PDA

View Full Version : Eli = Friendzoned!

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Ouch. I truly felt sorry for Eli. That has been so many of us guys on here I'm sure.

On a side note, I'm glad Chloe has found out how shallow she was. Maybe she won't get down with Scott every single time she has the chance. I'd like that.

PG15
November 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah, so called this.

Poor Eli. Hang on there brother. You'll get your chance in the end.

ARealArchaeologist
November 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Ouch. I truly felt sorry for Eli. That has been so many of us guys on here I'm sure.

On a side note, I'm glad Chloe has found out how shallow she was. Maybe she won't get down with Scott every single time she has the chance. I'd like that.

I knew it would happen, and I felt so terrible for him, especially when he begged her not to say the friend word. But what really bothered me is I do think Chloe could have feelings for him, be a little confused, but will lead him along, giving him mixed messages and he won't know what to think. The time on the bridge (and yes they did think they were dying) and now the kiss. She needs to stay away until she figures herself out.

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I knew it would happen, and I felt so terrible for him, especially when he begged her not to say the friend word. But what really bothered me is I do think Chloe could have feelings for him, be a little confused, but will lead him along, giving him mixed messages and he won't know what to think. The time on the bridge (and yes they did think they were dying) and now the kiss. She needs to stay away until she figures herself out.

The kiss was inside Eli's head.

Coronach
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM

While I totally feel for Eli (getting "friendzoned" blows...), at least now I can stop seeing such vast amounts of "Omg poor Eli!! Chloe is totally leading him on!".

Honestly, they can "get down" with each other as much as they desire. However, I would like to see a little more with regards to their relationship. I mean, we had the conversation in "Light", but that was pre-impending death. I want to know where they stand now, and the occasional "holding hands on the Kino" isn't really gonna cut it for too long :P

Granted, I'm not faulting the writers at this point.

Coronach
November 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM

This x1000000000000000000!!!!

Goodness, I was watching this episode with my friend and he blurted out "Omg, she's such a little &$^&%!!". He is convinced that the kiss actually happened, so now I have to make him watch it on Hulu tomorrow, but man. I'm definitely looking forward to a week of people totally not paying attention, leading to more Chloe bashing :S

*Disclaimer* Not that ARealArchaeologist was bashing Chloe...just that I know misconceptions like this will lead to it. Good old GW :D

ARealArchaeologist
November 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM

How did I miss that! Good thing I watch these shows a few times :)

erotavlas
November 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
If only Eli could have continued using the stone to go further with that girl from the club. She would have cured his nice guy syndrome.... ;)

ARealArchaeologist
November 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
This x1000000000000000000!!!!

Goodness, I was watching this episode with my friend and he blurted out "Omg, she's such a little &$^&%!!". He is convinced that the kiss actually happened, so now I have to make him watch it on Hulu tomorrow, but man. I'm definitely looking forward to a week of people totally not paying attention, leading to more Chloe bashing :S

*Disclaimer* Not that ARealArchaeologist was bashing Chloe...just that I know misconceptions like this will lead to it. Good old GW :D

I didn't think you were, but funny enough I was about to edit mine and say that I don't want people to think I am bashing her. I just think she's a confused young girl who needs to find out who she wants to be. I definetly get annoyed when people take the she's a (insert token insult), because it is ignoring a lot of her character and taking the easy way out.

Angela V
November 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hey don't forget us girls get "Friendzoned" too! Yes it's annoying as hell but there is a time where one has to give up. Of course now I've been married for 11 years so the Friendzone apparently didn't happen at least once.:D

the fifth man
November 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The friend-zone is never a preferred zone. But, it does happen. Eli just needs to move on.

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
and pa learned a new phrase tonight

Friendzoned! never heard that before until earth

Coronach
November 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't think you were, but funny enough I was about to edit mine and say that I don't want people to think I am bashing her. I just think she's a confused young girl who needs to find out who she wants to be. I definetly get annoyed when people take the she's a (insert token insult), because it is ignoring a lot of her character and taking the easy way out.

Totally agree. :)

Hey don't forget us girls get "Friendzoned" too! Yes it's annoying as hell but there is a time where one has to give up. Of course now I've been married for 11 years so the Friendzone apparently didn't happen at least once.

Women? Getting "friendzoned"? As a fine, British owl-friend of mine would say, "Pish-Posh!". ;)

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Women? Getting "friendzoned"? As a fine, British owl-friend of mine would say, "Pish-Posh!". ;)

lol. I agree. That never happens.. :p

jelgate
November 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah, so called this.

with TJ:P

Coronach
November 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
with TJ:P

Oh man, if that happened we'd just get people screaming "OMG, McKay/Keller v. 2.0!!!". Of course, this is completely ignoring the fact that neither of the characters are anything like each other....but we on GW don't care about logic and rationality ;)

In other words, I'd actually be quite intrigued by some sort of TJ/Eli thing...though who knows what's going to happen in SGU :P

Replicator Todd
November 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Its good to have friends than no friends at all!

escyos
November 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM

haha i loved how you said that

POW
November 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I think at some point Chloe will realize her relationship with Scott may not be based on much but physical attraction and they are vastly different then ELi will come into the picture.

boxvic
November 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Been there, done that.

It might make me a bit of a jerk, but these days if I get stuck in the friend-zone I just pretty much just stop hanging out with the girl.

Shpinxinator
November 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I hear Lt. James is available now...

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I hear Lt. James is available now...

eli wouldn't know what to do with those ;)

Deevil
November 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
What's the problem with Chloe being clear that they are nothing but friends.

It was obvious to begin with, to me anyway, that's all she looked at him as. If he had feelings beyond friendship. it's a good thing she addressed that now - rather then her mythically leading him on.

Shpinxinator
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM

...he'd figure it out

garhkal
November 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
and pa learned a new phrase tonight

Friendzoned! never heard that before until earth

I have always heard it as "Friendized".

BUT if it is that way, then he hopefully can get over her. I am wondering though if she now sees some light in his 'affection' to her and changes her mind.
Though it does throw another wrench into HER works showing she had a BF back on earth and she did it with Scott.

Nitegate
November 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Eli might as well got a kick in the crotch from Chloe than told

he was a good friend

OUCH

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=71079

already got a discussion thread for this :)

Nitegate
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
woops my bad, they can merge i guess

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
woops my bad, they can merge i guess

request sent safe driving

PG15
November 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
EX-boyfriend. Big difference.

I think the plot was that Chloe's friend was working the background while Chloe and Josh were dating, and he broke it off with her because he was seeing...Chloe's friend, whatever her name was, on the side.

Sifr
November 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Gotta say, at least it explains why she moved onto Scott so damn fast... from how she was reacting when she found out about her ex and her best friend, she's definitely on the rebound... so I think some of us more hardcore fans can cut her a little slack...

But not much, she's still being incredibly shallow ;)

And yeah, poor Eli.

The amount of chicks I had the flirting-makeout-BAM-you're-a-good-friend-and-oh-right-she's-on-the-rerebound realisations with... women, how can you face heel turn (and kick) a dude in the space of 30 seconds?! Its like... some kind of superhero power... I think thats why Eli kinda likes it LOL!

But always... ouch.

SupremeLegate
November 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It always sucks when a girl you are interesting in says the word “you’re a good friend,” even when you know it is true it still hurts when she actually says it. And I think the scene played out rather well, I was worried for a moment that the kiss was going to be real and have some awkwardness later.

Kidwizz
November 6th, 2009, 11:15 PM
It hurts. Trust me. When the person you like pulls that line on you... it hurts...

Poor Eli.

escyos
November 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Been there, done that.

It might make me a bit of a jerk, but these days if I get stuck in the friend-zone I just pretty much just stop hanging out with the girl.

nothing wrong with that. you are after one thing, she isnt, no reason to waste time on something...unless shes REALLY hot

Vapor
November 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'm still a little confused by all this "double standard" talk.

What Chloe has with Scott is an entirely different situation from what her best friend has with her ex-boyfriend.

In one scenario, two people met because of their jobs and got closer when they were stuck somewhere, and Chloe didn't intentionally do anything to hurt anyone. In the other scenario, two people hooked up even though they knew that it would hurt Chloe, but they just simply didn't care.

If Chloe has hurt anyone with her relationship with Scott it was accidental, without her knowledge. The way some people talk, it's like they're saying she deserved to be hurt. But she did nothing to deserve that.

ZoSo
November 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
What's the problem with Chloe being clear that they are nothing but friends.

There's no problem, its a good thing to be clear on something like that.

But it still hurts like hell. Poor Eli.

Nitegate
November 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
but if you watched chloe told her it was her that broke them up in the first place, so her bf cheated on her with her best friend.

kymeric
November 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Been there, done that.

Hahaha, ditto. I think the last time that happened to me I was all SEEYAH, leaving behind a chorus of WTFs XD

I like being a jerk...

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 01:38 AM
EX-boyfriend. Big difference.

I think the plot was that Chloe's friend was working the background while Chloe and Josh were dating, and he broke it off with her because he was seeing...Chloe's friend, whatever her name was, on the side.
Bof, already done on "Beverly Hills 90210". :p

wargrafix
November 7th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Gravitational forces are definitely fighting with him for control.

Chole is now discovering how tricky life as a socialite really is.

segaxgames
November 7th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Oh yeah, so called this.

yeah.... just like McKay

reddevil18
November 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
"Don't say it"
Ouch...Poor guy.
But Chloe's not worth it.

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Chloe's not worth it. James on the other hand...

wargrafix
November 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Hallmark really needs to start making cards about friend-zone

MattSilver 3k
November 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Oh well, Eli'll bounce back. Maybe he'll either find another girl, become a nun, turn gay, throw himself into his Kino spy-duties or just plain get over Chloe...

On the other hand, maybe he'll keep friendly and all that, and she'll come to her own realisation of being more than friends with Eli. Either or, really.

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hallmark really needs to start making cards about friend-zone
What do you have in mind?

Hallmark card:

Anniversary:
- Happy anniversary dear "friend" with all my love and friendship.

Hospital:
- Get well soon. Lets hope after you get out of the hospital, we can meet and have a cup of coffee at my house?

Valentines Day:
- Happy Valentines day. Love may be closer than you think.

Christmas:
- Merry Christmas. You're like the gift of my life which I seem to not be able to open the box.

Wedding:
- There are things that last forever, but marriage isn't just one of them as the percentage of divorce hits over 50%. More with young couple. Good luck.

- No matter what happens, I will be there for you. We all make bad and good decision in life.

Baby Shower:
- F U

wargrafix
November 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Hallmark card:

Anniversary:

Hospital:
- Get well soon. Lets hope after you get out of the hospital, we can meet and have a cup of coffee at my house?

Valentines Day:

Christmas:
- Merry Christmas. You're like the gift of my life which I seem to not be able to open the box.

Wedding:
- There are things that last forever, but marriage isn't just one of them as the percentage of divorce hits over 50%. More with young couple. Good luck.

- No matter what happens, I will be there for you. We all make bad and good decision in life.

Baby Shower:
- F U

Niceeee!

Divorce
- Being friends should have been enough.

