PDA

View Full Version : What's the IOA's real agenda?

Arlan
November 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Do they really want to get the Destiny crew home, or are they just making another power play within the Stargate program.

Another disaster where even more people die and Ancient technology is lost could lead to egg on the face of the military running the program and be impetus to the IOA getting more control.

Also, the new IOA agent on Earth is suitably creepy. Wouldn't mind more of him in the future.

Replicator Todd
November 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Actually that new IOA agent is the head of the IOA(I think). I just hate the IOA more and more...it started in SG1, it grew ten times more in SGA, and in SGU, Camille Wray is my least favorite character. I doubt the IOA really cares about the Destiny.

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
i think the ioa wants to get the crew home and then some how find a way to dail destiny and research the vessal

TheoryCraft
November 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
They're probably up to something. It's the IOA after all. And correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall them ever doing anything good and honest.

Arlan
November 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
i think the ioa wants to get the crew home and then some how find a way to dail destiny and research the vessal

When has the IOA ever been altruistic like that and not had a hidden agenda?

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
When has the IOA ever been altruistic like that and not had a hidden agenda?

i said it

the ioa's agenda is to get abord the destiny but it can only do that by getting the crew home and then the whole ships is there's for the taking

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Does the IOA have a hidden agenda? I mean, don't they have to approve everything anyway? They don't need to have a hidden agenda; they just have to pull funding.

Cecil Brax
November 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah,

The IOA is going to do what they have always done, which is make life more difficult until people do what they want. There are plenty of organizations like that in the real world, and many things don't run smoothly in reality. So the IOA is pretty realistic in the way that it makes life difficult.

On a side note, the new IOA member (Or the head of the IOA if that's what he is) is actually played by one of my favourite actors. He was great on the series 24.

- CB

DigiFluid
November 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I didn't really think there was anything sinister going on. They wanted the people that are on the ship off, so that they could put their own chosen crew on.

the fifth man
November 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I didn't really think there was anything sinister going on. They wanted the people that are on the ship off, so that they could put their own chosen crew on.

The IOA is sinister by nature.

DigiFluid
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The IOA is sinister by nature.
Nah. They're an international bureaucracy made up of representatives of nations all wanting a piece. This isn't the NID we're talking about, it makes sense.

erotavlas
November 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I wasn't too clear on why Earth and the IOA was pushing so hard to bring everyone back to the point of risking killing everyone in the process, especially if the situation has stabilized. Plus Telfords explanation of how they would reestablish a crew on the destiny didn't really make much sense (actually I forget what it was...maybe that's why :P)

MattSilver 3k
November 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
An IOA power play will probably come up later on, but for now I just think they're just waiting some more. I wouldn't be surprised if say they recruited Telford out of the military and to work them as a private contractor like Bates from SGA. If they gave Telford access to the stones when the military does not... It could asplode with tension and all that stuff.

For the record, it is possible for me (And probably others) to like some members of the IOA. Woolsey and Camille are fine enough...

garhkal
November 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
If they gave Telford access to the stones when the military does not... It could asplode with tension and all that stuff.

I doubt it as i seriously doubt there are moire than the 2 terminals..

Sifr
November 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Nah. They're an international bureaucracy made up of representatives of nations all wanting a piece. This isn't the NID we're talking about, it makes sense.

And whats more insidious than a gang of international bureaucrats all trying to get the most power for themselves and influence over the thing they want?

Wait a second...

Are we talking about the IOA or the System Lords? ;)

Mardius
November 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
as far as i can tell all the IOA wants is the ship

Captain Obvious
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I just thought of something that totally could make some possible sense....

Spoiler/Speculation-

Would the IOA try to draft Cloe to work for them? Polisci degree, no specific job on board, and I am sure Wray would love to have another suit on board.

face of jase.
November 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Actually that new IOA agent is the head of the IOA(I think). I just hate the IOA more and more...it started in SG1, it grew ten times more in SGA, and in SGU, Camille Wray is my least favorite character. I doubt the IOA really cares about the Destiny.

yeah, he's the head of the IOA. dale strom, i think his name is.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Simple, the IOA wants control of Destiny..and the only way they can do that is to get the current inhabitants home and get their own team there. I think their plan was naive, not evil.

Spimman
November 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
That IOA guys reminds me of Kinsey from SG-1

ckwongau
November 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Destiny is so far away from milkyway , that make them important.

Destiny's all the data of all the universe's stargate and seekingship data.

