PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me somebody else noticed this

Big Boss
November 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
When Eli goes to see his mom and realizes he can't tell her the whole body swap via stone thing that is like the uber internet that reaches across the universe to space ship blah blah blah...he calls himself "Phillip Fry." In the tv cartoon series Futurama, Phillip J. Fry was the main character. Nice little reference right there. :)

Shpinxinator
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I know I haven't been Eli's biggest fan but for the first time...I like his humor in this episode....I really did...

Avenger
November 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yep. Noticed.

Radahldo
November 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Made me smile.

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
When Eli goes to see his mom and realizes he can't tell her the whole body swap via stone thing that is like the uber internet that reaches across the universe to space ship blah blah blah...he calls himself "Phillip Fry." In the tv cartoon series Futurama, Phillip J. Fry was the main character. Nice little reference right there. :)

it was brought up in the earth thread. i don't watch the show so i didn't get the reference./

but i guess it's good

Replicator Todd
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yes I noticed, Eli is full of sci-fi references.

Big Boss
November 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
:) Nice. And you should check out futurama, great television show.

Yeah Eli is good for references that is for sure. So far he is one of the most interesting characters on the show.

MattSilver 3k
November 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Noticed, loved it. Though I wish he included the "J" in between "Phillip" and "Fry". Go full out and all...

Pianomancuber
November 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I lol'd. Literally.

DigiFluid
November 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Of course I noticed. I snickered a bit :)

kennythewraith
November 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
yup it was definatly awesome

Jedted
November 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I noticed that too but i forgot that Fry's first name was Phillip, on the show they allways called him "Fry".

Franklyn Blaze
November 6th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I got the reference, and I never watched futurerama all that much.

badwolfSG
November 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I agree but Eli my favorite character b/c of his humor!

Kidwizz
November 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I'm an Eli Fanboy hehe. He's me... sept i'm skinnier and not as smart. :/

escyos
November 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
what are you talking about? that NEVER happened! (looks shiftily around)

Infinite-Possibilities
November 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I have to agree. He had couple funny moments before but mostly his jokes were irritating. This was the first time I found him more funny than not. This episode was probably the best as far as his scenes go.

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
His scenes are probably the only thing I liked about this episode.

frankr
November 7th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I like his humor in just about every episode; of course my wife says I make really bad jokes.

-frank

SGFerrit
November 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Introducing himself as 'Phillip Fry' = genius. I loved it. I'd put it above most of the other cultural references in Stargate but then I am a big fan :o

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Introducing himself as 'Phillip Fry' = genius. I loved it. I'd put it above most of the other cultural references in Stargate but then I am a big fan :o
Why didn't he use the "J" to put the icing on the cake?

SGFerrit
November 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM

I don't know, but I'm not too bothered. That may have been a bit too 'in your face' about it. I just loved it.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I was watching on DVR with my wife and I had to pause because we were laughing so hard (my wife is not a Futurama fan but she got the reference so he laughs were more like groans). Yeah, throwing the 'J' in there would've been complete but people don't often introduce themselves like that so that would seem akward

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I don't know, but I'm not too bothered. That may have been a bit too 'in your face' about it. I just loved it.

Nobody introduces themselves with their middle initial anyway so that would've been a little weird..and too obvious like you say

Medicman
November 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
That was the best line in this episode. IMHO

jds1982
November 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I thought it was pretty funny. Now we just need a scene where he visits his mom with Greer and Rush and introduces them as Bender and Professor Farnsworth.

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=71083 eli's humor

Obi1
November 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
sure did!

Jper
November 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM
That was good. :)

The first name Eli could think of was Frye. :D

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Because, obviously, he's not impersonating chrononaut Philip J. Fry; He's impersonating his nephew, Philip Fry II!

Sim
November 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Not surprised.

Eli making pop culture references IS his character after all.

Arga
November 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you for giving this info, I love Futurama, but I didn't get the reference, because what I heard was "my name is Philip.. Philip Fries".

greenmen
November 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
It's a good one. Both are almost home, yet so far away from it.

Mesmer7
November 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
:) Nice. And you should check out futurama, great television show.

Yeah Eli is good for references that is for sure. So far he is one of the most interesting characters on the show.

So far, he's the only interesting character on the show.

garhkal
November 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
No wonder i did not get that.. never watched futurearma.

Cobra847
November 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
an excellent take on the more subtle SGU humour.

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
stone thing that is like the uber internet that reaches across the universe to space ship blah blah blah...Uber internet? What??

M2W
November 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
His scenes are probably the only thing I liked about this episode.

Me too.

Mitchell82
November 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Nope never watched the show.

Hallowed are the...
November 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Yes I noticed, Eli is full of sci-fi references.

A little too full. Does loser nerd mean sci-fi fan or does sci-fi fan mean loser nerd? That seems to be the tired line of thought our fair writers are stuck on.

ronin36
November 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
They've toned down Eli's joke making.

Now his remarks are a little softer, and more appropriate. He's "grown up" a bit in the last couple episodes.

In Air Pt.1 he was acting more like a 16-year-old "Don't blame this on me."

But now he's getting better. "People need to know the truth. But they also need hope."

Infinite-Possibilities
November 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I thought that too. I'm glad they did. I thought his attempts at humor in the first few episodes were almost all completely out of place and not very funny at all. I mean when they are desperately searching for water so they don't all die of dehydration shortly why should I care what he thinks about the Star Wars prequels?

justanotherjen
November 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I noticed and giggled like a little girl at the reference.