- Lets be friends. Just give me half of everything you own.

antcave
November 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
theres no way james will hookup with eli

Sonicbluemustang
November 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
If only Eli could have continued using the stone to go further with that girl from the club. She would have cured his nice guy syndrome.... ;)

That dudes got her email wrote on his hand. :cool:

neoprometheus
November 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
It was almost painful to watch, the writers did such a good job. I've been friended several times myself, brought beck a lot of memories.

BTW, who won the pool? (Episode in which Eli gets friended.)

Kaiphantom
November 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I'm still a little confused by all this "double standard" talk.

Chloe's ex and her friend were banging each other because it felt good; probably some emotional support going in there, too.

Chloe is banging Scott because it feels good; and maybe there's a bit of emotional support going on there, too.

Works both ways.

If Chloe has hurt anyone with her relationship with Scott it was accidental, without her knowledge. The way some people talk, it's like they're saying she deserved to be hurt. But she did nothing to deserve that.

It's only "without her knowledge" because she's focused on herself right now. Which is understandable; in my view, everyone is ultimately out for themselves and fulfilling their own needs. But if she were to actually take note of people around her and their feelings, she'd see the harm she's causing.

But I'm a cynic who believes everyone ends up using each other anyway. =)

Commander Zelix
November 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
But I'm a cynic who believes everyone ends up using each other anyway. =)

You don't believe in love? ;)

j_talyn
November 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
There were a couple times Chloe said "boyfriend" and one time she said "ex" after she learned what happened. It appeared she was under the impression they were still dating until her disappearance and father's death. To me, she's the pot calling the kettle black. She slept with Scott, has a bf back home who slept with someone else and she still feels the need to play the victim? As for the topic on hand, that whole friend zone thing certainly sucks. It's happened more times to me than I can count. I've grown to like Eli more and Chloe less.

Coronach
November 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Chloe's ex and her friend were banging each other because it felt good; probably some emotional support going in there, too.

Chloe is banging Scott because it feels good; and maybe there's a bit of emotional support going on there, too.

Works both ways.

Except that's not why Chloe was upset. She was upset because she suspected (and I'd imagine this is the case) that her friend is the reason that Chloe and her ex-boyfriend broke up.

MacGyverInSpace
November 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
What was with that terrifyingly 80's nightclub?

huh....some mod' just improperly merged my minuscule thread.

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
What was with that terrifyingly 80's nightclub?

don't now but i was glad their did it . it shows you what the characters used to be and what they wqill become as the series continues

Cory Holmes
November 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
+1 for the Eli/James crew. Maybe she could get him to grow up a bit :)

Vapor
November 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
There were a couple times Chloe said "boyfriend" and one time she said "ex" after she learned what happened. It appeared she was under the impression they were still dating until her disappearance and father's death. To me, she's the pot calling the kettle black. She slept with Scott, has a bf back home who slept with someone else and she still feels the need to play the victim? As for the topic on hand, that whole friend zone thing certainly sucks. It's happened more times to me than I can count. I've grown to like Eli more and Chloe less.

The reason she said "boyfriend" is because the other girl was apparently sleeping with him before they had even broken up. The other girl is the reason he became an "ex" in the first place. Because she slept with him while Chloe was still with him, and then he left Chloe for her.

There's no double standard. One situation is intentionally frakked up (the friend knowingly stole Chloe's bf) and the other just happened (Chloe had no idea about Eli or James).

boxvic
November 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Hallmark card:

Anniversary:

Hospital:

Valentines Day:

Christmas:

Wedding:

Baby Shower:
- F U

They would be more like the kind of thing you would buy your buddy after he gets it.

"So dude, I heard she said the F-word... that sucks. Meet the guys for beer tonight at Melloney's "

"1,2,3,4, screw that whore! Friendzone unite!"

"Friends... we have all known someone who has been stricken with this terrible affliction, maybe even you yourself has experienced the pain of friendship. Join us, as we attempt to raise money to end this injustice."

pipi
November 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Had to rewatch that kiss with Chloe, sucks it was Eli's imagination.

He should have taken advantage of her !_! in the car. I bet if he kissed her for real at that moment it wouldn't be all that bad, might even get a pity root. And he could always say that it wasn't really him, cause it wasn't his body and she wasn't in Chloe's body or they were both smashed. Life on the ship would continue the same or better. So win win.

boxvic
November 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Had to rewatch that kiss with Chloe, sucks it was Eli's imagination.

He should have taken advantage of her !_! in the car. I bet if he kissed her for real at that moment it wouldn't be all that bad, might even get a pity root. And he could always say that it wasn't really him, cause it wasn't his body and she wasn't in Chloe's body or they were both smashed. Life on the ship would continue the same or better. So win win.

But then he wouldn't be who he is. All of us who has been "friendzoned" has been in a similar situation, and we have all done the same thing Eli did. That is what makes us who we are. It is what puts us in the friendzone that pisses us off so much, but also what lets us sleep at night.

buuzero
November 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Basically, Eli just needs to man the hell up. Period.

Ouroboros
November 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
My favorite part about this whole storyline was how after Chloe supposedly has this big epiphany about how shallow all the relationships in her life really are and how they're just using her for X or Y she jumps right back into it with Scott.

I'm not saying she should have gone with Eli, he's got other deficiencies, but come on. Talk about learning and then reverting in the worst way. It's made especially awesome by the revelation that she did apparently have a boyfriend on Earth all along to. Evidently she never thought very much of him even before the whole cheating thing was revealed though, since she already started banging another guy something like the day after she got stranded, and when her father's body had barely cooled. Real crisis of conscience there eh, especially when she gets all indignant about it because how dare he cheat on her.

I guess you get out what you put in to your social interactions right.

It's funny to because for a while there this episode was actually making me like her more.

As far as Eli goes even being in this one's friendzone is probably more trouble than it's worth. She's basically primarily useful as emergency food. He should hang out with "as yet nameless asian scientist chick" more.

PG15
November 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
It's made especially awesome by the revelation that she did apparently have a boyfriend on Earth all along to.

Ex-Boyfriend. They had already broken up by the time Chloe got stranded.

Chloe was much more angry over the fact that her best friend betrayed her than her boyfriend cheating on her.

Aragon101
November 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'm a little confused in general.

I understand where TPTB are coming from with the whole "Scott and Chloe consoling and confiding in each other so they decide to jog horizontally together" but in all honesty, i don't see even a platonic sexual relationship coming from that.

Eli getting friendzoned was obvious right from their first interactions. Chloe sees him as her "Chum" and not as her "Lover" It would take a serious change in Eli for her to see him like that. Scott's this 'military" guy who is in charge and seems to have his heart in the right place. after their interactions, if Scott started the encounter (actually... is it clear in light who started teh Chloe/Scott encounter?)

Eli isn't very confident either, and any woman will tell you confidence is the best aphrodisiac :P Scott's not THE most confident guy, but he's managing to hold onto some semblance of control along with Young and the others. Eli's the shoulder she cries on (literally) and Scotts the one who actually had the guts to sit down and talk to her after. (that in itself strikes me as odd, but i guess i can sorta understand it as they really only have each other in any more than aquaintance self.

The part where Chloe puts her head on Eli's shoulder during light made me CRINGE. Just the way he's like "Uhhh what do i do?"

If Eli wants to get any girl who isn't A: Dangerously Obsessed with him, B: Brainwashed. C: Going through Pon-Farr, then he really needs to 'man up' as some people have said it.

I got friendzoned when i was younger, and i learned. Confidence, clear intentions, and a disposition to take it will get you farther than any amount of "being there for you". Any hesitation or shame will sweep the legs right out from under you :P

Not to say it isn't possible, but it's WAY easier by just "being a man" to put it into a single phrase.

Someone above mentioned that Eli should have just kissed her. If he did it without shame or hesitation, then i agree, if he does it all bashfully then it's like a squirrel trying to tell a bear to get out of its tree; not gonna happen.

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ex-Boyfriend. They had already broken up by the time Chloe got stranded.

Oh ok, I missed a line in there somewhere and was thrown off by her (over)reaction to the other girl being friendly with him. Change my vote to shallow drunken clown for this one then.

Chloe was much more angry over the fact that her best friend betrayed her than her boyfriend cheating on her.

All right, so she's just one of those people that likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them. So more points for personal vanity and selfishness. Not difficult to understand perhaps but not exactly the sort of "good" or admirable quality she could really stand to show in at least some category.

PG15
November 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM
All right, so she's just one of those people that likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them. So more points for personal vanity and selfishness.

Nope. Chloe stressed the fact that she's angry because she just found out that she and her boyfriend broke up because he was cheating on her with Chloe's friend behind her back.

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I still think being put back in the friendzone after not being in it is worse... at least until the stipid crush wears off and you realise how bossy and annoying she is and plan to go into a DanielJackson-esque "not in a million years" rant if she ever want you back.
Yeah... that happened to a friend of mine... let's call him Phil.

Deevil
November 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Eli isn't very confident either, and any woman will tell you confidence is the best aphrodisiac :P Really? 'Cause this woman has to say that's just not universally true at all... and confidence, especially false confidence, can even be a turn off to some women.

Someone above mentioned that Eli should have just kissed her. If he did it without shame or hesitation, then i agree, if he does it all bashfully then it's like a squirrel trying to tell a bear to get out of its tree; not gonna happen. And if a persons not interested they are just not interest, confidence, being a man or not.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that perhaps Chloe isn't attracted to him sexually... not because he isn't man enough, or isn't confident enough - just because she isn't.

It is possible for women to like men without wanting to bed them. Even possible for them to like confident men without wanting to bed them.

Eli is her friend. She is not responsible for any feelings he has beyond friendship, especially now that she has been more then clear.

I can tell you, as a woman, it is damned annoying when a guy - who you have no interest in sexually - decides they are gonna 'man up'. Like, it's a problem being who they are.

Ridiculous.

BTW - him trying to kiss her... not a good idea. He would have still be shut down, no matter what.

Cold Fuzz
November 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
As far as Eli goes even being in this one's friendzone is probably more trouble than it's worth. She's basically primarily useful as emergency food. He should hang out with "as yet nameless asian scientist chick" more.

Copy that. I like Eli's character but his inexperience with relationships, particularly this hangup with Chloe, frustrates me sometimes. He needs to understand that if he wants out of the whole friendzone situation, he needs to take responsibility for himself. He needs to do several things in order to do this:

1. Acceptance
Chloe does not love him the way he loves her. She probably never will. He needs to just accept that in his heart. But he's not doing that right now and that's most of the problem right there. As evidenced by her choice of friends and former boyfriends in "Earth," Eli is just not at all what she's looking for now or what has looked for in men in the past. That much should be obvious to him by now.

2. Friendship with Chloe should not be an option
I think a lot of people will disagree with me on this but here's my take on the situation. Eli wanted a romantic relationship. Instead, he has to settle for a platonic relationship. Settling for a platonic relationship but secretly desiring romance will cause him nothing but pain and likely resentment later, perhaps festering into some rather ugly jealousy. Settling for a friendship is quite different than sincerely wanting a friendship. People who feel like they're forced to settle for the second best thing will resent the situation and likely the other person later.

