PDA

View Full Version : So Rush is the smartest person on the ship?

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
If you see the part were young asks eli to analyze the data when they were dialing the stargate.... Eli said that he didn't understand Alot of it.

So does that make rush the smartest person on the ship?

Just wondering.

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
yes second to eli

thekillman
November 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
doesn't mean Eli is stupid. Eli is Math Boy, not statician or analyst.

Rush isn't nessecarily the smartest. but he most likely knows the most. so much, it becomes creepy. and that's why i'm happy they saved no money on the character's actor

Cory Holmes
November 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Rush is more experienced than Eli. Remember, Eli solved the proof that Rush couldn't. When Eli gets his act together and applies himself to learn this math-stuff, he'll easily put Rush in his place.

Except when it comes to sneaky, two-faced, double-dealing, sheer backstabbery. Rush owns that :D

ARealArchaeologist
November 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I wonder if Eli is reluctant to come between Rush and Young. They both probably have designs on his development and he forsees having to choose one over the other someday?

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Rush is more experienced than Eli. Remember, Eli solved the proof that Rush couldn't. When Eli gets his act together and applies himself to learn this math-stuff, he'll easily put Rush in his place.

Except when it comes to sneaky, two-faced, double-dealing, sheer backstabbery. Rush owns that :D

Not everything is math...

Eli only knows math and that is it.

Look at SG1... Nothing they did included math. Only very few things like blowing the sun up and etc.

Cory Holmes
November 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I wonder if Eli is reluctant to come between Rush and Young. They both probably have designs on his development and he forsees having to choose one over the other someday?

No, that's much too intuitive for Eli to parse out logically. As has been shown, he is remarkably ill-developed emotionally for someone in his mid-20s.

He's having a blast on the ship and doesn't really get the fact that some people on there don't like other people on there.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
No, that's much too intuitive for Eli to parse out logically. As has been shown, he is remarkably ill-developed emotionally for someone in his mid-20s.

He's having a blast on the ship and doesn't really get the fact that some people on there don't like other people on there.

No, I get the impression he very much is being stuck between Young and Rush. I don't think he has the foresight yet to realize that it could come to a 'choice'. He's probably thinking, as I'm hoping, that it will just be an ongoing tension.

Spimman
November 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Look at SG1... Nothing they did included math. Only very few things like blowing the sun up and etc.

Lets not forget that he taught himself Ancient, and while not yet an expert that is very impressive.

IMO - If Eli had the same education and experience as Rush he would be smarter, but he'll slowly catch up in some ways.

Captain Obvious
November 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Lets not forget that he taught himself Ancient, and while not yet an expert that is very impressive.

lets not forget that rush invented the version of ancient that allowed eli to even basically grasp the language ( air part 1).

Replicator Todd
November 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Rush seems to be the smartest, and maybe the most clever.

Phenom
November 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
You can be as smart as a person can be.....but be a complete dumbarse out of the classroom.

Rush is obviously a very bright individual and knows how to put it to good use. Eli is still finding his feet but although he is very bright, it wouldn't be hard to outsmart him.

Inquisitor
November 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Not really... mathematics is the back bone of everything. SG-1 just chose not to emphasise it, because it would distract from the story. They're doing this in SGU too - they didn't go over the proof or the slingshot manoeuvre, they just said "hey look Eli completed it because he's math boy", very similar to SG-1 + Carter and SGA + McKay.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Rush seems very obviously the smartest guy trapped on the Destiny.

KEK
November 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Knowledge and intelligence are two different things. My impression is that Eli is more intelligent, though immature, but Rush is the one with the expertise, so when you need a problem solving, he's the one you turn to, for the moment...

ckwongau
November 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Eli is a math boy,but Einstein wasn't every good with math, in fact i Einstein's fail math in school.

Rush is like Einstein ,they both need some mathboy to work for them.
in the end the mathboy doesn't get the credit.

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Knowledge and intelligence are two different things. My impression is that Eli is more intelligent, though immature, but Rush is the one with the expertise, so when you need a problem solving, he's the one you turn to, for the moment...

Rush and Experiance?

It was his first real project...

Eli is a math boy,but Einstein wasn't every good with math, in fact i Einstein's fail math in school.

Rush is like Einstein ,they both need some mathboy to work for them.
in the end the mathboy doesn't get the credit.

I still think that Rush is and always will be smarter than Eli.

Eli will just do the calculations and comic relief. That is what I see him as.

Rush is like the Sam or Rodney McKay... but evil.

Because keep in mind that all the ideas rush comes up with.. Eli only does as he is told, he never has ideas.

Just like in his real life were he just played video games all day long.

(What is the point of having Rush if Eli is going to be smarter than him in everything.. not just math?)

KEK
November 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Rush and Experiance?