Earth maynot be able to use it now, but in a decade, A hundred yr .
The ship and it's data is key to control the universe.

The man space program doesn't have much practical return just yet.But USA,Russia and China still keep it going instead of spend the money on hungry little kid of their country.
Because in the long run , space colonisation is the way of the future.

The IOA countries , like the big 5 US,Russia,China UK,France .
They would do anything if their is a chance if each of their country can one day have their own galaxy.

KEK
November 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Do they really want to get the Destiny crew home, or are they just making another power play within the Stargate program.

Another disaster where even more people die and Ancient technology is lost could lead to egg on the face of the military running the program and be impetus to the IOA getting more control.

Also, the new IOA agent on Earth is suitably creepy. Wouldn't mind more of him in the future.

They don't need to make a power play, everything goes through them already. I think they're genuine in wanting to get everyone home safe.

EllieVee
November 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Destiny is so far away from milkyway , that make them important.

Destiny's all the data of all the universe's stargate and seekingship data.

Earth maynot be able to use it now, but in a decade, A hundred yr .
The ship and it's data is key to control the universe.

The man space program doesn't have much practical return just yet.But USA,Russia and China still keep it going instead of spend the money on hungry little kid of their country.
Because in the long run , space colonisation is the way of the future.

The IOA countries , like the big 5 US,Russia,China UK,France .
They would do anything if their is a chance if each of their country can one day have their own galaxy.

And think of all those useful money-making patents ...

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
They don't need to make a power play, everything goes through them already. I think they're genuine in wanting to get everyone home safe.

Yes, they want the original expedition crew on Destiny which necessitates a means to transmit matter to/from the ship. Maybe once they can accomplish that they would warrant more careful watching but in that respect, everyone has the same 'agenda'

Even the back-dealing between Camille and her boss was based on trying to convince the current inhabitants of Destiny to go along with the plan to get them all home...nothing really sinister

koroush47
November 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
In the series finale they better have the IOA HQ getting nuked or something.

I really hate them.

Betelgeuze
November 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I think they do want to get those people home.

The ulitimate goal of the IOA is think is making sure that every country profits equally from the Stargate program. If only a select number of countries have access to the Stargate and the associated technology. The power divisions on Earth would shift even nore dramatically than they are now. These countries could force the other countries to accept them as world leaders, even though they might not be best equipped for it.

Earth has discovered several uninhabited planets fit for colonization. I think it is a good thing if the IOA decides how the colonization takes place and not individual countries.

There is nothing sinister about the IOA. Of course there will be members who are douche bags, but you have that in every organistation. I never liked it that they made the IOA the bad guys. They could have shown them in a more positive light, because there is nothing wrong with preventing global domination by one country.

garhkal
November 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
How can anyone say they dont have their own hidden agenda say that. THEY ARE POLITICIANS, and like all (or most) here on earth they are all coruptable.

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
How can anyone say they dont have their own hidden agenda say that. THEY ARE POLITICIANS, and like all (or most) here on earth they are all coruptable.

The IOA are bureaucrats not politicians.

Count
November 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
The IOA are pandering all their efforts to get to a ship 10 million years older and LESS ADVANCED then Atlantis, I really dont understand their motivation (tho for people who've never watched SG-1/Atlantis, it's perfectly reasonable) for doing so.

It stands to reason that Atlantis has a copy of everything the Destiny sent back on it's "first run" thru the galaxies before they seeded pegasus, the only thing the Destiny has is a "secure" gate address on a ship on the opposite side of the universe.

KEK
November 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Atlantis is probably too far beyond them to make any real advances from, where as with the Destiny that may not be the case.

Betelgeuze
November 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
The IOA are pandering all their efforts to get to a ship 10 million years older and LESS ADVANCED then Atlantis, I really dont understand their motivation (tho for people who've never watched SG-1/Atlantis, it's perfectly reasonable) for doing so.

I think the IOA is primarily interested in the data the Destiny contains on the planets that were seeded. The Destiny passed through dozens or more galaxies, this means information on millions if not billions of planets. There is no evidence that the Destiny send back the adresses of the gates to Atlantis. So they would want a better team to go to the Destiny to obtain the information.

The only thing i find abit strange is that they found information on the ninth chevron on Atlantis, but not the master code necessary to access all of Destinies systems. It would seem logical that the Ancients made sure that this information was accessible in all their databases. It would probably be thousands of years before they went to Destiny so they could not afford to loose the info during the waiting period.

garhkal
November 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
The IOA are bureaucrats not politicians.

And there is a difference between the two?