He's holding out for her as a friend in the hope she'll somehow see the light and turn to him romantically. It's a vain hope and he probably knows it but he's going down that road anyway. I've seen way too many men and women emotionally torture themselves in this fashion in real life. :rolleyes:

3. Eli should be an acquaintance, not a friend
Right now, Eli is still fresh to the situation and very likely has no experience with this sort of relationship situation. He needs to emotionally distance himself from Chloe. He doesn't need to be rude or anything but being a close friend will cause him pain, resentment and jealousy. It's already happening, especially with some of his remarks to Scott and how he's now quietly using a Kino to watch them hold hands. Now to me, there's a world of difference between being an acquaintance and a friend. Many people don't make that kind of distinction. In this case, for his own mental health, he needs to do something like that.

The bottom line is if Eli is not emotionally mature enough to handle a close friendship with a woman he is smitten with, then he needs to be an acquaintance or plain indifferent to Chloe. Of course, she's not going to like that. But we already know what she wants--and it's not Eli.

4. Move on, move on, move on
Can't be said enough times. Acceptance about the situation is the key. If he can't get to that acceptance part, he can't move on and be open to other relationships. But if he does, there are other women on board that would find him interesting. The thing is, they're all probably older than him and the ones who would like him--scientists--probably want someone who's older or more emotionally mature.

Dr. Lisa Park is obviously another choice. I personally think she's attractive in her way. But is she a match for Eli? I hardly think so--not by a long shot. I personally see her getting into a romantic relationship with either Volker or Brody, with Volker more likely of the two. I don't know if either one of them are married though I strongly doubt it. Volker & Park seems a better match to me than Eli & Park.

5. TPTB have other plans
Emotionally distancing himself from Chloe in one way or another is the logical thing for Eli to do. Hell, it's certainly what I would tell him to do. And I've given that piece of advice to the numerous people I have encountered in this in very same situation. But they don't listen and don't realize it until after they're heartbroken--again. :rolleyes:

But despite everything that I've written, I know that this isn't the direction TPTB are going. They want the internal conflict for Eli and the potential for interesting character moments. So they're going to have him carrying a torch for her. I've seen this enough times in real life with other people that I mutter to myself, "For crying out loud, just get over her already" whenever he starts pining for Chloe. :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, all of the women I'm close friends with are friends not because I was romantically interested in them and settled for a platonic relationship. They're women I've known for a few years and we were just not interested in each other as anything other than friends. Some of what I've written (like the part about distinguishing friends from acquaintances) is advice from them, actually. :D

If a woman doesn't like me romantically speaking, I accept it rather quickly and then move on. Eli will only torture himself by acting like he's begging for Chloe's affection. Living in the vain hope that she'll accept him is, in my opinion, worse than being rejected.

Aragon101
November 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Really? 'Cause this woman has to say that's just not universally true at all... and confidence, especially false confidence, can even be a turn off to some women.

And if a persons not interested they are just not interest, confidence, being a man or not.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that perhaps Chloe isn't attracted to him sexually... not because he isn't man enough, or isn't confident enough - just because she isn't.

It is possible for women to like men without wanting to bed them. Even possible for them to like confident men without wanting to bed them.

Eli is her friend. She is not responsible for any feelings he has beyond friendship, especially now that she has been more then clear.

I can tell you, as a woman, it is damned annoying when a guy - who you have no interest in sexually - decides they are gonna 'man up'. Like, it's a problem being who they are.

Ridiculous.

BTW - him trying to kiss her... not a good idea. He would have still be shut down, no matter what.

I'm a believer in Ladder Theory.

On a purely personal note, if i want someone as a friend, then i'll interact with them in a friend way.

If i want someone in a more than platonic way, then i'll interact with them in a more than platonic way.

I think Eli lost his chance 5 minutes into meeting Chloe, but he has a chance to grow from this encounter, and 'manning up' will give him that needed pain to learn. (I'm reminded of Star Trek 5 and Kirk screaming "I need my pain!")

I wholeheartedly understand what you mean by annoying guys "manning up" after the fact. and yes, False confidence is no substitute for the real thing. But how does one get confidence in something? It's either natural talent or practice.

Eli's been a shut in for how long? I would have been disappointed if TPTB HAD put him with Chloe in more than platonic sense this early.

Manning up after the fact won't win him anything but some self-respect and a new viewpoint. I honestly think it would take some very serious lifechanging events for anything to happen between Chloe and Eli at this point.

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Chloe ran back to Scott the instant they were back. Holding hands and all that is definitely making her decision public knowledge!

Scott better be careful about the public displays of affection as he may lose street cred with the civ's.

Eli, Eli, Eli...I said this weeks ago but poor Eli can't turn that attraction switch on for Chloe.

He's not friendzoned, he owns friendzone!

:sheppard:

kymeric
November 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
If he played up the sexual tension and they drank alot together sooner or later shed be fighting with her BF and end up jumping his bones, friend zoned or not. Trust me on this lol.

Cold Fuzz
November 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Chloe ran back to Scott the instant they were back. Holding hands and all that is definitely making her decision public knowledge!

Scott better be careful about the public displays of affection as he may lose street cred with the civ's.

Eli, Eli, Eli...I said this weeks ago but poor Eli can't turn that attraction switch on for Chloe.

He's not friendzoned, he owns friendzone!

*sigh* Eli is like a dozen other people I've encountered in the past 4 years with this very same issue. Eli, Eli, Eli: Move on, move on, move on. :D

Though Scot has to be careful with the displays of affection, I get the feeling that we'll start to see men and women pairing off. They have no idea how long their journey is going to be and the reality of their surroundings is setting in. They're going to want to reach out to each other. Personally I think Dale Volker and Lisa Park would probably be the first scientist couple. ;) I wonder who would pair off would Riley?

Azzers
November 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Honestly, Eli not getting Chloe opens up all sorts of interesting scenarios for me. I do get shocked that many people don't seem to bring up that his "lurking" aspect in regards to Chloe is cute in a hopeless romantic sense, but is extremely close to stalker behavior.

I don't think Chloe would help him grow either. She's not interested, she doesn't see him that way (at least right now) and if anything, he'd be far too "I'm so lucky" that the whole thing wouldn't be very satisfying. In the future, all bets are off because people DO change, and people's opinions about other people change.

Two things that would be interesting to me would be James and Wallace or a whole obsessive streak on Eli's part. The second would be extremely interesting to me, but you already have an obsessive character and that might make everything too dark (how many do you need outside of Rush?)

James and Wallace would be great just because I think in an odd way it's believable and appropriate. Someone like that would force Wallace to "man-up" and it's believable on some level that James views Wallace as powerful on the ship. It doesn't even have to be sweet either, it could be very manipulative. James viewing Wallace as naive and a conduit for her own security. Both Wallace and James could just view each other as rebounds for Scott and Armstrong. And from there it could turn sweet or not, but I do think it would make for compelling viewing.

Then again, I'm not really a shipper so who cares. Just thought it might be interesting. In conclusion: not a fan of the friend zone - move on.

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Nope. Chloe stressed the fact that she's angry because she just found out that she and her boyfriend broke up because he was cheating on her with Chloe's friend behind her back.

I don't remember that being specified. It's a conclusion she could draw by them being friendly now but I don't remember it specifically stated from the episode. As we've seen on the other hand though, I don't exactly hang on her every word do I.

1. Acceptance
Chloe does not love him the way he loves her. She probably never will. He needs to just accept that in his heart. But he's not doing that right now and that's most of the problem right there. As evidenced by her choice of friends and former boyfriends in "Earth," Eli is just not at all what she's looking for now or what has looked for in men in the past. That much should be obvious to him by now.

He needs to break out of this stupid tunnel vision he's got on her. Just because she's the first girl that was semi nice to him out of the whole group doesn't mean she's the only girl on the ship or even the best one for him. He'll never know one way or the other though because he doesn't bother to even try to talk to anyone else. He also needs to realize that what he's feeling isn't "true love" by any stretch of the imagination. He's got this pitiful kind of lost puppy thing going on that's really groan inducing to watch.

He's holding out for her as a friend in the hope she'll somehow see the light and turn to him romantically. It's a vain hope and he probably knows it but he's going down that road anyway. I've seen way too many men and women emotionally torture themselves in this fashion in real life. :rolleyes:

He's so sadly desperate to be around her that he'll take whatever he can get from her, hence the sadly desperate part. He really needs to step back and examine exactly what it is he finds so great about her and the root of his feelings. Is it because she has so much in common with him, is it because their personalities just click the way some people's do, is it because there's just some sort of inexplicable mutual attraction, or is it because she was nice to him a few times.

Once he realizes it was the last one hopefully he'll be able to recognize how ridiculous it is to harbor this huge infatuation based on something like that.

ARealArchaeologist
November 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think that Chloe has to like him, I guess it's more the old sap in me that wishes she would like him. I know it's what many fall for, the underdog finding out he's worthy of love and a great life, and getting all he ever desired.

Quadhelix
November 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
It doesn't even have to be sweet either, it could be very manipulative. James viewing Wallace as naive and a conduit for her own security.
That doesn't really seem in character for her.

I don't remember that being specified. It's a conclusion she could draw by them being friendly now but I don't remember it specifically stated from the episode.
Direct quote from the episode:

ARMSTRONG: You mean about the fact that you're sleeping with her boyfriend?

CELINA: What?

ARMSTRONG: It's pretty obvious you guys are together.

CELINA: Look, Josh and Chloe broke up.

ARMSTRONG: Yeah, I don't think she ever would have suspected that you're the real reason why.
So yes, it was specified in the episode.

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Direct quote from the episode:

So yes, it was specified in the episode.

Ok so it is kind of like I originally remembered. She sees the two of them together now and makes the accusation that this means they must have been cheating with each other when she was still involved with him.

It's possible sure, but her making the accusation of it doesn't make it a fact. I thought I missed one of them actually admit it to "cousin whatsherface" or something. "Yeah we were totally doing it behind her back" or something to that effect.

Quadhelix
November 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Ok so it is kind of like I originally remembered. She sees the two of them together now and makes the accusation that this means they must have been cheating with each other when she was still involved with him.

It's possible sure, but her making the accusation of it doesn't make it a fact. I thought I missed one of them actually admit it to "cousin whatsherface" or something. "Yeah we were totally doing it behind her back" or something to that effect.
Well, no, this line of discussion was started by, among other things, this statement: "All right, so she's just one of those people that likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them."

If that looks familiar, it should: you wrote it. The point that both PG15 and I have been making is that Chloe wasn't upset that her best friend was dating her ex; she was upset because she suspected that her best friend had been sleeping with him while he was still her boyfriend.

Whether her perception was correct or not (and, by the way, the other girl's reaction was hardly confidence inspiring), the point is that she was upset about something that was quite unambiguously both cheating and a betrayal of trust - which came only minutes after the revelation that at least some of her friends were just after her father's connections.

Azzers
November 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Quadhelix;10813369]That doesn't really seem in character for her.

Well she did already get Eli to walk into a room full of other people by implying something of a "you and me" nature. He was goofy enough to fall for it. Honestly, I don't think James has been established at all as far as what she is or isn't. So far, we've only seen her in the context of Scott. And ticked off at the person you just had sex with isn't exactly a probing view of anybody.

I think what has been established about her character is that she is coming off the Scott incident, she is unsure of her surroundings (as evidenced by her need to get Eli into that room in the first place) and that she isn't above using her femininity to do it. To what degree is probably the question we don't have answer to. Other than that, I really don't know who Lt. James is other than she can probably snap Eli like a twig if she finds him that annoying.