I said expertise not experience, he obviously knows more about Ancient technology than anyone else on the ship.

It was his first real project...

I'm not calling you a liar, but when was that established?

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I said expertise not experience, he obviously knows more about Ancient technology than anyone else on the ship.

I'm not calling you a liar, but when was that established?

In the Wiki if you go read it says that his life started as him being poor and then he married his wife.

After his wife died he dedicated his life to science and was then stationed at Icarus base. (This is were I thought it was his first project, nothing is said about anything else.) And then after Icarus they end up on destiny.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Nicholas_Rush

So as far as we know Icarus is his first project.

Oh and

Expertise: Expert advice or opinion.
Expert: having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from experience.

Yes you did :)

boxvic
November 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Well, "smartest" is sort of subjective.

It is like I said in a past thread, I am studying for an Associates in Applied Science in Engineering Technology; from what I know it wouldn't be super hard for me to use my basic knowledge of how electricity works to learn basic ancient electronics. No matter the technology, it all has to work on a basic on/off level. I could never learn to be an expert, nor to be a physicist or anything, but I could at least learn the basics.

Eli is much smarter than I could ever be when it comes to the math. I think Rush knows about as much as we can know about ancient systems. In the sense of the "smartest" it wouldn't surprise me if the cook that came through with them is capable of learning more about the systems than Rush is, but Rush is the one who knows the systems now.

So I think Rush is the one who knows the most, but I really doubt he is the smartest on the ship.

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2009, 12:06 AM
If you see the part were young asks eli to analyze the data when they were dialing the stargate.... Eli said that he didn't understand Alot of it.

So does that make rush the smartest person on the ship?

Just wondering.

Rush is definitely the smartest, and not just book smartest like McKay or Carter either. He knows how to manipulate people and he's calculating, pragmatic, and unswayed enough by emotion to use people like tools to accomplish a given task or to sacrifice them if necessary.

Not the sort of guy you want to be on the bad side of in that type of situation.

renboy
November 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Rush is extremely intelligent - and has the ability to see the bigger picture all the time (well, his version of the bigger picture anyway) - unlike Eli who needs to pretty much be told what to work on in order to accomplish something.
Moreover, Rush is knee deep in Stargate and Ancient lore - with far more knowledge in the field then anyone on the Destiny.

Eli has more ingenuity and is more resourceful - and has mad math skills - but unlike Rush, he is not self motivated at all.

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
In the Wiki if you go read it says that his life started as him being poor and then he married his wife.

After his wife died he dedicated his life to science and was then stationed at Icarus base. (This is were I thought it was his first project, nothing is said about anything else.) And then after Icarus they end up on destiny.

Rush says in Air Pt 1 to Eli that they've spent two years searching for somewhere with the power requirements and Young says they've been there for six months.

Spoilers for an upcoming episode:
Apparently, he was recruited two years prior to all this by Daniel Jackson.

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Let's just say, he's the one with the best working knowledge of everything on the ship.

Smarts go well beyond working knowledge tho!

:sheppard:

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM
So I think Rush is the one who knows the most, but I really doubt he is the smartest on the ship.

Whats the reason for that?

The only smart people are eli and rush.

Young is just a good leader... doesn't make him smart. (I mean Sam/McKay "smart")

The other people on board are just like a herd of sheep. Scott and Greer are just soldiers... Chloe is useless, and the science guys that help are like zelenka from Atlantis. They always mess things up.

KEK
November 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM

That wiki is largely made-up nonsense. It's not to be trusted.

Oh and

Expert: having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from experience.

Yes you did :)

If you want to split hairs I still said expertise, not experience, not matter what the implications are. Besides, he did have experience whether that article is to be trusted or not, he was head scientist on the Icarus Base, so he still obviously has more expertise than anyone else there, like I said.

aream2000
November 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
smart is a subjective term, when it comes to book smarts yes rush is smarter than eli, but rush doesn't have alot of street smarts and when it comes to social skills, well he doesn't really have any. so overall i think eli is smarter than rush

Azzers
November 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
No, PC's are FAR superior to Mac's.

Wait, what?

Hibblette
November 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think they are both equal.

So with that being said I think that Rush is someone who knows a lot about the ancient tech and the language. Also he has a bit of age to him which like it or not is a factor.

Now Eli has the math and he is very intelligent but he is young and there is so much potential.

Personally I think Young is not thinking clearly (of course I really think he's crazy) he honestly thinks that he can sway Eli.

Everytime the chips are down Eli will side with Rush. Even after he questioned him in the first ep-and Greer was threatening to blow him away Eli suddenly was like, wait...let's hear him out.

jjay
November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Yes you did :)[/QUOTE]

I really hate word-twiddling flame. And smileys don't cancel out flame.

English doesn't work that way: 'expertise' and 'experience' have totally different connotations. Get over yourself and let people use the language as it is used, not as pure logic would have it constructed.

