PDA

View Full Version : Young's Opening to Johanson

WindowsME
November 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
As the opening scene which was portrayed as an alleged dream, shows Young confessing to TJ that he never meant to hurt her.

Do you feel the aforementioned "dream" was Young thinking of TJ as a similar beautiful woman in comparison with his wife and was reflecting his thoughts and emotions upon her or do you feel TJ is often the woman Emily is referring to about a previous relationship being over?

Arlan
November 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
The scene at Young's house pretty much confirms Young had something going on the side with TJ. Emily talks about her having issues with him being stuck on the ship with "her."

Cecil Brax
November 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The scene at Young's house pretty much confirms Young had something going on the side with TJ. Emily talks about her having issues with him being stuck on the ship with "her."

I must have missed that last part, but I'll go back and rewatch it. If that's what she said, then it sounds like Young confessed to his wife what might have happened between him and TJ. Which could explain why she had so much difficulty forgiving him.

- CB

the fifth man
November 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I must have missed that last part, but I'll go back and rewatch it. If that's what she said, then it sounds like Young confessed to his wife what might have happened between him and TJ. Which could explain why she had so much difficulty forgiving him.

- CB

Yeah, that is what she said.

Cecil Brax
November 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM

I bet that is part of the reason she has such a hard time with him being on the ship and forgiving him then. He probably went and admited it to her. Young certainly seems the type when he does something wrong to go and fess up to it. That's the impression that I get.

- CB

Count
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
It's not the first time Young has exchanged TJ for his wife (remember Air during his seizure?) It could be simple projection

escyos
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
theres a breif scene in an SGU preview where we see TJ kissing Young...although with the LRC who knows who it really might have been

MattSilver 3k
November 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Young said he never meant to hurt TJ... and TJ tries to leave the Stargate program and go for her scholarship... But she ends up on the Destiny instead...

Such a rich backstory to be fleshed out later, and the breadcrumbs we get as we go are cool.

garhkal
November 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I am thinking it was more of a flashback to before Air Pt 1.

Sifr
November 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I kinda prefer TJ to Young's wife, that broad is one seriously high-maintainence chick in need of getting over herself...

AnnieS
November 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I kinda prefer TJ to Young's wife, that broad is one seriously high-maintainence chick in need of getting over herself...

I agree

escyos
November 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM

well her husband did cheat on her and then leave for another planet, id be annoyed at my husband if he did that....then again id be annoyed at myself for having a husband considering im a guy :S

Vapor
November 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM

... Well, I prefer TJ as well, just because she's generally awesome and Emily is pretty much only there to be Young's wife (so far).

But what makes Emily high-maintainance? She is the biggest victim in their relationship, because she was the one who was cheated on. She's done literally nothing wrong the entire time we've seen her. It's her right to dismiss Young because he screwed up.

Young is just lucky that her feelings for him are still strong and she may still find it in her heart to forgive his mistakes.

CaramelMonkey
November 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Well, Young sucks for cheating in the first place.

syfygal47
November 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I had always thought that Young and TJ were too familiar with each other. Whether it was a dream or not, there is something going on there. And his wife knows it too. The last scene of this episode where Telford goes to visit Young's wife, I hope we will see her reaction in an upcoming episode.

Count
November 7th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Did anyone catch Emily Young's comment near the end of the episode, along the lines of "I couldn't deal with it, the thought of you being trapped on that ship... with HER".

Could TJ be the reason Young left his wife or vise versa?

Sonicbluemustang
November 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I had always thought that Young and TJ were too familiar with each other..

They gave suttle hints in previous eps to leed up to this.

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM

i'd take TJ oove rmy wife any day :weiranime42:

jelgate
November 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
i'd take TJ oove rmy wife any day :weiranime42:

You're not married:P

Maxum
November 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I think the person that Young had the affair with was TJ, as the opening suggest. What is curious about the opening, however, is why does Young apologize for not meaning to hurt TJ, which implies that the relationship is now over and yet, TJ leans over and kisses Young. I couldn't figure out what Young was thinking about in context to what we know about the episode.

I saw chemistry between Young and TJ, and frankly, I was hoping that something would develop between them. I figured that Young and his wife were over, and when Young took off his wedding ring in "Light," I thought that was the signal that Young was free to move on. It's good that the show is not that predictable. I think Young genuinely loves his wife. During his final minutes during "Light," Young chose to spend those moments alone in his room when he could have just as easily chosen to spend them with TJ, and I don't mean in any romantic sense.

I don't condone having affairs, but in the case of men and women who travel intergalactically, the chances of being trapped, marooned, or in danger is pretty strong, and I can see relationships developing. Most of the Stargate crews (SG-1, Atlantis, etc) shows the characters as loners or divorced. I like the fact that Young was so determined to try one last time to reconcile with his wife.

FallenAngelII
November 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
There have been subtle hints of a TJ-Young affair before this. Like when Camille said that there must've been a reason why she stayed, TJ denied it all, but Camille remained suspicious and then when she talked about it with Young, Young said "It wasn't me". And then his wife actually said that she couldn't stand the thought of him stuck on that ship with "her".

Um... yah. Confirmation, much?

WindowsME
November 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think the person that Young had the affair with was TJ, as the opening suggest. What is curious about the opening, however, is why does Young apologize for not meaning to hurt TJ, which implies that the relationship is now over and yet, TJ leans over and kisses Young. I couldn't figure out what Young was thinking about in context to what we know about the episode.