The question I would have would be, "is there anything about him she could be attracted to in the first place?" My guess is, no. But who knows? Written correctly, there is a kind of inverted symmetry to them in what I've seen so far.

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Well, no, this line of discussion was started by, among other things, this statement: "All right, so she's just one of those people that likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them."

That quote of mine is exactly what I was referring to when I said "Ok so it is kind of like I originally remembered."

She accuses the other girl and her boyfriend of cheating on her behind her back based on the fact that they are together now which would be after she already broke up with him. Now that she sees them together though, going by the quote you provided, she jumps to the conclusion that this other girl was the sole reason her relationship failed. That it's her fault or that she somehow had some deliberate hand in destroying her relationship with her boyfriend.

Whether her perception was correct or not (and, by the way, the other girl's reaction was hardly confidence inspiring), the point is that she was upset about something that was quite unambiguously both cheating and a betrayal of trust - which came only minutes after the revelation that at least some of her friends were just after her father's connections.

She assumes there was cheating involved. Even if this hypothetical guy did break up with her just so he could be with the other one that's not cheating unless he was hiding sex or other romantic activity from her while still maintaining the pretense of a relationship. It's just being dumped.

Eternal Density
November 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Chloe might have been right, or she might have been wrong. Maybe she now realises that there were signs she hadn't noticed... or maybe she's just jumping to conclusions due to her alcohol-induced fogginess. We don't know. But Chloe's best friend and ex (and Vanessa James) are not actually relevant to the topic of Eli being friendzoned.

Perhaps this is though: http://xkcd.com/513/

Cold Fuzz
November 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
He needs to break out of this stupid tunnel vision he's got on her. Just because she's the first girl that was semi nice to him out of the whole group doesn't mean she's the only girl on the ship or even the best one for him. He'll never know one way or the other though because he doesn't bother to even try to talk to anyone else. He also needs to realize that what he's feeling isn't "true love" by any stretch of the imagination. He's got this pitiful kind of lost puppy thing going on that's really groan inducing to watch.

He's so sadly desperate to be around her that he'll take whatever he can get from her, hence the sadly desperate part. He really needs to step back and examine exactly what it is he finds so great about her and the root of his feelings. Is it because she has so much in common with him, is it because their personalities just click the way some people's do, is it because there's just some sort of inexplicable mutual attraction, or is it because she was nice to him a few times.

Once he realizes it was the last one hopefully he'll be able to recognize how ridiculous it is to harbor this huge infatuation based on something like that.

He's willing to settle for what little he can get from her because deep down inside, Eli probably doesn't like himself very much or think very highly of himself. Consequently, he probably doesn't believe that any other girl other than Chloe would be within his reach emotionally or otherwise. Perhaps he's right about that or perhaps not but he'll never be certain if he just follows her around like--as you said--a lost puppy. I do like Eli but watching him do this to himself is getting kind of grating for me.

I kind of want to reach into the TV screen, yank him out into the living room and tell him, "Ya know what, I'm going to tell you something I've been telling a bunch of people I've met for the past 4 years. You're not going to like but it's for your own good, Eli: MOVE ON, for crying out loud! Get over her!"

:cameron:

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
He's willing to settle for what little he can get from her because deep down inside, Eli probably doesn't like himself very much or think very highly of himself. Consequently, he probably doesn't believe that any other girl other than Chloe would be within his reach emotionally or otherwise. Perhaps he's right about that or perhaps not but he'll never be certain if he just follows her around like--as you said--a lost puppy. I do like Eli but watching him do this to himself is getting kind of grating for me.

I kind of want to reach into the TV screen, yank him out into the living room and tell him, "Ya know what, I'm going to tell you something I've been telling a bunch of people I've met for the past 4 years. You're not going to like but it's for your own good, Eli: MOVE ON, for crying out loud! Get over her!"

Yup, have to agree, it's just painful to watch. He's a smart bloke, just not emotionally smart. :(

Cold Fuzz
November 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yup, have to agree, it's just painful to watch. He's a smart bloke, just not emotionally smart. :(

See that's the thing about Eli. I do like his character and I would tell him exactly what you and others have said--not because we don't want him to get with Chloe but because wanting to get with her will make him crazy.

That scene at the end of "Earth" where he uses the Kino to zoom in on Chloe and Scott holding hands during Young's speech does not bode well for this boy's coming jealousy issues.

Ouroboros
November 9th, 2009, 01:51 AM

I think I'd just tell him something to the effect of. "You're on the other side of the universe seeing sights never seen before by human eyes, with countless potential experiences before you that no other human being save your shipmates will ever come close to sharing, living with the knowledge that human kind is not alone in the universe and that human travel to other words is not only possible but easy and that habitable worlds are abundant. You're living the dream of every person throughout history who ever looked up at the night sky and thought "I wonder" and of every other nerd who ever dreamed he was Captain Kirk or Luke Skywalker... and you're getting all mopey over some silly little girl."

I might follow it up with a slap to, or an offer to dial a call girl and swap bodies with him for an afternoon.

Quadhelix
November 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
That quote of mine is exactly what I was referring to when I said "Ok so it is kind of like I originally remembered."That quote of yours in no way resembles the actual events in the episode. You said that she "likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them." The plain meaning of this is that she considers someone dating her ex to be a form of cheating, or a personal betrayal.

Whatever you meant by that statement, we are not mind readers, and can judge only by what you actually write, not what you mean.

She accuses the other girl and her boyfriend of cheating on her behind her back based on the fact that they are together now which would be after she already broke up with him. Now that she sees them together though, going by the quote you provided, she jumps to the conclusion that this other girl was the sole reason her relationship failed. That it's her fault or that she somehow had some deliberate hand in destroying her relationship with her boyfriend.

She assumes there was cheating involved. Even if this hypothetical guy did break up with her just so he could be with the other one that's not cheating unless he was hiding sex or other romantic activity from her while still maintaining the pretense of a relationship. It's just being dumped.As Eternal Density points out, we have no idea of the context of this scene. In order to determine whether Chloe's "revelation" that her friend had been cheating with her boyfriend is a paranoid delusion or a rational deduction of the facts, we would need information that, quite frankly, we don't have.

Of course, you could always say, "the writers should have established context." I, however, would prefer not to have a three-part episode dedicated to Chloe's pre-Icarus love life.

That scene at the end of "Earth" where he uses the Kino to zoom in on Chloe and Scott holding hands during Young's speech does not bode well for this boy's coming jealousy issues.I don't know: in "Water," he made that comment about running out of air before being left behind...and then, when something actually happened to Scott, he was sort of like, "I do not resemble that remark."

wargrafix
November 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
See that's the thing about Eli. I do like his character and I would tell him exactly what you and others have said--not because we don't want him to get with Chloe but because wanting to get with her will make him crazy.

That scene at the end of "Earth" where he uses the Kino to zoom in on Chloe and Scott holding hands during Young's speech does not bode well for this boy's coming jealousy issues.

It possible that he's realized quite a bit about her. It won't help the jealousy issues, but he needs to know where he stands. She is just like any other socialite. She shacks up with any guy who seems to be in a position of advantage.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
November 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
how many people here can say that they havent been jealous before?

Ouroboros
November 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
That quote of yours in no way resembles the actual events in the episode. You said that she "likes to equate dating their ex with being some form of cheating or personal affront to them." The plain meaning of this is that she considers someone dating her ex to be a form of cheating, or a personal betrayal.

Whatever you meant by that statement, we are not mind readers, and can judge only by what you actually write, not what you mean.

Why are you getting so worked up at me over this? "No what you said doesn't mean to me what you think it means! I'm not a mind reader!"

Chloe went ahead and started hurling baseless accusations about destroying her relationship against this other girl who's supposed to be her friend. She did this without apparently any kind of evidence beyond that they were together now, and of course whatever evidence you'll decide to imagine must exist for the benefit of her "rational deduction of the facts".

As Eternal Density points out, we have no idea of the context of this scene. In order to determine whether Chloe's "revelation" that her friend had been cheating with her boyfriend is a paranoid delusion or a rational deduction of the facts, we would need information that, quite frankly, we don't have.

...and until we do have that information we should assume favorably that she must have had good rational reasons and a Sherlock Holmes like examination of the facts to draw her conclusions, as opposed to booze, selfishness and shallow jealousy like the episode actually seemed to show.

I'll gladly change my opinion in light of new information coming out, but right now I'm not going to go out of my way to assume that this was anything but what it looked like.

Of course, you could always say, "the writers should have established context." I, however, would prefer not to have a three-part episode dedicated to Chloe's pre-Icarus love life.

On the contrary. I think they established what was going on in those scenes well enough for me.

She starts slinging these accusations around because she's sauced up and freaking out over the realization that all her friends are shallow hangers on. At the same time though she's revealing how hanging around with that kind of crowd has made her equally shallow and petty since she can't imagine a scenario where her ex and this other one get together and it wasn't somehow about her again.

She's so used to being the center of attention and having these phonies hang on her every word and action that she thinks everything they do must be connected to her somehow.

Quadhelix
November 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Why are you getting so worked up at me over this? "No what you said doesn't mean to me what you think it means! I'm not a mind reader!" To be quite blunt: I thought (incorrectly) that you were lying.

Basically, I somehow, during the course of this thread, got the impression that Chloe thought that her boyfriend had been cheating on her with her friend. It turns out that the word "cheat" isn't even in the transcript, so I was completely off-base on that.

On the contrary. I think they established what was going on in those scenes well enough for me.
So then you know how long ago Chloe and her ex broke up? How long it typically takes for Chloe's friend to move from eying a guy to moving in on him? How long it takes him to go from eying a girl to moving in on her? You know how long it takes either one of them to go from entering a relationship to being comfortable with public displays of affection?

...and until we do have that information we should assume favorably that she must have had good rational reasons and a Sherlock Holmes like examination of the facts to draw her conclusions, as opposed to booze, selfishness and shallow jealousy like the episode actually seemed to show. I do see your point on this.

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Innocent until proven guilty... we could do with a dose of that around here :D

And now that Eli knows for certain that he's friendzoned, there's a slight chance that he might move on... nah :P

Ouroboros
November 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
To be quite blunt: I thought (incorrectly) that you were lying.

Basically, I somehow, during the course of this thread, got the impression that Chloe thought that her boyfriend had been cheating on her with her friend. It turns out that the word "cheat" isn't even in the transcript, so I was completely off-base on that.

The accusation of him cheating on her with the other girl is pretty strongly implied in what she does say in that excerpt that was posted, even if the specific word itself isn't used.

I could of phrased things better at the beginning myself. I didn't perfectly remember exactly what was said in the scene and since I'm actually able to just watch the new eps of this Stargate on local Canadian TV, I couldn't easily just go back and double check it.

So then you know how long ago Chloe and her ex broke up? How long it typically takes for Chloe's friend to move from eying a guy to moving in on him? How long it takes him to go from eying a girl to moving in on her? You know how long it takes either one of them to go from entering a relationship to being comfortable with public displays of affection?

It's worth noting that any public displays of affection between the two were not being flaunted in front of Chloe as far as anyone there knew. For all they knew they were just out with their friends. It would be naturally rude to flaunt something like that in front of Chloe after a recent breakup if they knew that's what they were doing. They didn't know though, and I think even Chloe forgot that once the booze hit her.