If you really need an explanation: Great expertise often implies limited experience because one has 'experienced' the same narrow range of life over and over and missed out on everything else that was going on at the same time.

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I really hate word-twiddling flame. And smileys don't cancel out flame.

English doesn't work that way: 'expertise' and 'experience' have totally different connotations. Get over yourself and let people use the language as it is used, not as pure logic would have it constructed.

If you really need an explanation: Great expertise often implies limited experience because one has 'experienced' the same narrow range of life over and over and missed out on everything else that was going on at the same time.

Whoa. Relax.

You are calling me a flamer but you are doing it worse yourself.

Vladius
November 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
If it were the d20 roleplaying system, he has a higher WIS score, whereas Eli has a higher INT score. He's close, though.

Scott and Chloe seem to have forgotten that CHA is a dump stat.

Mythophile
November 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If it were the d20 roleplaying system, he has a higher WIS score, whereas Eli has a higher INT score. He's close, though.

Scott and Chloe seem to have forgotten that CHA is a dump stat.

Unless you want sex. :docianime15:

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM

In an RPG???

Soledat
November 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Loved the last line! And it's the main reason why I like Rush so much! You described him very well.

I think that he is the smartest, not only because he's experienced and knows about the ancient technology, but also because he can play them all :D

Vladius
November 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Now, now, let's play D&D and not FATAL.

creed462
November 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
right now Rush has the technical data
Eli, has the potential to surpass him. So far it's been Eli that has come up with anything helpful. In time he will be the goto person

ckwongau
November 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Smartest ,probably but definitely the happiness person onboard.
i think Rush is the only happy person onboard Destiny, he is the only one truely has the best intest of the Destiny .

Young 's priority is his crew ,but he always want to get himself and his crew home.He doesn't care about the ship esploring mission.

That is the problem , Col Young ,IOA and Telford doesn't trust Rush because he is too happy to stay onboard ,that they fear Rush will sabotage their attempt to return home, and becaue Earth probably will never let Rush return again.

rlr149
November 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
i think Rush is the only happy person onboard Destiny, he is the only one truely has the best intest of the Destiny .

Young 's priority is his crew ,but he always want to get himself and his crew home.He doesn't care about the ship esploring mission.

That is the problem , Col Young ,IOA and Telford doesn't trust Rush because he is too happy to stay onboard ,that they fear Rush will sabotage their attempt to return home, and becaue Earth probably will never let Rush return again.

theres no reason why rush would return, you gonna shoot him if he doesn't step into the gate?

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM

You really think so? I think he's a deeply unhappy man.

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
You really think so? I think he's a deeply unhappy man.

Agreed, he seems very pessimistic which is reflected in his words about just about any plan. I think it's somewhat related to the fact that its his fault they are there. I don't think he regrets the decision to open the gate with the 9th chevron but I do think he regrets the after-effect of stranding everybody on a ship so close to falling apart. I think his comments about everybody's life being valuable were sincere so he feels a lot of responsibility for what they are going through and also feels the weight of being the only one who can solve their problems.

Not happy

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
right now Rush has the technical data
Eli, has the potential to surpass him. So far it's been Eli that has come up with anything helpful. In time he will be the goto person

Eli acts too much like a little kid to make any decisions. He is like a calculator

Ask one question... receive answer, but never able to answer a question by itself. You can't just leave your calc on your math homework and expect it to finish it for you. That is what Eli is like.

Don't you remember that part were he kept on whining "Omg you guyz are lieing!!!!!1!1!!" And everybody told him to STFU?

He just can't make any good decisions, that is what rush is for. He is the most logical person on the ship. You don't just learn logic.

And the only things Eli has done so far are 1. Make that floating platform out of kinos and 2. calculate the slingshot around the planet for the shuttle.

But it was rush that drove telford off, was able to find a way to fix the air filer (He knew what to do, he knew the stuff they needed was on the planet also), he also told the ship they needed water.. so it took them to the water planet, he was right about the fact they could not get home using the sun (comon we all know that. We learned from SG1 that wormholes cannot go through suns without serious problems. Even the newer ones messed up when they did. So what makes the IOA think that making a wormhole INSIDE a sun with an old ass stargate is a good idea?) and last but definitely not least *mega-speculation* He knew that the only way to get the stargate enough power to dial the 9th chevron was to start a chain reaction of naquida in the planet core. That is why he lured the alliance to the planet.

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
... last but definitely not least *MEGA SPOILER* He knew that the only way to get the stargate enough power to dial the 9th chevron was to start a chain reaction of naquida in the planet core. That is why he lured the alliance to the planet.

Um, mega-spoiler or mega-speculation?

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM

No.. spoiler.

It's been confirmed by the writers.

just kidding fixed the text. (it is probably what really happened anyways)

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
No.. spoiler.

