• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kandor (907)

Visit the Episode GuideSMALLVILLE SEASON NINE
    KANDOR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 907
    As Zod and Tess hunt for the Kryptonian who Zod believes has betrayed the Kandorians, Jor-El appears on Earth with the secrets of their arrival.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 09 May 2011, 03:23 PM.

great episode.

Comment

Very good episode. There were some sad parts but overall a very good episode.
      sigpic
      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

very good episode

Jor-El is such a douche, I like Zod

Comment

One of the best Smallville episodes yet. It explains the orb, and the Kandorians nicely, and seeing Jor-El was epic.
          For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Really cool episode.
            I felt sad for Clark at the end.

Zod should be a afraid, in fact he should be very afraid.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                Really cool episode.
                I felt sad for Clark at the end.

Zod should be a afraid, in fact he should be very afraid.
                Yeah, I don't think he is though. Just proves what an idiot he is.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

why would he be afraid, all he needs is some green kryptonite
                  we already know they have it, since they used it to build Metallo

if there's anything he should be afraid of it;s the Jor-El AI in the fortress.

Comment

Fantastic episode, best episode this season IMO. Loved the war scene in the beginning. The actor who played as Jor-El was also the Doci in SG1!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Fantastic episode, best episode this season IMO. Loved the war scene in the beginning. The actor who played as Jor-El was also the Doci in SG1!
                      It was very nice to see Mr. Sands again.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I almost expected him to start preaching Origin....

Comment

This is one of those wonderful mythology-laden episodes that serves the interests of both longtime fans and those only familiar with “Smallville”. It’s entirely possible to watch this episode without any prior knowledge of the franchise and understand the context of it all. That it touched on parallels to earlier seasons of the show, and managed to tie together some of the loose ends over the years, also made this a winner.

The episode is really meant to show how choices define consequences. Jor-El and Zod were friends, and Zod was quite possible a good man as well as a capable leader. Jor-El made an ethical decision not to restore Zod’s son to life, and that seems to have been the trigger that sent Zod into his descent. That personal conflict carried over onto Earth, thanks to the cloning experiment, and now Zod and Clark are set on a collision course.

What’s interesting is that this did not have to happen. Much is based on misunderstanding and anger. Zod’s behavior since his arrival on Earth is a direct consequence of his last memories: betrayal by his dearest friend. Clark makes the logical assumption that Jor-El was killed by Zod, and he refuses to take steps to restore Zod to the man he used to be. The real question is this: who killed Jor-El, and why?

It’s quite possible that Zod was not the one who killed Jor-El. It would explain why Zod knew how to find Clark; following Jor-El right to Clark would have been simplicity itself. But that seems a bit too easy. I think it would be a lot more interesting if someone like Tess had Jor-El killed, all in the hopes of becoming his ally against Zod in the coming months. Provided he never found out, it would allow Tess to get closer to the Traveler, while also correcting the mistake she made by unleashing the Kryptonians from within the Orb.

Julian Sands does a capable enough job as Jor-El, but it does create something of a discontinuity. Jor-El references his earlier time on Earth among the Kents (seen in “Relic”), but this Jor-El is clearly much older than the Jor-El (played by Tom Welling) seen in “Relic”. Also, the destruction of Kandor, while a fitting impetus to Zod’s plan to destroy Kal-El with a genetically engineered son in the eighth season, contradicts much of what had been previously revealed.

For example, in the supplementary animated material “Kara and the Chronicles of Krypton”, meant to flesh out the story of the House of El, it is General Zod that is attacking an intact Kandor that leads to the destruction of the planet, all as part of a plan concocted by Zor-El to fulfill an ancient prophecy. That prophecy has, in fact, been mentioned in passing throughout the past couple seasons, notably in ”Injustice”.

While one would assume that “Kandor” would be considered canon over the animated material, “Kara and the Chronicles of Krypton” was designed to fit the mythology as laid out in the seventh season. Also, other ancillary material has eventually been proven as canon, such as the Veritas organization. It would be reasonable to assume that Kandor was rebuilt on the ruins of the original city, but it seems like an unnecessary complication to the timeline.

Even so, I liked the other connections made regarding the Stones of Power, the use of blue kryptonite, and cloning. This seems to connect very well with “Blue” and the cloning that Zor-El conducted with Clark’s mother. (Granted, both the Stones and the Orb were supposedly much older than this episode would indicate, but this could easily be explained through oddities in the transit between Krypton and Earth.)

I’m sure the writers could figure out a way to make it all fit together, but I’m not sure it would matter. The purpose of the back story for this episode is clear enough, and while I’m sure there are a ton of insider references I missed along the way (for example, the reference to Black Zero), I still thought this was an excellent way to push the season arc into the complication phase.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            I almost expected him to start preaching Origin....
                            He did mention something about the Book of Rao, so maybe he's converted. lol

Comment

Wow! What an interesting episode. I loved how the Kandorians on Earth were revealed to be clones. Once they started talking about the bottle, miniature city of Kandor, I knew the direction where this was going. It was a very well done episode.

For reference: http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=8005

Did anyone notice hints within this episode and the previous one of a "Green Hornet" spin off? If they do create a spin off, they are doing a great setup job.

Next episode: "Wonder Twin Posers Activate!". I can't wait to see tonight's episode.

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
                              What’s interesting is that this did not have to happen. Much is based on misunderstanding and anger. Zod’s behavior since his arrival on Earth is a direct consequence of his last memories: betrayal by his dearest friend. Clark makes the logical assumption that Jor-El was killed by Zod, and he refuses to take steps to restore Zod to the man he used to be. The real question is this: who killed Jor-El, and why?
                              If anyone doesn't see who killed Jor'El's clone in this episode, they should be shot into space through the means of a canon. Who wanted to motivate Clark into fulfilling his destiny? You guys better know this answer. That is why Clark didn't blame Zod.

Hint: Evil Female Character. When Jor'El and Tessa were talking at the Luther Mansion, she asked him to do her a favor to protect Clark. She was hoping that Jor'El's second death with send Clark after Zod.
                              Last edited by Col. Tomorian; 13 November 2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X