Sometimes if a character does something that seems out of character I'm willing to go the extra mile and assume that there's probably some crucial part of the picture we're not seeing yet, but from what we've seen of her character so far I didn't really have that problem here. Nothing she did really made me think "Chloe would never get drunk and lash out at her phony friends like that, something else must be going on. She must have a good reason to be acting this way".

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It possible that he's realized quite a bit about her. It won't help the jealousy issues, but he needs to know where he stands. She is just like any other socialite. She shacks up with any guy who seems to be in a position of advantage.

As Ouroboros said before, I think he's willing to take what little "scraps" of niceness he gets from her with his lost puppy routine. I think he's beginning to get a greater understanding of what she's truly like but because of his infatuation, he's still overlooking the reality of his situation: classic denial. D-Nile, as one of my friends puts it, is a pretty painful river to be on and it ain't the one in Egypt.

In Chloe's defense, she may have reached a turning point with her drunken stupor and started to do some self-evaluation about her life in the past and present. However, I think it's going to take Scott abusing her trust to get her to see past her own journey down D-Nile.

There's far too many people, both fictional and real, who ride down that damn river.

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
There's far too many people, both fictional and real, who ride down that damn river.What? No, I've never been near that river!!
[edit]But that friend of mine who was friendzoned, he has.

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
What? No, I've never been near that river!!
[edit]But that friend of mine who was friendzoned, he has.

Oh, I've taken some infrequent stints down D-Nile, though it was about completely different matters though, like career issues. :cameronanime13:

With other people I've met, they seem to hopelessly paddle down that damn river without a life vest, especially when it comes to relationships. :sheppardanime31:

Radahldo
November 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
So is it clear to anyone whether or not Eli is a virgin?

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
So is it clear to anyone whether or not Eli is a virgin?

Just once, I'd like to go out with a girl and not have it end with her crying.Signs point to yes but not for lack of trying.

Radahldo
November 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
What is he doing that has every girl end up in tears?

He also said: "the last time a girl that hot called me cute? ... never"

So I wondered if he's one of those guys that don't want to count the brief thing they had with an unattractive girl; just the rejection they've had from beautiful girls registers.

Aragon101
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Signs point to yes but not for lack of trying.

BWUAHAHAHA!!!

Ok i'm sorry but that line in golden :P

Maybe he'll truly pull a kirk and teach some Alien Woman to love. ;)

I can totally see that happen. Eli comes back and he's like "I just had sex with an alien woman where i didn't know if i was coming or going... I am Captain Kirk!

Riley off to the side rolls his eyes and goes "Great, now he's spread his genes across the cosmos. Some destiny he's got."

:lol:

okay okay, in all seriousness, what are the chances Eli will actually learn from this experience? Will he hang on and hold a torch or will he 'man up' and move on?

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Riley off to the side rolls his eyes and goes "Great, now he's spread his genes across the cosmos. Some destiny he's got."

:lol:

That's precisely the kind gem I would expect our Sgt. Riley to say. ;)

BTW, I noticed it looks like your account issues with the forum have been resolved. Congratulations! I had trouble signing on throughout the weekend but it appears everything is working 5 by 5.

Aragon101
November 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM
That's precisely the kind gem I would expect our Sgt. Riley to say. ;)

BTW, I noticed it looks like your account issues with the forum have been resolved. Congratulations! I had trouble signing on throughout the weekend but it appears everything is working 5 by 5.

Yes... Skydiver was nice enough to restore me to my old position :) Redid my post count and rep. even changed my name so it's less of a mouthful. I sent her a virtual shampoo basket :sheppard:

on topic, getting friendzoned sucks, but let's just hope Eli learns from this experience. It's not like there's alot of "options" on Destiny :p

I can see Eli making first contact with some race and he comes up with some babble of "uhh well you see. My race is going on a mission across the cosmos to spread our genetic diversity you see. So in order to foster relationships between our peoples... I, the most beautiful of my people, request to make love to the most beautifull of your people."

During which the rest of the crew will collectively groan :P

Yes i'm exageratting, but it's still damned funny to think about :D

MattSilver 3k
November 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think Eli's a virgin...

Correction: At least, I don't hope that he is. Because I bet my keyboard that his virginity would be explored in an entire episode - two-parter if nothing else has come up.

I can see Eli making first contact with some race and he comes up with some babble of "uhh well you see. My race is going on a mission across the cosmos to spread our genetic diversity you see. So in order to foster relationships between our peoples... I, the most beautiful of my people, request to make love to the most beautifull of your people."

Okay, but that I wouldn't mind watching! :D

Aragon101
November 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Okay, but that I wouldn't mind watching! :D

If David Blue can pull it off looking straight, i'd die laughing.

Eternal Density
November 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think Eli's a virgin...

Correction: At least, I don't hope that he is. Because I bet my keyboard that his virginity would be explored in an entire episode - two-parter if nothing else has come up. I bet my monitor they wouldn't do that.

As for Eli's speech, I'm pretty sure that would work against him as the aliens' standard of beauty are not likely to match his fantasies.

Aragon101
November 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I bet my monitor they wouldn't do that.

As for Eli's speech, I'm pretty sure that would work against him as the aliens' standard of beauty are not likely to match his fantasies.

Shhh! that was implied with Eli saying he was the most beautiful human ;)

SupremeLegate
November 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
In Chloe's defense, she may have reached a turning point with her drunken stupor and started to do some self-evaluation about her life in the past and present. However, I think it's going to take Scott abusing her trust to get her to see past her own journey down D-Nile.

I think that is exactly what they are doing with Chloe, and not just her but all of the characters.

There's far too many people, both fictional and real, who ride down that damn river.

Does it count if I think that Chloe actualy does have feelings for Eli but does not realize it yet?

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yes... Skydiver was nice enough to restore me to my old position :) Redid my post count and rep. even changed my name so it's less of a mouthful. I sent her a virtual shampoo basket :sheppard:

on topic, getting friendzoned sucks, but let's just hope Eli learns from this experience. It's not like there's alot of "options" on Destiny :p

During which the rest of the crew will collectively groan :P

Yes i'm exageratting, but it's still damned funny to think about :D

At first I was just cracking up thinking about Eli in an alien romance. But the more I think about it, believe it or not, I can definitely picture Eli developing an alien romance much more than I can see him developing a romance with Chloe. Maybe he would get together with an alien just to spite Chloe? It seems immature to be sure but it's the kind of thing people are likely to do in jealousy situations.

Phenom
November 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
At first I was just cracking up thinking about Eli in an alien romance. But the more I think about it, believe it or not, I can definitely picture Eli developing an alien romance much more than I can see him developing a romance with Chloe. Maybe he would get together with an alien just to spite Chloe? It seems immature to be sure but it's the kind of thing people are likely to do in jealousy situations.

It would be funnier if Eli then got FriendZoned by an alien being, who after some initial flirting, ended up banging Scott on the observation deck before crying its eye out to Eli after Scott ditched it for a kino with lipstick on.

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
It would be funnier if Eli then got FriendZoned by an alien being, who after some initial flirting, ended up banging Scott on the observation deck before crying its eye out to Eli after Scott ditched it for a kino with lipstick on.

Ah, but by the time something like that happened, Chloe would very likely have enlisted Riley's Kinospying skills to observe Scott's indiscretion. And very quickly, everybody--including the alien, Chloe, Eli, Vanessa James, and even Riley, would think Scott was being a total jerk for his infidelity.

Subsequently, Chloe somehow decides she likes Riley, while continuing to friendzone Eli. The alien, heartbroken by Scott's behavior, decides to leave the ship...but still being friends with Eli. In the meanwhile, Riley is still continuing his techno-bud friendship with Eli. :sheppard:

Friendzone x 3! :cameron:
Poor Eli!

Phenom
November 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Ah, but by the time something like that happened, Chloe would very likely have enlisted Riley's Kinospying skills to observe Scott's indiscretion. And very quickly, everybody--including the alien, Chloe, Eli, Vanessa James, and even Riley, would think Scott was being a total jerk for his infidelity.

Subsequently, Chloe somehow decides she likes Riley, while continuing to friendzone Eli. The alien, heartbroken by Scott's behavior, decides to leave the ship...but still being friends with Eli. In the meanwhile, Riley is still continuing his techno-bud friendship with Eli. :sheppard:

Friendzone x 3! :cameron:
Poor Eli!

haha....I just thought of everyone else on the ship dying, leaving just Eli and Chloe aboard with no way to return home, broken communication stones and nobody else for company besides each other......and Eli still being stuck in the friendzone!! I wonder if he would ever bring out the 'we need to procreate to save the species' line :D

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM
haha....I just thought of everyone else on the ship dying, leaving just Eli and Chloe aboard with no way to return home, broken communication stones and nobody else for company besides each other......and Eli still being stuck in the friendzone!! I wonder if he would ever bring out the 'we need to procreate to save the species' line :D

I'm sure Chloe would convince him to reprogram teh Kinos to "Vibrate"

Reminds me of Greer's threat with the Kinos :P I'm liking that guy more and more every episode.

Deevil
November 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM

He does know where he stands. He is a friend, and Chloe clearly said that in the episode.

Seriously, why is Chloe the bad person for not wanting to jump Eli - and Eli the innocent victim. Chloe is not responsible for the way Eli feels about her, and now it is up to Eli to do something about it. Whether it's detaching himself for her completely - but given the situation they are in that is doubtful, or sucking it up and realising it's, essentially puppy love or infatuation.

The ball is in his court, as Chloe hasn't done anything wrong.

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Thats gold mate. Vibrating Kinos....absolute gold.

Eli is destined to have one road block after another get in the way of him getting some special time with.....well anyone really.

Cold Fuzz
November 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Oh, I'm sure that he may that trot out that line but then Chloe will probably give him a certain look and then the "I think we should just be friends..." speech. He needs to just wake up out of that puppy dog infatuation schtick he's got going and move on already.

From what I saw with Kino Episode 15, I think that Lisa Park and Adam Brody may have got something going on so she's taken. If not Brody, then certainly Volker or one of the other scientists. I swear Eli's tunnel vision is so freakin' narrow that he can't see the big picture past that shower scene with Chloe in "Darkness."

Eli, my boy, wake up! Chloe is a nice girl but she is so not interested in you and she is so not what you are really looking for!

I think that is exactly what they are doing with Chloe, and not just her but all of the characters.

Does it count if I think that Chloe actualy does have feelings for Eli but does not realize it yet?

Well, the Destiny will certainly redefine these people and force them to grow. Either that or the time on that ship will utterly break them.

If Eli can get past this thing with Chloe, I think he's got the whole universe opening up before him. He's an essential part of the crew and everyone seems to like him. He's in a very good position right now but he can't see it!

