks me up every time.

Ann_Ominous
November 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I liked her. Reminded me a lot of the early to mid 80's.