It's been confirmed by the writers.

just kidding fixed the text. (it is probably what really happened anyways)

Cheeky! Green for making me go ... oh, that's such a good idea!

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Rush is extremely intelligent - and has the ability to see the bigger picture all the time (well, his version of the bigger picture anyway) - unlike Eli who needs to pretty much be told what to work on in order to accomplish something.
Moreover, Rush is knee deep in Stargate and Ancient lore - with far more knowledge in the field then anyone on the Destiny.

Eli has more ingenuity and is more resourceful - and has mad math skills - but unlike Rush, he is not self motivated at all.

Yeah I think that Eli, if he applied himself, would be a formidable force indeed!

:sheppard:

Steelbox
November 9th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Eli acts too much like a little kid to make any decisions. He is like a calculator

Not true, the idea of using earth PoO contrariating Rush Knowledge about how the gate system work came from Eli. The Idea of using the Shuttles to try and power the Destiny came from him. He was one of the first to go and explore the ship and found the Kinos. It was his idea to build a hover sled with dozens of kinos, that was instrumental to bring back all the Ice to the destiny. Now you tell is he a person, or a kid that has no initiative, make no decisions and acts only as a personal calculator for Rush???

koroush47
November 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Not true, the idea of using earth PoO contrariating Rush Knowledge about how the gate system work came from Eli. The Idea of using the Shuttles to try and power the Destiny came from him. He was one of the first to go and explore the ship and found the Kinos. It was his idea to build a hover sled with dozens of kinos, that was instrumental to bring back all the Ice to the destiny. Now you tell is he a person, or a kid that has no initiative, make no decisions and acts only as a personal calculator for Rush???

SO FAR the only useful things that eli has done is A. Kino B. Kino Sled.

Just because you find a kino... doesn't make you smart. Anybody can find a box with a kino in it.. push a button on a touchscreen and realize that it floats around as a camera. From what I can tell operating a kino is not difficult because even technology blind young can do it. Since we seen him record himself talking when nobody was around.

The idea to tape a bunch of kinos to a board isn't what I would call smart either. It is creative. Get any kid that plays with legos and give him something that floats and a board. What do you think they will do? They will tape them together and see if they can fly around.

"The Idea of using the Shuttles to try and power the Destiny came from him."

It was just some random idea, didn't work because the destiny is too big compared to a little shuttle to actually do anything. Ideas that don't work aren't considered smart either.

Rush knew the ship was going to fly into a sun and recharge. That is why he stayed behind and then ran around yelling "I knew it". He doesn't seem like the person who would brag about how he knows everything, he isn't a McKay. He doesn't care what the people think about him, all he cares about is himself and the destiny. A person like that wouldn't stay in a ship he knows that is going to be destroyed and he wouldn't run around yelling "I knew it" If he really didn't. Because again he isn't like mckay.

Eli is seeming more like Kino boy and not math boy. Because all he is doing is flying the Kinos around.

Soledat
November 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I think Rush only suspected that the ship will recharge and wasn't sure. I don't say that he had no idea, but he wasn't 100% sure.

koroush47
November 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I think Rush only suspected that the ship will recharge and wasn't sure. I don't say that he had no idea, but he wasn't 100% sure.

Of course, you can't be 100 percent sure of anything...

It is like when you believe something to be true... then you start to doubt it.

akren
November 10th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Methinks mega speculation (but it's a nice theory thou; would be interesting if it was true!). :P

wargrafix
November 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Rush is brilliant but a bit twisted. Still one of the best characters.

Soledat
November 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Rush is brilliant but a bit twisted. Still one of the best characters.

That's what I like in him - the twisted part :D

EllieVee
November 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
That's what I like in him - the twisted part :D

I think he's very sweet ... :D

And to keep it on topic: smart, too!

Soledat
November 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I think he's very sweet ... :D

And to keep it on topic: smart, too!

Smart, sarcastic and sweet in his twisted way :D

Captain Obvious
November 17th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Smart, sarcastic and sweet in his twisted way :D

I really see Rush as one of those people that to get respect from him, you need to give respect to him. He now treats Greer with respect because Greer does the same for him. Same with Young, TJ and to some extent, Eli.

ZGoten
February 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
The answer is pretty easy and obvious to be honest.
Eli is probably a little smarter than Rush is, but compared to him, his knowledge of science is close to nothing, yet. That is why Eli didn't understand a lot of what was in that record.

jmoz
February 22nd, 2010, 01:54 AM
There's different kinds of smart. Knowledge, wisdom, brain computing power, math oriented, literature oriented, etc. I'm sure psychology has is broken down better. Rush may be smart in terms of amount of scientific and Ancient knowledge he has in his memories, but is he wise? Does he have good consciousness? Just different kinds of smart out there.