As for the other crew members, I'm hoping that the Destiny will do this for them:

* Rush learns that people are not just a means to an end. The only way he can do this is distinguishing the gaping differences between his own interests and what is actually the greater good.
* Young forgives himself for his indiscretion. He accepts the idea that whether he likes it or not, he's the de facto leader of the crew and that, qualified or not, these are the people he has to make do with. No amount of self-deprecation will change their situation.
* Eli gets over Chloe and transcends the rather limited "Math Boy" identity he's forged for himself. He has shown that he can be as brave as one of the military guys but maintaining his empathy for others.
* Greer...doesn't need to grow. He's awesome just the way he is! :P
OK, well maybe work on the anger management thing.
* TJ becomes immensely skilled as a medic and as a leader. She develops true faith in herself.
* Scott finally forgives himself for failing the priest who raised him. I think a side-effect from this will be that his issues with how he handles relationships will hopefully improve.
* Chloe grows past the gaping hole left by her father's death and realizes that she also could be something greater than what she was before. With her background in politics, she could one day perhaps be a first-contact situation expert. That's a long way off but it's possible for someone like her--if that's what she wants. I personally believe that she has no feelings whatsoever for Eli and that won't change in the future.
* Camille Wray finds a sense of self other than her job.
* Brody & Park find happiness with each other. ;)
* Volker grows a backbone and starts forcing people like Rush to respect him rather than placating them. He's an intelligent, nice guy...but it is possible to be too nice. I had to learn that the hard way.

The potential for personal growth is great for this crew! :cameron:

syfy
November 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Sad that SF TV is that predictable these days-but I think you nailed it. I'd just add that Telfer will realized that Young is a good man/leader and they can do more by working together than being at odds. Oh yeah, and that Young was right to not back him for expedition leader because back then he was not ready...
Emily-Will forgive Young for cheating on her.

Chloe would be way out of Eli's league on earth. The writer's should keep it that way. No way she would want to do more than cuddle with Eli. Eli's best chance is to use the stones to come back to earth in other bodies and score that way. As they develop his character by showing him brave, smart etc... I'd bet that some to date minor character will show romantic interest in him. He'll pine for Chloe but she and what's his name are a believable couple and although they will probably 'breakup' to give the writer's more opportunities to torture Eli I'd bet Chloe/Marine guy stay an on/off again couple.

Honestly, the Eli/Chloe thing is not an interesting storyline to me. Watching it is painful. I had enough of dorks in space watching Wesley Crusher. Writers should steer appropriately.

SupremeLegate
November 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Chloe would be way out of Eli's league on earth. The writer's should keep it that way. No way she would want to do more than cuddle with Eli.

The whole "league" thing is complete BS.

I had enough of dorks in space watching Wesley Crusher. Writers should steer appropriately.

Oh come on, that is not even a fair comparison.

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Really? Do elaborate.

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Only someone in either the absolute top league or the absolute bottom would say something like that.

So the real question remains....which one are you? A glamour or a swamp monster?

Eternal Density
November 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Who's in my league? What league? Show me a league and I'll buy a ticket, I'll go to the meetings and I will try and find those people. Where are they?

-Will Tippin

SupremeLegate
November 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Only someone in either the absolute top league or the absolute bottom would say something like that.

So the real question remains....which one are you? A glamour or a swamp monster?

Well if you are going by just plain physical looks, which is how the “league” works then I am a 6, maybe a 7. Now if you are going by personality then I am an 8 or a 9.

Now attraction can be split into 3 sub groups: Physical, Physiological, and Emotional.

The “league” only focuses on the Physical, and if you are looking for just that type of relationship, as in meaningless sex, then the “league” is fine.

But when you are looking for a Physiological or Emotional relationship then the “league” is made irrelevant.

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Well if you are going by just plain physical looks, which is how the “league” works then I am a 6, maybe a 7. Now if you are going by personality then I am an 8 or a 9.

Now attraction can be split into 3 sub groups: Physical, Physiological, and Emotional.

The “league” only focuses on the Physical, and if you are looking for just that type of relationship, as in meaningless sex, then the “league” is fine.

But when you are looking for a Physiological or Emotional relationship then the “league” is made irrelevant.

Not necessarily. If you're a 5 in personality, are you really going to match with a 9 in personality?

Leagues exist in all three of what you've said. it's a balance of all three that puts you in your "league".

I'll admit that most of the time when the word "league" is used it's purely physical, but i've seen very attractive women who couldn't keep up to my personality. That lowers their overall IMO and lessens the chance i'll want anything to do with them physically. But then again, i've seen conventionally not so attractive women match or even exceed my personality, yet because they're not physically on par with me, i don't feel attracted in any more than platonic relationship way.

Yes it sounds superficial, but tough, that's life. That's why god invented gyms and plastic surgeons.

Everyone is beautiful in their own way, and looks are NOT everything, but you need a certain chemistry and balance of all three of what you've mentioned to reach a point of critical mass where a true and healthy relationship can form.

Azzers
November 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Back to the original point about leagues and Eli and Chloe. Physically, they are not the same league so to speak but I honestly don't see them as different as everyone else. Probably because they're both actors and even if David Blue isn't cut, he certainly isn't ugly and is probably above average.

I'm with Deevil, she just isn't interested. But that's a whole different thing that has nothing to do with "leagues." And it also may have a lot more to do with her relationship with Scott than any sort of indictment on looks.

As for leagues in general, I'm skeptical since preferences are so subjective anyway. If we polled 5 different people, we'd get 5 very different responses on who rates as what.

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The 'league' thing only applies to a very slight initial comparison of someone's compatability based on their looks alone. It sure is possible for people who may initially be out of one's league to then be compatible after they get to know each other, but that further analysis of relationships is so bloody boring that my fingers are actually going to sleep typing about it.

Accept the league thing for what it is. A way for us to quickly put people into groups based purely on looks, the same way we put people into groups for everything else on the planet.

SupremeLegate
November 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Back to the original point about leagues and Eli and Chloe. Physically, they are not the same league so to speak but I honestly don't see them as different as everyone else. Probably because they're both actors and even if David Blue isn't cut, he certainly isn't ugly and is probably above average.

Yeah, I should have first asked "How Eli is not in Chloe's league."

I'm with Deevil, she just isn't interested. But that's a whole different thing that has nothing to do with "leagues." And it also may have a lot more to do with her relationship with Scott than any sort of indictment on looks.

So if I am following you correctly she is not interested in Eli, at least partly, because she is with Scott. Well that would certainly put a dent in some people's Chloe = Slut argument, and that's good.

I still believe that there is something more than "Just Friend" between them, though I think it is unrealized, at least on Chloe’s part, and both of them will have to grow before it becomes realized.

As for leagues in general, I'm skeptical since preferences are so subjective anyway. If we polled 5 different people, we'd get 5 very different responses on who rates as what.

I just don't like the idea that some numbers can determine what women I have a chance with.

Eternal Density
November 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
various technical discussion of leaguesAnd if you're the sort of person who goes into that level of detail about this, then sorry, you've got no hope at all!

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM
And if you're the sort of person who goes into that level of detail about this, then sorry, you've got no hope at all!

haha...great call!! No point putting too much thought into the league theory. It is what it is.

Re the above from SupremeLegate as to 'Why isn't Eli in Chloe's league?' ..... Eli is a fat unemployed bloke. Chloe is a smoking hot senators daughter who has lips that sit nicely in third spot on the list of world's hottest lips behind Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox.

PG15
November 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Eli got Chlockblocked.

I don't care if that's entirely random to this thread right now; it had to be said.

Eternal Density
November 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
haha...great call!! No point putting too much thought into the league theory. It is what it is.I being an awkward software engineer exist squarely in negative territory as far as leagues go :P
Re the above from SupremeLegate as to 'Why isn't Eli in Chloe's league?' ..... Eli is a fat unemployed bloke. Chloe is a smoking hot senators daughter who has lips that sit nicely in third spot on the list of world's hottest lips behind Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox.Let it never be said that you don't know how to compliment a girl :D

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Eli got Chlockblocked.

I don't care if that's entirely random to this thread right now; it had to be said.

Dude I can't give you green due to the bromance rule, but even if I could it still wouldn't justify how awesome that comment was.

I may have to send you 5 bucks in the mail.

I being an awkward software engineer exist squarely in negative territory as far as leagues go :PLet it never be said that you don't know how to compliment a girl :D

Mate I am watching Beauty and the Geek at the moment...so I know that the only thing standing between you and Jennifer Hawkins is a haircut, some new threads and some dancing lessons. It would also help if you can juggle. If you can't juggle you may have to settle for Erin McNaught, who really wants to be Jen Hawkins but just isn't.

SupremeLegate
November 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Re the above from SupremeLegate as to 'Why isn't Eli in Chloe's league?' ..... Eli is a fat unemployed bloke.

So completely superficial reasons then, and thus is the reason I hate that the league exist.

Phenom
November 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
So completely superficial reasons then, and thus is the reason I hate that the league exist.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. Don't worry mate, I certainly am not sitting in some way high league scoffing at you lowly amateurs. We can all sit here together and scowl at the professionals sitting in their beautiful leagues :D

Eternal Density
November 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not actually in a league because that would imply that there are other people in the league besides me.

SupremeLegate
November 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM
We can all sit here together and scowl at the professionals sitting in their beautiful leagues :D

I'd rather nuke'em, lol.

Vapor
November 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I really hate when people just assume that Chloe could never be into Eli because of his shape. It's just an extremely shallow, narrow-minded viewpoint. Even if certain people might think that way in the real world, the fact is that's not how everyone operates.

And even if Chloe based her opinion of Eli solely on his looks, we have no idea if she would share the opinion that some people might have about how attractive he might be.

Using Scott as a basis for comparison isn't enough either, because I'm pretty sure most active daters don't date exact physical copies of the same person throughout their entire lives. It's like saying she wouldn't be into Greer because Scott is a white guy and she just wouldn't have any interest in a darker toned person.

AlexanderII
November 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
As a 23 year old guy in a top US university (which means I am surrounded by people exactly like Chloe) I feel like adding my two cents to this whole discussion. Ohh, I must also add I myself suffer from a bad case of nice guy syndrome so I understand the whole situation quite well (although I am not stuck in a ship half the universe away).

Eli definitively know from this episode that he has been friendzone, however, I am quite sure he knew a while ago that he stood no chance with Chloe whatsoever. Nonetheless, because of being a nice guy and because of inmaturity (specially emotional inmaturity) he still retains the hope that she will change her mind and realize that he is there for more than sole friendship.

From Chloe's perpective it is easy to see how in a situation she feels totally alone and useless she has come to rely on Eli who is offering a hand and support. However, it is not difficult to understand her decision to chose Scott over Eli. I mean one is an out of shape, insecure, socially inept, unemployed boy; while the other one is a secure soldier with a leadership position and socially skillful.

In a more personal but still related note I can totally understand how Eli feels and it will take him a long time to get over it, especially since he is such a nice guy that he will still remain a friend to her. It will hurt him, but make him stronger over the long run.

If I may be permitted to talk about the leagues a bit also. There is definitively a side of them that plays into this whole situation. Both Chloe and Eli are very young people, and as one of them and surrounded by them, I can tell you that shallowness is pretty common and you don't tend to go for people that are either outside your physical AND emotional leagues.

PG15
November 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Dude I can't give you green due to the bromance rule, but even if I could it still wouldn't justify how awesome that comment was.

I may have to send you 5 bucks in the mail.

I'm fine with that. ;)

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
The leagues issue CAN be broken, but Eli is nowhere near that. The absolute best thing he could do right now is worry about himself. Get himself to a position where he's secure in his own confidence and go from there.