I saw chemistry between Young and TJ, and frankly, I was hoping that something would develop between them. I figured that Young and his wife were over, and when Young took off his wedding ring in "Light," I thought that was the signal that Young was free to move on. It's good that the show is not that predictable. I think Young genuinely loves his wife. During his final minutes during "Light," Young chose to spend those moments alone in his room when he could have just as easily chosen to spend them with TJ, and I don't mean in any romantic sense.

I don't condone having affairs, but in the case of men and women who travel intergalactically, the chances of being trapped, marooned, or in danger is pretty strong, and I can see relationships developing. Most of the Stargate crews (SG-1, Atlantis, etc) shows the characters as loners or divorced. I like the fact that Young was so determined to try one last time to reconcile with his wife.

Although your decision is very observant, I feel Young simply took off the ring as he was faced with death and in a way the ring being removed from his finger symbolized that. In reference too, Col. Young spending time with T.J, that isn't possible as T.J was on the shuttle to the third planet orbiting the Red Giant.

Maxum
November 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Although your decision is very observant, I feel Young simply took off the ring as he was faced with death and in a way the ring being removed from his finger symbolized that. In reference too, Col. Young spending time with T.J, that isn't possible as T.J was on the shuttle to the third planet orbiting the Red Giant.

Duh. I forgot she was on the shuttle. At the same time, they didn't have a scene together considering that they were once involved and Young was most probably going to die. I still think Young would have kept the ring on, but who knows.

Vapor
November 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
When Young took off the ring and started crying, I just assumed that he was sad that he wouldn't make it home to his wife again.

As far as the dream goes, when Young says "I never meant to hurt you" or something, I assume this means TJ wasn't aware of Young's wife when the affair started. Either that, or she thought Young was planning to leave his wife... which is just an awful situation to be in, I'm sure.

Bookwyrm
November 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It can't be Camille Emily was referring too, because she's lesbian and has a partner. Chloe is too young, although considering she bounces from guy to guy on a whim, it wouldn't surprise me. :P TJ is the only one it could be. They certainly seem uncomfortable around each other, which signals some sort of history and Young did dream about kissing her.

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Hey were can I see that interview you have in your signature.

Replicator Todd
November 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Sometimes people have crazy dreams that have nothing to do with their intentions or feelings.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Chloe is too young, although considering she bounces from guy to guy on a whim, it wouldn't surprise me. :P

Chloe arrived on Icarus with Eli. She knew about the program from her dad but had not been on the program, nor on the planet

Joben
November 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Seriously, how can people watch the episode and not get that it was telling you exactly that Young and TJ were having an affair and that was the trouble between Young and his wife?

We're not deciphering Enigma here. There wasn't exactly much to interpret.

pipi
November 7th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I like the fact that Young was so determined to try one last time to reconcile with his wife.

It's called a goodbye root ;)

That whole TJ dream was so unexpected. May explain why she didn't leave the base as scheduled in episode 1. Enjoying her goodbye time with Young, seems to be a pattern.

FallenAngelII
November 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Sometimes people have crazy dreams that have nothing to do with their intentions or feelings.
This is TV. And it's not "Medium", it's "Stargate". Normally on TV, people dream exactly what they're feeling since the PTB assume the audience is too stupid to interpret intricate dreams.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Normally on TV, people dream exactly what they're feeling since the PTB assume the audience is too stupid to interpret intricate dreams.

*Feeling* yes but that doesn't make it a fact...another common occurrence on TV is called a 'red herring'

Not saying you are wrong just think you are making assumptions based on contrivances that the writers may not bind themselves to

akren
November 8th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Seriously, how can people watch the episode and not get that it was telling you exactly that Young and TJ were having an affair and that was the trouble between Young and his wife?

We're not deciphering Enigma here. There wasn't exactly much to interpret.

I agree, I thought it was made obvious/inferenced rather well in this episode, & I am sure we'll see more back story as to why later on in the series.

Vapor
November 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Young and TJ's relationship never seemed like something I needed to "guess" about. I mean, I literally "knew" they had been together in the first hour of the series. And I hadn't (and still haven't) seen any spoilers or promos that apparently showed them together. I just saw them interact and put it together.

The dream in this episode pretty much just solidified my assumption.

drake122
November 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Regarding the opening scene, I can only say that ausculation through a jacket is worthless... so TJ as a medic is epic fail! (and all doctors around the world who do this)

Vapor
November 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Well it was a dream. Young's dream, in fact. >_>

Aragon101
November 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Young said he never meant to hurt TJ... and TJ tries to leave the Stargate program and go for her scholarship... But she ends up on the Destiny instead...

Such a rich backstory to be fleshed out later, and the breadcrumbs we get as we go are cool.

I whole heartedly agree with you.

*shifty eyes*

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Hell yeah, Emily goes, "just to know that you're stuck on that ship, with HER!" definitely suggests that TJ was the other woman!

:sheppard:

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2009, 05:31 AM
*Feeling* yes but that doesn't make it a fact...another common occurrence on TV is called a 'red herring'

Not saying you are wrong just think you are making assumptions based on contrivances that the writers may not bind themselves to
I'm sorry, when was the last time you saw the Stargate PTB insert red herrings into SG, especially those in the form of dreams? SG is not BSG. The PTB's target audience is young heterosexual males. As such, the show's not going to be very sophisticated but instead straight forward.

Also, there were a lot of hints of a TJ-Young affair before this.