Of course that's likely not going to happen, because it's not dark and gritty. I still fully expect that the universe will conspire to push Eli and Chloe together through one way or another. Why else would so much focus be put on them?

wait till we get to the alternate dimensions, and Eli and Chloe are the leaders of the Destiny with a child on the way ;)

Or it could be the other way, TPTB could be focusing on them in order to break Eli's heart to the very limit and then go "See! See! We don't make crazy ships anymore!" :P

On topic, Chris Rock talked about the friendzone in one of his shows, it was hilarious, yet VERY true :D

PG15
November 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Of course that's likely not going to happen, because it's not dark and gritty.

It's also not realistic.

To those of you annoyed at Eli for his attitude, or pity the poor boy for the same reason, allow me, someone who OWNS the Friendzone, to tell you this:

It ain't as easy to change as you think it is, and sometimes, it's not even desirable.

Speaking for myself, this is who I am. Ok, I don't "score" often - but despite that, I'm comfortable with myself, I'm happy with myself. In fact, one of my friends just told me that I'm a "happy person" a few weeks ago, and this is true. Sure, sometimes I'm frustrated with not having a girlfriend, but at other times I'm very glad that I get to do whatever I want because I have no commitments to anyone.

I've been in Eli's situation a countless number of times, and despite the frustration, I have a pretty carefree life (apart from the incredible stress from University, natch), and I like to keep it that way, for now.

One of my good buddies once told me that everyone is subconsciously in the relationship they want to be in, even if consciously they seem unhappy. I like to think that this is true most of the time (barring the obviously disturbing relationships, like the despicable one Cold Fuzz mentioned earlier regarding the abused wife).

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
It's also not realistic.

To those of you annoyed at Eli for his attitude, or pity the poor boy for the same reason, allow me, someone who OWNS the Friendzone, to tell you this:

It ain't as easy to change as you think it is, and sometimes, it's not even desirable.

Speaking for myself, this is who I am. Ok, I don't "score" often - but despite that, I'm comfortable with myself, I'm happy with myself. In fact, one of my friends just told me that I'm a "happy person" a few weeks ago, and this is true. Sure, sometimes I'm frustrated with not having a girlfriend, but at other times I'm very glad that I get to do whatever I want because I have no commitments to anyone.

I've been in Eli's situation a countless number of times, and despite the frustration, I have a pretty carefree life (apart from the incredible stress from University, natch), and I like to keep it that way, for now.

One of my good buddies once told me that everyone is subconsciously in the relationship they want to be in, even if consciously they seem unhappy. I like to think that this is true most of the time (barring the obviously disturbing relationships, like the despicable one Cold Fuzz mentioned earlier regarding the abused wife).

Don't think i'm being acerbic, but i never said it was easy.

I was in your situation once. and it was hell clawing out of it. But i did. Now i have the choice to either be in a relationship or not. (I'm currently not but it's my decision) the CHOICE is a much stronger appeal to me than frustration.

I'm not saying Eli will have an easy choice to make, and it's like that with everything in life, it's hard to succeed and 99% its a hard choice. I suffered through some serious frustrations before i started to succeed, but i've never looked back.

Eli's got the same choice, he's got some decent role models and people he can learn from, so it's up to him now.

Don't think i'm being offensive because that's really not the point of this post. i'm just telling you the way i see it from my shoes.

PG15
November 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm not offended. Your post was quite enlightening, actually. :)

Whatever the case, Eli has a long ways to go, and I believe he can get there. I just don't want to see him suddenly "man-up" so to speak and be all confident and stuff, because I don't see that as realistic at all.

Aragon101
November 10th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm not offended. Your post was quite enlightening, actually. :)

Whatever the case, Eli has a long ways to go, and I believe he can get there. I just don't want to see him suddenly "man-up" so to speak and be all confident and stuff, because I don't see that as realistic at all.

There's a little merit to the idea of "faking it" until you're "making it" because your forcing yourself ot do things that you're not used to, and hence getting used to it.

Nothing beats experience htough, and unfortunately for Eli, he's only got a few options on the ship :P that's why it's kinda odd for me to see him work on himself. i'm intrigued with how they're going to move forward with him :)

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Don't think i'm being acerbic, but i never said it was easy.

I was in your situation once. and it was hell clawing out of it. But i did. Now i have the choice to either be in a relationship or not. (I'm currently not but it's my decision) the CHOICE is a much stronger appeal to me than frustration.

I'm not saying Eli will have an easy choice to make, and it's like that with everything in life, it's hard to succeed and 99% its a hard choice. I suffered through some serious frustrations before i started to succeed, but i've never looked back.

Eli's got the same choice, he's got some decent role models and people he can learn from, so it's up to him now.

Don't think i'm being offensive because that's really not the point of this post. i'm just telling you the way i see it from my shoes.

I totally know where you're coming from on this one. Having a choice about what relationship you're in is far, far better than settling for a friendship all the while hoping to be in a romantic relationship. It's also much better to choose to not be in a romantic relationship at all rather than settling for an unequal one. I've encountered both situations already and I would rather be in no relationship at all than tolerate either one of those situations.

My last long-term relationship (it lasted two years) ended because of career differences. Thankfully the ending to that particular relationship wasn't at all acrimonious, and it simply made sense to both of us to go our separate ways. This is especially good since she's now in Texas and I'm here in California. Now I'm in a position where I can choose to be in a relationship if I want. Right now, I'm happily uncoupled and it's by choice. :D That may or may not change after I finish training at a police academy but right now not being in a relationship is nice and uncomplicated. I can focus on career issues and other matters. :cameron:

So I guess the point of this is that Eli has a choice. If I'm a little flustered by his behavior it's because he believes he doesn't when that's most certainly not the case. And more importantly, he believes he doesn't have any choices because he doubts his own self-worth. That is something I'm really hoping will change because I think many of us out here can see his merits even if he doesn't seem to.

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Fortunately for me I haven't had an opportunity to be friendzoned for a long time...
or is that unfortunate? Eh, I don't really care any more. Staying single is cheap and trouble-free. :P

Aragon101
November 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Fortunately for me I haven't had an opportunity to be friendzoned for a long time...
or is that unfortunate? Eh, I don't really care any more. Staying single is cheap and trouble-free. :P

Chris Rock said it best, Single and Lonely, or Married and Bored :P

I ended up ranting, feel free to laugh :P

Being single is hilarious to me, i'm quite literally the only 22 year old in my group of people i grew up with who doesn't have kids already, or in a commited relationship, i've got school paid for and i'm just happily coasting ^_^ I get older folks asking me "Oh where's your wife?" and i go "I dunno, i haven't met her yet." and they just laugh and go "Good man!"

OMG This is so not meant as racist, but i'm spanish, and my parent's friends who have children are trying to hook me up with their kids who are like 18-20 and looking! I've got one guy in Nicaragua calling my house saying he knows a girl who's looking for a guy. I got contacted by the daughter of an old family friend we haven't seen in 20 years! :sheppard33:

I don't have TIME for that sort of thing! I'm schooling and having fun dammit!

:P

it's downright hilarious to see people's reactions when i flirt, i have fun, but i'm not tied down to anything. It wasn't always that way and i'm DAMN happy to be able to enjoy it now!

To actually say something about the topic at hand )I actually think that's kind of Eli's problem to a degree... i think he's looking for something long term when i doubt he's had anything SHORT term. A long term relationship is a hard commitment and he doesn't seem like the kind to stick to it beyond a little horizontal jogging action :p

it takes a long time for something like that to happen. If they decide to hook Eli and Chloe up in the second half of the second season... i can see that. as long as he actually improves over the course of this first! :)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/Smileys/MathBoykinotestdraft.gif?t=1257933424

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Chris Rock said it best, Single and Lonely, or Married and Bored :P

I ended up ranting, feel free to laugh :P

Being single is hilarious to me, i'm quite literally the only 22 year old in my group of people i grew up with who doesn't have kids already, or in a commited relationship, i've got school paid for and i'm just happily coasting ^_^ I get older folks asking me "Oh where's your wife?" and i go "I dunno, i haven't met her yet." and they just laugh and go "Good man!"

OMG This is so not meant as racist, but i'm spanish, and my parent's friends who have children are trying to hook me up with their kids who are like 18-20 and looking! I've got one guy in Nicaragua calling my house saying he knows a girl who's looking for a guy. I got contacted by the daughter of an old family friend we haven't seen in 20 years! :sheppard33:

I don't have TIME for that sort of thing! I'm schooling and having fun dammit!

it's downright hilarious to see people's reactions when i flirt, i have fun, but i'm not tied down to anything. It wasn't always that way and i'm DAMN happy to be able to enjoy it now!

To actually say something about the topic at hand )I actually think that's kind of Eli's problem to a degree... i think he's looking for something long term when i doubt he's had anything SHORT term. A long term relationship is a hard commitment and he doesn't seem like the kind to stick to it beyond a little horizontal jogging action :p

it takes a long time for something like that to happen. If they decide to hook Eli and Chloe up in the second half of the second season... i can see that. as long as he actually improves over the course of this first! :)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/Smileys/MathBoykinotestdraft.gif?t=1257933424

Completely off-topic, but I have to ask: Where did you get the Math Boy smiley? Is there a Riley smiley around somewhere? ;)

PG15
November 11th, 2009, 01:08 AM
OMG ELI ICON.

What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted by the OMG ELI ICON. :p

Aragon101
November 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I made that smiley :D i remember someone saying they wanted it (forget who) and i spent like an hour remaking the Sam one into Eli :P

Hmmm might try and make a Riley one later. What should he say?

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM
OMG ELI ICON.

What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted by the OMG ELI ICON. :p

My dad told me a few times that when I was a kid, I was distracted very easily by bright, shiny objects. There was this time--

Oooh where did that Eli gif come from? Did somebody on the forums make that?!

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I made that smiley :D i remember someone saying they wanted it (forget who) and i spent like an hour remaking the Sam one into Eli :P

Hmmm might try and make a Riley one later. What should he say?

That's a good question. I need to think of a good list of Rileyisms. Hmmm...

*starts thinking about dialogue*

MattSilver 3k
November 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM
That's a good question. I need to think of a good list of Rileyisms. Hmmm...

*starts thinking about dialogue*

"There goes my ration for the day."

"My family thinks I'm on sabbatical in Africa."

"What happened to being smart?"

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM
My advice to Eli is: hang out on forums and/or write fanfiction and you won't have time to care about Chloe either as a friend or otherwise. Problem solved!

line for Riley:
"Do we really?"
[edit]Hey Tweeple, I bet David Blue would get a kick out of the Math Boy sign.

Aragon101
November 11th, 2009, 01:22 AM
My advice to Eli is: hang out on forums and/or write fanfiction and you won't have time to care about Chloe either as a friend or otherwise. Problem solved!

line for Riley:
"Do we really?"

LMAO! Greenage for that :p

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
"There goes my ration for the day."

"My family thinks I'm on sabbatical in Africa."

"What happened to being smart?"

I like "My family thinks I'm on sabbatical in Africa." Just something about the deadpan matter-of-fact tone just cracked me up when he said that. But "Do we really?" is great too. I'll go with the second one. :sheppard:

line for Riley:
"Do we really?"
[edit]Hey Tweeple, I bet David Blue would get a kick out of the Math Boy sign.

Oh, you are so getting greened for that one! :cameron:

Aragon101
November 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM
"Do we really?" seems the best for me, but i'll make a few simple ones with the others. :P just let me load up the program :D

I don't suppose there's already a Riley Smiley out there i can base it off? I hate designing em from scratch :P

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
"Do we really?" seems the best for me, but i'll make a few simple ones with the others. :P just let me load up the program :D

I don't suppose there's already a Riley Smiley out there i can base it off? I hate designing em from scratch :P

You would be the first in the forum that I know of who has made a Riley smiley. When it's done, I'd give you a 500 green if I could! :o

Eternal Density
November 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Oh, you are so getting greened for that one! :cameron:For which part of the post?

Part of the reason I suggested "Do we really?" beyond it being a great line is that it's not too long :D

Aragon101
November 11th, 2009, 02:31 AM
For which part of the post?

Part of the reason I suggested "Do we really?" beyond it being a great line is that it's not too long :D

I'll have my first draft ready in a minute. No animated yet, just a simple Riley standing there. (hope i got his hair right :P)

Alright, this is just a first draft, still need to try and add more distinctively "Riley" look to it :P

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/Smileys/th_Riley-DoWeReallyFirstDraft.gif

Eventually this'll have a full eyeroll. but how's his hair? any suggestions?

Uhh just to stay on topic, Eli should learn from Riley that carefree explorer nature, It'll help with his growth to go from couch potato gamer to Indiana Jones wannabe :P

Cold Fuzz
November 11th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I'll have my first draft ready in a minute. No animated yet, just a simple Riley standing there. (hope i got his hair right :P)

Alright, this is just a first draft, still need to try and add more distinctively "Riley" look to it :P

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/Smileys/th_Riley-DoWeReallyFirstDraft.gif

Eventually this'll have a full eyeroll. but how's his hair? any suggestions?

Uhh just to stay on topic, Eli should learn from Riley that carefree explorer nature, It'll help with his growth to go from couch potato gamer to Indiana Jones wannabe :P

That is awesome! Thanks a bunch for making that. The hair definitely is Riley-like. You're right about Eli learning from Riley. From what I've observed in the Kinosodes and in the main episodes, they've got this techno-buddy thing going that pretty cool. :sheppard:

wargrafix
November 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Well we know what kinda wakeup alarm Chloe will be:

"*****, *****, whineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

MattSilver 3k
November 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Well we know what kinda wakeup alarm Chloe will be:

"*****, *****, whineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Angela V
November 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Totally agree. :)

I believe the female version is called "Just one of the guys". :D

RJLCyberPunk
November 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Yeah that sucked for him!

Col.Foley
November 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Am I the only one who does not feel the least bit sorry for him....but I actually feel happy for him?

Phenom
November 12th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I believe the female version is called "Just one of the guys". :D

Or....she is a top bloke :D

SupremeLegate
November 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Am I the only one who does not feel the least bit sorry for him....but I actually feel happy for him?

Please explain...

Col.Foley
November 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Please explain...
Gladly:D
I just think that there are a lot worse things that he can be in regards to her. Sure it hurts, but I have been here myself. It is better to be that, to be a friend, and to be cared for by the woman you have feelings for then to be hated, despised, or ignored.
Furthermore, while it is clear that she is a very shallow character at times, her relationship with Eli indicates that she might still have depth. She is obviously interested in....other people...but yet still has time and attention to be friendly with Eli, not only friendly but very friendly. Which is something that most 'shallow' girls would not do...in my experience and in media. That they would toatally ignore the geeky guy for the much cooler boy friend dude. She has not done this. Its good on her, imo, though I know it also hurts.

Aragon101
November 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Gladly:D
I just think that there are a lot worse things that he can be in regards to her. Sure it hurts, but I have been here myself. It is better to be that, to be a friend, and to be cared for by the woman you have feelings for then to be hated, despised, or ignored.
Furthermore, while it is clear that she is a very shallow character at times, her relationship with Eli indicates that she might still have depth. She is obviously interested in....other people...but yet still has time and attention to be friendly with Eli, not only friendly but very friendly. Which is something that most 'shallow' girls would not do...in my experience and in media. That they would toatally ignore the geeky guy for the much cooler boy friend dude. She has not done this. Its good on her, imo, though I know it also hurts.

Your logic is based on a high population of similarly aged people.

On earth, i might even agree with you if Chloe continued to hang around him with the rest of her friends around and didn't just use him as an emotional tam.. uhh... tissue. But it's an unhealthy relationship even if it's platonic if Chloe is simply using him for support without giving anything back (emotional support in this case)

What you see as depth, i see as desperation. it's not like Chloe can really relate to anyone else on the ship, they'r eall older or military or scientists. Camille is the only other politician as far as I know and for some reason i don't think they're very compatible friendship wise.

Basically, Chloe is using Eli as an emotional crutch because he's the only "normal" person around she feels she can talk to besides Scott who can take care of her "other" needs. If Eli were happy being her friend, you'd be right, but it's been clearly demonstrated that he wants more.

Col.Foley
November 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Your logic is based on a high population of similarly aged people.

On earth, i might even agree with you if Chloe continued to hang around him with the rest of her friends around and didn't just use him as an emotional tam.. uhh... tissue. But it's an unhealthy relationship even if it's platonic if Chloe is simply using him for support without giving anything back (emotional support in this case)

What you see as depth, i see as desperation. it's not like Chloe can really relate to anyone else on the ship, they'r eall older or military or scientists. Camille is the only other politician as far as I know and for some reason i don't think they're very compatible friendship wise.

Basically, Chloe is using Eli as an emotional crutch because he's the only "normal" person around she feels she can talk to besides Scott who can take care of her "other" needs. If Eli were happy being her friend, you'd be right, but it's been clearly demonstrated that he wants more.OK
How so? Maybe you are right, but I honestly do not see it this way because right now he does not seem to need any emotional help, at all....beyond the feelings he has for Chloe that is. We just have not seen her needing to be there for him yet...maybe she will be at a later date? And maybe he wants to be there for her, which it does seem like he does. He is just a nice helpful and kind guy.
Perfectly valid point.
He can be happy being her friend while wanting more.

Aragon101
November 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
OK
How so? Maybe you are right, but I honestly do not see it this way because right now he does not seem to need any emotional help, at all....beyond the feelings he has for Chloe that is. We just have not seen her needing to be there for him yet...maybe she will be at a later date? And maybe he wants to be there for her, which it does seem like he does. He is just a nice helpful and kind guy.
Perfectly valid point.
He can be happy being her friend while wanting more.

I recommend you try the above bolded. If you have, then you understand where i'm coming from.

Eli doesn't look like he needs support, but then again he's got more friends than Chloe, he's got Rush, Riley, Scott, even Greer to a degree. That's not counting everyone else. it's easier for Eli to make those friendships because he's just naive enough for it to be helpful. Chloe on the other hand has lost her dad, lost her family, and just lost her friends back home, She may not even realize it, but being around Eli gives her a sense of stability because he's relatively stable.

but really what positive does Eli get out of it?

I'm not saying he should just abandon her given teh circumstances, but i AM saying he should forget about any feelings beyond friendship and focus on other things. If something comes up later, he should direct energy towards it THEN, not now since all she's really doing is hanging around him for consolation and (in my personal opinion) entertainment.

Col.Foley
November 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I recommend you try the above bolded. If you have, then you understand where i'm coming from.

Eli doesn't look like he needs support, but then again he's got more friends than Chloe, he's got Rush, Riley, Scott, even Greer to a degree. That's not counting everyone else. it's easier for Eli to make those friendships because he's just naive enough for it to be helpful. Chloe on the other hand has lost her dad, lost her family, and just lost her friends back home, She may not even realize it, but being around Eli gives her a sense of stability because he's relatively stable.

but really what positive does Eli get out of it?

I'm not saying he should just abandon her given teh circumstances, but i AM saying he should forget about any feelings beyond friendship and focus on other things. If something comes up later, he should direct energy towards it THEN, not now since all she's really doing is hanging around him for consolation and (in my personal opinion) entertainment.I agree with you fully on this, and do understand where you are coming from.
And Eli is quite stable I agree with you there, but I do not find him very naive.

Aragon101
November 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I agree with you fully on this, and do understand where you are coming from.
And Eli is quite stable I agree with you there, but I do not find him very naive.

When i say Naive, i mean the same kind of Naivety that Jonas Quinn had. A sort of optimism for no reason other than his personality. Most everyone else except Riley is still pretty downcast (except Rush of course but that's an exception).

At least Eli isn't as bad as Jonas in that i want to slap that goofy smile off him :P

Col.Foley
November 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
When i say Naive, i mean the same kind of Naivety that Jonas Quinn had. A sort of optimism for no reason other than his personality. Most everyone else except Riley is still pretty downcast (except Rush of course but that's an exception).

At least Eli isn't as bad as Jonas in that i want to slap that goofy smile off him :P
Jonas was awesome:P
I think that kind of personality is someone that they are all going to be needing, all of them. Even Chloe.
While I agree with you that he should try and forget his feelings for her, I do not have too great of pity for his friendzonedness, because it is a lot better then the alternative.

Aragon101
November 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Jonas was awesome:P
I think that kind of personality is someone that they are all going to be needing, all of them. Even Chloe.
While I agree with you that he should try and forget his feelings for her, I do not have too great of pity for his friendzonedness, because it is a lot better then the alternative.

we're gonna have to agree to disagree on tihs one.

IMO, Eli sin't going to give up his torch for her. And because of that, he'll start to resent Scott AND Chloe. The "friendship" will fester and it'll be detrimental to him rather than beneficial. If he left well enough alone, then he'd have an easier time.

look at the scene with the Kino and the holding hands. It was pretty obvious he was hurt by that. He's just going to continue to hurt himself by watching Chloe and Scott grow closer (as TPTB have implied they will)

Col.Foley
November 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
we're gonna have to agree to disagree on tihs one.

IMO, Eli sin't going to give up his torch for her. And because of that, he'll start to resent Scott AND Chloe. The "friendship" will fester and it'll be detrimental to him rather than beneficial. If he left well enough alone, then he'd have an easier time.

look at the scene with the Kino and the holding hands. It was pretty obvious he was hurt by that. He's just going to continue to hurt himself by watching Chloe and Scott grow closer (as TPTB have implied they will)
He probably won't.....
Indeed.
But its early yet, and he might get over it enough not to resent Scott, because it is indicated that he does not have any resentment for Scott as of this point in time.

SupremeLegate
November 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Well it looks like Eli has done the typical nice guy move and accepted his “Just Friends” status with Chloe, while still holding a torch for her.

And from what we saw in "Time" I would say he has no ill feelings toward Scott, course if Scott wrongs Chloe that might change.

Col.Foley
November 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Well it looks like Eli has done the typical nice guy move and accepted his “Just Friends” status with Chloe, while still holding a torch for her.

And from what we saw in "Time" I would say he has no ill feelings toward Scott, course if Scott wrongs Chloe that might change.
Precisely. It is possible for people to do that...more then possible actually. If you do truly care for someone you will accept what they do...but just be there for them if things do go amiss.

SupremeLegate
November 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Precisely. It is possible for people to do that...more then possible actually. If you do truly care for someone you will accept what they do...but just be there for them if things do go amiss.

Yup, which shows that Eli is not as immature as he “acts.” And I think the reason he is that was is because he had to grow up quick when his father left, so I think his immaturity is an escape valve.